Woody - Jets fans should be patient.

PatriotReign37

What pisses me off about Woody, is this(the Jets)... is his fckn hobby! The Jets to me, are my fckn life!

It's a hobby for 80% of these owners. I don't like Woody either but in the grand scheme of things, who cares. I just hope he lucked into the right GM in Idzik.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who? the guy from san fran everyone thought sucked after his interview?

You mean Tom Gamble?  WHO thought he sucked?

There were other excellent candidates available, but several of them immediately said they had zero interest in the Jets job.  I can't remember their names, and don't have the time to research who they were, but there were at least 3-4 who were better candidates than Idzik.

What pisses me off about Woody, is this(the Jets)... is his fckn hobby!  The Jets to me, are my fckn life!  

You want to know why I hate this guy now more than ever?  

Woody Johnson puts Mitt Romney winning presidential election ahead of winning season for NY Jets on wish list Jets owner, when asked if he'd rather see the Jets have a winning season or a Republican in the White House, says 'you always have to put country first.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/pinch-woody-picks-mitt-jets-article-1.1172131

There were other excellent candidates available, but several of them immediately said they had zero interest in the Jets job.  I can't remember their names, and don't have the time to research who they were, but there were at least 3-4 who were better candidates than Idzik.

There was 1... and he played the Jets to get more money from Shaka Kahn.

no there wasnt and also everyone thought gamble sucked

even before the jets announced idzik i was told by a retired GM that gamble came off as soft and blew the interviews with basically every team

no one wanted to give that guy a GM job

I just hate whenever I see anywhere that Woody has spoken.  Now he is saying that Sanchez will be coming to camp to competen (heard this on a WFAN 20/20).  Another phony Jet scenario.  I truly believe that Sanchez will be gone some time this summer.  So putting this forward is disingenuous, even if it is technically correct.  Why do the Jets/Woody do things like this?  Can't the guy just stay home and keep his mouth shut?

If I spent $635 millions to buy the team and spend every penny of the salary cap each year, I would definitely want to interact with those that support the team.

no there wasnt and also everyone thought gamble sucked

even before the jets announced idzik i was told by a retired GM that gamble came off as soft and blew the interviews with basically every team

no one wanted to give that guy a GM job

Yes there was, and you still haven't explained who the "everyone" who thought Gamble sucked.  That's utter BS and your own opinion, not that of most Jets fans or of people in the NFL.  Gamble is every bit as respected as Idzik, and he has had a lot more to do with putting the Niners team together than Idzik ever did with Seattle.

Get real.

Yes there was, and you still haven't explained who the "everyone" who thought Gamble sucked.  That's utter BS and your own opinion, not that of most Jets fans or of people in the NFL.  Gamble is every bit as respected as Idzik, and he has had a lot more to do with putting the Niners team together than Idzik ever did with Seattle.

Get real.

? what do you mean i thought it mad it clear. He applied for GM jobs throughout the NFL and was the presumed front runner but the people in the NFL said he sh*t the bed during the interview. It was his to lose and hes lost it

saying he put niners together more then idzik in seattle is also laughable. Gamble was there when they sucked and the 49ers didnt turn around until they got a new GM whom i give all the credit of rebuilding the 49ers to

edit: if he really was the mastermind behind the 49ers rebuilding the 49ers didnt seem to care when they let him go to the eagles for a lateral move.

people beat this guy up because they say all he does it try to make headlines

now they beating em up for saying be patient? Which from my understanding is the exact opposite of flashy headlines

BUT he intentionally stated this to make MORE headlines!!!!  So your statement is incorrect, Woody is being consistent in who he is, he will do whatever it takes to keep his football teams name in the spot light, and when he has exhausted all football related ways, he then went the circus route, now that Idzik is trying to close the circus down, he has to make headlines by publicly stating something that is obvious from the gameplan this team used this offseason, and draft.  He needs to learn to just shut his mouth, let the football people handle the operation, and his spotlight will come one day, and it will come the right way with him excepting the Lombardi trophy in front of 100's of million people watching around the world.  But as long as he keeps pulling these look at me, look at me antics instead of running a football franchise properly he will never get that oppurtonity, a lesson unfortunatley for us Jets fans he will never learn, so he will never get that trophy handed to him!

