will the Jets keep 4 QB's going into week 1 or will Garrard or Mcelboy be dropped?

Blackout

Bottom line, The CHEZ must go. We can't allow the location of a game define who will be the QB. At the end of the year, the Jets were deciding who was going to be QB by who will NOT be booed by the home fans. If you think Jets fans will forget the horrible QB play from last year, then I have a bridge to sell you. The Chez is done in NYC. The best options for the team are to have Geno Garrard and McElroy be the top 3 qbs. Cut Chez and let him see if he can be a back up somewhere else. His time in NYC is done.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going to be hard for Sanchez to start for the Jets if he is not on the roster. He will be off the Jets June 1, Bank.

Not a chance. Too much $$$ and Garrard will inevitably get hurt. You can't go into a season with Garrard Smith and McElroy. That's a recipe for disaster. Garrard gets hurt, McElroy sucks and you're forced to play the rookie way before you ever wanted to. It makes zero sense to cut Sanchez before training camp and it won't happen after either.

And until we see what we have in Smith and Garrard, Sanchez is still the best chance to win games.

The only QB whose job is completely safe in 2013 is Geno Smith.

I think the safe guess is Smith, Sanchez, and Garrard as the QBs on opening day, but a lot can happen between now and then. If Garrard is horrible, or gets hurt, he's gone. If Garrard and Smith are both playing well enough to merit starting, the team could look to cut ties with Sanchez. So McElroy's left to hope that Garrard is either great or terrible/injured, because otherwise he's pretty much out of a job.

If the fans are as brutal to Sanchez in the preseason as I believe they're capable of being, I really think he could be gone. It would be such a relief for the fan base.

I'll be amazed if Garrard sucks or is anything less than very good - unless he's injured. Like our 2 new running backs, this is another guy who has a ton of potential but hasn't been able to sustain a starting spot in the league for a host of reasons. Very much unlike our 2 new running backs, DG knows this is his last tango for a starting role and maybe even last chance whatsoever before opening up an Allstate bureau. I really hope he looks good so we can cut ties with Sanchez. I've seen all I need to see of him and I'm sure our fan base will be the material for award winning YouTube documentation of any appearance of his at MetLife.

Not a chance. Too much $$$ and Garrard will inevitably get hurt. You can't go into a season with Garrard Smith and McElroy. That's a recipe for disaster. Garrard gets hurt, McElroy sucks and you're forced to play the rookie way before you ever wanted to. It makes zero sense to cut Sanchez before training camp and it won't happen after either.

And until we see what we have in Smith and Garrard, Sanchez is still the best chance to win games.

And going into a season with Sanchez as the starter isn't (a recipe for disaster)?  

Sanchez is the best chance to win games?  In what pinochle?  monopoly?  It certainly isn't football, at least not in this dimension.

And going into a season with Sanchez as the starter isn't (a recipe for disaster)?  

Sanchez is the best chance to win games?  In what pinochle?  monopoly?  It certainly isn't football, at least not in this dimension.

Worked out fine year 1 and 2, not so much year 3 and 4.

And yes, Sanchez is the best chance to win games because you have no idea what Garrard has left and you have an unknown quantity in Smith, who needs a season of seasoning to get acclimated.  There is no need to sink or swim with a rookie.

Worked out fine year 1 and 2, not so much year 3 and 4.

And yes, Sanchez is the best chance to win games because you have no idea what Garrard has left and you have an unknown quantity in Smith, who needs a season of seasoning to get acclimated.  There is no need to sink or swim with a rookie.

I'm with you on not starting Smith unless he just plays lights out like Wilson.  

Even with better coaching, I think there's every possibility that Sanchez will be even worse this season.  I think his confidence has got to be shot, but even if it's not, I can't picture him being successful in a WCO where short range accuracy and leading receivers is paramount.

I know the prevailing idea is to keep Sanchez around and have an open competition at QB.  And I know that Garrard's health is supposed to be a factor on that.

I simply don't care.  I want Sanchez off the roster entirely.  Who cares if Garrard gets hurt?  That'll just accelerate Geno's ascension to the starting QB spot.  Or we can start McElroy/Simms.  Does it really make a difference WHICH QB ends up getting the starting nod if its NOT Geno?  We're probably going to suck offensively regardless.  I'd merely prefer to do so without having to watch Sanchez on the field or the sideline.

