The Rookies are in the House

flgreen

Rookies Arrive, Minicamp Kicks Off
Posted by Randy Lange on  May 10, 2013 – 10:49 am 

The next chapter of the Jets’ 2013 offseason is being written beginning this week. The Green & White rookie class arrived at the Atlantic Health Training Center on Thursday, and today’s first practice of the camp is under way on the grass fields in Florham Park, N.J.

The arrivals couldn’t begin until noon Thursday, and by early evening everyone was checked in, had gone through the indoctrination process as a new Jet, and rested up in their hotel rooms for this morning’s breakfast, their first team meeting with head coach Rex Ryan and staff, and their first practice set to start around 10 a.m.

The stations each player stopped at included a visit to the doctor for a physical, equipment manager Gus Granneman’s equipment room to be fitted for a helmet and receive his initial jersey and new number, a stop with head strength and conditioning coach Justus Galac’s weightroom, a chat with director of player development Dave Szott, a stay with the media relations team, and a quick couple of headshots with the always ebullient team photographer, Al Pereira.

Among the earliest to run this pro pigskin gauntlet was second-round quarterback Geno Smith. He came through the double glass doors of the players’ entrance at 12:01 p.m. and began his check-in process. On his way to the locker room, Smith was greeted by a couple of veteran Jets WRs:

Santonio Holmes, recently returned from his degree work at Ohio State, and Stephen Hill, last year’s second-rounder. Holmes, Hill and the rest of the Jets’ established pass catchers will begin to catch Geno’s passes at the June, when Smith joins the rest of the team’s quarterbacks at the full-squad minicamp.

The other five draft choices arrived in short order. In rough order of appearance they were seventh-round FB Tommy Bohanon and fifth-round OL Oday Aboushi came in the next wave, followed by first-round CB Dee Milliner, sixth-round OL Will Campbell, third-round G Brian Winters and first-round DL Sheldon Richardson.

The 15-member band of undrafted free agents, plus some minicamp invitees, were also among the new Jets on hand. Among those registering in the early afternoon were TEs Mike Shanahan of Pitt and Chris Pantale of Boston College, wideouts Zach Rogers of Tennessee and KJ Stroud from Bethune-Cookman and C Dalton Freeman from Clemson.

Shanahan, who confirms for any who doubted it that he’s not related to Washington head coach Mike Shanahan, was stopped between stations for a hallway chat with senior personnel executive Terry Bradway and pro scout Aaron Glenn.

This is not an all-inclusive list. We’ll have a report on all the rookies and first-year players who are at the camp plus new uniform numbers when everything becomes official on Friday.

Speaking of new unis, the drafted Jets are reported to have received their initial numbers. These could still change but at the moment Granneman and his staff have distributed the following numbers to the draftees:

27 — Dee Milliner

91 — Sheldon Richardson

7 — Geno Smith

67 — Brian Winters

75 — Oday Aboushi

65 — Will Campbell

40 — Tommy Bohanon

The minicamp is closed to the public. A more complete list of the participants in this camp, which includes all the Jets draft choices, 2013 undrafted free agents, 2012 first-year free agents signed prior to the draft, and tryout candidates, will be available later today. The minicamp will continue through Sunday, with media availability on Friday and Saturday, including open locker room and Rex Ryan news conferences both days.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting kind of excited reading these camp tweets (I'm disgusted I just wrote that sentence, btw). Milliner, Geno, and Richardson all sound like tough dudes who just want to play football and win games, which confirms what much of the pre-draft reporting on them talked about.

I don't want Sanchez to start, but I do think he'll be the starter. I can't see it playing out any other way unless Geno absolutely kills it in practice. This way they can do the whole rejuvenate the fanbase by benching the QB mid-season routine.

Geno Smith brushed off the wave of criticism heaped on him in recent weeks after his first practice at Jets rookie minicamp on Friday.

“I don’t resent any of it,” Smith said. “I don’t pay attention to any of it.”

“I think it’s been a more eventful few weeks for the media,” he later added. “I’ve just been my natural old self. Nothing’s changed. I’m not feeling any way toward any of it. I couldn’t care less about it. My only job is to focus on what I have here and to get better.”

Some of the criticism in recent reports has centered on Smith’s leadership skills, but the rookie quarterback didn’t appear fazed by it.

“I’ll just be myself,” Smith said. “I don’t think it’s hard to do that. I don’t even put that in my mind. I just come out and be my natural self. I think I’ve always been just a natural leader. That’s something that my teammates of the past can attest to. Now, it’s about getting to know these guys and allowing them to understand me and let me lead them in a way.”