Get real.

What exactly is your point?  Are you seriously complaining that the Jets didn't hire someone to be the GM that not a single team in the league wanted as their GM over a guy you have yourself admitted to have been happy with to date?  It sure seems like a pretty desperate attempt to completely fabricate a reason to whine about Woody.

Even if those around the NFL don't think he sucks, obviously Gamble isn't thought of as amazingly highly as you're trying to paint it either, considering that with numerous GM jobs available all around the league, he failed to land a single one of them.  At the very least, he went from being considered the front-runner for the Jets' job to not even being one of the finalists for the position.  That's quite the fall, so obviously they didn't come away all that impressed.

BUT he intentionally stated this to make MORE headlines!!!!  So your statement is incorrect, Woody is being consistent in who he is, he will do whatever it takes to keep his football teams name in the spot light, and when he has exhausted all football related ways, he then went the circus route, now that Idzik is trying to close the circus down, he has to make headlines by publicly stating something that is obvious from the gameplan this team used this offseason, and draft.  He needs to learn to just shut his mouth, let the football people handle the operation, and his spotlight will come one day, and it will come the right way with him excepting the Lombardi trophy in front of 100's of million people watching around the world.  But as long as he keeps pulling these look at me, look at me antics instead of running a football franchise properly he will never get that oppurtonity, a lesson unfortunatley for us Jets fans he will never learn, so he will never get that trophy handed to him!

idk man i dont think these are headlines. Just blips if i wasnt following this forum i would never know he even mentioned this

headline headlines = tebow trade, if he got geno smith at 9 or 13, declaring super bowls, etc.

If I spent $635 millions to buy the team and spend every penny of the salary cap each year, I would definitely want to interact with those that support the team.

Fine.  Just don't act like you are am old football hand.  Money entitles you to make all the wrong decisions you want.  Just don't insult my intelligence by expecting me to think that you have the football stuff well in hand.

Everything he states, is a headline. Whether he's saying "be patient" or "super bowl bound". He's in NY. Every sentence gets decoded. In fact, every word gets decoded. If Woody says "no comments" to a question, he'd be called an ignorant pr*ck. If he asked the fans "be patient", some stupid fans will call him out as doing it intentionally. The f*ck? According to your BS theory, he created headlines by stating something that is obvious. What else the f*ck you want him to say? Lie? I think that would grab more headlines. Get a clue and stop b*tching about one stating the obvious when asked.

week 1 is 4 months away.

And Woody wants us to be patient.

for when, 2016?

dont get be wrong I like that the team has a non-insane plan but it could be very ugly in the near term. 

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Next season Sanchez and Rex will both be gone.

What exactly is your point?  Are you seriously complaining that the Jets didn't hire someone to be the GM that not a single team in the league wanted as their GM over a guy you have yourself admitted to have been happy with to date?  It sure seems like a pretty desperate attempt to completely fabricate a reason to whine about Woody.

Even if those around the NFL don't think he sucks, obviously Gamble isn't thought of as amazingly highly as you're trying to paint it either, considering that with numerous GM jobs available all around the league, he failed to land a single one of them.  At the very least, he went from being considered the front-runner for the Jets' job to not even being one of the finalists for the position.  That's quite the fall, so obviously they didn't come away all that impressed.

My point was and is that I think Woody is a clueless doofus.  My initital post was about Woody, not Gamble.  Gamble was just one of the many reasons why I dislike Woody.  Convenient of you to cherry pick one point and focus solely on that, and in the process miss the forest for the trees.

