Why would Rex choose Sanchez?

Jetsfan80

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Actually YOU seem to think that 35 is some magic age where formerly successful QBs can no longer play. I was pointing out a 35 year old QB who could probably still play. Nice strawman, though.

So given the state of the NY Jets right now, you'd rather see what 35 year old David Garrard MIGHT have left rather than what 20-something Geno Smith does have? Is that your position?

I think the way for Rex to keep his job is going with the best playing QB out of preseason...Rex knows this.

No reason Garrard cant win it outright, barring injury.

Hopefully, Garrards irritable bowel syndrome doesnt keep him off the field come game 1.

So given the state of the NY Jets right now, you'd rather see what 35 year old David Garrard MIGHT have left rather than what 20-something Geno Smith does have? Is that your position?

My position is that they should compete, and the best player should play.  I think Garrard will win the competition, based on his experience and skill set.  I think that Geno will benefit from holding a clipboard for at least the first part of the 2013 season.  I think that Geno is the man for 2014, and I believe he is going to be great.  I don't want to start him too soon.  Let's give him every chance to be great. 

I hope Sanchez is released June 1.  If not, I hope he is inactive all 16 weeks.

That is my position.

My position is that they should compete, and the best player should play. I think Garrard will win the competition, based on his experience and skill set. I think that Geno will benefit from holding a clipboard for at least the first part of the 2013 season. I think that Geno is the man for 2014, and I believe he is going to be great. I don't want to start him too soon. Let's give him every chance to be great.

I hope Sanchez is released June 1. If not, I hope he is inactive all 16 weeks.

That is my position.

SWEET!

I prefer missionary, myself. Lol

My position is that they should compete, and the best player should play. I think Garrard will win the competition, based on his experience and skill set. I think that Geno will benefit from holding a clipboard for at least the first part of the 2013 season. I think that Geno is the man for 2014, and I believe he is going to be great. I don't want to start him too soon. Let's give him every chance to be great.

I hope Sanchez is released June 1. If not, I hope he is inactive all 16 weeks.

That is my position.

So. What's the point of starting Garrard? To try and win four games instead of three and get worse draft position? What makes you think Garrard is even a shell of what he used to be?

The Jets based on this roster will not be competitive no matter who the QB is. Just not going to happen. And neither is Sanchez getting cut. That's laughable.

So. What's the point of starting Garrard? To try and win four games instead of three and get worse draft position? What makes you think Garrard is even a shell of what he used to be?

The Jets based on this roster will not be competitive no matter who the QB is. Just not going to happen. And neither is Sanchez getting cut. That's laughable.

Yes.  The point is to play the QB who gives us the best chance to win.  As the great Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game."  Week one, that QB will probably be Garrard.

And btw, I did not say Sanchez is going to get cut.  I said it is my hope that he is cut.  Reading is fundamental.

Yes. The point is to play the QB who gives us the best chance to win. As the great Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game." Week one, that QB will probably be Garrard.

And btw, I did not say Sanchez is going to get cut. I said it is my hope that he is cut. Reading is fundamental.

If anything is probable with Garrard is that he will be doubtful to be healthy come Week 1 and even so, Sanchez is still probably a better option. Have to wait and see what Garrard has left, if anything.

You expressed you opinion about cutting Sanchez and I expressed mine. I'm not sure where reading comprehension comes in to play at all, bud. You need to relax.

"Hey Rex, remember that wild night at the bars last year?  The girls, the beer, and you were my wingman?"

"I remember too.  All of it.  Very clearly.  ...And I think I'd like to start next year."

"While we're at it, I'd like you to get a tattoo of me on your arm."

"And I want to start the year after that too".

Nah.  Sanchez is pretty, but he's not smart enough to pull it off.

Sanchez will most likely be the starting QB opening day, simply because he's the most familiar with the system, new OC and all.  And they'll want to take some time with Geno.

However, unlike last year, I think he'll be on a very short leash.  Sanchez will have to play near perfect, in this environment, to keep his job.

I would not be shocked to see Geno win the job by week 8.  Garrard is backup depth, imo. 

