Tim Tebow Released: MERGED

F.Chowds

He was brought in after Sanchez failed to progress in 2011, allegedly to run the wildcat as a change of pace while Sanchez handled the rest.

Unspoken, but understood by everyone, was that if Tebow made good plays in the wildcat and Sanchez continued to decline, that Tebow would be given a shot at the #1 QB slot.

Well, Tebow didn't do well at all in the wildcat.  In fact the whole wildcat thing got looked upon as a failure by the end.  So when QB play got so bad that a replacement had to be made, Tebow was looked upon as another proven failure and they went to McElroy.  By that time the season was shot anyway.

In fairness to Tebow, a couple of things went against him. That extra weight the team told him to put on probably hurt him in the wildcat.  If Hall had held onto a perfectly thrown ball by Tebow and ran in for a long touchdown, they might have called more passing plays out of the wildcat from then on and the whole experiment might have been a success.  But it didn't happen.

But I'm not outraged by the treatment of Tebow.  He had a shot, albeit an imperfect one, on a team with a QB who was ready for replacement and he couldn't impress enough in practice and on the field to get it done.  Many have been cut with much less of a shot than that.

Come on.  Tebow had no shot.   They gave McElroy a shot and he sucked.  They gave Sanchez multiple shots and he sucked.  Tebow came in for a few plays now and again and ran up the middle.  That's not a shot, that's just not wanting the guy to play.     We all know Tebow is not a good NFL QB.  But certain things worked for him in Denver.  Was he going to be a high completion guy?  Not even close.  Would he be a good QB?  No.   But he did help the Broncos win a playoff game and win 8 games.    

It was an organizational failure.  They never ran him in any formation.  They had a few stupid plays that never made sense and when they brought him in it was even stupider.     The Wildcat in it's run up the middle theory hasn't worked since Miami used it that a long time ago.   The Jets had no clue what they were doing and afte awhile it was obvious they didn't even want Tebow on the team.    

Tebow sucks as a QB, but thinking the Jets gave him a shot is kind of clueless.   The Jets sucked as a team last year.  Their offense sucked even worse.   If they threw Tebow in instead of McElroy and he sucked,  at least then you could say they give him a shot.  Instead they never played him.  And truthfully they probably never used him much in practice either.

It's funny how some people are saying Ivory never got a fair shot to prove himself, but yet somehow the Jets gave Tebow a shot last year.   Tebow might suck as a QB, but nobody in their right mind would say the Jets actually gave him a shot to do anything.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what you are saying. I think you are trying too hard to create a debate out this, because losing arguments with me gives you boners.

I was psyched about them acquiring him, and yes, using him as a RB. As a key part of the running game. They didn't use him "exactly" how I wanted. Punt protector, one wildcat here and there. I wanted them to use him like Mike Alstott. A short yardage RB, that never happened. I also took that position because I though Sanchez would get better, NOT become un-startable.

What's really going on here is you are hell-bent on trying to prove to anyone who will listen to you that I'm being a manipulative liar, which seems to be a recurring agenda for you these days. It's been a while since the last flair up...

When Sanchez went off the cliff and the options became 1.) start Tebow, 2.) start McElroy, or 3.) flush the season and keep staring Sanchez. I opted for #1. As I've explained many times, the biggest knock on Tebow is low comp %. Sanchez was already matching Tebow there. Sanchez was worse than Tebow with turnovers, and Tebow used to be able to run the ball too. The big thing was that Tebow might have inspired/motivated the team around him, while it was paifully apparent Sanchez's moping motivated NOBODY.

That was my logic. It was reactive, given the circumstances. I stand by it. I'm not sure why you are painting this as me "changing like the direction of the wind". My point of view on Tebow has, and remained "glad to have him". As the season wore on, my desire to see us win, and basic logic, led me to campaigning to let Tebow start because he was (as I saw it) the best of our bad options. I hardly think the evolution of my thought on this is criminal. You need to get the **** over it.

