Criticism of Geno Smith Mounts After Draft

flgreen

Criticism of Geno Smith mounts after the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

AP
For NFL draft prospects, seeing criticism in the media from anonymous sources is simply part of the process of going pro. But Jets second-round pick Geno Smith has been taking a surprising amount of criticism after the draft.

From criticism of his statement on Thursday night that he would leave New York after he wasn’t picked in the first round to criticism of his decision after the draft to fire his agents, Smith has already taken a number of shots. Now comes a report from Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports that cites sources with other NFL teams as saying Smith displayed a bad attitude in pre-draft meetings.

Two sources told Cole that when Smith was on pre-draft visits, he spent too much time on the phone, texting friends or reading Twitter.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

Another critic said Smith doesn’t exude leadership the way Bills first-round pick E.J. Manuel does.

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” one executive who studied Smith said. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

The Jets obviously liked Smith well enough to spend a second-round draft pick on him, and as long as Smith makes his new team happy, it really doesn’t matter what the other 31 teams think. But it is becoming clear that a whole lot of people around the NFL don’t think highly of Smith.

The dude's been in the NFL for 5 days and the media is already killing him. Let the kid play a damn down and see how he deals with things then you can criticize him all you want. The New York media and the media in general have a problem speculating and trying to guess what kind of person a player is. It's so dumb and causes unneeded drama.

Report paints new Jets QB Smith as cocky, disinterested
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 5:02 PM, May 1, 2013

AP

Geno Smith after getting picked by Jets.

New Jets quarterback Geno Smith is already taking hits, and he has not even put on a pair of shoulder pads for the team yet.

Yahoo Sports posted a damning report about Smith, the Jets’ second-round draft selection, Wednesday, a day after it surfaced he had fired his agents.

Two anonymous sources told the website that Smith was more interested in his cellphone than interacting with their coaches and front-office executives during his visits. The report states he would be reading Twitter or texting friends rather than talking to coaches.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources told Yahoo. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Smith has declined to say why he fired agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports. He told SiriusXM that it was not because of how the draft went last week when Smith slipped out of the first round and the nation watched him sit in the green room all night.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," the report quotes an anonymous league executive as saying. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

Select Sports issued a statement defending its treatment of Smith.

"We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," the statement reads. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

"Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

The website quotes a source saying Smith is looking for someone to blame for his slip in the draft and that could have led to the firing of his agents.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.

Read more: Report paints new Jets QB Smith as cocky, disinterested http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/report_paints_new_jets_qb_smith_RrgapPeyGekhu4dMbrCCZJ#ixzz2S4y7vU5o

1. He fired a douchebag agent who then turned around and called his buddies in the media to rip Smith and save face. Reporters loveeeeeee agents and vice versa.

2. Smith is an easy target because he got drafted by the Jets. If he got drafted by the Eagles, all you're hearing about is what a great value he was.

1. He fired a douchebag agent who then turned around and called his buddies in the media to rip Smith and save face. Reporters loveeeeeee agents and vice versa.

2. Smith is an easy target because he got drafted by the Jets. If he got drafted by the Eagles, all you're hearing about is what a great value he was.

Bingo !!!!!

The media has one thing on their mind and that is to keep pushing the Jets as some kind of circus.

It won't be this year, probably not next year either, but there is one day going to be whole lotta STFU juice dished out by the franchise.

LOL

These stories line up with some of what you heard about him before the draft. In that Gruden clip, he comes across and bright enough and respectful, at least. Hopefully he grows up in a hurry (if he has to), and puts these stories on his shoulder along with that chip he's supposedly carrying.

But it's these types of character questions that lead to really needing to get Smith out on the field this season. Throw him right into some adversity, and see how he deals with it.

These stories line up with some of what you heard about him before the draft. In that Gruden clip, he comes across and bright enough and respectful, at least. Hopefully he grows up in a hurry (if he has to), and puts these stories on his shoulder along with that chip he's supposedly carrying.

But it's these types of character questions that lead to really needing to get Smith out on the field this season. Throw him right into some adversity, and see how he deals with it.

actually i think itd humble him to have to sit and learn. Maybe garrard woops his ass in training camp drills and he finally realizes he needs to learn

The dude's been in the NFL for 5 days and the media is already killing him. Let the kid play a damn down and see how he deals with things then you can criticize him all you want. The New York media and the media in general have a problem speculating and trying to guess what kind of person a player is. It's so dumb and causes unneeded drama.

Dude it's absolutely crazy right now with anything jets related. I try to look at things objectively. I really do. This team is literally the punching bag of the entire sports community. We are now at absurd levels of extreme piling on at all costs. It's like, an inside joke for all media or something.

Lol, seriously man. It's like a swarm of bees that just likes to follow their every move with constant attacks.

All I heard about Smith pre-draft was how great he was. Now he's on the Jets, and the "anonymous sources" are killing him. Any other team and they'd be giving him a verbal blow job.

I don't consider myself an optimist or much of an apologist - I try to be fair - but like, really? Does the guy even have a jersey yet?