What's the point of starting Garrard?  How about that we already know that Sanchez sucks and is not the future.  As long as he starts, the Jets' offense will suck and the Jets will continue to be a circus.   How about giving the Jets the best chance to win and build their pride for the future?  According to all reports, he had the starting job won in Miami last preseason until he got injured.  He could have lost it all in one year, but that's unlikely.

It's also unlikely that Sanchez will be cut, but not impossible. If Sanchez finishes third in the QB competition (as he probably will if it's an honest competition), then why keep him?  We don't know what kind of agreement that Idzik and Woody have.  Idzik may have obtained Woody's word that he will have final say so on the team's roster and handling of the team going forward.  If so, and Idzik doesn't think it's in the best interest of the team to keep Sanchez, he probably would cut him.  In all truth, neither you, me, nor anyone knows what can and will happen. 

What's the point of starting Garrard?  How about that we already know that Sanchez sucks and is not the future.  As long as he starts, the Jets' offense will suck and the Jets will continue to be a circus.   How about giving the Jets the best chance to win and build their pride for the future?  According to all reports, he had the starting job won in Miami last preseason until he got injured.  He could have lost it all in one year, but that's unlikely.

It's also unlikely that Sanchez will be cut, but not impossible. If Sanchez finishes third in the QB competition (as he probably will if it's an honest competition), then why keep him?  We don't know what kind of agreement that Idzik and Woody have.  Idzik may have obtained Woody's word that he will have final say so on the team's roster and handling of the team going forward.  If so, and Idzik doesn't think it's in the best interest of the team to keep Sanchez, he probably would cut him.  In all truth, neither you, me, nor anyone knows what can and will happen. 

Since when is beating out Matt Moore and a rookie Ryan Tannehill some sort of major accomplishment?  That doesn't necessarily make him a good QB right now, nor does it make him the automatic starter here. Oh, and it didn't happen because he got injured. Again. Like he most likely will here because he is 35 and closer to retirement than he is a starting QB role.

If anything is probable with Garrard is that he will be doubtful to be healthy come Week 1 and even so, Sanchez is still probably a better option. Have to wait and see what Garrard has left, if anything.

You expressed you opinion about cutting Sanchez and I expressed mine. I'm not sure where reading comprehension comes in to play at all, bud. You need to relax.

I am very relaxed, bud.  Again, I did not express an opinion on what I thought would happen to Sanchez.  I expressed a hope, a desire for him to be released or inactive for the season.

You, upon reading my hope, stated that the opinion that Sanchez would be cut was  "laughable", even though I never expressed that he would be cut as my opinion.  I, therefore, concluded that your powers of reading comprehension were a bit lacking, since nothing that I wrote would lead to the conclusion you formed.

Interestingly, you then call for me to relax.  You are the one calling out another poster's position as "laughable", after misinterpreting said position.

Since when is beating out Matt Moore and a rookie Ryan Tannehill some sort of major accomplishment?  That doesn't necessarily make him a good QB right now, nor does it make him the automatic starter here. Oh, and it didn't happen because he got injured. Again. Like he most likely will here because he is 35 and closer to retirement than he is a starting QB role.

Since when is beating out Mark Sanchez, the 36th ranked QB in a league with only 32 teams, and a rookie some sort of accomplishment?  He may not be great. But he is the best option on the roster today.

Sanchez will most likely be the starting QB opening day, simply because he's the most familiar with the system, new OC and all.  And they'll want to take some time with Geno.

However, unlike last year, I think he'll be on a very short leash.  Sanchez will have to play near perfect, in this environment, to keep his job.

I would not be shocked to see Geno win the job by week 8.  Garrard is backup depth, imo. 

It's a new system.  Everyone is starting from scratch.  I agree, at least I hope, that they want to take some time with Geno, but I think that Garrard will win the starting job.  With Mark and David starting from the same place, there is no way that Mark wins this.  The WCO is predicated on short accurate passes and quick decisions, 2 of Marks glaring weaknesses.  He cannot even throw a screen pass and hit a wide open running back in stride.  Defensive end, yes.  Running back, no.

Since when is beating out Mark Sanchez, the 36th ranked QB in a league with only 32 teams, and a rookie some sort of accomplishment? He may not be great. But he is the best option on the roster today.

You don't know that. You have no idea how Garrard looks or throws or moves right now. You are making a huge assumption based on what you saw on Hard Knocks which was well over a year ago. That's absurd.

