Rex: Jets will see the best Mark Sanchez 'they've ever seen'

Jetsfan80

Can someone explain to me how competition will actually make Sanchez better after the ball is snapped? The only way Rex could justify that opinion is if Sanchez was relatively lazy and didn't try hard enough before this competition arrived.

Competition isn't going to make him suddenly know what to do in the pocket in a live game when his top target isn't open.  Getting pushed due to competition I can see if it's a strength or endurance thing, where a player reaches deep down for extra umph like throwing up that last rep in the gym or going all-out on the field instead of dogging it or just going through the motions.  But QB isn't a position where one gets better by exerting oneself more.

What a stupid thing to think otherwise.  If Sanchez does noticeably improve it means experience is starting to kick in, since physically he can make every throw even if he typically has not done it.  But a 5th year QB getting better because of competition? Worse still, since it's coming from Rex, this insinuates all sorts of past poor character traits from Sanchez's most public supporter.

What QB who was previously Sanchez-level bad for 4 full seasons as a starter, then suddenly improved into being a good QB because of competition that had never been there before?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain to me how competition will actually make Sanchez better after the ball is snapped? The only way Rex could justify that opinion is if Sanchez was relatively lazy and didn't try hard enough before this competition arrived.

Competition isn't going to make him suddenly know what to do in the pocket in a live game when his top target isn't open.  Getting pushed due to competition I can see if it's a strength or endurance thing, where a player reaches deep down for extra umph like throwing up that last rep in the gym or going all-out on the field instead of dogging it or just going through the motions.  But QB isn't a position where one gets better by exerting oneself more.

What a stupid thing to think otherwise.  If Sanchez does noticeably improve it means experience is starting to kick in, since physically he can make every throw even if he typically has not done it.  But a 5th year QB getting better because of competition? Worse still, since it's coming from Rex, this insinuates all sorts of past poor character traits from Sanchez's most public supporter.

What QB who was previously Sanchez-level bad for 4 full seasons as a starter, then suddenly improved into being a good QB because of competition that had never been there before?

Would it had been better had Rex said our WR's were a MASH unit last year and Tony Sparano sucked as an OC?  I'm sure that's what he truly believes.

Jason Hill, Mardy Gilyard, Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, and Hayden Smith were major weapons in last years arsenal.  Let that sink in for a minute.

I don't want to hear that crap about RG3's lack of weapons...  At least he had a full camp and preseason with the same guys.  Mark and co. had a revolving door of sh*tty options.  It was a disaster.

Of course it was Pac.  But even if we get the absolute best possible Mark Sanchez, what would that look like?  He's been a bottom 5 QB statistically.  I don't see how even the "best Mark Sanchez" could even beat out David Garrard, a 9-year veteran who's been to a Pro Bowl.

Jason Hill, Mardy Gilyard, Clyde Gates, Konrad Reuland, and Hayden Smith were major weapons in last years arsenal.  Let that sink in for a minute.

I don't want to hear that crap about RG3's lack of weapons...  At least he had a full camp and preseason with the same guys.  Mark and co. had a revolving door of sh*tty options.  It was a disaster.

Of course it was Pac.  But even if we get the absolute best possible Mark Sanchez, what would that look like?  He's been a bottom 5 QB statistically.  I don't see how even the "best Mark Sanchez" could even beat out David Garrard, a 9-year veteran who's been to a Pro Bowl.

He can if the franchise wants a top 3 pick in next years draft.  

Would it had been better had Rex said our WR's were a MASH unit last year and Tony Sparano sucked as an OC?  I'm sure that's what he truly believes.

Certainly Sanchez - should he win the starting job and remain on the roster - should look better than he did in 2012 for the reasons you mentioned.  But that isn't what Rex boasted.  He boasted this will be the best that Sanchez has ever been.  

Also it should be of note that even if this prediction comes true, it still wouldn't make Sanchez a good QB.

The best Mark Sanchez would look like a guy who can go into Indy and NE on consecutive weeks and beat Manning and Brady.  That's quite a bit more than Garrard has accomplished.

That being said that Mark may never come back...  in which case I'd be fine with Garrard winning the competition and mentoring Geno.  Don't really see the point of keeping Mark on the roster if he can't beat Garrard.  If the unthinkable happens and Garrard and Geno get hurt, you turn it over to McElroy and watch it burn to the ground.

Certainly Sanchez - should he win the starting job and remain on the roster - should look better than he did in 2012 for the reasons you mentioned.  But that isn't what Rex boasted.  He boasted this will be the best that Sanchez has ever been.  

Also it should be of note that even if this prediction comes true, it still wouldn't make Sanchez a good QB.

Playoff Mark is quite good.  Regular season Mark was a train wreck last year due to lack of organizational stability, poor decision making, and an O-line coach trying to play OC.