Not for nothing, but Geno didn't do himself any favors with his draft day sulking and plans to hightail it out of town that night.  Not so impressive in his initial post-draft interviews, either.  On the other hand, EJ Manual could not have come across better in his interviews -- seems like a really nice, smart and well spoken young man but I guess it is a whole lot easier to project your best when you are picked in the 1st round.  

In any event, Geno is a Jet now, so I am 100% pulling for him until there are real world reasons not to.  I think the apologist positions and conspiracy theories are ludicrous.  I don't see how these observations are fabricated, since they cropped up before he was even picked by the Jets.  The usual self-loathing has turned to a mix of paranoia and self-pity.

All I heard about Smith pre-draft was how great he was. Now he's on the Jets, and the "anonymous sources" are killing him. Any other team and they'd be giving him a verbal blow job.

I don't consider myself an optimist or much of an apologist - I try to be fair - but like, really? Does the guy even have a jersey yet?

There were a lot of these concerns before the draft.   There were a lot of concerns on and off the filed with all of these QBs.    Smith isn't a bad guy who might cause trouble, he's just one of those guys who teams didn't know if he wanted to put in the work.     You have guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and so on.   Guys who seem to spend more time watching film and practicing than anybody else.    And you see the results.   Teams want those kinds of guys. Especially from a QB who is supposed to be a leader.   Nobody wants a guy who might not put in the time.

Hell years ago I think Gruden and Spurrier got at it because Spurrier was the 9-5 guy, most HC were more like never leave the office.   Not exactly healthy but I imagine a lot of teams would rather have those players, than some guy who gets rich, decides to get fat, and never work at it.    A lot of these guys are just good and play on teams that are good and against teams that aren't that good.   They get to the NFL and everybody is good.   And the great ones seem to spend a lot of time working hard at staying great.    Guys like Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russel and so on seem to take the money and run.  Hell Vick was one of the most talented athletes I ever saw, but it didn't seem like he wanted to get any better.   His speed and strength is all he needed.  

The Allen Iverson principle of sports isn't a new thing.  Favre seemed to pull his retirement stunt every year to miss practicing.   He was great, but in all honestly, the guy lived off of his first few great seasons more than actually being the best.  He'd have more bad turnovers or 5 INT games due to stupidity compared to anything else.    As great as he was, nobody really wants a rebel.   Especially not a rookie rebel.

We don't know what Smith will be or won't be, all we know is there have been stories before all this mess, that some people questioned his work ethic and so on.   Now that he's being treated like a #1 pick for the Jets,   even more crap will come out.    It's really up to him whether any of it will be valid concerns.

If he works hard and succeeds great, if he gets an attitude and pulls a Vince Young or Ryan Leaf, he'll be out of the nFL sooner than later.

Not for nothing, but Geno didn't do himself any favors with his draft day sulking and plans to hightail it out of town that night. Not so impressive in his initial post-draft interviews, either. On the other hand, EJ Manual could not have come across better in his interviews -- seems like a really nice, smart and well spoken young man but I guess it is a whole lot easier to project your best when you are picked in the 1st round.

In any event, Geno is a Jet now, so I am 100% pulling for him until there are real world reasons not to. I think the apologist positions and conspiracy theories are ludicrous. I don't see how these observations are fabricated, since they cropped up before he was even picked by the Jets. The usual self-loathing has turned to a mix of paranoia and self-pity.

I don't know. I seriously think the bias is real. But that said, nobody ever walked on the freakin moon.

Not for nothing, but Geno didn't do himself any favors with his draft day sulking and plans to hightail it out of town that night.  Not so impressive in his initial post-draft interviews, either.  On the other hand, EJ Manual could not have come across better in his interviews -- seems like a really nice, smart and well spoken young man but I guess it is a whole lot easier to project your best when you are picked in the 1st round.  

In any event, Geno is a Jet now, so I am 100% pulling for him until there are real world reasons not to.  I think the apologist positions and conspiracy theories are ludicrous.  I don't see how these observations are fabricated, since they cropped up before he was even picked by the Jets.  The usual self-loathing has turned to a mix of paranoia and self-pity.

There was a player who was literally arrested the night before the draft and a second round QB, going to one of the most QB-needy teams in the league is what's drawing the most criticism??

The kid was embarrassed on national television for millions to see and people are crucifying him for hanging his head a bit?? So his body-language didn't exude positivity, if the kid starts winning they'll just turn it to "he hates losing."

actually i think itd humble him to have to sit and learn. Maybe garrard woops his ass in training camp drills and he finally realizes he needs to learn

Right. Garrard, who is fighting for his NFL life, is going to take the time to try and straighten out a guy who he is competing against for a QB slot.

There was a player who was literally arrested the night before the draft and a second round QB, going to one of the most QB-needy teams in the league is what's drawing the most criticism??

The kid was embarrassed on national television for millions to see and people are crucifying him for hanging his head a bit?? So his body-language didn't exude positivity, if the kid starts winning they'll just turn it to "he hates losing."