And yes, of course it failed. It failed at an organizational level though. Tebow did exactly what they asked of him. I wish they had given him a chance to either sink or swim, as a RB or with a start or 2 at QB, since we learned last season we had no QB (someone we didn't know when Tebow was acquired) but they didn't. Ultimately he's like Favre, he helped rid us of a bad regime.

No reason to pursue argument over this any further. Find someone else to grind on. After how you handled yourself our last mafia game, I don't really care to do this back-and-forth with you.

Thanks for proving my point considering nearly half of this was your over-dramatizations of what I've allegedly said or done, to the point of citing mafia games, which really speaks volumes.  I'd like to point out that, of the two of us, you're the only one who's tried to grasp onto conspiracy theories as a means to support your current position.  My point has been simple and consistent throughout, which is that I believe that Tebow was, is and will continue to be a poor NFL player.  That was only compounded by the excessive cost and baggage that came along with him, the latter of which I have repeatedly acknowledged is not his fault, but is still a reality nonetheless.

Keep in mind, this entire argument kicked back up for the simple reason that when the prospect of keeping Tebow was brought up this weekend, I made a statement regarding my opposition to it, which incited you to start going on about me and what you claimed were my supposed opinions of Tebow as everything but a football player.  If you don't want to get into it with me than so be it, but then you'll have to learn to accept that I'm still going to have times when I disagree with you about football topics as long as we're both still posting here.

I also think some teams are afraid of Tebow.  Bigger than life personality.  His cult following.  He awkward QB skills.  His leadership.  Who knows.  

A team like the Jags suck, have no QB, didn't exactly draft anybody to be their future QB,  and still don't want Tebow.   I don't think thats a knock on Tebow, that's just a stupid organization.   Say what you want about the Broncos and Tebow, they went out and got Peyton Manning. It was like the dumped Tebow for Kevin Kolb.

I dont know why the guy is loved so much. It's like a Notre Dame tradition or something.  Many people love that school, never going close to that school, and nobody really has a reason why.  Hell look at all the people who defended Te'o after the 'Bama game, after the fake GF issue, after a bad combine.    And a ton of people were in love with Brady Quinn.  Tebow isn't a Notre dame product, but he gets that fanfare.  That cult following.   I really don't know why. Seems like a nice enough kid, has personality and all, but he sucks as a QB.   Then again, Kevin Kolb and Skeleton and McElroy suck as QBs too.   Blaine Gabbart and Chad henned are better?   Anybody on the raiders last season?   

It's odd how he's really done little for people to love or hate him in the NFL.   He's not a very good QB, so what.  He gets hyped up, but Vick was hyped up for years and the guy couldn't throw an accurate pass to save his life.  And then he went to prison and people still defended him.  So I don't get the hate or the love.      I don't understand why the Jets traded for him, didn't use him at all, and so on.   The Jets didn't really need any more media attention.   Now the Jags, tebow probably fills that stadium for a season. even if he sucks.    thats why him going to a team like them who never seems to go anywhere but to the bottom of the NFL would be a smart move.    Why they don't, that's the million dollar question.  Or they are just a dumb organization.

Thanks for proving my point considering nearly half of this was your over-dramatizations of what I've allegedly said or done, to the point of citing mafia games, which really speaks volumes.  I'd like to point out that, of the two of us, you're the only one who's tried to grasp onto conspiracy theories as a means to support your current position.  My point has been simple and consistent throughout, which is that I believe that Tebow was, is and will continue to be a poor NFL player.  That was only compounded by the excessive cost and baggage that came along with him, the latter of which I have repeatedly acknowledged is not his fault, but is still a reality nonetheless.

Keep in mind, this entire argument kicked back up for the simple reason that when the prospect of keeping Tebow was brought up this weekend, I made a statement regarding my opposition to it, which incited you to start going on about me and what you claimed were my supposed opinions of Tebow as everything but a football player.  If you don't want to get into it with me than so be it, but then you'll have to learn to accept that I'm still going to have times when I disagree with you about football topics as long as we're both still posting here.

