I see no reason why

Jacked4JetsFB

Except you don't even have viable scrubs at receiver right now.

The best case scenario for al y'all sad homer-clowns this year is that the Brick-Winters-Mangold left side of the line dominates and Ivory/Goodson combine for 2,000 yards, which could get you 7 wins if the defense hasn't taken a step back.

I've been saying the latter since the draft. 

I'm not sure how it classifies as being a homer, but if the running game becomes dominant again and the defense is on par with Rex's defenses. We will out-perform the predominant expectations, challenge for #2 in the division and by week 10-12 be talked about as a playoff hopeful (see: on the bubble).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan White should step up this year.  Clyde sh!tty Gates is pretty terrible imo.

There was a problem last year with separation.  I don't know how much that had to do with Luigi's design but at least some of it can be attributed to the talent of our WR core.

Sanchez was pumping to his intended receiver all last year.  if MM cant fix that Sanchez deserves to be 3rd on the depth chart.  If Garrard is healthy, I hope he starts.

Bet?  Gates will have better numbers than White.  

I'm not sure why you think White will "step up" and Gates sucks.  The team cut White him and only brought him back due to injuries.  He had 1 catch last year.  Stepping up would probably amount to 10. The team evidently preferred Gates who played in more than 10 games and had better than 50 yards twice.  Gates is a legit burner (sub-4.3) and raw coming from Abilene Christian after quitting hoops.  He is older for a young guy, but he is good after the catch which might serve him well in the WCO.  Jordan White is pretty slow and a low ceiling guy.

Wait.... you just made a Bill & Ted's reference while trying to troll/rip on me for implying something that is "outdated"? 

Really?

so where do we stand now? Are you saying the 2013 Jets are a playoff team?  or only if Clyde Gates turns into Rod Smith and Jeff Cumberland turns into Chad Lewis? 

original poster " I see no reason why" the JEts can't be the Seahawks.

well there are reasons why ... you just don't see them. 

Bet?  Gates will have better numbers than White.  

I'm not sure why you think White will "step up" and Gates sucks.  The team cut White him and only brought him back due to injuries.  He had 1 catch last year.  Stepping up would probably amount to 10. The team evidently preferred Gates who played in more than 10 games and had better than 50 yards twice.  Gates is a legit burner (sub-4.3) and raw coming from Abilene Christian after quitting hoops.  He is older for a young guy, but he is good after the catch which might serve him well in the WCO.  Jordan White is pretty slow and a low ceiling guy.

I thought White was injured last year so that is why I expected him to step up after 1 year of being in the pros albeit a different offense now.  I at least got to see Gates play last year and he had the opportunity to show what he had with him not having to fight for opportunities with other receivers.  I didn't see much.  I will go with the unknown commodity rather than the JAG who has done, nothing in now 2 systems.  You have to think that Luigi tried his best to make him look good as I am sure he was the reason that Gates came here.

I could be wrong but I will take your bet.  What is the wager?

so where do we stand now? Are you saying the 2013 Jets are a playoff team?  or only if Clyde Gates turns into Rod Smith and Jeff Cumberland turns into Chad Lewis? 

original poster " I see no reason why" the JEts can't be the Seahawks.

well there are reasons why ... you just don't see them. 

Where do we stand?

I make clear-cut statements and don't run away from them, making you look like a goof.

You misconstrue them and put words in my mouth, and keep trolling me hoping I mis-speak so you can flip-the-script and save face.

That about covers it, no?

Is Gates the scumbag who pulled a santonio holmes and made a first down signal late in the game against the dolphins while losing?

Yep!  That was the old team revenge type thing.  He caught half of his career total receptions in that game alone.

Total revenge factor right there.  Yeah, we lost, but check out my first down bitches!!!!!!!!!

I thought White was injured last year so that is why I expected him to step up after 1 year of being in the pros albeit a different offense now.  I at least got to see Gates play last year and he had the opportunity to show what he had with him not having to fight for opportunities with other receivers.  I didn't see much.  I will go with the unknown commodity rather than the JAG who has done, nothing in now 2 systems.  You have to think that Luigi tried his best to make him look good as I am sure he was the reason that Gates came here.

I could be wrong but I will take your bet.  What is the wager?

White was hurt in camp, but I remember him doing nothing of interest.  As for a wager, I'm not sure.  I don't think we hate each other enough to bet anything good. 

Is Gates the scumbag who pulled a santonio holmes and made a first down signal late in the game against the dolphins while losing?

Quite likely.  He probably hated those guys. He played there in 2011.

not really.  We are all Jets fans. I don't think the skill positions are playoff caliber. You do (I think). We will have to agree to disagree. 

Positions don't make the playoffs, teams do.

If you want to know what I actually think, you should read the thread. I've been abundantly clear. Going all the way back to my initial response to the OP.