See what I mean about the "apologists" and "conspiracy theories".  Typical kneejerk response and all too predictable.  FWIW, I didn't slam the kid or refer to anything that isn't there.

Right. Garrard, who is fighting for his NFL life, is going to take the time to try and straighten out a guy who he is competing against for a QB slot.

actually yea. If he wants to continue being in the nfl he better be a good mentor.

no one is taking him to start for the future hes a vet and from what i read is a pretty good guy

actually yea. If he wants to continue being in the nfl he better be a good mentor.

no one is taking him to start for the future hes a vet and from what i read is a pretty good guy

Did the Dolphins keep him around after he got hurt to mentor Tannehill? Brunell mentored Sanchez. Mentoring is so overrated. This isn't the boys and girls club.

Did the Dolphins keep him around after he got hurt to mentor Tannehill? Brunell mentored Sanchez. Mentoring is so overrated. This isn't the boys and girls club.

They got rid of garrard cause he was suppoused starter and expensive. if healthy he is gonna play. No one is saying he cant play when healthy.

youve obviouslly never played a sport if you think mentoring is overrated. Its not as if skill is something you can mentor but if geno is really what these articles say he is a veteran presence can teach him how to be a proffesional.

They got rid of garrard cause he was suppoused starter and expensive. if healthy he is gonna play. No one is saying he cant play when healthy.

youve obviouslly never played a sport if you think mentoring is overrated. Its not as if skill is something you can mentor but if geno is really what these articles say he is a veteran presence can teach him how to be a proffesional.

If they need to teach this kid how to be professional I'm pretty sure there is a huge coaching staff and others that can do it.

Also, your response is so LOL

See what I mean about the "apologists" and "conspiracy theories".  Typical kneejerk response and all too predictable.  FWIW, I didn't slam the kid or refer to anything that isn't there.

I was referencing the validity of the overreaction of the media, not the responses that our fans have given.   Never said you slammed the kid nor did I insinuate that you had, what I was trying to get across is that while you label anyone who defends the kid some pejorative term, you aren't acknowledging just how biased the media is actually being.   Honestly, there was a kid who was arrested the night before the draft and everyone is focusing on Geno's body language after being embarrassed not only in front of everyone he knows, but millions of others.

Exactly!

the feeling is mutual

it was so sad seeing him try to look excited that he was taken by this franchise.  the jets are the herpes of draft prospects hopes, the last place they want to play.  it was obvious.  milliner and whats his face had the same look

"dang"

FML

The Deadspin.com stuff about this sounds extremely plausible and explains why he is probably moving on. When faced with one side that is leaking negative crap to the media and the other party who is taking the hgh road, I tend to believe the one taking the high road.

Most of the experts said he would go in the 1st, his agent said he would go in the 1st, most of the experts said he was the #1 QB of the class.

How could he possibly be disappointed that he wasn't taken in the 1st? #circus

His contract is probably less than half of what it could be.

How could he possibly be disappointed about that? #circus

Report paints new Jets QB Smith as cocky, disinterested

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 5:02 PM, May 1, 2013

AP

Geno Smith after getting picked by Jets.

New Jets quarterback Geno Smith is already taking hits, and he has not even put on a pair of shoulder pads for the team yet.

Yahoo Sports posted a damning report about Smith, the Jets’ second-round draft selection, Wednesday, a day after it surfaced he had fired his agents.

Two anonymous sources told the website that Smith was more interested in his cellphone than interacting with their coaches and front-office executives during his visits. The report states he would be reading Twitter or texting friends rather than talking to coaches.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources told Yahoo. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Smith has declined to say why he fired agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports. He told SiriusXM that it was not because of how the draft went last week when Smith slipped out of the first round and the nation watched him sit in the green room all night.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," the report quotes an anonymous league executive as saying. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

Select Sports issued a statement defending its treatment of Smith.

"We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," the statement reads. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

"Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

The website quotes a source saying Smith is looking for someone to blame for his slip in the draft and that could have led to the firing of his agents.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.

Read more: Report paints new Jets QB Smith as cocky, disinterested http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/report_paints_new_jets_qb_smith_RrgapPeyGekhu4dMbrCCZJ#ixzz2S4y7vU5o

Let he who has ignored someone to look at his iphone cast the first stone.

Watched the "Elway to Montana" 30 for 30 on ESPN. And even now everyone on was uttlerly full of sheet about why Marino dropped. Marino dropped because it was widely known he liked Peruvian marching powder a little more than most. It was the 1980s. But in 2013 this-iphone attentiveness?= is what consitutes "issues".

the feeling is mutual

it was so sad seeing him try to look excited that he was taken by this franchise.  the jets are the herpes of draft prospects hopes, the last place they want to play.  it was obvious.  milliner and whats his face had the same look

"dang"

FML

funny you mention that, I remember thinking like the same thing when I saw Milliners and Richardsons face when they stood with their jersey...it kinda looked like a face you give when you get a shtty gift at xmas but you still have to be polite and smile 

26jets2-img-superJumbo.jpg

Archived