His work ethic was questioned before the drafted in a report from Pro Football Weekly, but Smith has been trying to learn Marty Mornhinweg’s system from the day he received the playbook the night he was drafted.

“I’ve been studying my butt off,” Smith said. “I’ve been in the playbook learning formations and learning protections.”

Smith spent Thursday night reviewing “actions in the huddle and cadences” with offensive linemen at a nearby hotel. He also said that he's started watching film of quarterbacks that have run the West Coast Offense like Joe Montana, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia.

Smith completed 6 of 10 passes (and was “sacked” once) during 11-on-11 team drills. He went  11 of 15 in 7-on-7 drills, taking 20 of 25 snaps under center. Smith, who played just about every snap out of the shotgun at West Virginia, said it’ll be a “transition” to sharpen his footwork.

So, how would he grade his first practice as a pro?

“I’m going to be tough on myself,” Smith said. “So I don’t even want to do it. I’ll let the coaches do the grading. If I’d say, it’s an F. Because I want to be A+… Hey, that’s just the way I do things.”

Smith said that the recent criticism didn’t really affect his family and close friends too much, either.

“They know me,” Smith said. “Anyone who’s ever come into contact with me knows exactly who I am and what I’m all about. So they don’t let it get to them because they know the real me. I think that anyone who’s ever talked to any of my coaches of the past or players that I’ve played with have all had good remarks on me.”

Smith interviewed a prospectice agents this week, but he said that he hasn't made a final decision on who he'll hire yet. Jay-Z's Roc Nation is believed to be one of the groups that he's interviewed.

"I’m not even focused on that right now," he said. "That’s not even one of my prortioties. My main job is to come out here and compete and get better."

Smith said he looks forward to competing with Mark Sanchez this summer.
“I know Mark is a competitor,” Smith said. “I understand that he wants to win the job. We all do. At the same, I’m going to learn from him. I’m going to learn from David and Greg… and just try to pick things up as I go.”

^^

someone should tell him he doesn't need to overstate how unaffected he is..  makes it sound like he's affected.

Or that the media doesn't need to ask him every 5 seconds how much it affects him.  "Are you affected by it?  How about now?  Now?  Are you now?? WHAT ABOUT NOW?!?!?"

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr8s

Rex said he's been disappointed in Quinton Coples, especially in the weight room. #nyj

hmmmm. Weird.

Indeed.  We need Coples to be effective in whatever role Rex has in mind.  Otherwise we won't be able to maximize the use of Richardson.

Rex has treated Coples weird since he got here. From pulling him out of camp walkthroughs to burying him on the bench at times last season, you really have to wonder if Rex is just playing games with the dude, or if Coples is really that much of a headcase behind the scenes.

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr8s

Rex said he's been disappointed in Quinton Coples, especially in the weight room. #nyj

hmmmm. Weird.

That was Coples problem last year, and the reason he got so few snaps the first half of the season.  he wason't in shape when he came in.  Kid better get with it

Rex has treated Coples weird since he got here. From pulling him out of camp walkthroughs to burying him on the bench at times last season, you really have to wonder if Rex is just playing games with the dude, or if Coples is really that much of a headcase behind the scenes.

Coples strikes me as a talented dude who needs to be properly motivated, unlike a guy like Wilkerson who has been quietly superb from Day 1.  My guess is the minute Coples was drafted Rex made it a point to make him his pet project.  Rex is a DL guy after all. 

It kind of goes back to his Senior year at UNC.  After Butch Davis got fired, he kind of mailed it in.  Granted, most of the team did that, but when you're talking about sacrificing millions of dollars by falling in the draft, its a bit of a different story.  Hopefully Rex is able to figure out what makes him tick and maximize his abilities. 

rex is weird and i'm getting tired of his shtty games

Coples strikes me as a talented dude who needs to be properly motivated, unlike a guy like Wilkerson who has been quietly superb from Day 1. My guess is the minute Coples was drafted Rex made it a point to make him his pet project. Rex is a DL guy after all.

If Coples isn't going to put the work in, it makes transitioning him to OLB that much more dubious.

rex is weird and i'm getting tired of his shtty games

Yeah, I'm so tired of having a top pass defense year in and year out.  Whatever "games" he plays on the defensive side of the ball, it works.  So I'll defer to him, particularly when it comes to DL guys.

