Tim Tebow Released: MERGED

F.Chowds

While I appreciate that he was given someone's word about his future here, you also have to give some consideration to the fact that he may have reported to camp and repeatedly stunk it up in practice to the point where he had no longer earned the right to QB the team. For MacElroy's short comings, he is technically solid and neither of us know what the story was on Tebow's workouts.

He was told to gain weight, unnecessarily, and then performed worse. Golly.

Also, I'm not buying that "stunk it up in practice" thing. That's what we were told. There was clearly an agenda to keep him out of the lineup. You think we got the truth? LOL

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say, I find it quite hilarious how much crap you give me for my opinion of Tebow as a player, yet your position has changed like the wind over the past year regarding Tebow, what he really is and whose fault that supposedly is, simply because you can't accept the fact that your endless blind defending of this trade was completely unfounded and proven to be ridiculous.  The guy was an awful QB from day one and nothing did, or was going to, change that.  The problem was the Jets making the trade to begin with, and just because the GM was a freakin' moron doesn't mean the entire Jets' coaching staff should commit themselves to a guy they made it quite clear they all wanted nothing to do with.  As it is they went out of their way more than enough to try to get a guy on the field when he was a backup QB that they thought couldn't play QB.  In the end, it would seem rather apparent the Jets' new GM had no use for him either, even with the opportunity of the changes in the front office and offensive coaching staff to potentially give him a clean slate.

Integrity is right this far; the Broncos under Fox figured out how to take advantage of his talent, limited as it may be.Wrecks Ryan couldn't do that.

I must say, I find it quite hilarious how much crap you give me for my opinion of Tebow as a player, yet your position has changed like the wind over the past year regarding Tebow, what he really is and whose fault that supposedly is, simply because you can't accept the fact that your endless blind defending of this trade was completely unfounded and proven to be ridiculous.  The guy was an awful QB from day one and nothing did, or was going to, change that.  The problem was the Jets making the trade to begin with, and just because the GM was a freakin' moron doesn't mean the entire Jets' coaching staff should commit themselves to a guy they made it quite clear they all wanted nothing to do with.  As it is they went out of their way more than enough to try to get a guy on the field when he was a backup QB that they thought couldn't play QB.  In the end, it would seem rather apparent the Jets' new GM had no use for him either, even with the opportunity of the changes in the front office and offensive coaching staff to potentially give him a clean slate.

How has my positions changed?

When we got him I was psyched. When Sanchez started sucking I pointed to the knock on Tebow (low completion percentage) and said it matches Sanchez comp%, BUT with Tebow you get the running AND the fact that he can motivate/lead the team... while Sanchez sulks and needs to be coddle by the whole ******* organization.

You've espoused blind disdain for Tebow. I don't try to change your mind about it, it's pointless.

I've been a supporter of his, but from a "these are the realities of the situation" standpoint all along. I don't blindly say "love Tebow" like you say "hate Tebow". I actually look at the facts: he was lied to, he was asked to gain weight, he was asked to do stupid gimmicks, he was never given a shot, and when Sanchez was losing us games, it was because he turns the ball over constantly and can't complete passes.... my logic was Tebow protect the ball a little better, completes same amount of passes, runs and inspires.

Sorry, I wanted to win games. My bad.

Lets not all forget this was a publicity stunt gone wrong all done by our great owner Woody Johnson who cares more about selling tickets than winning games.

Tim Tebow is a victim here.

Apparently Woody still owes Broncos and Tim $$. Terrible decision but a stupid owner.

Also, I'm not buying that "stunk it up in practice" thing. That's what we were told. There was clearly an agenda to keep him out of the lineup. You think we got the truth? LOL

Rex and Woody sabotaged any chance this kid had here. Sanchez was the worst in the NFL last season Tebow would have outplayed Sanchez and Rex knew it.

Rex needs to go.

Rex and Woody sabotaged any chance this kid had here. Sanchez was the worst in the NFL last season Tebow would have outplayed Sanchez and Rex knew it.

Rex needs to go.