The best Mark Sanchez would look like a guy who can go into Indy and NE on consecutive weeks and beat Manning and Brady.  That's quite a bit more than Garrard has accomplished.

So riding the coat tails of a top 3 defense is more impressive than making a pro bowl in your disgusting little world?  Uhhh ok.

Playoff Mark is quite good.  Regular season Mark was a train wreck last year due to lack of organizational stability, poor decision making, and an O-line coach trying to play OC.

Look at you go... you seem to enjoy fapping into your own face.

So riding the coat tails of a top 3 defense is more impressive than making a pro bowl in your disgusting little world?  Uhhh ok.

Go pull the playoff stats you bulbous buffoon.  Better yet try and remember some of the throws for yourself.  I know that's probably hard for you given you have the memory of a goldfish.

Go pull the playoff stats you bulbous buffoon.  Better yet try and remember some of the throws for yourself.  I know that's probably hard for you given you have the memory of a goldfish.

Garrard wins one or two champioships behind those two teams.  Only thing I remember is when Greene went down against the Colts Sanchez was NOT good enough to compete.  

Ahh..  the classic case of resorting to personal attacks when you can't counter my salient points.

You really just wrote that? ^^^^

Trolled.

I haven't even read your posts or most of the thread. LOL

Cries about personal attacks, then comes up with faggoty insults like these. ^^^^

ahahahahahah

Garrard wins one or two champioships behind those two teams.  Only thing I remember is when Greene went down against the Colts Sanchez was NOT good enough to compete.  

Selective memory.  The ilk has another member. 

That being said that Mark may never come back...  in which case I'd be fine with Garrard winning the competition and mentoring Geno.  Don't really see the point of keeping Mark on the roster if he can't beat Garrard.  If the unthinkable happens and Garrard and Geno get hurt, you turn it over to McElroy and watch it burn to the ground.

Sanchez against Indy, 2011 playoffs:  18/31 (58 %), 189 yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT.  We didn't win that game because of Sanchez. 

Granted, he played well in New England (3 TD's, 0 INT's, though he had under 200 yards), but acting like Sanchez "beat" Manning and Brady at his best is disingenuous. 

Sanchez didn't earn a thing that his defense and running game didn't allow him to.  Some of his best throws of his career came off play-action passes when teams were selling out to stop our run game. 

David Garrard never had the kind of talent around him that Sanchez did, yet he still went to a Pro Bowl.  Meaning at least for one season, Garrard was considered one of the top 3 QB's in the AFC.  That's more impressive to me than a QB who tagged along for 2 AFC Title game appearances, and was probably (no, definitely) the biggest reason we didn't advance to the Super Bowl either season.  He's a bottom 5 QB and always has been. 

Give me Garrard any day.  At least he doesn't mope when he sucks.

Playoff Mark is merely fine.  Statistically he was better than he actually was.  Pittsburgh in particular.  Before he put up those respectable numbers, he'd already blown the game.  Like JR Smith hitting 3 3-pointers at the end of a game that was already in the bag for Boston last night.  Would have been nice if he hadn't gone 0/11 before that.  Maybe Mark's 2nd half numbers would have been meaningful if we didn't go 3 & out for most of the first half, followed by fumbling (shock, shock) to give Pittsburgh a free TD on defense.

In his rookie season he was an absolute train wreck vs SD in the playoffs.  But our defense caused 5 turnovers and we still only scored 17, winning by 3.  Mark "led" us to victory? Yeah, right.

Against Indy in his first year he threw that one beautiful bomb to Edwards and that was about it.  The other TD was because of Brad Smith's arm, not Mark's, and the FG was after we took over in FG range and Sanchez didn't even attempt a pass.  

The other Indy game we won? Since when is 18-31-189-0-1 "quite good"? We won because we had over 160 rushing yards and because Caldwell decided to give us a free timeout.

He had excellent games vs Cincy and New England.  Even though he wasn't asked to do as much vs Cincy, all we needed was an efficient game manager and he was perfect in that role for 1 day.  All 3 TDs vs NE were guys running it in after the catch (particularly Braylon who comically carried two Patriots with him into the EZ), but he had a good game (even if the stat sheet made him look better than he actually was).  But we did move the ball and he didn't turn the ball over, so I absolutely will give him due credit for a good game.  Just that the stat line reads like someone who was on fire.

Enough of this still-growing myth that Mark Sanchez is some dangerous weapon once the playoffs come around.

Selective memory.  The ilk has another member. 

He's right, Pac.  You can't argue that Sanchez "won us" those 4 playoff games without also agreeing that he "lost us" those 2 AFC Title games. 

The rest of us are arguing that Sanchez sucks and always has sucked.  So I think you're the one being selective here.

Archived