Yeah, I'm so tired of having a top pass defense year in and year out.  Whatever "games" he plays on the defensive side of the ball, it works.  So I'll defer to him, particularly when it comes to DL guys.

meanwhile....we haven't had real pressure on the QB since 2009. 

Which DL guys?

Rob Burnett (2nd team all pro under Ryan), Sam Adams ( 2x pro bowler under Rex), Pete Boulware who was moved to LBer (3/4 pro bowls where under Rex), got Siragusa back on the the 1st team all-pro list after a 6 season absence. Was high on the Kelly Gregg pick, who was a solid player for a decade. Jarret Johnson turned out to be pretty good.

MINICAMP: It’s About Weathering the Storm

Posted 39 minutes ago

Transcripts of news conferences and interviews with the Jets' top three draft choices in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room following Friday's midday rookie minicamp practice:

QB GENO SMITH

On the first day of rookie minicamp…

It was great. I got a chance to go out there and compete with my teammates. Everyone out there, our heads are spinning. Install-1 was tough, but overall, I think we did a pretty good job.

On his experience the last two weeks…

It’s been good. Obviously, there has been a lot of talking to media, but for me it’s just being my normal self, just handling business the way I always have.

On if he pays attention to talk in the media…

No, I never have and probably never will. I understand it comes with the territory. I just focus on what really matters to me and that’s just being a good teammate, focusing on my football and getting better daily.

On what he thinks his rookie experience will be like…

I think it will be a great one. I’m going to be here and I’m going to try to make the best of it. I have a job to do as of right now and that’s to come in and compete. Right now there’s a long way to go in that process. This is only step one, day one, but it was fun to get out here on the practice field, enjoy my teammates and coaches, learn from Coach [David] Lee, learn from Coach [Marty] Mornhinweg, and then just be a Jet.

On if he is disappointed in criticism he has taken…

I don’t think anyone who’s worked with me or has known me in the past has had anything negative to say. I think from what I’ve seen, my coaches and teammates have all said great things about me. But I’m not focused on that. I’m focused on what I have here with the Jets, proving myself to my teammates and coaches and just focusing on bettering myself daily. You try to master this offense and it’s just you’re one of the guys.

On if he was under center today more than he ever has been before…

Probably yes, probably more than recently, but it felt like a natural change. Obviously, there are some things that I need to clean up and I’m going to work hard with Coach Lee and Coach Mornhinweg. It didn’t feel too odd to me, so I think I did a pretty good job.

On if he has talked to David Garrard or Mark Sanchez…

I talked to David, spoke with Mark, spoke with Greg [McElroy], all the guys. We’re a team here. In that quarterback room, we’re a close-knit bunch. We’re going to be competing with one another, but I’m a rookie in this thing, so I’m going to be learning from every single one of them.

On learning the West Coast offense…

As we all know, the West Coast system is one of the toughest ones to learn, but I don’t think it was too foreign to me. First of all, I studied my butt off just to be prepared for today, and there’s more work that goes into being ready for tomorrow. Overall, it’s going to be a transition and that’s expected, but I’m going to work at it and try my best to put my best foot forward.

On how his skillset matches up with the offense…

I think it’s going to be a transition. Obviously, it’s a different system than I had been in, but like I said, it’s just about the work that I put in and making sure that I’m in that playbook day and night, studying film, watching guys from the past and the present who have played in a similar system and trying to figure out ways to implement my game into it.

On if the goal for him is to start in Week 1…

That’s so far ahead for me right now. I’m working on what I have here right now. My goal is to prove myself to my teammates and my coaches here, to get in that playbook, learn it in and out and be able to spit it back out, and go out there on the field and execute.

On who he can watch film of in a West Coast system…

Joe Montana — it’s a Bill Walsh system, we all know about that — Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb played in that system, Brett Favre, all those guys. I’ve already started studying film on them. It’s all about repetition and being comfortable in the system.

On who he is similar to in the group of quarterbacks he listed…

I think they’re all different and I think I’m different. I think it’s more of the system, you just have to be able to play within the system. All those guys did a great job of using their own personal characteristics to make it better. My job is to, first of all, learn it, understand it, and then kind of implement my game into it.

On how much of the playbook has down…

I have Install-1 down and I don’t even know if I have that down 100 percent yet, so I have to continue to just study it. Install-1 is here and gone and now I have to work on Install-2.