Someone had to prove your point, because you sure couldn't. LOL, honestly I'm not sure what your point is... You said I "changed direction like the wind," which insinuates rapid, and multiple changes of direction. I've illustrated that I've been pro-Tebow since we acquired him, I wanted him to be our "Alstott" and as it became evident that Sanchez is a nightmare, I supported giving him a shot to start a couple of games at QB, to see if he could ignite this team. A team our coach has "lost" the past 2 years. 

Where am I "changing direction"? How does this "prove your point"? Why are you treating a conversation like it's a grand jury case, you sound like a ******* idiot. 

This argument didn't "kick back up" because of anything I've said to you either, you are full of sh*t. The other night I very blatantly opted out of arguing with you about Tebow, specifically stating I know I'm not going to change your mind, and basically respected your position, though I disagree with it. 

Today, I was having a conversation with BleedGreen216 or whatever his screen name is.... and you came romping in to grind your axe. It's clear this isn't about a "football disagreement" as you are uncorking the same litany of bottled up disdain for me you did during the mafia game. Which is exactly why I referenced the mafia game. You went completely batsh*t in that game, started referencing a long history and examples of all my character flaws and sh*t, it had nothing to do with the game and crossed lines I wouldn't cross for any reason in those games, or in any disagreement. Now you are here acting like because I don't want to let you unleash your bi-polar bullsh*t on me, it's my bad? I laugh in your ******* face.

Here, this is you stoking the fire... 

Screw Tebow. Guy refused to try another position. Pride comes before the fall. He is not a QB and I am sick of hearing that a$$hole cry about his situation. Got paid millions to sit a season out. See ya dickhead.

You are wrong.

Tebow was traded for and brought here being told he'd be first up at QB if Sanchez faltered. Well, Sanchez faltered to the point where we just added 2 new QBs to replace him. Yet, Tebow was never even given a spot start. 

They told him to gain a bunch of weight and learn to play these stupid gimmick roles, like punt protector and wildcat. Never focused on improving his mechanics. Not only was it the wrong way to handle Tebow, but it was gross negligence of the QB position on this team to not truly have someone able to step in for Sanchez as he spiraled out of control.

Tebow wasn't the one at fault in all of this. The Jets were. From what I can see, Tebow was hired to be an assistant manager, then told to mop the floors, he grabbed the mop and did it the best he could, while his employer invested nothing in making him a better manager, nor did they align his actual job with the expectations they set during the hiring practice.

I don't care how he got paid, if you have a career goal that drives you, that's all that is going to matter. Reaching your goal, not compensation.

I've been in his shoes, it's a horrible predicament for a someone willing to do whatever he can to help, but also who has clearly defined goals he wants to reach. It sucks.

I wish him the best. I wish we'd never traded for him, out of fairness to him. I wish, since he was here, that we'd used him. It would have at least been fun to watch.

I must say, I find it quite hilarious how much crap you give me for my opinion of Tebow as a player, yet your position has changed like the wind over the past year regarding Tebow, what he really is and whose fault that supposedly is, simply because you can't accept the fact that your endless blind defending of this trade was completely unfounded and proven to be ridiculous.  The guy was an awful QB from day one and nothing did, or was going to, change that.  The problem was the Jets making the trade to begin with, and just because the GM was a freakin' moron doesn't mean the entire Jets' coaching staff should commit themselves to a guy they made it quite clear they all wanted nothing to do with.  As it is they went out of their way more than enough to try to get a guy on the field when he was a backup QB that they thought couldn't play QB.  In the end, it would seem rather apparent the Jets' new GM had no use for him either, even with the opportunity of the changes in the front office and offensive coaching staff to potentially give him a clean slate.

Get some meds mother****er.

Come on.  Tebow had no shot.   They gave McElroy a shot and he sucked.  They gave Sanchez multiple shots and he sucked........  Tebow might suck as a QB, but nobody in their right mind would say the Jets actually gave him a shot to do anything.

