Coples as an OLB? Is Rex desparate or clueless here?

Barton

Did Rex scout this guys college tape? He's at his best going against GUARDS & CENTERS as a defensive tackle. Proven fact.

He is NOT an edge rusher. He fell in the draft because of his drop in production from his junior year at defensive tackle to his senior year at defensive end.

Coples does not have enough quickness/lateral agility to be a consistent all-around 4-3 DE, let alone a 3-4 OLB who needs to drop into coverage. 

Could be a horrrrrible move right here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they're young players, you hate to see these guys jerked around, especially if they're being asked to screw with their weights. Shaun Ellis was a double-digit sack guy before Herm started moving him around and asking him to gain weight. Just let Coples line up at DE and Richardson at 3-tech and let them learn. I don't see how asking Coples, at 280 lbs, to stand up and try to beat left tackles around the corner helps him. Similarly, I don't see how asking Richardson to learn the nose helps him. Just let these guys do what they do.

Because they're young players, you hate to see these guys jerked around, especially if they're being asked to screw with their weights. Shaun Ellis was a double-digit sack guy before Herm started moving him around and asking him to gain weight. Just let Coples line up at DE and Richardson at 3-tech and let them learn. I don't see how asking Coples, at 280 lbs, to stand up and try to beat left tackles around the corner helps him. Similarly, I don't see how asking Richardson to learn the nose helps him. Just let these guys do what they do.

They're asking Richardson to play a 5T DE not NT, per article

They're asking Richardson to play a 5T DE not NT, per article

Part of the time. I read that he lined up at NT some today. Seems wasteful. If you have a talented young player, let him line up and go. Why screw around? The Giants didn't screw around with Strahan, Tuck, or JPP, and those dudes were/are dominant.

Part of the time. I read that he lined up at NT some today. Seems wasteful. If you have a talented young player, let him line up and go. Why screw around? The Giants didn't screw around with Strahan, Tuck, or JPP, and those dudes were/are dominant.

I like to remain optimistic around this time of year but I can't help but share the same weariness.

But it's not even preseason yet. They're just testing him everywhere for now, which is fine IMO. If he's there W1 getting Drob'esque destroyed my head might explode though.

Just saying NT or 5-tech doesn't really do it justice as we have zero idea how he was being utilized in that role.  It's quite possible, as Rex has done it a number of times throughout the years, that he's aligning in a 30 front, but playing a more wade phillips' style one-gap defense.  He could have Richardson playing nose, but have him stunting or having him shoot the gap, as opposed to playing two-gap and just occupy blockers. 

There's another thing that people should look out for and that's Coples lining up wide like an OLB, but with his hand in the dirt, something they did a lot with Suggs.  Additionally, Coples played something like 30 snaps standing up to close out the year last year and recorded a couple QB hurries and a hit I believe.  So he clearly has the ability, but I think people and the media are getting too hung up on labels as they want everyone to fit into one category and that's just not how Rex uses his guys.  I'm gonna have faith until he and the defense gives me a reason not to.

I bolded is the important part of this statement. I personally trust Rex until proven otherwise. He is a complete moron when it comes to offense. But he does get guys to play hard for him and he does know how to put defensive players in positions to succeed. In a lot of ways I think this is Rex's coming out party. The defense is going to play the best football of Rex's career this year. 

Just saying NT or 5-tech doesn't really do it justice as we have zero idea how he was being utilized in that role.  It's quite possible, as Rex has done it a number of times throughout the years, that he's aligning in a 30 front, but playing a more wade phillips' style one-gap defense.  He could have Richardson playing nose, but have him stunting or having him shoot the gap, as opposed to playing two-gap and just occupy blockers. 

There's another thing that people should look out for and that's Coples lining up wide like an OLB, but with his hand in the dirt, something they did a lot with Suggs.  Additionally, Coples played something like 30 snaps standing up to close out the year last year and recorded a couple QB hurries and a hit I believe.  So he clearly has the ability, but I think people and the media are getting too hung up on labels as they want everyone to fit into one category and that's just not how Rex uses his guys.  I'm gonna have faith until he and the defense gives me a reason not to.

Very well said.  Rex's defense is anything but traditional and yet so many people are addressing the potential positions of some of these players as if we were still playing Mangini's sh*tty ass defense.  It's just so far off from the reality of what this team does on defense.

If they fire Ryan to hire a guy married to a front in 2014 then lol Jets.

not sure how that's funny. Just about every team has a primary base front. We're only hoping Rex has some grand, dynamic scheme of multiple fronts that bucks a 60 year trend and sets the world on fire.