I hope Geno outperforms everyone in camp so much that Rex has no choice but to start him, a la Russell Wilson.  Otherwise it'll be a long year while we wait for him to develop, and 2014 will be up in the air.

Wishful thinking, I know.  However, as long as it isn't Sanchez under center Week 1, I'll be content.

The WR and TE are a legitimate concern. But had the jets drafted a TE and WR, then everyone would be complaining about no one on the OL. They were never going to be able to fill all of the holes in 1 year. The jets may have no one to throw to, but they shouldn't be worried about running for their lives while throwing

I'll never set my expectations for the season based on game 1 again, not under Rex. His teams, if I recall, come out and put a thumping on the Bills last year, the Texans in Sanchez's first game ever, and without checking I believe had impressive debuts the other 2 seasons in between.

Game 1 is not a barometer for what Rex has his hands on. Game 6 is about when we know what kind of team he's really putting on the field.

2010 opener was monday night against the ravens and was not "impressive" offensively losing 10-9. the game dustin keller was properly introduced to Ray Lewis.

if there is a reason why they can't it's the WR/TE corp. the 2012 Seahawks had Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate with Zach Miller at TE. the 2013 Jets have a gimpy Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley with Jeff Cumberland at TE. It's a huge step down.

That Seahawks group is so meh you couldn't even get the J. Baldwin's name right. He's a prick version of Stephen Hill.

if there is a reason why they can't it's the WR/TE corp. the 2012 Seahawks had Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate with Zach Miller at TE. the 2013 Jets have a gimpy Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley with Jeff Cumberland at TE. It's a huge step down. 

lol

Zach Miller = 396 yards in 15 starts (26 yards/start)

Jeff Cumberland = 359 yards in 12 starts (30 yards/start)

Doug Baldwin = 366 yards (26 ypg)

Chaz Schilens 289 yards (19 ypg)

Sydney Rice = 748 yards (47 ypg)

Stephen Hill = 252 yards (23 ypg)

Golden Tate = 688 yards (46 ypg)

Jeremy Kerley = 827 yards (52 ypg)

So you're talking about a cumulative 21 yards per game (and I didn't even count Holmes and all of his catches wouldn't have evaporated if he hadn't started 4 games).  

Now factor in:

- handicap that Mark Sanchez has on all receivers (not to mention McElroy + Tebow, who handled 8% of the '12 Jets pass attempts)

- handicap that Tony Sparano & his offensive "scheme" has on a team's passing game in general

- Hill was about as raw as you can get (even for a rookie) & had little business seeing more than spot action

- Cumberland in the first real/consistent NFL action of his career

And you're telling me with all that stacked against them, our "huge step down" receivers managed to come within 21 yards per game of this stable of "studs" you've outlined in Seattle? 

Whether you realize it or not, you just outlined a reason to be more optimistic about our receivers. 

lol

So you're talking about a cumulative 21 yards per game (and I didn't even count Holmes and all of his catches wouldn't have evaporated if he hadn't started 4 games).  

Now factor in:

- handicap that Mark Sanchez has on all receivers (not to mention McElroy + Tebow, who handled 8% of the '12 Jets pass attempts)

- handicap that Tony Sparano & his offensive "scheme" has on a team's passing game in general

- Hill was about as raw as you can get (even for a rookie) & had little business seeing more than spot action

And you're telling me with all that stacked against them, our "huge step down" receivers managed to come within 21 yards per game of this stable of "studs" you've outlined in Seattle? 

Whether you realize it or not, you just outlined a reason to be more optimistic about our receivers. 

Huge handicap = Sanchez. HAHA  Well done.

A constant in the McNabb years were a tight end. Chad Lewis was his blanket. And later Kelce became that role.

The Jets got rid of a 60+ catch per season Keller and replaced him with  20 catch per season Cumberland. 

this is not a playoff caliber WR/TE. no way to spin it otherwise. Well there is one way to imagine Cumberland and Clyde Gates becoming awesome. 

keller wasan't all that good here really. he was decent but nothing more. cumberland will now have more than 20 receptions. the more snaps he plays the more chances he will get.

2010 opener was monday night against the ravens and was not "impressive" offensively losing 10-9. the game dustin keller was properly introduced to Ray Lewis.

Yeah, that's been covered... To my original point, I think someone said our best season after that loss, never set expectations after game 1

keller wasan't all that good here really. he was decent but nothing more. cumberland will now have more than 20 receptions. the more snaps he plays the more chances he will get.[/quote

This type of logic is lost on him.

lol

Now factor in:

Nice breakdown.  Proves what I said earlier in the thread.  They found a QB.  Thats it.  Thats all.  Same exact skills players from the year before.  Put Sanchez on that team and we'd all be bent out of shape about how bad our WR's are.

Archived