Criticism of Geno Smith Mounts After Draft

flgreen

funny you mention that, I remember thinking like the same thing when I saw Milliners and Richardsons face when they stood with their jersey...it kinda looked like a face you give when you get a shtty gift at xmas but you still have to be polite and smile 

26jets2-img-superJumbo.jpg

Probably less to do with the jersey they were holding than realizing first-hand the fanbase of your new team is comprised of a bunch of drunken assholes.  All teams are, but having to deal with it the second you're drafted is probably a slap to the face.

Probably less to do with the jersey they were holding than realizing first-hand the fanbase of your new team is comprised of a bunch of drunken assholes.  All teams are, but having to deal with it the second you're drafted is probably a slap to the face.

lol

Let he who has ignored someone to look at his iphone cast the first stone.

Watched the "Elway to Montana" 30 for 30 on ESPN. And even now everyone on was uttlerly full of sheet about why Marino dropped. Marino dropped because it was widely known he liked Peruvian marching powder a little more than most. It was the 1980s. But in 2013 this-iphone attentiveness?= is what consitutes "issues".

It isnt the iphone its more so coachability....these kids all have ADD.

Some of these organizations once they deem you uncoachable...youre crossed off. An uncoachable QB? Even worse.

Let he who has ignored someone to look at his iphone cast the first stone.

Watched the "Elway to Montana" 30 for 30 on ESPN. And even now everyone on was uttlerly full of sheet about why Marino dropped. Marino dropped because it was widely known he liked Peruvian marching powder a little more than most. It was the 1980s. But in 2013 this-iphone attentiveness?= is what consitutes "issues".

Haha is this true? Because if so it's kinda ironic (or fitting) Miami ended up taking him.

These stories line up with some of what you heard about him before the draft. In that Gruden clip, he comes across and bright enough and respectful, at least. Hopefully he grows up in a hurry (if he has to), and puts these stories on his shoulder along with that chip he's supposedly carrying.

But it's these types of character questions that lead to really needing to get Smith out on the field this season. Throw him right into some adversity, and see how he deals with it.

It may not be their true plan, but Garrard's history of injury will probably lead to it.

Welcome to New York, Geno.  Not even here for a week and already being destroyed.

That's the real hurdle. I hope someone in the org is prepping him on how to deal with this crap. He needs to ignore all of this stuff or he;s done before he hits the field.

I was referencing the validity of the overreaction of the media, not the responses that our fans have given.   Never said you slammed the kid nor did I insinuate that you had, what I was trying to get across is that while you label anyone who defends the kid some pejorative term, you aren't acknowledging just how biased the media is actually being.   Honestly, there was a kid who was arrested the night before the draft and everyone is focusing on Geno's body language after being embarrassed not only in front of everyone he knows, but millions of others.

we are witnessing the end of journalism in this country ---on  all levels.  It is no longer necessary to have proof to print stories-you have anonymous sources.  You are no longer required to be objective in the coverage, either.  Personal dislike is encouraged by a lot of these outlets.  It is the same in politics.  agenda come first.  Truth last or not at all.

funny you mention that, I remember thinking like the same thing when I saw Milliners and Richardsons face when they stood with their jersey...it kinda looked like a face you give when you get a shtty gift at xmas but you still have to be polite and smile 

26jets2-img-superJumbo.jpg

"Gee Grandma thanks for sh*tting on a card and calling it a gift"

Right. Garrard, who is fighting for his NFL life, is going to take the time to try and straighten out a guy who he is competing against for a QB slot.

I think he definitely will. He understands his role here is not to be a long term solution, but to be a veteran presence and a potential stop-gap. If he's working with Geno, and Geno in turn is responding, Garrard could effectively be prolonging his own NFL career by helping the kid out.

Mentoring of this kind is very important in the NFL. Sure, you expect most of that to come from the coaches, but the coaches are also the bosses. Having a fellow player work with you feels more like a friend, and can have a more profound effect.

That's the real hurdle. I hope someone in the org is prepping him on how to deal with this crap. He needs to ignore all of this stuff or he;s done before he hits the field.

Kinda like a pre-reader to read his press before he does and steer him away from senseless smear articles.  Kinda like the guy that tasted a little of the king's food to make sure it wasn't poisoned.  A job Crusher would lose the first day. 

Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday that Smith sat by himself, playing with his cell phone, instead of speaking with team executives and coaches while visiting with teams before the NFL draft.

nfl-draft-farrell.jpg  

Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith toys with his cell phone, while other players interact with team coaches and executives, during pre-draft meetings, Yahoo! reports on Wednesday.

Geno Smith hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet, and already questions about his character and ability to lead a professional team have cropped up.

On Wednesday, Yahoo! reported that Smith — while visiting prospective teams on pre-draft meetings — sat by himself playing with his cell phone, sending text messages and scrolling through Twitter instead of chatting with team execs and coaches.

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said to Yahoo! “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

RELATED: GENO FIRES AGENTS, FELT HE SHOULD'VE GONE NO. 1

That report was released a day after Smith fired his agents from Select Sports Group. The Daily News reported Tuesday that Smith felt that he would have and should have been selected with the first pick of the draft. Instead, Smith fell all the way to the Jets in the second round as the 39th overall selection, quickly firing his agents after he was forced to wait through the first round at Radio City Music Hall last Thursday without hearing his name called.

Smith considered leaving New York, but eventually changed his mind and decided to stay for the second round.

Smith, who will compete with embattled starter Mark Sanchez in training camp, was under attack even before he became a Jet, as Pro Football Weekly gave his personality a powerfully negative review. “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire,” that report read. “Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic.”

RELATED: MCELROY DISAPPOINTED BY TEBOW CUT, BUT READY TO COMPETE

Smith has been professional, if not boring, in his limited exposure to the New York media thus far. But the report Wednesday perhaps shed some light on why the quarterback, who was considered a solid bet for one of the top 10 picks in this year’s draft, fell all the way to the second round.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” a league said executive in the report. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches . . . He’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good.

But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

-- Area scouts Mike Davis and Joe Bommarito will not have their contracts renewed, according to a source. Davis was responsible for the Mid-East region, which included Geno Smith and West Virginia University. Bommarito was the area scout for the West. Their contracts are scheduled to end at the end of May.

Typically, changes in the scouting department, even after the hiring of a new GM, are made following the draft, so it makes sense that Davis and Bommarito would be let go at this point. It’s also not surprising that changes would be made, given the hiring of Idzik and that the Jets have lackluster results to show from their recent drafts. 

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-behavior-raises-eyebrows-article-1.1332544#ixzz2S8kUpklb

Hahaha... that "report" sounds like it was authored by the agents he fired. What hot pile of garbage all this is. If someone is going to offer up that sort of criticism, legitimize it by putting your name to it, or STFU.

For all we know Geno check his phone once the whole time, this doosh saw him, and never looked at him again... and that's the impression he got. Nobody knows the context for this observation, but it comes across as smear. 

I don't care. 

All Geno has to do is be a better part of this team than Kellen Clemens was, and he'll be well worth that 2nd rounder.

I think he definitely will. He understands his role here is not to be a long term solution, but to be a veteran presence and a potential stop-gap. If he's working with Geno, and Geno in turn is responding, Garrard could effectively be prolonging his own NFL career by helping the kid out.

Mentoring of this kind is very important in the NFL. Sure, you expect most of that to come from the coaches, but the coaches are also the bosses. Having a fellow player work with you feels more like a friend, and can have a more profound effect.

Garrard wanted NO part of helping Tannehill, and fully expected to start for the Dolphins. He practically clawed Leftwich's eyes out to get the Jacksonville job.

Smith has been professional, if not boring, in his limited exposure to the New York media thus far. But the report Wednesday perhaps shed
some light on why the quarterback, who was considered a solid bet forone of the top 10 picks in this year’s draft, fell all the way to the second round.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” a league said executive in the report. “I’m not sure he knows how to take
instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches . . . He’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good.

But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

Has Geno Smith actually received any pro coaching yet?   If so, where?

There was a player who was literally arrested the night before the draft and a second round QB, going to one of the most QB-needy teams in the league is what's drawing the most criticism??

The kid was embarrassed on national television for millions to see and people are crucifying him for hanging his head a bit?? So his body-language didn't exude positivity, if the kid starts winning they'll just turn it to "he hates losing."

Yeah I heard Sanchez took his head out of Brandon Moore's butt long enough to laugh at a Jets QB being embarrassed on national tv.

The slander story said that an NFL executive said that he wouldn't listen to "their" coaches.

I just want to know who these NFL coaches are who had trouble coaching him.  He hasn't received any NFL coaching yet, has he?

Archived