I'm with you on not starting Smith unless he just plays lights out like Wilson.  

Even with better coaching, I think there's every possibility that Sanchez will be even worse this season.  I think his confidence has got to be shot, but even if it's not, I can't picture him being successful in a WCO where short range accuracy and leading receivers is paramount.

There's no system out there that can make Sanchez look good, none.  Normally you mold the system to fit the QB's strengths.  Sanchez has no strengths.  He can't do anything a QB needs to do.  He's worthless.

I know this is common knowledge but there's still people out there who think this guy can be serviceable.  He's not capable of doing so, even if one of the Harbaughs coached him.

There's no system out there that can make Sanchez look good, none.  Normally you mold the system to fit the QB's strengths.  Sanchez has no strengths.  He can't do anything a QB needs to do.  He's worthless.

I know this is common knowledge but there's still people out there who think this guy can be serviceable.  He's not capable of doing so, even if one of the Harbaughs coached him.

Yeah, I definitely don't get this concept of a WCO being some sort of possible saving grace for Sanchez.  If there is one thing that is absolutely paramount when it comes to QBing a WCO, it's ball placement.  Meanwhile, of all the things Sanchez is horrendously awful at, ball placement may very well be his absolute worst.  Even on the occasions when he makes the correct reads and throws quality completions, he notoriously does a horrid job at properly leading his receivers.  This is of course bad for any QB in any system, but it sure isn't going to get any better in an offense that's predicated on the concepts of high completion percentages and allowing your receivers to make plays after the catch.

Even if it is a recipe for disaster, he may be the most "ready" to start over Garrad and Geno.  And at this point with Sanchez it will probably play out as a sink or swim kinda thing.  He is either gonna go out there and do well and start to win back the trust of fans and his team..or he is gonna go out there and stink it up again and get benched for the next best guy...probably at that point, Geno.  

Even if it is a recipe for disaster, he may be the most "ready" to start over Garrad and Geno.  And at this point with Sanchez it will probably play out as a sink or swim kinda thing.  He is either gonna go out there and do well and start to win back the trust of fans and his team..or he is gonna go out there and stink it up again and get benched for the next best guy...probably at that point, Geno.  

Nope, he won't, and everyone knows it.

You won't get any argument from me on this.  I was NEVER a fan of Sanchez.  I thought drafting him was a mistake, much less trading up to get him.  Of course, once he was drafted, I hoped for the best, but knew with the morons they had coaching and teaching him, his chances of success were nil.  He needs to go.

I don't blame Mark really.  He can't help it that he doesn't have the talent or right kind of "smarts" to be a successful NFL QB.  He can't help it that the Jets trade up to get him or that he was saddled with such awful coaching in Cavanaugh, Schitthebedenheimer, Sparano and Rex.  I feel sorry for him, but he needs to go.

I understand how he could be more "ready" to start than Geno, since Geno is a rookie, has to learn the nuances of playing in an NFL type system, playing under center, adjusting to the speed of the game, the complexities of pro defenses, etc., but just how would he be more ready than Garrard, because Garrard didn't play last year?  Garrard's health?  Sorry, but I don't get that one.  Sanchez is awful, and totally a bad fit for the WCO, perhaps moreso than any other offensive system.

If he's still on the roster, it's because of his contract, or a miracle of Biblical proportions has occurred and he suddenly has developed real talent and football intelligence.  

I understand how he could be more "ready" to start than Geno, since Geno is a rookie, has to learn the nuances of playing in an NFL type system, playing under center, adjusting to the speed of the game, the complexities of pro defenses, etc., but just how would he be more ready than Garrard, because Garrard didn't play last year?  Garrard's health?  Sorry, but I don't get that one.  Sanchez is awful, and totally a bad fit for the WCO, perhaps moreso than any other offensive system.

If he's still on the roster, it's because of his contract, or a miracle of Biblical proportions has occurred and he suddenly has developed real talent and football intelligence.  