Just saying NT or 5-tech doesn't really do it justice as we have zero idea how he was being utilized in that role. It's quite possible, as Rex has done it a number of times throughout the years, that he's aligning in a 30 front, but playing a more wade phillips' style one-gap defense. He could have Richardson playing nose, but have him stunting or having him shoot the gap, as opposed to playing two-gap and just occupy blockers.

There's another thing that people should look out for and that's Coples lining up wide like an OLB, but with his hand in the dirt, something they did a lot with Suggs. Additionally, Coples played something like 30 snaps standing up to close out the year last year and recorded a couple QB hurries and a hit I believe. So he clearly has the ability, but I think people and the media are getting too hung up on labels as they want everyone to fit into one category and that's just not how Rex uses his guys. I'm gonna have faith until he and the defense gives me a reason not to.

that is very well said.a lot of times Rex and Phillips D's look a lot alike to me. More of a 5-2 where they like to hide gap responsibilities with different alignments.

I feel like when I saw that look last year you'd see offenses immediately try to attack the middle of the field a lot of times where Harris looked exposed.

Really, who cares what Rex wants to do? Rex is still piecing together how to make Ricky Sapp and Vernon Gholston into ballers. He's going to burn a year trying to turn Coples into Bryan Thomas, only to get fired (75% probability?) at the end of the year, at which point he gets to go back to DE. Rex is about as good at developing his draft picks as Herm was. Fun fact: Rex's Jets drafts have produced exactly zero (0) Pro Bowl players. The guy has a fancy scheme that confuses OLs, but he doesn't develop for sh*t.

Really, who cares what Rex wants to do? Rex is still piecing together how to make Ricky Sapp and Vernon Gholston into ballers. He's going to burn a year trying to turn Coples into Bryan Thomas, only to get fired (75% probability?) at the end of the year, at which point he gets to go back to DE. Rex is about as good at developing his draft picks as Herm was. Fun fact: Rex's Jets drafts have produced exactly zero (0) Pro Bowl players. The guy has a fancy scheme that confuses OLs, but he doesn't develop for sh*t.

While some of that is true, I think you're selling him a bit short on development, at least here with the jets.  Yes, none of his draft picks have gone to the pro-bowl, something that should have happened last year and almost definitely will happen this year when Wilkerson gets the credit he's due, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for that and not give him credit for guys like Cro and Landry. He didn't draft them, but Cromartie hadn't made the probowl in 5 years since his rookie season and by all accounts had his best year as a pro this past season, likewise Landry had never made the probowl prior to teaming up with Rex.  I agree, I would definitely like to see more of our own guys who are tenured on the roster make the probowl, but he's not a complete slouch when it comes to developing or at least getting the most out of certain guys.  Hopefully it all changes this year and we get a couple more of our own guys in there.

The fact that this is coming from, of all people, Tanny's greatest enemy is pretty friggin' hilarious.  Curious, does Rex get credit for McKnight being an All-Pro KR?

While some of that is true, I think you're selling him a bit short on development, at least here with the jets. Yes, none of his draft picks have gone to the pro-bowl, something that should have happened last year and almost definitely will happen this year when Wilkerson gets the credit he's due, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him for that and not give him credit for guys like Cro and Landry. He didn't draft them, but Cromartie hadn't made the probowl in 5 years since his rookie season and by all accounts had his best year as a pro this past season, likewise Landry had never made the probowl prior to teaming up with Rex. I agree, I would definitely like to see more of our own guys who are tenured on the roster make the probowl, but he's not a complete slouch when it comes to developing or at least getting the most out of certain guys. Hopefully it all changes this year and we get a couple more of our own guys in there.

Cro and Landry both washed out of their former organizations and were desperate for new contracts. They came with built-in motivations to play hard and play well, and both were high draft picks. It's cool that Rex created an environment where they flourished, but it's not like he made silk purses out of sow's ears there.

The fact that this is coming from, of all people, Tanny's greatest enemy is pretty friggin' hilarious. Curious, does Rex get credit for McKnight being an All-Pro KR?

Rex, the Great DL Whisperer, manufacturing a kick returner. Why not? Sure. Go, Rex.

Your fun fact is loaded and stupid.

2009 Jets drafted no defensive players

2010 Jets drafted 1 defensive player (who will never make the pro bowl, like most others drafted by everyone)

2011 Jets drafted 2 defensive players (1 was awesome already in year 2, whether he got silly pro bowl honors or not; the other was a pure 3-4 NT stuck behind one of the NFL's best)

2012 No NFL team drafted a pro bowler on defense.  The only two pro bowl players drafted by anyone were RGIII (2nd pick in the country, who the Jets had no shot of drafting, and a dome kicker)

So the way I see it, since it's too early to judge 2012's draftees for the Jets or anyone else, you're looking at exactly 3 players from 2 drafts.  One of them is a stud, 1 of them is not, and 1 of them is getting his first real starting opportunity in 2013.