Rex was making a statement IMO. Tebow was forced upon him and he wanted everyone to know it. It was a terrible move for the organisation. Putting him in would have accomplished absolutely nothing, the worst case scenario is he would have got us to the playoffs only to be dumped out by the first good team we'd face, it would have set us back years.

Rex played it right. He always does. Rex is the GOAT. You're not worthy.

The kid just flat out is not a good quarterback.  His agents were given the opportunity to seek a trade this entire off-season, before the draft, and every one of the 31 other teams in the league passed on him and his ability to play Quarterback.  The Jets did not ruin this kid, if he had any modicum of talent, at least one of the other 31 teams would have taken a flier on his ability to play quarterback, instead, only a couple teams inquired about him wanting to play TE, which he rejected.  

Either he goes to the CFL and tries to prove he can play or he finally swallows his pride, like many others have done, and try to make a name for yourself in the NFL doing something else.  

Bad timing for Timmy, and all that stuff.  The Jets obviously tried to get something (anything) for him before/during the draft, but came up empty.  Only a moron would think their master plan was to wait and just cut him out of maliciousness or spite.  Can't blame the team for the guy's complete lack of trade value.  

xyonfurtqc.jpg

Yeah if John Elway had first hand look at Tebow and did not think anything of him-but Woody wanted to make a splash and brought him here and the entire Jets organization suffered from it.

i dont think thats entirley fair

elway got peyton it wasnt another scrub who replaced tebow

Bad timing for Timmy, and all that stuff.  The Jets obviously tried to get something (anything) for him before/during the draft, but came up empty.  Only a moron would think their master plan was to wait and just cut him out of maliciousness or spite.  Can't blame the team for the guy's complete lack of trade value.

Well sorta, the Jets didn't really do anything with him last season to make any other team have interest in him.  If anything, other teams may feel his presence will destruct their current QB like it did to sanchez..  The whole thing was just a crap shoot

I don't think we've known the truth since they had the Tuna running things.

Yeah if John Elway had first hand look at Tebow and did not think anything of him-but Woody wanted to make a splash and brought him here and the entire Jets organization suffered from it.

Elway clearly made a mistake.

Tebow was 1-1 in the playoffs.

Manning was 0-1.

How has my positions changed?

When we got him I was psyched. When Sanchez started sucking I pointed to the knock on Tebow (low completion percentage) and said it matches Sanchez comp%, BUT with Tebow you get the running AND the fact that he can motivate/lead the team... while Sanchez sulks and needs to be coddle by the whole ******* organization.

You've espoused blind disdain for Tebow. I don't try to change your mind about it, it's pointless.

I've been a supporter of his, but from a "these are the realities of the situation" standpoint all along. I don't blindly say "love Tebow" like you say "hate Tebow". I actually look at the facts: he was lied to, he was asked to gain weight, he was asked to do stupid gimmicks, he was never given a shot, and when Sanchez was losing us games, it was because he turns the ball over constantly and can't complete passes.... my logic was Tebow protect the ball a little better, completes same amount of passes, runs and inspires.

Sorry, I wanted to win games. My bad.

When the Jets got him, you gushed about how it was a great move and that Tebow wasn't brought in to be a QB, but rather to bring all of these other options to the Jets and how good that was going to be for them.  As it turned out, to give credit where it's due, the Jets used him exactly the way you said they would and should.  That said, it was still an utter failure, at which point you started off on this new position of yours, talking about how awful it was that they handled him the way they did, which is completely contradictory to your entire initial position.  I think Tebow is a definitively proven terrible NFL QB, and that has always been my position, nothing more and nothing less, regardless of the dramatics you try to assign to my opinions.  The truth is that, more than anything, I blasted the Jets for making what I felt was a mind-numbingly stupid move in trading for him to begin with.  At this point I simply didn't want the Jets spending their time on a player I felt brought next to nothing to the table other than cost and distraction.  It would appear John Idzik agreed with that evaluation, at least to some extent.