Yes, because he didn't play last year and because he didn't play with the Jets last year so he wont be as familiar with Mangolds sac as Sanchez is.  If Garrad has a bad opening game week 1, he will be boo'd out the stadium by week 2 as being an old washed up QB who has no place on this roster as a starting QB.  If Garrad comes in to replace Sanchez, then anything we get out of Garrad will be sufficient until Geno goes in. So there is a big big difference in starting Garrad week 1 rather than Sanchez. And if we had to bench Garrad....and then we bring in Sanchez over Geno there will be riots in the stadium I guarantee you. So clearly the best option is to let Sanchez go out there week 1...let him fry himself the first few weeks then let Garrad come in till Geno is ready to take over. 

Yes, because he didn't play last year and because he didn't play with the Jets last year so he wont be as familiar with Mangolds sac as Sanchez is.  If Garrad has a bad opening game week 1, he will be boo'd out the stadium by week 2 as being an old washed up QB who has no place on this roster as a starting QB.  If Garrad comes in to replace Sanchez, then anything we get out of Garrad will be sufficient until Geno goes in. So there is a big big difference in starting Garrad week 1 rather than Sanchez. And if we had to bench Garrad....and then we bring in Sanchez over Geno there will be riots in the stadium I guarantee you. So clearly the best option is to let Sanchez go out there week 1...let him fry himself the first few weeks then let Garrad come in till Geno is ready to take over. 

I totally disagree.  Just because he didn't play during the season last year, doesn't mean that he has forgotten how to play football or how to take a snap from center.  That's totally absurd.  Nor will Garrard be booed out of the stadium if he has a bad game in game 1.  Again, that's totally ridiculous!  What's the alternative?  Sanchez?  Roflmao!!!  Smith?  McElroy?  Simms?  Please.  

You wanna talk about someone getting booed out of the Stadium?  If Sanchez goes out there as the starter in game 1, both he and Rex will get booed out of the stadium.  Sanchez should never see the playing field as a Jet again.  He shouldn't even be on the team coming out of TC.

If you're right and there are riots and/or Garrard starts and gets booed out of the Stadium, then that just shows how drunk or how stupid (or both) many Jets fans can be.  We ALL know how true that can be.  We've seen it at the Draft when they boo players selected, we've seen it at games, where they leave early, and posting on Jets boards with insane ideas of players, draft picks and moves they want the Jets to make.

I totally disagree.  Just because he didn't play during the season last year, doesn't mean that he has forgotten how to play football or how to take a snap from center.  That's totally absurd.  Nor will Garrard be booed out of the stadium if he has a bad game in game 1.  Again, that's totally ridiculous!  What's the alternative?  Sanchez?  Roflmao!!!  Smith?  McElroy?  Simms?  Please.  

You wanna talk about someone getting booed out of the Stadium?  If Sanchez goes out there as the starter in game 1, both he and Rex will get booed out of the stadium.  Sanchez should never see the playing field as a Jet again.  He shouldn't even be on the team coming out of TC.

If you're right and there are riots and/or Garrard starts and gets booed out of the Stadium, then that just shows how drunk or how stupid (or both) many Jets fans can be.  We ALL know how true that can be.  We've seen it at the Draft when they boo players selected, we've seen it at games, where they leave early, and posting on Jets boards with insane ideas of players, draft picks and moves they want the Jets to make.

I disagree.  If Garrad had hopes of being our future then i can see them putting him out there week 1, but he doesn't.  He is this years mark brunell and thats it.  He will sub in for sanchez when he blows it and from there he will just be filling the QB spot till Geno is ready... but Garrad aint starting in week 1.  Garrad is not our future and a bad game from a QB who is not our future will not be tolerated by fans/media/Jets. Sanchez, who is also not our future...we don't have much choice with bc so much has been invested in this loser they're gonna try n get their moneys worth before they completely sht can him

McElroy blows and Sims blows more so help me God if either of them are out there week 1.  

And you keep forgetting something buddy...the Jets have millions invested in Sanchez, MILLIONS!!!  They're not gonna let him ride the bench this year for Garrad just to release him at the end of the season. Maybe for Geno, but not Garrad.  They are gonna put him out there so they can make 100% sure they really blew there money on a QB before they just let him go.  