My position is that they should compete, and the best player should play.  I think Garrard will win the competition, based on his experience and skill set.  I think that Geno will benefit from holding a clipboard for at least the first part of the 2013 season.  I think that Geno is the man for 2014, and I believe he is going to be great.  I don't want to start him too soon.  Let's give him every chance to be great. 

I hope Sanchez is released June 1.  If not, I hope he is inactive all 16 weeks.

That is my position.

I like this post.  The funny thing with Rex Ryan defense we don;t need the QB to be great right away to  compete.  We need him to not turn the ball over at a record pace and get first downs.  I do think letting Geno sit for part of the year and let him play late to see what he can do is a great idea.  If he is good we draft weapons for him next year, if he sucks we draft his replacement.  WIN/WIN

I know that ....Thats why the SOB can give birth to QB's Then sh*t all over them by not getting any real Skill players on offense :tongue:

Once Sanchez is off the team and Geno takes the helm you and I unite like some NY Jet wonder twins and sh*t.  We need rings!!!!

You don't know that. You have no idea how Garrard looks or throws or moves right now. You are making a huge assumption based on what you saw on Hard Knocks which was well over a year ago. That's absurd.

Are you one of those young pups who thinks that 35 is REALLY OLD?  If he could move and throw at 34, there is no reason to think he cannot do the same at 35.  He is healthy now.  If he wasn't the Jets would not have signed him.  Could he get hurt again? Sure, but so could anyone on the roster.  You do not make personnel decision based on predicted future injuries of currently healthy players.  You do it on skill and ability.  Garrard has it all over the worst starting QB of 2012.

To get an idea of how bad Mark was last year, QBR (Quarterback Rating) has a component called QB PAR. It is defined as:

QB PAR: Number of points contributed by a quarterback over the season, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of a quarterback who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL.

Mark's QB PAR was -3.8, the only qb rated with a negative rating.  This means that Mark contributed less points over a season that a quarterback who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL.

If Garrard is only equal to a qb "who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL" he still beats out Sanchez.

Ponder this for a minute.  Garrard wins this competition going away.

I like this post.  The funny thing with Rex Ryan defense we don;t need the QB to be great right away to  compete.  We need him to not turn the ball over at a record pace and get first downs.  I do think letting Geno sit for part of the year and let him play late to see what he can do is a great idea.  If he is good we draft weapons for him next year, if he sucks we draft his replacement.  WIN/WIN

This guy gets it.

This guy gets it.

You have to think whoever starts before Geno is simply a place holder.  Let Geno go to camp take some snaps, let him get slapped around to feel the speed of the game in the pres-season  and play him at some point in the season depending on how the place holder does.  Truth is Garrard makes the most sense because his body will probably break down at about the same time Geno will be ready.  Then judge Geno on his play and draft accordingly.   It also give the shaky line to shake less before the rookie go's in.  SCIENCE

Are you one of those young pups who thinks that 35 is REALLY OLD?  If he could move and throw at 34, there is no reason to think he cannot do the same at 35.  He is healthy now.  If he wasn't the Jets would not have signed him.  Could he get hurt again? Sure, but so could anyone on the roster.  You do not make personnel decision based on predicted future injuries of currently healthy players.  You do it on skill and ability.  Garrard has it all over the worst starting QB of 2012.

To get an idea of how bad Mark was last year, QBR (Quarterback Rating) has a component called QB PAR. It is defined as:

QB PAR: Number of points contributed by a quarterback over the season, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of a quarterback who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL.

Mark's QB PAR was -3.8, the only qb rated with a negative rating.  This means that Mark contributed less points over a season that a quarterback who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL.

If Garrard is only equal to a qb "who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL" he still beats out Sanchez.

Ponder this for a minute.  Garrard wins this competition going away.

Cool story. Now let's deal in reality. Reality is Garrard probably did move well in 2012 at 34 in Dolphins training camp.  Now he is a year older, another year removed from actually throwing a pass in an NFL game and coming off of a knee surgery. A year after having a back surgery. Reality is the Jets saw him work out in shorts and a tee shirt.  No pressure, no contact. Just throwing and catching.