Feel free to paint me as whatever you want, but it seems you are incapable of accepting that you turned out to be wrong, and so have tried to paint the Jets as villains in an attempt to justify your initial support of what become a monumental failure, instead of just owning up to that fact.  It's how you've addressed this entire thing, a series dramatics about what others have supposedly said and done, acting as if that shows something other than you needing to resort to that.  The Tebow experiment was a complete and utter failure, and the primary reason why is nothing more than because he's not a particularly good player.  The Jets' handling of the situation was a mess the moment they decided to bring him in, but it's rather humorous to hear you keep going on about the how it horrible it was for the Jets to do exactly what you said they should with him, simply because it failed to work out how you had hoped it would.  It was apparent to plenty of people that this moved was doomed to begin with, and I'm sorry that you feel the need to lash out again simply because you didn't see that and took such great issue with those who did at the time, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Untrue. If you bring a guy in saying "you'll be our QB and next up after Sanchez" and then Sanchez gets benched, you lied. If they never wanted him to be a QB, then they should have told him what his new position was. 

NO successful organization, that relies on it's employees to perform, can be successful when they routinely set misaligned expectations with their employees.

Your whole 2nd paragraph I agree with. I think Rex hates God and the gays, that's also why he didn't just cut Kerry Rhodes, but spent part of his book over-rationalizing why.

Situations change. WHat they said before the season doesnt have relevance once the season is going.  What they should have done (Rex) was let timmy know what the current situation was.  Thats where they failed.  They didnt fail in not fulfilling a promise from months ago. They failed when they refused to communicate with Timmy on what was going on.

I dont ever want a team or a company just hand someone a position just because they promised it to them in the past.

Whatever, Broncos/Elway knew what they were doing, not even Jax wanted this guy even for a couple of mill. Jets wanted to sell tix and jerseys. 

Revenue from jersey sales is shared between the teams.  40% of ticket sales goes to visiting team.

Woody just wanted to sell more hot dogs and $10 beers.

Revenue from jersey sales is shared between the teams.  40% of ticket sales goes to visiting team.

Woody just wanted to sell more hot dogs and $10 beers.

Fair enough. Somebody else problem now. 

Bleedin Green, on 29 Apr 2013 - 12:28, said:

When the Jets got him, you gushed about how it was a great move and that Tebow wasn't brought in to be a QB, but rather to bring all of these other options to the Jets and how good that was going to be for them. As it turned out, to give credit where it's due, the Jets used him exactly the way you said they would and should. That said, it was still an utter failure, at which point you started off on this new position of yours, talking about how awful it was that they handled him the way they did, which is completely contradictory to your entire initial position. I think Tebow is a definitively proven terrible NFL QB, and that has always been my position, nothing more and nothing less, regardless of the dramatics you try to assign to my opinions. The truth is that, more than anything, I blasted the Jets for making what I felt was a mind-numbingly stupid move in trading for him to begin with. At this point I simply didn't want the Jets spending their time on a player I felt brought next to nothing to the table other than cost and distraction. It would appear John Idzik agreed with that evaluation, at least to some extent.

Feel free to paint me as whatever you want, but it seems you are incapable of accepting that you turned out to be wrong, and so have tried to paint the Jets as villains in an attempt to justify your initial support of what become a monumental failure, instead of just owning up to that fact. It's how you've addressed this entire thing, a series dramatics about what others have supposedly said and done, acting as if that shows something other than you needing to resort to that. The Tebow experiment was a complete and utter failure, and the primary reason why is nothing more than because he's not a particularly good player. The Jets' handling of the situation was a mess the moment they decided to bring him in, but it's rather humorous to hear you keep going on about the how it horrible it was for the Jets to do exactly what you said they should with him, simply because it failed to work out how you had hoped it would. It was apparent to plenty of people that this moved was doomed to begin with, and I'm sorry that you feel the need to lash out again simply because you didn't see that and took such great issue with those who did at the time, but that doesn't make it any less true.

I see what you are saying. I think you are trying too hard to create a debate out this, because losing arguments with me gives you boners.

I was psyched about them acquiring him, and yes, using him as a RB. As a key part of the running game. They didn't use him "exactly" how I wanted. Punt protector, one wildcat here and there. I wanted them to use him like Mike Alstott. A short yardage RB, that never happened. I also took that position because I though Sanchez would get better, NOT become un-startable.