The close of the 2013 season will be a good time to better judge our defensive draft picks - and Rex's development of them - since Rex was named HC here.  Not only to get a better look at 2012's draft class, but a little bit for 2013's also because we took a defensive player in the top 10 and another at #13 and both are expected to start as rookies.

Rex, the Great DL Whisperer, manufacturing a kick returner. Why not? Sure. Go, Rex.

Ah, so then it's really only the DL that count?  Just curious, because you were making quite the emphatic statement about how much it meant that the Jets had no Pro Bowlers drafted during his time here.  Didn't realize the massive sample size we were looking at was two.  Then again, what kind of useless players don't make the Pro Bowl in their first two years / rookie year respectively?

Keep in mind, I'm not even saying that Rex is going to magically make every DL on this team into HOFers, I'm simply pointing out the rather absurd nature of the stance that Rex apparently has no clue how DL play football, that he is going to decide to use Coples as a true LB for every down that he's on the field, and is doing something that everyone but Rex already knows for certain will be a complete failure.  I get that you don't like Rex, and I've definitely seen my opinion of him drop drastically over these past two years, but when you're trying to act like the guy doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to the DL of all things, you're not helping your cause.  Keep in mind, I'm not even saying Coples is going to work out for the Jets, because that's far from a sure thing at this point, but that doesn't come close to justifying this idea that the media is desperately trying to push, and some of you have felt the need to grasp onto, that Rex is going to use Coples the way every other team uses it's full-time LBs and therefore that means he's destined to ruin the career of an otherwise magnificent player.

There's plenty more legitimate reasons to dislike the guy as Jets HC, you really should stick to those.

not sure how that's funny. Just about every team has a primary base front. We're only hoping Rex has some grand, dynamic scheme of multiple fronts that bucks a 60 year trend and sets the world on fire.

Not sure how true that is anymore. Also, Ryan is one of the few defensive coaches who puts on strong Ds when the rules favor the offense so I would say there's some bucking of trends. It's not some  hope that he has a grand dynamic scheme, it's what he's done for 4 years here and a decade before that. 

Your fun fact is loaded and stupid.

2009 Jets drafted no defensive players

2010 Jets drafted 1 defensive player (who will never make the pro bowl, like most others drafted by everyone)

2011 Jets drafted 2 defensive players (1 was awesome already in year 2, whether he got silly pro bowl honors or not; the other was a pure 3-4 NT stuck behind one of the NFL's best)

2012 No NFL team drafted a pro bowler on defense. The only two pro bowl players drafted by anyone were RGIII (2nd pick in the country, who the Jets had no shot of drafting, and a dome kicker)

So the way I see it, since it's too early to judge 2012's draftees for the Jets or anyone else, you're looking at exactly 3 players from 2 drafts. One of them is a stud, 1 of them is not, and 1 of them is getting his first real starting opportunity in 2013.

The close of the 2013 season will be a good time to better judge our defensive draft picks - and Rex's development of them - since Rex was named HC here. Not only to get a better look at 2012's draft class, but a little bit for 2013's also because we took a defensive player in the top 10 and another at #13 and both are expected to start as rookies.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my little fun fact in the context we're discussing here--that is, giving Rex the benefit of the doubt in developing players. Four years in and the best support anyone can point to is "But Wilkerson..." The thing that's both loaded and stupid is this idea that anything he does with a drafted player is somehow touched by God and therefore beyond reproach.

Ah, so then it's really only the DL that count? Just curious, because you were making quite the emphatic statement about how much it meant that the Jets had no Pro Bowlers drafted during his time here. Didn't realize the massive sample size we were looking at was two. Then again, what kind of useless players don't make the Pro Bowl in their first two years / rookie year respectively?

Keep in mind, I'm not even saying that Rex is going to magically make every DL on this team into HOFers, I'm simply pointing out the rather absurd nature of the stance that Rex apparently has no clue how DL play football, that he is going to decide to use Coples as a true LB for every down that he's on the field, and is doing something that everyone but Rex already knows for certain will be a complete failure. I get that you don't like Rex, and I've definitely seen my opinion of him drop drastically over these past two years, but when you're trying to act like the guy doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to the DL of all things, you're not helping your cause. Keep in mind, I'm not even saying Coples is going to work out for the Jets, because that's far from a sure thing at this point, but that doesn't come close to justifying this idea that the media is desperately trying to push, and some of you have felt the need to grasp onto, that Rex is going to use Coples the way every other team uses it's full-time LBs and therefore that means he's destined to ruin the career of an otherwise magnificent player.