Reality is 2013 is more or less a lost year. This team will no compete for the playoffs.  You can spout all of the Sanchez numbers you want, but the reality is he is the best option for the Jets next season because there is no sense in winning one or two extra games. None. Let Geno sit and learn, let Sanchez bumble away games and let's get this team ready for 2014.  Garrard is welcome to stay as the #2, if his head doesn't fall off or suffer some other malady, but at this point he is just training camp fodder.

Think about it, if they wanted to bring in actual competition for Sanchez (Geno excluded), there were better options than a 35 year old coming off of two surgeries that hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in YEARS.

Cool story. Now let's deal in reality. Reality is Garrard probably did move well in 2012 at 34 in Dolphins training camp.  Now he is a year older, another year removed from actually throwing a pass in an NFL game and coming off of a knee surgery. A year after having a back surgery. Reality is the Jets saw him work out in shorts and a tee shirt.  No pressure, no contact. Just throwing and catching.

Reality is 2013 is more or less a lost year. This team will no compete for the playoffs.  You can spout all of the Sanchez numbers you want, but the reality is he is the best option for the Jets next season because there is no sense in winning one or two extra games. None. Let Geno sit and learn, let Sanchez bumble away games and let's get this team ready for 2014.  Garrard is welcome to stay as the #2, if his head doesn't fall off or suffer some other malady, but at this point he is just training camp fodder.

Think about it, if they wanted to bring in actual competition for Sanchez (Geno excluded), there were better options than a 35 year old coming off of two surgeries that hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in YEARS.

Cool story, BRO.  You forgot the Bro.

Look, you think 12 months after Garrard won the starting job in Miami, he has forgotten how to play qb, because he turned 35.  I think that Sanchez is the worst starting qb I have ever seen on the Jets, and have no desire to watch him run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the backfield again this year.

We we have different opinions.  So be it.

Cool story, BRO.  You forgot the Bro.

Look, you think 12 months after Garrard won the starting job in Miami, he has forgotten how to play qb, because he turned 35.  I think that Sanchez is the worst starting qb I have ever seen on the Jets, and have no desire to watch him run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the backfield again this year.

We we have different opinions.  So be it.

I don't think he forgot how to play QB, but I do believe his ability to play QB in the last 12 months will be hampered by his knee surgery.  When was the last time Garrard saw live action? Even preseason?

Sanchez is not the worst QB I have ever seen on the Jets.  Neil O'Donnell was worse.  Glenn Foley was worse.  Rick Mirer was worse.  Brooks Bollinger was worse.  Sanchez is bad, but the Jets have had it much, much worse.

I don't think he forgot how to play QB, but I do believe his ability to play QB in the last 12 months will be hampered by his knee surgery.  When was the last time Garrard saw live action? Even preseason?

Sanchez is not the worst QB I have ever seen on the Jets.  Neil O'Donnell was worse.  Glenn Foley was worse.  Rick Mirer was worse.  Brooks Bollinger was worse.  Sanchez is bad, but the Jets have had it much, much worse.

The Jets doctors checked out Garrard's knee.  If it was a problem they would not have signed him.

And Sanchez is worse then those you mentioned.  I have seen them all, but none of them ran into their offensive lineman's ass then fumbled, and then lay there face down, giving up while the opposing team ran the ball back for a touchdown.  None of them gave the ball to the other team 52 times in 2 years.  None of them threw an interception to a defensive lineman, not once, but twice in the same game!  No, Mark Sanchez is the worst Jet QB in the sad history of Jets QBs.

The Jets doctors checked out Garrard's knee.  If it was a problem they would not have signed him.

And Sanchez is worse then those you mentioned.  I have seen them all, but none of them ran into their offensive lineman's ass then fumbled, and then lay there face down, giving up while the opposing team ran the ball back for a touchdown.  None of them gave the ball to the other team 52 times in 2 years.  None of them threw an interception to a defensive lineman, not once, but twice in the same game!  No, Mark Sanchez is the worst Jet QB in the sad history of Jets QBs.

Did the Jets check Garrard's knee in full pads against rushing defensive players? I doubt it.

No, he's statistically not. All of them had worse QB Ratings than Sanchez. So, yeah.  You're wrong.

Archived