And say Sanchez does go out there and stinks it up week 1 and 2 and maybe 3.. then here comes Garrad till Geno is ready.. which is fine by me.  But there gonna give Sanchez at least the first 2 games whether YOU like it or not.  Possibly from there I can see Garrad taking control until they feel Geno is ready, maybe week 8-10...who knows...depends on how well they're doing with Garrad.

fyi--I don't drink and I'm far from stupid...when I boo the Jets...99.9% of the time they deserve it

I don't understand this "money's worth" argument.  They are paying these guys either way. The way to get their money's worth is to get the best performance.  The Jets have invested millions in Sanchez, but what do they get for playing him?  Not a discount.  The Seahawks paid Matt Flynn plenty, but they benched him for Wilson and the Jets should do the same.  For Smith or Garrard.  Whoever is playing better should play.  There may be something to letting Geno sit a bit, but the other two stiffs should fight it out and whoever sucks least wins!

I disagree.  If Garrad had hopes of being our future then i can see them putting him out there week 1, but he doesn't.  He is this years mark brunell and thats it.  He will sub in for sanchez when he blows it and from there he will just be filling the QB spot till Geno is ready... but Garrad aint starting in week 1.  Garrad is not our future and a bad game from a QB who is not our future will not be tolerated by fans/media/Jets. Sanchez, who is also not our future...we don't have much choice with bc so much has been invested in this loser they're gonna try n get their moneys worth before they completely sht can him

McElroy blows and Sims blows more so help me God if either of them are out there week 1.  

And you keep forgetting something buddy...the Jets have millions invested in Sanchez, MILLIONS!!!  They're not gonna let him ride the bench this year for Garrad just to release him at the end of the season. Maybe for Geno, but not Garrad.  They are gonna put him out there so they can make 100% sure they really blew there money on a QB before they just let him go.  

And say Sanchez does go out there and stinks it up week 1 and 2 and maybe 3.. then here comes Garrad till Geno is ready.. which is fine by me.  But there gonna give Sanchez at least the first 2 games whether YOU like it or not.  Possibly from there I can see Garrad taking control until they feel Geno is ready, maybe week 8-10...who knows...depends on how well they're doing with Garrad.

fyi--I don't drink and I'm far from stupid...when I boo the Jets...99.9% of the time they deserve it

Sanchez may very well begin the season as the starter, but if he does, it's because Woody either orders that to be the case, or because Rex has a Woody for Sanchez.  It sure won't be because Sanchez is the best QB or because Garrard has forgotten how to play.  If they go with who plays best and gives the team the best chance to win, the starter will be either Garrard or Smith.

Unless Smith pans out and is ready to start or they just decide to go with him to see what he can do and let him learn while playing, the Jets don't have their QB of the future on the roster, so it won't really matter who starts from that perspective. Even if Smith proves to be the answer at QB, a strong case can be made for not starting him immediately.  Therefore, I believe that who the future is at QB is completely irrelevant, because we know that barring a miracle of Biblical proportions, that won't be Sanchez..  It won't be Garrard either because of his age and his limitations.  As you say, neither McElroy and Sims are the answer, so the only possibly QB who can be their future is Smith, and if he's not ready to start game 1, then whoever does start will just be a stopgap starter until Smith is ready.

Since Woody is a clueless doofus, you're probably right that he won't cut Sanchez because of what he owes him. A good owner, one who knows the game, has pride in his team and really wants to win, wouldn't allow that to be a factor.  In fact, he probably wouldn't be in this mess, because he never would have let his GM give Sanchez that big extension.

I didn't say or imply that you were stupid.  I'm sorry if you thought I did.  You said fans at the stadium without mentioning how you would think/feel about it, and so I rightfully thought you were talking about others, not yourself.  I never even considered including you in that category.  I haven't been around this site very long, but have been around long enough to think that you are a knowledgeable fan.

The Jets HAVE deserved to be booed a lot.  At the end of last season, I had had it with the Jets and their stupidity.  I had been a fan since 1964 and was done.  I never thought Woody would fire Tanny, and had little reason or hope to think that things would get any better as long as Woody owned the team.  So believe me, I don't have a problem with Jets fans booing the franchise or Woody.  For much of their history, they've deserved being laughed at, ridiculed, scorned and booed.  What does bother me is when the team makes a rare good move and then some knuckleheads boo.

