Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

LOL.  What quality players are out there to sign right now?  Dallas Clark (nope)?  Give me a list.

If the Jets bring back Brandon Moore he's the best guard on the roster. By far.  If they sign any WR we've heard of that guy is an instant starter. the offense reeks.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Jets bring back Brandon Moore he's the best guard on the roster. By far.  If they sign any WR we've heard of that guy is an instant starter. the offense reeks.

Moore is an UFA who hasn't been signed by ANYONE yet.  Perhaps Idzik will get him to come back cheap once Moore realizes the market out there isn't favorable?  Did you see how many offensive linemen (particularly guards) got drafted this year?  Especially by us?  I like Moore, but what teams are beating on the door to get our "best guard on the roster by far"?

Give me some names of WR's.  And if you say "Braylon" I will smack you on the mouth.  34-year old Brandon Lloyd?  Steve Breaston? 

F that.  I'd rather see if Stephen Hill takes the next step, cut Santonio after the season, and draft a WR.  Holmes-Hill-Kerley will probably look like a much better trio when Garrard or Geno are taking snaps.  Jordan White and Gates are fine enough at the 4 and 5 spots.

I'd like to get a TE but there's NO ONE out there.  Maybe someone gets cut June 1st who can help us.

Moore is an UFA who hasn't been signed by ANYONE yet.  Perhaps Idzik will get him to come back cheap once Moore realizes the market out there isn't favorable?  Did you see how many offensive linemen (particularly guards) got drafted this year?  Especially by us?  I like Moore, but what teams are beating on the door to get our "best guard on the roster by far"?

Give me some names of WR's. 

You ask me a name and I give you a perfect name. But you say that guy sucks cause he hasn't been signed. Of course.  

But if Kevin Boss or Brent Celek get cut this preseason and the Jets miraculously sign them, we'll believe they are awesome. Because they got cut. 

How are the Jets gonna sign any quality players if they are scared to lose comp picks? The answer is they aren't. 

For WR any of em would start. Barden, Edwards, Cribbs. 

it's like shopping in the generic aisle at the supermarket. the fans want Coca Cola and Idzik puts America's Choice Cola in the cart. 

Why the long face? Because it sux. Oh yeah it's great for the bottom line. But this season is shaping up to be unwatchable. 

we have 3 pages of thread about a player who the Jets won't sign. The jets can only sign players no one wants, for the vet minimum. Um... okie. 

No, it's like a bunch of impetuous children screaming "I want! I want! I want!" and Idzik ignoring them and setting up their college fund, since they haven't had one the past few years as they were spoiled by getting every immediate bit of gratification they clamored for.

You ask me a name and I give you a perfect name. But you say that guy sucks cause he hasn't been signed. Of course.  

But if Kevin Boss or Brent Celek get cut this preseason and the Jets miraculously sign them, we'll believe they are awesome. Because they got cut. 

How are the Jets gonna sign any quality players if they are scared to lose comp picks? The answer is they aren't. 

I said I like Moore.  Where did I say he sucks?  Get out of here with that sh**.

So Ramses Barden is a "quality player" now?  LMAO.

There are no upper echelon players to be signed.  Of course they're going to sign another WR but are deciding on which one.

In the meantime let me throw a name at you who's due for a breakout year...

Clyde Gates.

You deserve every neg rep you get.  You want quality players that don't exist.  You want to complain just to complain.  And you used to be the biggest homer around.  Makes sense that now you swing the opposite direction.  The rest of us are realists.

You deserve every neg rep you get.  You want quality players that don't exist.  You want to complain just to complain.  And you used to be the biggest homer around.  Makes sense that now you swing the opposite direction.  The rest of us are realists.

Brandon Moore exists. The line is worse than last year. Throwing bodies at a problem is not the same as upgrading. 

Guys, if we don't get a # 4 WR and a TE soon we're not gonna be able to go 6-10.  Oh noes!

6-10? that sounds like 6 wins too many. Only if the Jets lose every game, can they really start the rebuilding process. 

Brandon Moore exists. The line is worse than last year. Throwing bodies at a problem is not the same as upgrading. 

I disagree.  We invested a 3rd round pick in a nasty guard.  Just because he wasn't a free agent doesn't mean we aren't trying to upgrade.  Moore is what, 33 years old now?

I disagree.  We invested a 3rd round pick in a nasty guard.  Just because he wasn't a free agent doesn't mean we aren't trying to upgrade.  Moore is what, 33 years old now?

Take Winters out of it for a second. There are two guard spots and there's no way Colon/Peterman/Vlad is better than Moore. 

6-10? that sounds like 6 wins too many. Only if the Jets lose every game, can they really start the rebuilding process. 

This bit is AWESOME..  good work today.

It's like TomShame, Gato, DBates, and JohnnyH were thrown into a blender.

0-16 = Clowney.  Or a QB.  I'm on board with that if it happened that way. 

and just think of the great player they can get in 2015 if they lose all the 2014 games.  

the problem with tanking seasons is that it's hard to pull an entire franchise out of a nose dive. 

This bit is AWESOME..  good work today.

It's like TomShame, Gato, DBates, and JohnnyH were thrown into a blender.

Ok, that was pretty damn funny, although I have a feeling some of these guys may take offense to such a statement if they see it.  At least most of them try to bring a little humor to their never-ending pessimism.