There's plenty more legitimate reasons to dislike the guy as Jets HC, you really should stick to those.

It'd obviously be great if Coples worked out at OLB and became Terrell Suggs. This is not the debate. But it's fair game to question the logic of such a move, and it's not sufficient to say "Well, if Rex is doing it, it must be smart," because there's not much in Rex's record recently to suggest that he knows what he's doing with bringing players along. You guys want to treat him like he's the defensive version of Bill Walsh developing quarterbacks because Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata--which Rex likes to point to--but Baltimore was producing those players before Rex got there and they're still producing them after he left.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my little fun fact in the context we're discussing here--that is, giving Rex the benefit of the doubt in developing players. Four years in and the best support anyone can point to is "But Wilkerson..." The thing that's both loaded and stupid is this idea that anything he does with a drafted player is somehow touched by God and therefore beyond reproach.

You are finding fault with him for not turning out multiple pro bowlers on defense in all the years Rex has been here.  The insinuation is that there has been failure after failure on this front.  The reality is that there is a pool of THREE players to judge this by.  One of those three is awesome, one is lousy, and one had been stuck behind a must-start player.

I've hardly been one to suck off Rex week after week, but show me another coach where 50% of the defensive draft picks that have started (and 33% of all draftees taken) have developed to pro bowl level within 2 years.

You are finding fault with him for not turning out multiple pro bowlers on defense in all the years Rex has been here. The insinuation is that there has been failure after failure on this front. The reality is that there is a pool of THREE players to judge this by. One of those three is awesome, one is lousy, and one had been stuck behind a must-start player.

I've hardly been one to suck off Rex week after week, but show me another coach where 50% of the defensive draft picks that have started (and 33% of all draftees taken) have developed to pro bowl level within 2 years.

I don't think I limited it to defensive players and, as BG pointed out, I missed on McKnight anyway. My contention is that giving Rex the benefit of the doubt as it relates to developing young players is dubious. Part of it is opportunity--Tannenbaum's M.O. of overpaying a vet to take a rookie's job--but much of it is on Rex, IMO. Four years after Mangini was hired, Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Leon were already Pro Bowlers. And the general consensus is that Mangini sucked. But we're still supposed to give Rex a pass? Remember the whole "Rex Effect" angle, where talent was going to flock to Florham Park to play for this guy? Four years later and his program is already neck-deep into a total rebuild. As usual, I'm probably a year early into writing a Jets coaches eulogy, but it's pretty fair to start looking at Rex's body of work as it relates to player development and compare it to Herm's, who made a living on the backs of a previous regime's acquisitions, but who, likewise, drove the team into the ground when those players started to peel off.

I don't think I limited it to defensive players and, as BG pointed out, I missed on McKnight anyway. My contention is that giving Rex the benefit of the doubt as it relates to developing young players is dubious. Part of it is opportunity--Tannenbaum's M.O. of overpaying a vet to take a rookie's job--but much of it is on Rex, IMO. Four years after Mangini was hired, Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Leon were already Pro Bowlers. And the general consensus is that Mangini sucked. But we're still supposed to give Rex a pass? Remember the whole "Rex Effect" angle, where talent was going to flock to Florham Park to play for this guy? Four years later and his program is already neck-deep into a total rebuild. As usual, I'm probably a year early into writing a Jets coaches eulogy, but it's pretty fair to start looking at Rex's body of work as it relates to player development and compare it to Herm's, who made a living on the backs of a previous regime's acquisitions, but who, likewise, drove the team into the ground when those players started to peel off.

Jets HC 2009-2013 (most of these guys will get their first extended action in 2013):

• Wilkerson
  • Ellis
  • Bush/Allen
  • Coples
  • Davis
  • Milliner
  • Richardson

Other noteworthy who were here before Rex arrived:

• Pouha (didn't start - or do much of anything - until Rex got here)
  • DeVito (same thing)
  • Cromartie (caught a sh*tload of picks his first season starting with SD and had been pretty ordinary ever since.  Until Ryan got a hold of him; now he's one of the NFL's few shutdown corners and he even tackles now)
  • Revis (I'm sure he was going to be great anyway, but it's convenient to say he was going to be every bit as great in Ryan's absence.  Went from mere 1x pro bowler who wasn't even 2nd-team all-pro under Mangini to perennial first team all-pro, arguably the game's best defender at any position, and likely HOFer under Ryan)