I really think the wildcat was working better when Tebow was allowed to pass out of it.  If Hill had not dropped that pass and run in for the TD, they would have kept the passing option open, the wildcat would have worked better and they may have gone to Tebow late in the season because he was proving productive.

It might have been only one play, only one drop, but had the play gone the other way things might have been different for Tebow here.  Oh well.

You have admitted repeatedly that Tebow sucks, so why spend time lambasting the Jets' treatment of him?  If what you are saying is true, the Jets unjustly treated a player who sucked anyway, who had he been given a shot might possibly have shown that he sucks slightly less than Sanchez, but who in no way constituted any real answer for the Jets' offense and who would need to be replaced anyway. 

Why do you bother?

One of the more disgraceful handlings of a player, ever. Trade for him, promise him 20 snaps, then bury him on the bench while the starter is having possibly the worst season a modern era QB has ever had, then play Greg McElroy over him in a lost season.

i think the plan WAS to give him more snaps. but once they realized how bad he was they just couldn't do it .

Someone had to prove your point, because you sure couldn't. LOL, honestly I'm not sure what your point is... You said I "changed direction like the wind," which insinuates rapid, and multiple changes of direction. I've illustrated that I've been pro-Tebow since we acquired him, I wanted him to be our "Alstott" and as it became evident that Sanchez is a nightmare, I supported giving him a shot to start a couple of games at QB, to see if he could ignite this team. A team our coach has "lost" the past 2 years. 

Where am I "changing direction"? How does this "prove your point"? Why are you treating a conversation like it's a grand jury case, you sound like a ******* idiot. 

This argument didn't "kick back up" because of anything I've said to you either, you are full of sh*t. The other night I very blatantly opted out of arguing with you about Tebow, specifically stating I know I'm not going to change your mind, and basically respected your position, though I disagree with it. 

Today, I was having a conversation with BleedGreen216 or whatever his screen name is.... and you came romping in to grind your axe. It's clear this isn't about a "football disagreement" as you are uncorking the same litany of bottled up disdain for me you did during the mafia game. Which is exactly why I referenced the mafia game. You went completely batsh*t in that game, started referencing a long history and examples of all my character flaws and sh*t, it had nothing to do with the game and crossed lines I wouldn't cross for any reason in those games, or in any disagreement. Now you are here acting like because I don't want to let you unleash your bi-polar bullsh*t on me, it's my bad? I laugh in your ******* face.

Here, this is you stoking the fire... 

Get some meds mother****er.

It's 314. Because that's where we sat in the old Stadium.

One of the better stories on PFT today: 

CFL GM says Tebow would compete to be a backup
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 29, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
350x-311.jpg?w=375Reuters

Now it’s starting to get ugly.

The general manager of the Montreal Alouettes, the team which holds the rights to Tim TebowNorth of the border, said he’d welcome the former Jets backup.

To be their backup.

Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said Tebowwould be the backup behind Anthony Calvillo, while he learns the Canadian game.

“If he wants to come to Canada he would be in the same situation as the one he was in with New York,” Popp said, via Dave Naylor of TSN.ca. “He can come here and compete to be the backup to Anthony Calvillo and learn the game, just like Jeff Garcia did [behind Doug Flutie]. And one day he might be the guy; that’s our vision. He can learn from the best.”

That said, Popp hasn’t contacted Tebow’s agent, and assumes he’s going to try every avenue in the NFL before he even considers coming to the CFL.

“If [Tebow] wants to come to Canada he will reach out to us,” said Popp. “And if he wants to come to Canada we would take a look at him.”

The way today’s going, it may be worth a look, as no one in the NFL is really rushing to his aid.

I love Idzik for this move. I was shakin in my boots when he let all our players, even good players, leave. Moreover, he traded my beloved Revis (even though i know it was a move that had to be done). But he is slowly getting rid of the Circus connotation that comes with the New York Jets. 