One of the few good moves Woody has made as an owner may have been hiring and listening to the head hunting firm that recommended Idzik.  Idzik may prove to be a great GM for the Jets.   I hope he will, and so far I'm happy with the job that he's done, but I'm not sold yet.  Gamble may have blown the interview and may in actuality not have been the best choice, but at the time the Jets were looking, he was VERY highly respected and thought of, at least with the information we fans had access to.  You're looking at it in hindsight.

Please don't tell me that you're one of those posters where anyone who disagrees with you and isn't happy with something is "whining."  I've seen enough chowderheads like that on Jets sites to last 2 lifetimes, so if that's representative of who you really are, feel free to skip the rest of my posts.

My point was and is that I think Woody is a clueless doofus.  My initital post was about Woody, not Gamble.  Gamble was just one of the many reasons why I dislike Woody.  Convenient of you to cherry pick one point and focus solely on that, and in the process miss the forest for the trees.

One of the few good moves Woody has made as an owner may have been hiring and listening to the head hunting firm that recommended Idzik.  Idzik may prove to be a great GM for the Jets.   I hope he will, and so far I'm happy with the job that he's done, but I'm not sold yet.  Gamble may have blown the interview and may in actuality not have been the best choice, but at the time the Jets were looking, he was VERY highly respected and thought of, at least with the information we fans had access to.  You're looking at it in hindsight.

Please don't tell me that you're one of those posters where anyone who disagrees with you and isn't happy with something is "whining."  I've seen enough chowderheads like that on Jets sites to last 2 lifetimes, so if that's representative of who you really are, feel free to skip the rest of my posts.

you hate woody because he didnt hire a sucky gm?

so what your saying is ..... you have no reason to hate him except the jets sucking yet make up things to hate

? what do you mean i thought it mad it clear. He applied for GM jobs throughout the NFL and was the presumed front runner but the people in the NFL said he sh*t the bed during the interview. It was his to lose and hes lost it

saying he put niners together more then idzik in seattle is also laughable. Gamble was there when they sucked and the 49ers didnt turn around until they got a new GM whom i give all the credit of rebuilding the 49ers to

edit: if he really was the mastermind behind the 49ers rebuilding the 49ers didnt seem to care when they let him go to the eagles for a lateral move.

There were several articles that were published when the GM search was in the early stages that listed who might be possible candidates and there were 3-4 that seemed like the best candidates....each had solid experience in scouting and personnel and had worked with teams like the Packers, Niners, Saints, Falcons Steelers and maybe Ravens, I think.  Once I  learned that all but Gamble said they had no interest in the job, and Gamble interviewed, said he wanted the job, but didn't get it, I stopped paying attention.  I don't follow other NFL teams so never heard all the follow up negative stuff that you heard and didn't know that Gamble didn't get another GM job.

Gamble was with SF when they sucked, but had different job responsibilities.  According to the information I read at the time, SF started getting better when he became more involved with making personnel decisions in the draft and with pro personnel.

Gamble may have been a disaster or he might have been every bit as solid as Idzik has been.  Where a lot of fans were unhappy that Idzik stayed put and went strictly BPA, perhaps Gamble may have taken more of a balanced approach to the draft, balancing need with BPA and traded down when necessary to get a player he liked and get value.  Then again, he may have reached for players or even taken Warmack at #9.  In either case, I wouldn't have been happy with him for that.  At any rate, it doesn't matter.  He didn't get the job and Idzik seems to be doing a solid job.  If he continues and proves to be a great hire, my thinking on this point will change and that will go in the positive column for Woody rather than negative.

I'm rooting for Idzik, because as I see it, if Woody will stay out of the way and let him do his job, he's the only hope that we fans have for a realistic shot at  a Lombardi Trophy in the next 5 years or so.

you hate woody because he didnt hire a sucky gm?

so what your saying is ..... you have no reason to hate him except the jets sucking yet make up things to hate

You know very well what I said if you have a brain and can read.  You're just being a jerk and I'm done with you.  Grow up and/or quit being an ass and maybe I'll respond to you again in the future when you want to have a civil, mature discussion.