On talking to Coach Mornhinweg and Coach Lee…

I talk to Coach Lee, I talk to Coach Mornhinweg. We all have a good system of communication here. The main thing is I just ask them questions about the system, about what I should be expecting in the offense and just ways to better myself. They do a great job of communicating with me, being honest with me and letting me know things that I need to do to improve.

On if he resents the media attention he has received…

I don’t resent any of it. I don’t pay attention to any of it. I just focus on what I can control and that’s being a Jet quarterback, being a great teammate, and just getting better as a quarterback daily.

On where criticism of him has come from…

I’m guessing you guys will know better [about] that. I can’t really say anything. Like I said, I don’t read into it, I don’t pay attention to it, I kind of get these questions a lot and I don’t know. I don’t focus on that. It’s not really my job. So I handle what I can handle here.

On if the last few weeks have been eventful with all the media coverage of him..

I think it’s been a more eventful few weeks for the media. I’ve just been being my natural old self. Nothing’s changed. I’m not feeling any way towards any of it. I could care less about it. My only job is to focus on what I have here and to get better.

On if he has talked to Garrard…

Yes, I talked to David through text messages and he spoke to me about just how he looks forward to competing with me, teaching me and mentoring me. I told him I’m all ears, I’m an open sponge here, I’m just here to learn and I’m learning from everyone. It’s kind of like learning on the job. I’m a rookie and there’s going to be ups and downs, but it’s about weathering the storm.

CB DEE MILLINER

On if he thinks he will be on the field for training camp…

Yes, I will.

On what is specifically keeping him off the practice field…

With the shoulder it is a long process, you can’t just get out there and jump right back in it because you really can’t swing your arm or anything like that. Like I said, rehabbing and waiting to get back in the roll of things and I should be fine.

On how his shoulder feels…

It feels great. It feels good. I can move it around. I have great range of motion.

On if he feels like he can play right now…

It's not all the way, 100 percent, healed. It's a couple of months' process before you get back to normal. I just know to listen to what the trainers tell me, go out there and do what they tell me to do. Until they clear me to get out there, I'm going to be over there doing rehab.

On if there is any culture shock coming from Alabama to New York…

No. It's a great environment up here, it's a great city, a great place to play football and be a part of. Also, it is great for media — you know you all will be around all the time [laughter]. It is just good to be around football up here and to be around all the great players.

DT SHELDON RICHARDSON

On the first day of practice being faster than college…

Way faster. Not as much banging, but it's way faster, less reps, when you get in, make sure your reps are perfect. Got to get your technique down.

On his thoughts on Coach Ryan…

Straightforward and to the point. Short and sweet. That’s how you like it as a football player, especially as a D-lineman. You don’t want anybody beating around the bush and telling you a bunch of theories and all that. It’s simple. It's football.

On Coach Dunbar…

He’s a "tech-titioner." He loves his technique. He’s firm with it. You don’t get a chance to get your rep back if you mess up. He’ll talk to you.

On his size…

I was always the chubby kid in class that everybody picked on, I was, and I played with a chip on my shoulder. I still feel like I’m the same kid. I like to do what skinny guys do. Dunk a basketball? I want to jump as high as him and dunk a basketball. I happen to be able to dunk a basketball because of it. I have fun. I’m a kid out there.

On his versatility being a strength…

Always, never a weakness. All you have to do is adjust and know what you're doing

When you're a top 5 pass defense year in and year out, does it really matter?  He's clearly doing something right.

How many games have the Jets won the last 2 years?  How many Division Titles, Conference Championships and Lombardi 

Trophies????  He's paid to be the HC and get wins, not be a glorified DC who racks up statistics, but his team can't win when the chips are down.

I think Rex is probably THE most overrated coach in the NFL.

How many games have the Jets won the last 2 years? How many Division Titles, Conference Championships and Lombardi

Trophies???? He's paid to be the HC and get wins, not be a glorified DC who racks up statistics, but his team can't win when the chips are down.

I think Rex is probably THE most overrated coach in the NFL.

Same exact thing was said about Cowher... for 15 years.

Same exact thing was said about Cowher... for 15 years.

I don't understand your point.  Are you saying that you don't think Cowher was overrated or you think he was?

I have mixed feelings about Cowher.  It would have been hard for him not to do well with the excellent GM, scouting and personnel depts. he had providing talent for him.  OTOH, it took them a long time to find a QB and possibly Cowher had no choice but to stick with Kordell Stewart.  Still, aside from Stewart, Cowher was pretty solid.  Nothing about Schittenheimer is solid.  If you're trying to say the two are equal, I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Archived