Jason Collins first Openly Homosexual American Male Athlete.

BroadwayJoe12

Technically he's a free agent, but he's the first one to have his agent shop around the story as an active player I guess. (similar to Amaechi)

Collins is far from being the first openly gay athlete. Teammates and coaches knew about Kerry Rhodes for example. There are gay guys in locker rooms. There have been forever...the general public doesnt need to be made aware of every gay athlete.

That's why they're using the term "openly gay" and not "his teammates may know he's gay, but he will deny-it-until-death in the media."  Didn't Amaechi say it after retirement?? That's why this is such a big deal, he plans on continuing his career as an openly (to everyone not just a select few) gay player in the NBA; he's definitely the first to do this.  

The general public doesn't have to be made aware of it, but hiding it from the media and public is doing nothing to help foster an environment where people feel comfortable to be who they are.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why they're using the term "openly gay" and not "his teammates may know he's gay, but he will deny-it-until-death in the media."  Didn't Amaechi say it after retirement?? That's why this is such a big deal, he plans on continuing his career as an openly (to everyone not just a select few) gay player in the NBA; he's definitely the first to do this.  

The general public doesn't have to be made aware of it, but hiding it from the media and public is doing nothing to help foster an environment where people feel comfortable to be who they are.

The media isnt asking players their sexuality though either. As a sports fan, I couldnt care less who's gay. I dont need Deadspin and other media outlets constantly bringing it up.

Openly gay doesnt mean having to have a press conference/SI article regarding it. Just screams more attention whoring than actual "courage". There are plenty of openly gay athletes who havent had the press tour.  Just my opinion.

The media isnt asking players their sexuality though either. As a sports fan, I couldnt care less who's gay. I dont need Deadspin and other media outlets constantly bringing it up.

Openly gay doesnt mean having to have a press conference/SI article regarding it. Just screams more attention whoring than actual "courage". There are plenty of openly gay athletes who havent had the press tour.  Just my opinion.

Fair enough and I'm sure there are plenty of gay individuals who just don't want the attention or to be anybody's poster boy.  I just refuted the idea that Rhodes was openly gay; you can't deny you are to the media and then still claim that you're open, that's pretty contradictory.   Hopefully, eventually we won't need any of this and it will just be commonplace, but until more come out, this is gonna be big news.

Fair enough and I'm sure there are plenty of gay individuals who just don't want the attention or to be anybody's poster boy. I just refuted the idea that Rhodes was openly gay; you can't deny you are to the media and then still claim that you're open, that's pretty contradictory. Hopefully, eventually we won't need any of this and it will just be commonplace, but until more come out, this is gonna be big news.

IMO Deadspin isn't helping the cause by ridiculing media outlets not reporting it as front page news. A lot of ppl just don't see it as big news.

He was probably picked to be this guy because he's played for so many teams and has been deemed the guy who can handle it best. He's a veteran who's played on some really good teams. Went to Stanford as a big time recruit. This is all stuff you'll hear about when the book comes out.

He was probably picked to be this guy because he's played for so many teams and has been deemed the guy who can handle it best. He's a veteran who's played on some really good teams. Went to Stanford as a big time recruit. This is all stuff you'll hear about when the book comes out.

Collins does NBA.

He was probably picked to be this guy after being deemed the guy who can handle it best. He's a veteran who's played on some really good teams. Went to Stanford as a big time recruit. This is all stuff you'll hear about when the book comes out.

Fixed because I don't edit before I post. It's still meh, but probably right.

IMO Deadspin isn't helping the cause by ridiculing media outlets not reporting it as front page news. A lot of ppl just don't see it as big news.

Deadspin doesn't help a lot of things, agreed.  That's why I think an SI article is much better than the Huffpo or any of those other sensationlistic media-outlets.  If the guy wants to come out good, if not, that's his choice. Personally, I just hope it is the driving force for more of the gay athletes to come out, so as it's so commonplace a front-page or even backpage story isn't needed.  

Deadspin doesn't help a lot of things, agreed.  That's why I think an SI article is much better than the Huffpo or any of those other sensationlistic media-outlets.  If the guy wants to come out good, if not, that's his choice. Personally, I just hope it is the driving force for more of the gay athletes to come out, so as it's so commonplace a front-page or even backpage story isn't needed.  

Deadspin has really embarrassed themselves today. That site went from an enjoyable fun read with a lighter take on sports, to self aggrandizing, pompous garbage.

How about Tom Brady?

Well, he is dreamy. 

It doesn't have to be a football player though. I give him credit for doing it, but Jason Collins is really a 'nobody' in the league. Now he'll be know for this, and only this. 