I love that he released Tebow. I thought i hated our draft but I am starting to like it more and more each day. 

Idzik is a good man.

Hope he gets another shot. He got screwed over by the Jets, but that's football. With that said, let the Geno Smith era begin.

Couldn't agree more! What the Jets did was shameful and unfair to both Mark and Tim, regardless of their abilities. Good luck to both!

One of the better stories on PFT today: 

“If [Tebow] wants to come to Canada he will reach out to us,” said Popp. “And if he wants to come to Canada we would take a look at him.”

The way today’s going, it may be worth a look, as no one in the NFL is really rushing to his aid.

Looks bad, but there probably is not much else Montreal can say.  The Canadians like to pretend the two leagues are roughly equal, so they can't publicly act that Tebow would automatically be a huge upgrade over their own QB.  Besides, he might not play the Canadian game well-I remember Vince Ferragamo, (good NFL QB, crap CFL QB).

Just heard he showed up early this morning to practice and Rex Ryan advised him hes been released.

Rex Ryan,Woody Johnson the Jets organization has sunk to a new all time low.

Tim Tebow deserved better.

did his checks clear ?   poor tim.  he's gonna have to retire at age 25 healthy and wealthy, buy 5 mega churches and preach for the rest of his life

bummer

Just heard he showed up early this morning to practice and Rex Ryan advised him hes been released.

Did this actually happen?     If it did, i'm sorry but this is on Idzik, Woody, & Rex and it speaks volumes of unprofessionalism.   Talk about not changing the culture at all.

How are players normally released?  Is this any different?

Because in training camp I keep hearing about how the players dread being told to "come to the office and bring your playbook".

How are players normally released?  Is this any different?

Because in training camp I keep hearing about how the players dread being told to "come to the office and bring your playbook".

only the jets release players.  all other teams throw a parade and give them a "release bonus" with hookers and coke

only the jets release players.  all other teams throw a parade and give them a "release bonus" with hookers and coke

I laughed. I really did.

I was happy to hear Tebow had been released. He seems like a decent guy and a hard worker, but his fans are f*cking annoying and I am tired of the media nonsense. Once I heard the news I avoided ESPN all day. Cimini has been unbearable. I don't care about poor Timmy's hurt feelings, I'm done with the guy. Good luck, but GTFO.

Let's face it ... under Rex Ryan, this organization has become as "low class" as you can get in in every manner possible.

This.

All he's truly done is entrench Giants fans in their position as the "classy ones". Well, that and waste 4 years on his way to hitting the "reset" button. 

So they should have sent him a telegram? wtf did you expect? This is professional football.

What we know:

1) The Jets gave Tebow and his agent the opportunity to seek a trade partner, AND attempted to trade Tebow themselves, but no one offered so much as a 7th rounder. 

2) We released him, giving him 3+ months to find another team (Jacksonville?) rather than deal with a 6-QB open competition he had no chance of winning, and THEN cutting him.  And this coming from a GM that did not trade for Tebow and had no ties/perceived obligations to him.

3) Tebow refuses to play any position other than QB, and his stubborness (seen by many as a GOOD trait) is costing him any value as an NFL player. 

Yet the Jets are classless.  OK.

Poor Tim he has an offer from Lingerie league

Here's hoping Tim Tebow has developed a taste for women's undergarments ... because TMZ has learned, the teamless QB has just been offered a new job with the "Lingerie" Football League.

The LFL -- now known as Legends Football League -- sent Tebow's agent a letter moments ago, offering the former Jets QB a swanky new coaching position ... after the Jets fired his ass this morning.

LFL President Mitchell Mortaza writes, "Now that it appears Mr. Tim Tebow's career in the National Football League may be coming to an end, we at Legends Football League would like to extend him an offer to become our Quarterbacks Coach nationally."

The letter doesn't explain Tim's duties or how much he'd be getting paid ... but it's better than nothing.

Archived