Jets Interested in Karlos Dansby?

flgreen

Karlos Dansby, once the NFL's highest-paid linebacker, says Jets are interested in him

Karlos Dansby, a 31-year-old linebacker, says the Jets are interested in his services. (Tim Farrell/The Star-Ledger)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on May 09, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Karlos Dansby, once the NFL's highest-paid linebacker, says Jets are interested in him

Karlos Dansby, the one-time richest inside linebacker in league history, has yet to find a landing spot this offseason but has made the rounds.

One of the most recent visits was to Arizona, where he started his career. The Bills and Bengals have also brought him in. But the 31-year-old linebacker said there are still other teams clamoring for his services.

On a radio interview in Phoenix Wednesday, Dansby said the Jets, Texans and Falcons are interested in signing him, too.

While the Jets have just recently moved away from an aging inside linebacker, Dansby, 31, may fit in line with their competition-first mantra. Cost, like it has been for all the team's potential free agents this offseason, will absolutely be a factor, but having a talented veteran to back up David Harris and Demario Davis couldn't hurt.

Davis insists he's ready to take on a much larger role and move back inside. He's even looking for ways to become more of a leader.

Learning from Dansby and David Harris, though, wouldn't hurt.

Jay-Z's RocNation has made their pitch to Geno Smith, according to a report by Pro Football Talk. They are one of a few agencies that are vying for the services of the Jets' rookie quarterback.

Coming off a pretty damned good year and just two years older than Harris, I'd rather sign him to a multi-year deal at 1/5th what we're paying Harris and then cut Harris next year.  I mean, if we're gonna have to have a slower 30+ yo vet, might as well not have one with the worst LB contract in the NFL.

Karlos Dansby, a 31-year-old linebacker, says the Jets are interested in his services. (Tim Farrell/The Star-Ledger)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

on May 09, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Karlos Dansby, the one-time richest inside linebacker in league history, has yet to find a landing spot this offseason but has made the rounds.

One of the most recent visits was to Arizona, where he started his career. The Bills and Bengals have also brought him in. But the 31-year-old linebacker said there are still other teams clamoring for his services.

On a radio interview in Phoenix Wednesday, Dansby said the Jets, Texans and Falcons are interested in signing him, too.

While the Jets have just recently moved away from an aging inside linebacker, Dansby, 31, may fit in line with their competition-first mantra. Cost, like it has been for all the team's potential free agents this offseason, will absolutely be a factor, but having a talented veteran to back up David Harris and Demario Davis couldn't hurt.

Davis insists he's ready to take on a much larger role and move back inside. He's even looking for ways to become more of a leader.

Learning from Dansby and David Harris, though, wouldn't hurt.

Jay-Z's RocNation has made their pitch to Geno Smith, according to a report by Pro Football Talk. They are one of a few agencies that are vying for the services of the Jets' rookie quarterback.

Lost interest when he said "a 31 year old linebacker"  PASS!!!!

Coming off a pretty damned good year and just two years older than Harris, I'd rather sign him to a multi-year deal at 1/5th what we're paying Harris and then cut Harris next year.  I mean, if we're gonna have to have a slower 30+ yo vet, might as well not have one with the worst LB contract in the NFL.

I could definitely get on board with that.  I'm not a fan of Harris at all.  

He can be a nice stop gap for a season. Our LaDainian with a SLIGHTLY smaller mouth.

Tanny didn't understand how compensatory picks worked, just that he couldn't use them to trade up so they where worthless anyway. I don't think we're in a position to compete till next year anyway unlike when we signed Tomlinson. Plus Tomlinson had big time name value so we had to have him. Unless it's somebody who's a real upgrade and beyond just the next year I say we stick to minimum contracts

Tanny didn't understand how compensatory picks worked, just that he couldn't use them to trade up so they where worthless anyway. I don't think we're in a position to compete till next year anyway when we signed Tomlinson. Plus Tomlinson had big time name value so we had to have him. Unless it's somebody who's a real upgrade and beyond just the next year I say we stick to minimum contracts

LT was great for us in the beginning. If Dansby comes cheap (which he won't), then I am all for it. I don't think we will be all that bad this year. 

only if he signs for veterans minimum... and doesn't go back for seconds in the lunch line

So I've got to ask, do you have some sort of deal with Gato that since he retired using the constant repetition of the same old failed attempts at humor to make his points, that you would pick up the slack?

Sure, you don't like Idzik's strategy.  At this point you're essentially saying that not wanting to invest significant money in players with little to no long-term dividends to a rebuilding team is the worst strategy ever, and if the Jets don't spend every last penny of the "massive" $8 million in salary cap space that they have, all at this exact moment, they will forever be doomed to be the worst franchise in the history of professional sports.

So I've got to ask, do you have some sort of deal with Gato that since he retired using the constant repetition of the same old failed attempts at humor to make his points, that you would pick up the slack?

Sure, you don't like Idzik's strategy. At this point you're essentially saying that not wanting to invest significant money in players with little to no long-term dividends to a rebuilding team is the worst strategy ever, and if the Jets don't spend every last penny of the "massive" $8 million in salary cap space that they have, all at this exact moment, they will forever be doomed to be the worst franchise in the history of professional sports.

My schtick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yours as Constantly Angry Wrong Guy!

Pay Dansby. We need more guys like this. If the goal is to win, tank or whatever, this would still be a great pickup. Your 100% know what your getting from him and would be a great voice in this locker room. I would love Bart Scott but along with being banged up week to week he's a liability in coverage. No way we get him for the minimum if so then he would of sign a month or so ago. Not saying he's London Fletcher, but he sure doesn't seem to be slowing down with age as of yet.

1. He's not younger.

2. He's not faster.

3. He's not cheaper.

4. He's not injured.

I think we're going to pass on this one.

But he is a released player, making him a prime suspect to sign with the Jets.

Archived