It isn't "cool" to the world at large, not in the least, but it's become far more acceptable even in the last 5-10 years or so in this country.  I think you're seeing a backlash to the "gay is evil" thing being trumpeted from people of all backgrounds.  The minute someone has a friend that is gay, and you see that that person has a lot to offer to the world and isn't this "evil" person, you defend that friend at all costs.  The majority of people have gay friends these days, so you see that happening all over the place.  Soon, homophobia will be restricted to only really rural types of places.

I think if Collins were a higher profile athlete, this would send some shockwaves, but today's news is only merely a small stepping stone of progress for the gay community.  If, say, LeBron were to come out, NOW you're talkin'.

Its crazy because its become the new thing to accept. I dont have a personal problem with someone being gay, I have a problem with the propaganda of having to "accept" gay lifestyle. Commercials of celebs are now coming out and using their celebrity status as a level of influence to persuade people into thinking that this is okay, and if you say "its not" then you're obviously some homophobe that is probably a closet racist too lol, as if skin color (Something you have no control over) and sexual promiscuity (an obvious decision of yours) are one in the same (Which by the way shows how retarded racism is lol). My sister is lesbian and she got married last year. I remember her being so scared to tell me but obviously she eventually had to. I let her know "Look, its wrong but you know I love you and that wont change. I'd never disrespect your mate but know that me saying its wrong isnt because I simply say it, its just what it is". See, you can have gay friends and gay family members but still understand that this is a practice that shouldnt be accepted without being an idiot about it. This is the beauty of free-will. You decide what to do, but know that there are rules. Simple as that. 

Not ranting here and of course I wont make this into a debate because I dont want to offend anyone, however, I do find it offensive that this machine called the media/entertainment  finds the time to sway people of accepting other peoples sexual decisions. Ever wonder why that is?...I do. 

Its crazy because its become the new thing to accept. I dont have a personal problem with someone being gay, I have a problem with the propaganda of having to "accept" gay lifestyle. Commercials of celebs are now coming out and using their celebrity status as a level of influence to persuade people into thinking that this is okay, and if you say "its not" then you're obviously some homophobe that is probably a closet racist too lol, as if skin color (Something you have no control over) and sexual promiscuity (an obvious decision of yours) are one in the same (Which by the way shows how retarded racism is lol). My sister is lesbian and she got married last year. I remember her being so scared to tell me but obviously she eventually had to. I let her know "Look, its wrong but you know I love you and that wont change. I'd never disrespect your mate but know that me saying its wrong isnt because I simply say it, its just what it is". See, you can have gay friends and gay family members but still understand that this is a practice that shouldnt be accepted without being an idiot about it. This is the beauty of free-will. You decide what to do, but know that there are rules. Simple as that. 

Not ranting here and of course I wont make this into a debate because I dont want to offend anyone, however, I do find it offensive that this machine called the media/entertainment  finds the time to sway people of accepting other peoples sexual decisions. Ever wonder why that is?...I do. 

So first, you're equating homosexuality with promiscuity, and seem to be suggesting that homosexuality is also "a decision of yours." And then you're flat out saying that homosexuality is wrong, it's just what is. 

Really surprised your sister was scared to tell you. 

In case you weren't aware, you do come across as ignorant and homophobic here. Very generous of you not to disrespect your sister's spouse, though. 

Deadspin has really embarrassed themselves today. That site went from an enjoyable fun read with a lighter take on sports, to self aggrandizing, pompous garbage.

It's easier to think of social movements as products, Matt. There is a need to "sell" these products to the mainstream in order to gain market share (acceptance). Each movement has to market itself. If you personally hate the product, the commercials will disgust you. If you're ambivalent to the product, you'll find the commercials annoying and suspiciously omnipresent (Tampon ads, for instance). If you already own the product, the commercials are white noise. At the end of the day, you get to control how annoyed you are by commercials that may not be directed toward you.

It's easier to think of social movements as products, Matt. There is a need to "sell" these products to the mainstream in order to gain market share (acceptance). Each movement has to market itself. If you personally hate the product, the commercials will disgust you. If you're ambivalent to the product, you'll find the commercials annoying and suspiciously omnipresent (Tampon ads, for instance). If you already own the product, the commercials are white noise. At the end of the day, you get to control how annoyed you are by commercials that may not be directed toward you.

When the product goes from enjoyable to unreadable though, I think you're more apt to get annoyed.

Deadspin is so different now from what made them popular in the beginning, its a political website pushed by Gawker. 

I could say the same about ESPN.

When the product goes from enjoyable to unreadable though, I think you're more apt to get annoyed.

Deadspin is so different now from what made them popular in the beginning, its a political website pushed by Gawker.

I could say the same about ESPN.

Deadspin has always been hit or miss, IMO. They troll like no other and will roll around in the mud for clicks worse than TMZ. I don't really take them seriously for anything. Their whole day has been spent trying to bait homophobes into filling up their comments section.