We all have opinions on what we think the team should do and how they should fix their problems, and that's what makes these Jets' sites interesting.  Many, if not most, ideas have at least some merit and some connection with reality, but not all ideas are equal I've seen and heard a lot of ideas over the years that had NO basic connection with football facts or reality.  Some fans just aren't very knowledgeable.  Again, I'm NOT saying that you're one of those fans

Sanchez may very well begin the season as the starter, but if he does, it's because Woody either orders that to be the case, or because Rex has a Woody for Sanchez.  It sure won't be because Sanchez is the best QB or because Garrard has forgotten how to play.  If they go with who plays best and gives the team the best chance to win, the starter will be either Garrard or Smith.

Unless Smith pans out and is ready to start or they just decide to go with him to see what he can do and let him learn while playing, the Jets don't have their QB of the future on the roster, so it won't really matter who starts from that perspective. Even if Smith proves to be the answer at QB, a strong case can be made for not starting him immediately.  Therefore, I believe that who the future is at QB is completely irrelevant, because we know that barring a miracle of Biblical proportions, that won't be Sanchez..  It won't be Garrard either because of his age and his limitations.  As you say, neither McElroy and Sims are the answer, so the only possibly QB who can be their future is Smith, and if he's not ready to start game 1, then whoever does start will just be a stopgap starter until Smith is ready.

Since Woody is a clueless doofus, you're probably right that he won't cut Sanchez because of what he owes him. A good owner, one who knows the game, has pride in his team and really wants to win, wouldn't allow that to be a factor.  In fact, he probably wouldn't be in this mess, because he never would have let his GM give Sanchez that big extension.

I didn't say or imply that you were stupid.  I'm sorry if you thought I did.  You said fans at the stadium without mentioning how you would think/feel about it, and so I rightfully thought you were talking about others, not yourself.  I never even considered including you in that category.  I haven't been around this site very long, but have been around long enough to think that you are a knowledgeable fan.

The Jets HAVE deserved to be booed a lot.  At the end of last season, I had had it with the Jets and their stupidity.  I had been a fan since 1964 and was done.  I never thought Woody would fire Tanny, and had little reason or hope to think that things would get any better as long as Woody owned the team.  So believe me, I don't have a problem with Jets fans booing the franchise or Woody.  For much of their history, they've deserved being laughed at, ridiculed, scorned and booed.  What does bother me is when the team makes a rare good move and then some knuckleheads boo.

We all have opinions on what we think the team should do and how they should fix their problems, and that's what makes these Jets' sites interesting.  Many, if not most, ideas have at least some merit and some connection with reality, but not all ideas are equal I've seen and heard a lot of ideas over the years that had NO basic connection with football facts or reality.  Some fans just aren't very knowledgeable.  Again, I'm NOT saying that you're one of those fans

No apology necessary, my friend..i was just busting your chops a little.... And you make many valid points and we both agree here that Geno is the future... so really anything that happens between now and then is like you said, a stopgap.  I guess we will have to see how it plays out over training camp but ultimately it will be interesting to see how Rex handles this QB situation as the season begins and progresses.  Go jets!

Week 1 should be

1-Sanchez

2-Geno

3-McElroy

Garrard has always been a bum and now hasn't played in 2 years.

Simms has to be listed on roster as favor to father, I don't even count him.

Interesting take. We're doing a former Giants QB favor and dropping the most talented QB on the roster

So the argument I've seen for using Sanchez over Garrard, even if Garrard wins the job on merit, is:

(a) don't want Geno Smith to be forced into starting;

(b) Sanchez is less likely to be forced from the starting role because he's less likely to get injured.  Even if he sucks Rex can keep him in there all season, but with a more injury-prone Garrard, Smith may be forced in there too early;

(c) Concern over Garrard getting hurt (and thus forcing Smith onto the field prematurely) can't be solved by having a trio of 1. Garrard, 2. Sanchez, 3. Smith, because fans would be very angry if Sanchez is brought in as #2 ahead of Smith.

They're going to be very angry if Sanchez is out there game 1, so I see little to be concerned about.  And if Garrard gets hurt and Sanchez is next in line, Rex can easily get out there and say Smith has looked really good in practice blah blah blah but he isn't ready to start yet.  If he can say all the glowing things he's said about Sanchez for the past 4 years, he can do it again for another half-season if needed in 2013.

I don't want Sanchez on the team but I'm really not very concerned with Smith learning bad things from Sanchez.  Of all the things he sees Sanchez do, he'll see him suck badly on the field, and see how he deals with pressure after the ball is snapped, and say to himself he's emulating anything this guy does.  If Smith isn't able to pick up on that much, then he's not too perceptive anyway and we still need to draft a QB.