What's really going on here is you are hell-bent on trying to prove to anyone who will listen to you that I'm being a manipulative liar, which seems to be a recurring agenda for you these days. It's been a while since the last flair up...

When Sanchez went off the cliff and the options became 1.) start Tebow, 2.) start McElroy, or 3.) flush the season and keep staring Sanchez. I opted for #1. As I've explained many times, the biggest knock on Tebow is low comp %. Sanchez was already matching Tebow there. Sanchez was worse than Tebow with turnovers, and Tebow used to be able to run the ball too. The big thing was that Tebow might have inspired/motivated the team around him, while it was paifully apparent Sanchez's moping motivated NOBODY.

That was my logic. It was reactive, given the circumstances. I stand by it. I'm not sure why you are painting this as me "changing like the direction of the wind". My point of view on Tebow has, and remained "glad to have him". As the season wore on, my desire to see us win, and basic logic, led me to campaigning to let Tebow start because he was (as I saw it) the best of our bad options. I hardly think the evolution of my thought on this is criminal. You need to get the **** over it.

And yes, of course it failed. It failed at an organizational level though. Tebow did exactly what they asked of him. I wish they had given him a chance to either sink or swim, as a RB or with a start or 2 at QB, since we learned last season we had no QB (someone we didn't know when Tebow was acquired) but they didn't. Ultimately he's like Favre, he helped rid us of a bad regime.

No reason to pursue argument over this any further. Find someone else to grind on. After how you handled yourself our last mafia game, I don't really care to do this back-and-forth with you.

Situations change. WHat they said before the season doesnt have relevance once the season is going.  What they should have done (Rex) was let timmy know what the current situation was.  Thats where they failed.  They didnt fail in not fulfilling a promise from months ago. They failed when they refused to communicate with Timmy on what was going on.

I dont ever want a team or a company just hand someone a position just because they promised it to them in the past.

Fair enough.

However, I would have liked to see them actually try out the job they hired him for ... at least once. I mean, in a losing season it's due diligence to see what you've got on the roster going into the next year. 

It's organizational failure. Plain and simple. 

Tebow has been replaced by Genow.

Tebow should have made some guaruntees in his press conferences.

Like: I guaruntees we win if you start me over that loser Sanchez.

Or: I guaruntees I could play better than McElroy if you give me chance this week.

Screw Tim Tebow. It was a bad idea that was executed even more poorly. I have more regrets about the picks and cash given up for him than I do about the way he was handled.

Exactly. It was a bad personnel move that was executed even worse.

It's like deciding to play Russian Roulette and then thinking its a good idea to put 5 bullets in the gun.

One of the more disgraceful handlings of a player, ever. Trade for him, promise him 20 snaps, then bury him on the bench while the starter is having possibly the worst season a modern era QB has ever had, then play Greg McElroy over him in a lost season.

He was brought in after Sanchez failed to progress in 2011, allegedly to run the wildcat as a change of pace while Sanchez handled the rest.

Unspoken, but understood by everyone, was that if Tebow made good plays in the wildcat and Sanchez continued to decline, that Tebow would be given a shot at the #1 QB slot.

Well, Tebow didn't do well at all in the wildcat.  In fact the whole wildcat thing got looked upon as a failure by the end.  So when QB play got so bad that a replacement had to be made, Tebow was looked upon as another proven failure and they went to McElroy.  By that time the season was shot anyway.

In fairness to Tebow, a couple of things went against him. That extra weight the team told him to put on probably hurt him in the wildcat.  If Hall had held onto a perfectly thrown ball by Tebow and ran in for a long touchdown, they might have called more passing plays out of the wildcat from then on and the whole experiment might have been a success.  But it didn't happen.

But I'm not outraged by the treatment of Tebow.  He had a shot, albeit an imperfect one, on a team with a QB who was ready for replacement and he couldn't impress enough in practice and on the field to get it done.  Many have been cut with much less of a shot than that.

Archived