So first, you're equating homosexuality with promiscuity, and seem to be suggesting that homosexuality is also "a decision of yours." And then you're flat out saying that homosexuality is wrong, it's just what is. 

Really surprised your sister was scared to tell you. 

In case you weren't aware, you do come across as ignorant and homophobic here. Very generous of you not to disrespect your sister's spouse, though. 

I dont mind coming across as ignorant and homophobic. If something is wrong its wrong, sometimes you have to not care about what you come off as....as long as you keep it respectful. I love my sister just like I love some friends that are gay, but if you want to know my take on it, know that I'm going to be honest with you. Doesnt mean that it comes from a hateful or phobic place. 

I dont mind coming across as ignorant and homophobic. If something is wrong its wrong, sometimes you have to not care about what you come off as....as long as you keep it respectful. I love my sister just like I love some friends that are gay, but if you want to know my take on it, know that I'm going to be honest with you. Doesnt mean that it comes from a hateful or phobic place.

This is also how I deal with my openly racist co-workers. I realize that they have a worldview that I disagree with, and I just ignore their racism as much as I can. Those people are going to live and die hating a certain group for reasons that they can't rationally articulate, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to change that.

I don't see how anything between consenting adults, particularly loving consenting adults -that doesn't hurt another living soul- can be labeled as wrong. The fact that you say it's wrong in the same way someone might say the sky is blue is disturbing. 

You implied being gay is a decision. It is not.

I don't think that you're ignorant or homophobic, you're just wrong. 

The human brain is complicated.  That is the reason you are prompted to actually type out the bull spit you are spewing, just as it is the reason that people "choose" homosexuality.  Assuming you are heterosexual, try and remember way back when you first realized you were attracted to someone.  It is instinctual.  You not only think it, you feel it, but regardless, the brain is in control.

While true that thoughts and actions can be "wrong," being gay is hardly one of those instances.  Who is hurt by someone's sexual preference, so long as everything is consensual?

You are by all means entitled to your opinion, but I would like an explanation as to why you view homosexuality as "wrong."

I'm a Christian, but I'm done with the "is being gay right or wrong?" debate.  It isn't up to me to decide that.  It's up to me to treat people with kindness, accept them as they are, and try to understand. 

If I have a son one day, and he ends up gay, I hope I'll have the strength to say "I love you, and there's nothing that can make me love you less", and go from there.

It is terrible what gay people have to go through. I cant imagine the daily struggle of dealing with the reality that you are gay and the backlash that comes with it.

I am all for people living their lives without interference from others, but I also know that im not as open and welcoming towards people different than me as I pretend to be.  Hopefully I will be able to grow as a person and stop seeing people for their differences.  

Good luck to Mr Collins and all other gay people struggling with coming out to family & friends. Hopefully you can find courage and peace in your own life.

i dont htink its all gay people. certainly gay men have i tharde than gay women though. my sister is gay and she seems to have zero problems. matter o ffact some of her girlfriends have been pretty hot and i was ****in jealous.

i dont htink its all gay people. certainly gay men have i tharde than gay women though. my sister is gay and she seems to have zero problems. matter o ffact some of her girlfriends have been pretty hot and i was ****in jealous.

Hot lesbians dont fit the medias agenda. I wish they did.

I don't really buy the idea that major league players who choose to reveal themselves as homosexuals are just seeking publicity, or that publications that bring it to the public's attention are to be condemned for some reason.

In 1975, Dave Kopay became the first NFL player to publicly reveal he is homosexual.  He did it several years after he retired.  Since then several others have revealed themselves-again, after they retired.

Nearly four decades later, there still is not a single NFL player who has felt it was safe to reveal his homosexuality while he was still playing, and Collins is the first still-active NBA player to do so. 

That absolutely is big news, and everyone knows it.

I don't really buy the idea that major league players who choose to reveal themselves as homosexuals are just seeking publicity, or that publications that bring it to the public's attention are to be condemned for some reason.

In 1975, Dave Kopay became the first NFL player to publicly reveal he is homosexual.  He did it several years after he retired.  Since then several others have revealed themselves-again, after they retired.

Nearly four decades later, there still is not a single NFL player who has felt it was safe to reveal his homosexuality while he was still playing, and Collins is the first still-active NBA player to do so. 

That absolutely is big news, and everyone knows it.

Sure its big news for your agenda as the bold is indicates. But Collins is hardly the first openly gay male athlete. There are plenty of others in locker rooms that coaches and players knowingly accept. Barkley, Lebatard were all on the record today saying they know plenty of fellow gay athletes that are open about it yet chose not to go the SI route seeking publicity.

I don't see how anything between consenting adults, particularly loving consenting adults -that doesn't hurt another living soul- can be labeled as wrong. The fact that you say it's wrong in the same way someone might say the sky is blue is disturbing. 

There's alot of things that I dont see as well, so I understand where you're coming from.

Archived