You know very well what I said if you have a brain and can read.  You're just being a jerk and I'm done with you.  Grow up and/or quit being an ass and maybe I'll respond to you again in the future when you want to have a civil, mature discussion.

im an ass but your the one cat calling me with childish name and insults. bahaha someones a little hostile

explain to me why u dont like woody cause im sorry but your not making much sense

You could say the same thing about Idzik.  So he gets no blame for having 5 losing seasons and all the credit for 1 winning season.   Ok.

It's not exactly "cherry picking" when the entire topic of the post I responded to was Gamble.  Feel free to go back and reread your own post if you need, but it's true.  Beyond that, you've really just proven my whole point.  Yes, of course hindsight is going to come into play when you're still trying to criticize someone for something that happened months ago, especially when the evidence suggests you were wrong about it at the time.  Sure, we're all wrong about plenty around here, no big deal, but at that point you need to let it go, not continue to harp on it and get pissy when people disagree with your already disproven premise.  The issue isn't your initial beliefs, it's that you're still trying to criticize Woody and tell off other posters on the basis of something you're wrong about.

It seems that the bottom line is you don't want to give credit to Woody for anything, to the point that you feel the need to come up with excuses to even criticize him for a decision that you admittedly have no reason to be unhappy about.  I'm sure you have plenty of other reasons you hate Woody, and they might all be great reasons, but that doesn't change that this one has little (if any) merit to it.  When that happens, yeah, you're going to come across as whiny.  You don't help your cause by telling people off who point out flaws in your argument and then preaching on about how other people should post.  It's a message board after all, and you clearly have no problem giving other people crap for their opinions, so don't be surprised when you get it in return.

The BG school of debate..  regularly claim your opponent has "proved your point" whether they have or haven't.  That and 4 more paragraphs.

Hey, it's not my fault posters around here regularly contradict themselves. :P

And that one was only two paragraphs, so HA!  In your face!  Thanks for proving my point (??).

Jet fans should be patient. Even if you're pleased as pie about everything Idzik has done so far, the moves he's made are still largely very conservative. He shored up the defense and the running game, but it's still a passing league, and the Jets are still deficient in that department. People are optimistic about Geno, but he went #39 overall (with a few QB needy teams passing on him twice) for a reason. The Jets receivers and TEs are a below average group (being generous here) until someone proves otherwise. The Jets still don't have a clear plan about the future of the coaching staff, and we could see a disconnect between Rex's short term goals, and Idzik's long term goals this year.

Next year is when the full rebuild takes place. Rex proves himself, or he's gone. Sanchez probably doesn't have that much of a chance. The team will have as many as five extra draft picks and as much as $50M in cap space. That's when the team will get built. This year was a little foundation work in preparation for the coming overhaul, that's all.

You could say the same thing about Idzik.  So he gets no blame for having 5 losing seasons and all the credit for 1 winning season.   Ok.

nope. But seahawks > 49ers before they both turned reall good.

49ers obviouslly didnt think gamble was anything special so they let him leave for a laterral move. NFL teams obviouslly didnt think gamble was good because most teams had him fall from the front runner for GM to not even a finalist. Couple all that with the fact that a former GM told me gamble wouldnt be a good GM and was awful during the interviewing process I say Idzik>Gamble

It's not exactly "cherry picking" when the entire topic of the post I responded to was Gamble.  Feel free to go back and reread your own post if you need, but it's true.  Beyond that, you've really just proven my whole point.  Yes, of course hindsight is going to come into play when you're still trying to criticize someone for something that happened months ago, especially when the evidence suggests you were wrong about it at the time.  Sure, we're all wrong about plenty around here, no big deal, but at that point you need to let it go, not continue to harp on it and get pissy when people disagree with your already disproven premise.  The issue isn't your initial beliefs, it's that you're still trying to criticize Woody and tell off other posters on the basis of something you're wrong about.

