Jets to work out Josh Cribbs (per Schefter)

T0mShane

"Step back to take a step forward" isn't real. Let's all stop saying that. 

the line is two steps forward and one step back. 

You guys have the order backwards and the recipe off by half. 

no one takes a step back as move number one.  I expect the Jets to win in 2013. not 2019. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_steps_forward_one_step_back

YOU GUYS DONT EVEN KNOW YOUR IDIOMATIC EXPRESSIONS

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are you so convinced the Jets won't be a winning team this year? Because a couple bubbleheads on this site say so?

If it's any consolation I fully expect them to contend for a wildcard spot.

Your ******* face is a ******* bubblehead.

Why are you so convinced the Jets won't be a winning team this year? Because a couple bubbleheads on this site say so?

Based on what? Where have they improved enough to go from a 6 win team to a 10 win team? And which playoff teams from last year are going to fall off?

all this for a poor mans Devin Hester..

Clyde Gates had 7 less TD catches than Cribbs had receptions last year.

Or, to people who don't torture every sentence they write until it aggrandizes a Jet in some way: Clyde Gates had zero TD catches last year.

Based on what?

Weed-wacker fumes

Where have they improved enough to go from a 6 win team to a 10 win team?

The chances of a man butt-fumbling twice in consecutive years is practically nil.

And which playoff teams from last year are going to fall off?

All of them, obv

"Step back to take a step forward" isn't real. Let's all stop saying that.

the line is two steps forward and one step back.

You guys have the order backwards and the recipe off by half.

no one takes a step back as move number one. I expect the Jets to win in 2013. not 2019.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_steps_forward_one_step_back

You're not real.

Based on what? Where have they improved enough to go from a 6 win team to a 10 win team? And which playoff teams from last year are going to fall off?

Based on improving on both sides of the ball. 

- Defense is younger and faster. 

- We finally have an OC who has had a sustained period of success.

- RB position is light years ahead of last years

- WR position, as raw as it may be, is leaps and bounds better than last years train wreck

- There's simply no way we're going to see QB play as poor as last year.  Garrard could wear an eye patch and play better.

Based on improving on both sides of the ball.

- Defense is younger and faster.

- We finally have an OC who has had a sustained period of success.

- RB position is light years ahead of last years

- WR position, as raw as it may be, is leaps and bounds better than last years train wreck

- There's simply no way we're going to see QB play as poor as last year. Garrard could wear an eye patch and play better.

Younger and faster doesn't equate to better.

I don't disagree on the RBs.

The WRs are exactly the same, so how is it better? Leap of faith on Hill? Hoping Holmes isn't a malcontent?

I don't think Garrard survives camp, so we'll see on that.

And a lot of the playoffs teams actually improved too.

Younger and faster doesn't equate to better.

I don't disagree on the RBs.

The WRs are exactly the same, so how is it better? Leap of faith on Hill? Hoping Holmes isn't a malcontent?

I don't think Garrard survives camp, so we'll see on that.

And a lot of the playoffs teams actually improved too.

The WR's aren't exactly the same though..  Holmes is returning and Hill and Gates were hurt.  We also won't be have any Jason Hill or Mardy Gillyard sightings.

Holmes (even at 85%), a healthy Hill with a year under his belt, Kerley, Gates, and whoever they pick up is much better than Jason Hill, Mardy Gillyard, Chaz Schillens, and Kerly.

The WR's aren't exactly the same though..  Holmes is returning and Hill and Gates were hurt.  We also won't be have any Jason Hill or Mardy Gillyard sightings.

Holmes (even at 85%), a healthy Hill with a year under his belt, Kerley, Gates, and whoever they pick up is much better than Jason Hill, Mardy Gillyard, Chaz Schillens, and Kerly.

Plus they'll all look better catching passes from Garrard/Geno.

Why are you so convinced the Jets won't be a winning team this year?  Because a couple bubbleheads on this site say so? 

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Embrace the rebuild. 

I'm hopeful that this was a a result of poor play design and coaching. MM should be able to design a better offense and actually implement it better than Tony S. last season. He couldn't do ANY worse.

Exactly, we should be able to go up from here with the offense with MM because TS was the friggen pitts. I feel last year was kinda our "rock bottom"

I'm hopeful that this was a a result of poor play design and coaching. MM should be able to design a better offense and actually implement it better than Tony S. last season. He couldn't do ANY worse.

Exactly, we should be able to go up from here with the offense with MM because TS was the friggen pitts. I feel last year was kinda our "rock bottom"

Paul Hackett

Mike Heimerdinger

Brian Schottenheimer

Tony Sparano

What do they all have in common?  No, they're not all terrible coaches.  What they have in common is they were handed poor quarterbacks and asked to turn sh** into gold.  Can we stop blaming offensive coordinators?  Maybe if we get a good QB and the OC ruins him we can complain. 