If Sanchez loses to Garrard and McElroy can't beat out Sanchez, then the rest of the team needs to see performance rewarded and failure have its consequences.  And in that instance, which seems likely to me, the pecking order should be Garrard then Sanchez then Smith.  McElroy gets cut, and Simms QBs the practice squad.  If McElroy is eligible for the practice squad (was he on the active roster for less than 6 games?) then maybe he gets that job over Simms but that's it.  

We don't have 4 QBs worth holding onto; you do that MAYBE if you have two guys who are neck & neck for the #3 job and you feel one of them can be the team's long-term solution as the #2 guy (which is what the Jets have done in the recent past since they knew at 40 yeards old Brunell wasn't their long-term #2 QB).  Even then it's probably stupid.  It isn't that hard to draft another upgrade from McElroy or Simms in an upcoming draft if they chose poorly between the two on final cut-down day. 

So the argument I've seen for using Sanchez over Garrard, even if Garrard wins the job on merit, is:

(a) don't want Geno Smith to be forced into starting;

(b) Sanchez is less likely to be forced from the starting role because he's less likely to get injured.  Even if he sucks Rex can keep him in there all season, but with a more injury-prone Garrard, Smith may be forced in there too early;

(c) Concern over Garrard getting hurt (and thus forcing Smith onto the field prematurely) can't be solved by having a trio of 1. Garrard, 2. Sanchez, 3. Smith, because fans would be very angry if Sanchez is brought in as #2 ahead of Smith.

They're going to be very angry if Sanchez is out there game 1, so I see little to be concerned about.  And if Garrard gets hurt and Sanchez is next in line, Rex can easily get out there and say Smith has looked really good in practice blah blah blah but he isn't ready to start yet.  If he can say all the glowing things he's said about Sanchez for the past 4 years, he can do it again for another half-season if needed in 2013.

I don't want Sanchez on the team but I'm really not very concerned with Smith learning bad things from Sanchez.  Of all the things he sees Sanchez do, he'll see him suck badly on the field, and see how he deals with pressure after the ball is snapped, and say to himself he's emulating anything this guy does.  If Smith isn't able to pick up on that much, then he's not too perceptive anyway and we still need to draft a QB.

If Sanchez loses to Garrard and McElroy can't beat out Sanchez, then the rest of the team needs to see performance rewarded and failure have its consequences.  And in that instance, which seems likely to me, the pecking order should be Garrard then Sanchez then Smith.  McElroy gets cut, and Simms QBs the practice squad.  If McElroy is eligible for the practice squad (was he on the active roster for less than 6 games?) then maybe he gets that job over Simms but that's it.  

We don't have 4 QBs worth holding onto; you do that MAYBE if you have two guys who are neck & neck for the #3 job and you feel one of them can be the team's long-term solution as the #2 guy (which is what the Jets have done in the recent past since they knew at 40 yeards old Brunell wasn't their long-term #2 QB).  Even then it's probably stupid.  It isn't that hard to draft another upgrade from McElroy or Simms in an upcoming draft if they chose poorly between the two on final cut-down day. 

Agree with all of this, with the only thing being I'd bet on McElroy grabbing the PS spot, with the idea of him moving back into the #3 role next year if they don't end up drafting anyone else.  I'm pretty sure he's still PS eligible as he was on IR his entire rookie year and, if I'm not mistaken, that Arizona game he came in during was the first time he was even active in his career.

To your original point, the only reason Sanchez is still being kept around is insurance.  Insurance in case Garrard doesn't stay healthy AND the team is convinced Smith needs more time.  Only if both of those things happen does Sanchez have any chance of starting for this team.  That's also assuming that neither of McElroy or Simms manage to wrestle away a roster spot from Sanchez (although I wouldn't bet on that happening).

To your original point, the only reason Sanchez is still being kept around is insurance.  Insurance in case Garrard doesn't stay healthy AND the team is convinced Smith needs more time.  Only if both of those things happen does Sanchez have any chance of starting for this team.  

Garrard hasn't played since 2010 and Geno doesn't know how to take a snap from under center.

Sanchez starting is actually the most likely outcome, if we are being honest with ourselves.  

Archived