It seems that the bottom line is you don't want to give credit to Woody for anything, to the point that you feel the need to come up with excuses to even criticize him for a decision that you admittedly have no reason to be unhappy about.  I'm sure you have plenty of other reasons you hate Woody, and they might all be great reasons, but that doesn't change that this one has little (if any) merit to it.  When that happens, yeah, you're going to come across as whiny.  You don't help your cause by telling people off who point out flaws in your argument and then preaching on about how other people should post.  It's a message board after all, and you clearly have no problem giving other people crap for their opinions, so don't be surprised when you get it in return.

I consider it cherry picking when my original post was about why I don't like Woody, and you single out one of those reasons and harp on it and not only fail to mention the others, but until your latest response, make it seem like I have no right to dislike Woody.  In retrospect, it looks like I may have been wrong about Gamble.  If so, that's fine, I've certainly been wrong before and will be again.  Even if I was wrong about Gamble, it still doesn't mean that ultimately Idzik was the best or right hire for the Jets.  Time will tell.

For the record, I'm willing to give Woody credit for anything good he does, it's just that I've seen very little good that he's actually done.  He's willing to spend money on players for the team.  I'll give him that.  My major problem with him has been that he's been too arrogant or stupid to realize how little he knows about the game, and rather than hiring a sound football man to run the franchise, he has hired marketing men and accountants and made one bad move after another.  He has also seemed to care more about selling PSLs than putting a winning team on the field, and doesn't seem to get it that fielding a winning team WILL put fannies in the seats.  I have no need to come up with reasons not to like him.  He provides enough of those on his own.

One thing that I give him credit for is hiring the head hunting firm for the GM search and for listening to them.  If Idzik continues to pan out and make good moves, then I'll give him credit for that, but as I said, imo the jury is still out on that.   

Gamble wasn't the only candidate I liked for the Jets' GM job.   Yes, now it appears that Gamble might not have been a great GM candidate, but we don't know for sure.  Just because a lot of teams didn't hire him really doesn't mean anything.  Every year NFL teams hire retread coaches and GMs who have sucked everywhere they've been, and ignore some candidates who turn out to be very, very good and successful once they get a chance.  They bring in mediocre players and expect them to turn things around for them.  They miss on players in the draft.  The truth is, we'll never know for certain how things might have panned out if one of those other candidates were hired.

If I got "pissy" it was because of the tone of your response to me.  I felt it insulting and demeaning, so I responded in kind.  I would much rather keep things more civil and on a higher level, but don't take crap from anyone.  There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, even strongly, about "opinions" if you don't make it personal.  You made it personal and insulting by accusing me of "whining."  Disagree with my opinion all you want and give the reasons why, but if you come at me personally, I'm likely to come right back at you, even though I try not to resort to that kind of pettiness. Accusing another man of whining is pretty low and doesn't encourage civil discourse.  

Jet fans should be patient. Even if you're pleased as pie about everything Idzik has done so far, the moves he's made are still largely very conservative. He shored up the defense and the running game, but it's still a passing league, and the Jets are still deficient in that department. People are optimistic about Geno, but he went #39 overall (with a few QB needy teams passing on him twice) for a reason. The Jets receivers and TEs are a below average group (being generous here) until someone proves otherwise. The Jets still don't have a clear plan about the future of the coaching staff, and we could see a disconnect between Rex's short term goals, and Idzik's long term goals this year.

Next year is when the full rebuild takes place. Rex proves himself, or he's gone. Sanchez probably doesn't have that much of a chance. The team will have as many as five extra draft picks and as much as $50M in cap space. That's when the team will get built. This year was a little foundation work in preparation for the coming overhaul, that's all.

Excellent post, slats.  I agree. 

Idzik could prove to handle the draft and personnel adeptly, but falter in his CS hires.  I think that the decision he makes regarding Rex, whether he stays or goes, and if he goes, who he hires, will determine how long he keeps his job and whether he is an excellent GM, a mediocre one, or somewhere in between.

Archived