The New York Jets have had exactly two years of adequate QB play in the last 15 years.  1998 and 2002.  That's it.  Once Testaverde tore his achilles and once Pennington broke his wing and the NFL figured out you can just bump his receivers and keep the game within a 15-20 yard box, we have never had quality behind center. 

If Geno is the goods, Morninghweg will be a genius.  If he sucks, Morninghweg will be just like his 4 predecessors and will get fired.  That's what it comes down to in this league.

Paul Hackett

Mike Heimerdinger

Brian Schottenheimer

Tony Sparano

What do they all have in common? No, they're not all terrible coaches. What they have in common is they were handed poor quarterbacks and asked to turn sh** into gold. Can we stop blaming offensive coordinators? Maybe if we get a good QB and the OC ruins him we can complain.

The New York Jets have had exactly two years of adequate QB play in the last 15 years. 1998 and 2002. That's it. Once Testaverde tore his achilles and once Pennington broke his wing and the NFL figured out you can just bump his receivers and keep the game within a 15-20 yard box, we have never had quality behind center.

If Geno is the goods, Morninghweg will be a genius. If he sucks, Morninghweg will be just like his 4 predecessors and will get fired. That's what it comes down to in this league.

11 games of brett favre. But yeah, exactly agree with the logic. Same can be said for buffalo and miami.

Paul Hackett

Mike Heimerdinger

Brian Schottenheimer

Tony Sparano

What do they all have in common?  No, they're not all terrible coaches.  What they have in common is they were handed poor quarterbacks and asked to turn sh** into gold.  Can we stop blaming offensive coordinators?  Maybe if we get a good QB and the OC ruins him we can complain. 

The New York Jets have had exactly two years of adequate QB play in the last 15 years.  1998 and 2002.  That's it.  Once Testaverde tore his achilles and once Pennington broke his wing and the NFL figured out you can just bump his receivers and keep the game within a 15-20 yard box, we have never had quality behind center. 

If Geno is the goods, Morninghweg will be a genius.  If he sucks, Morninghweg will be just like his 4 predecessors and will get fired.  That's what it comes down to in this league.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Favre wasn't adequate? ;)

I agree to an extent, but none of those guys have really had or found success elsewhere as coordinators if I am not mistaken. Hopefully MM is the goods and can make Geno a good QB and there will be some consistency in the O-Coordinator position.  I think consistency with receivers and coaches is important for a young QB.

11 games of brett favre. But yeah, exactly agree with the logic. Same can be said for buffalo and miami.

Yep forgot about that.  Testaverde, FWIW, is near the top of the NFL charts in nearly every QB category possible, and Favre is a HOFer.  Every other QB we've had has basically sucked. 

And for evidence, just look at what some of those QB's we had did before they arrived and/or after they left New York and those "terrible" offensive coordinators.  Brooks Bollinger?  Quincy Carter?  Kellen Clemens?  Pennington with Miami?  All did exactly zero. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Favre wasn't adequate? ;)

I agree to an extent, but none of those guys have really had or found success elsewhere as coordinators if I am not mistaken. Hopefully MM is the goods and can make Geno a good QB and there will be some consistency in the O-Coordinator position.  I think consistency with receivers and coaches is important for a young QB.

Sparano had some success in Dallas as an OC.  I think their offense was top 10 in 2006.  And Schottenheimer did pretty well with Favre, though of course he hasn't done much in STL with Sam Bradford being hurt and/or possibly being terrible.  Hackett was in the league a long time.  Heimerdinger may have sucked. 

But whatevs.  No team in the league talks about offensive coordinators more than Jets fans.  They can certainly have an impact, positive or negative, but I'd say 75 % of a team's offensive success comes down to the QB, and moreso than ever.  It was always funny listening to people like the Ape talking about "root trees".  It doesn't matter how open receivers are if the QB can't get it to them.  The best QB's fit the ball into tight spaces, creating openings that don't even seem to exist sometimes.  Aaron Rodgers doesn't give a sh** about your root trees.  As long as he's on the same page with his receivers most of the time, he'll get it to them.  And we all know Peyton Manning doesn't need an offensive coordinator.  He already is one.

I think Defensive Coordinators have FAR more of an impact on the game than OC's, for that matter. 

But whatevs.  No team in the league talks about offensive coordinators more than Jets fans.  They can certainly have an impact, positive or negative, but I'd say 75 % of a team's offensive success comes down to the QB, and moreso than ever.  

agree completely. Jets fans have been permanently scarred by Hackett. As it turned out firing Schotty wasn't addition by subtraction. Good luck trying to explain that last spring. People thought he was the devil. 

agree completely. Jets fans have been permanently scarred by Hackett. As it turned out firing Schotty wasn't addition by subtraction. Good luck trying to explain that last spring. People thought he was the devil. 

I got sucked into it as well, but at some point, you have to recognize the common denominator. Sure, poor play design, routes, and play-calling can have an impact.  But the # 1 factor is how well your QB plays.  And no coach can fix bad QB play.  He can merely hide it for a little while, which we actually did quite a good job of doing in '09 and '10.

Archived