Jason Collins first Openly Homosexual American Male Athlete.

BroadwayJoe12

Feel free to move this as I know this is an NBA player, but I figured what with the discussions of players in the NFL coming out and the magnitude of this article it was worth being in this forum.  I wonder if this will be the foundation of other professional athletes finally coming out.  Took a lot of balls to be the first man to come out in pro-sports, good for him. 

Wizards C Jason Collins revealed he is gay, making him the first openly homosexual athlete in the history of major American team sports.
Collins made the groundbreaking revelation in a first-person account as part of this week's issue of Sports Illustrated. "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation," he said. Collins, a 34-year-old 7-footer, has served as a defensive stopper for six different teams over 12 seasons. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer and expects to continue to play in the NBA. Here's Kobe Bryant's response, via Twitter: "Proud of @jasoncollins34," the tweet read. "Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"
Source: Sports Illustrated Apr 29 - 12:16 PM

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is terrible what gay people have to go through. I cant imagine the daily struggle of dealing with the reality that you are gay and the backlash that comes with it.

I am all for people living their lives without interference from others, but I also know that im not as open and welcoming towards people different than me as I pretend to be.  Hopefully I will be able to grow as a person and stop seeing people for their differences.  

Good luck to Mr Collins and all other gay people struggling with coming out to family & friends. Hopefully you can find courage and peace in your own life.

Got him in the same draft as Richard Jefferson, who was a power bottom himself. Good for Collins. I can't even imagine what it's like to get sodomized by a 7'1", 280 lb man.

I imagine you'd just rely on your experience, no imagination necessary.  

Got him in the same draft as Richard Jefferson, who was a power bottom himself. Good for Collins. I can't even imagine what it's like to get sodomized by a 7'1", 280 lb man.

Whatever you say, Mr. Hands.

He's not the first openly gay athlete. He's the first openly gay athlete being made aware to the general public.

Plus Amaechi did the same media tour 6 years ago.

He's the first to do it while still playing.

He's the first to do it while still playing.

Technically he's a free agent, but he's the first one to have his agent shop around the story as an active player I guess. (similar to Amaechi)

Collins is far from being the first openly gay athlete. Teammates and coaches knew about Kerry Rhodes for example. There are gay guys in locker rooms. There have been forever...the general public doesnt need to be made aware of every gay athlete.

When did gay start becoming this damn cool (For Men)???

It isn't "cool" to the world at large, not in the least, but it's become far more acceptable even in the last 5-10 years or so in this country.  I think you're seeing a backlash to the "gay is evil" thing being trumpeted from people of all backgrounds.  The minute someone has a friend that is gay, and you see that that person has a lot to offer to the world and isn't this "evil" person, you defend that friend at all costs.  The majority of people have gay friends these days, so you see that happening all over the place.  Soon, homophobia will be restricted to only really rural types of places.

I think if Collins were a higher profile athlete, this would send some shockwaves, but today's news is only merely a small stepping stone of progress for the gay community.  If, say, LeBron were to come out, NOW you're talkin'.

Archived