Bitonti, I respect you and your opinion a lot as I've visited your site numerous times and seen your posts on other Jets boards on which I've posted, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Slauson was not very good at all.  Regardless of which player out of Winter, Colon, Peterman or Ducasse start in his place, I doubt the level of play could get significantly worse, and potentially at least, it could be significantly better, which hopefully, will improve Brick's and Mangold's level of play back up to previous years levels.  Howard will have a year's experience at RT, so we should see improvement there.  I liked Moore, but his play last year was not up to his usual standard.  As to whether it was an aberration, or age and injuries have caught up with him, he wasn't the same player as in previous years.  I know his play improved as the year went on.  If he can still play, I'd love to see him back, but either he wants way too much money or there is a physical problem there that the Jets are very leery of.  If Colon is the starter at RG, there shouldn't be much, if any, drop off in the level of play at RG.  With a different and probably better OL coach, and definitely better OC, the OL should be improved if for no other reason that the offense should be better suited to the Jets' personnel, and both the play design and play calling should be better.  In addition, there will be more depth and flexibility on the OL than the Jets have had in years.

Finally, hopefully we have seen the end of Sanchez as the Jets' QB.  If that is truly the case, then having a smarter, more accurate QB behind center should help the OL as well.

Bitonti, I respect you and your opinion a lot as I've visited your site numerous times and seen your posts on other Jets boards on which I've posted, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Slauson was not very good at all.  Regardless of which player out of Winter, Colon, Peterman or Ducasse start in his place, I doubt the level of play could get significantly worse, and potentially at least, it could be significantly better, which hopefully, will improve Brick's and Mangold's level of play back up to previous years levels.  Howard will have a year's experience at RT, so we should see improvement there.  I liked Moore, but his play last year was not up to his usual standard.  As to whether it was an aberration, or age and injuries have caught up with him, he wasn't the same player as in previous years.  I know his play improved as the year went on.  If he can still play, I'd love to see him back, but either he wants way too much money or there is a physical problem there that the Jets are very leery of.  If Colon is the starter at RG, there shouldn't be much, if any, drop off in the level of play at RG.  With a different and probably better OL coach, and definitely better OC, the OL should be improved if for no other reason that the offense should be better suited to the Jets' personnel, and both the play design and play calling should be better.  In addition, there will be more depth and flexibility on the OL than the Jets have had in years.

Finally, hopefully we have seen the end of Sanchez as the Jets' QB.  If that is truly the case, then having a smarter, more accurate QB behind center should help the OL as well.

Part of the OL situation is people not realizing how good they were last year. PFF ranked them 3rd. I rank OL for a fantasy site and had them 5th. They were a very good OL, despite the lack of points. 

This year they are worse because they lost both starting guards and didn't upgrade. If they had drafted Chance Warmack fair enough. But instead they have Winters who never played guard and even though I am optimistic of his long term chances, it's asking alot for him to start right away.

The logic people use that Moore stinks cause he's still out there also applies to Winters going in rd 3. If he was truly ready to start week 1, wouldn't he go higher? 

the only reason Colon compares to Moore is cause people don't know about Colon. He's a penalty machine and when he's not getting flagged matthew mulligan style, he's hurt. Peterman is just awful, even worse than Vlad (and I know how bad Vlad is). 

In my rankings, the OL is at least 10 slots worse than last year. They went from being a top 5 line to a top 15 line.  

but this isn't an OL thread. This is a thread about a WR the Jets didn't make an offer. Cause he's got other offers. The Jets seem to want guys with no other offers, willing to play for the league minimum. I don't know how this is a winning strategy. 

McKnight is "just a kick returner" too.  Do you think he contributes much this year as the # 4 RB?  At least Cribbs brings the POSSIBILITY that he could contribute to the offense.  

We're already going to about max out the compensatory picks we can get for next season (especially if Moore signs elsewhere) so we really don't lose anything by bringing in Cribbs for that 1-year deal you speak of.

It also speaks volumes that several teams are interested in him right now.  No kick returner would get this kind of interest if he didn't have the ability to contribute in multiple ways.  Even the Pats (notorious for looking for guys who contribute in multiple ways) were interested before signing Leon Washington.

I guess my opinion lies somewhere between you two guys.  I always thought Cribbs was a heck of a talent. I also think that McKnight is much more talented than many of you give him credit for, and I think it's possible that Mornhinweg could get a lot more out of McKnight that those idiots Sparano and Schittenheimer.  

I wouldn't be in favor of signing Cribbs if it's just to be a KR/PR for one year, but wouldn't get upset either if they did.  I'd rather they let as many young players play as possible.  Let's see what we have in the kids and give them a chance to develop.  OTOH, if they think that Cribbs can be a productive player in the offense and McKnight won't, then I say sign him to a 2-year deal with an option on a 3rd.

He'll be a nifty little player this year. 

Take it to the bank.

I hope you're right.  He's got an awesome set of wheels and it would be great to see a speedy player inject some life into the Jets' offensive offense.

it's like shopping in the generic aisle at the supermarket. the fans want Coca Cola and Idzik puts America's Choice Cola in the cart. 

Why the long face? Because it sux. Oh yeah it's great for the bottom line. But this season is shaping up to be unwatchable. 

we have 3 pages of thread about a player who the Jets won't sign. The jets can only sign players no one wants, for the vet minimum. Um... okie. 

Bit,

I actually like the approach the Jets are taking this offseason.  Even if they can afford some players like Cribbs who might help the team win 2-3 more games, why do it?  They're not going anywhere this season.  It's a rebuilding year.  Why go all out and the only thing you accomplish is screwing up draft position for next season.  Sometimes, you just have to stand pat and play the hand you're dealt.  Signing players like Cribbs would probably only serve to create unrealistic expectations and ramp up pressure on the team.  If they go with the younger players, see who can play and who can't and let those who can, develop, then they're in much better shape heading into 2014 than they would be by bringing in a bunch of jags this season, winning a handful of more games, but not have any real idea about whether or not the young kids can play, and the ones who can won't have developed as much.

Archived