Ravens DL coach 1999-2004, DC 2005-2008:

• Ngata (round 1)
  • Johnson (round 4)
  • Scott (undrafted)
  • Leonhard (undrafted)
  • AdaliusThomas (round 6)
  • Dawan Landry (round 5)
  • Kemoeatu (undrafted; turned into a beast under Rex, parlayed that into a giant contract from Carolina, and was mediocre without Rex)
  • Will Demps (undrafted; started for half a decade)
  • Marques Douglas (undrafted then cut by NO; Rex turned him into a starter also)
  • Anthony Weaver (round 2)
  • Kelly Gregg (6th rounder cut by 2 teams, picked up off the street and developed into Baltimore's starting NT for almost a decade)

He's nowhere near perfect, and may very well be fired after this season, but the guy knows defense, is big on teaching technique and has coached up nothing and lower-talent players to be good and good players to be great.  If any offensive players developed really well here it would be incidental, as I doubt he played a major part in it beyond personal encouragement.

Jets HC 2009-2013 (most of these guys will get their first extended action in 2013):

• Wilkerson
  • Ellis
  • Bush/Allen
  • Coples
  • Davis
  • Milliner
  • Richardson
  • DeVito (same thing)
  • Cromartie (caught a sh*tload of picks his first season starting with SD and had been pretty ordinary ever since. Until Ryan got a hold of him; now he's one of the NFL's few shutdown corners and he even tackles now)
  • Revis (I'm sure he was going to be great anyway, but it's convenient to say he was going to be every bit as great in Ryan's absence. Went from mere 1x pro bowler who wasn't even 2nd-team all-pro under Mangini to perennial first team all-pro, arguably the game's best defender at any position, and likely HOFer under Ryan)
  • Ngata (round 1)
  • Johnson (round 4)
  • Scott (undrafted)
  • Leonhard (undrafted)
  • Dawan Landry (round 5)
  • Kemoeatu (undrafted; turned into a beast under Rex, parlayed that into a giant contract from Carolina, and was mediocre without Rex)
  • Marques Douglas (undrafted then cut by NO; Rex turned him into a starter also)
  • Kelly Gregg (6th rounder cut by 2 teams, picked up off the street and developed into Baltimore's starting NT for almost a decade)
He's nowhere near perfect, and may very well be fired after this season, but the guy knows defense, is big on teaching technique and has coached up nothing and lower-talent players to be good and good players to be great. If any offensive players developed really well here it would be incidental, as I doubt he played a major part in it beyond personal encouragement.

You'll forgive me if I'm not convinced that Rex turned Revis or Ngata into great players, or that Will Demps, Dawan Landry, and a bunch of jags like Marques Douglass are proof of Rex's coaching greatness. (Antonio Allen and Kenrick Ellis?) He did take Devito, Pouha, Gregg, and Kemoeatu and turned them into stout run defenders, which goes on the résumé, for sure, but that shows that he knows how to get gritty guys to...be gritty defensive tackles? The Ravens won the Super Bowl last year with their 3rd and 4th corners starting, and with draftees like Paul Kruger, Courtney Upshaw, and Dannel Ellerbe playing major roles. Maybe Baltimore just produces better mid- to late-round talent than anyone else, and that Rex had very little to do with it?

Again, Rex is a fine defensive coach with a fine defensive system, and I'm not disparaging his ability there. He's just wildly overrated as far as gurus go.

When you know your offense will be anorexic ginger living in Alaska anemic you have to get creative and all experimental and sh*t on defense. Rex will make the defense sizzle this year.

In order for this defense to sizzle Rex will need to eat something large and sh!t out a pro bowl safety or 2.

In order for this defense to sizzle Rex will need to eat something large and sh!t out a pro bowl safety or 2.

Bush and Landry are going to play great at safety, imho. When I went to visit the Jets last year Kerley said that Bush was a young player that had the best chance to make a big impact in the league next year and I think Landry will return back to Baltimore form. I know its a log shot going on this info - but I kinda believe the guy who practices against him everyday.

Let's see how that plays out.  Pretty sure until last year we never had a pro bowl safety under Rex.  I think a pass rush from the outside and some pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket might help as well.  

Cromartie (caught a sh*tload of picks his first season starting with SD and had been pretty ordinary ever since.  Until Ryan got a hold of him; now he's one of the NFL's few shutdown corners and he even tackles now)

• Wilkerson
  • Ellis
  • Bush/Allen
  • Coples
  • Davis
  • Milliner
  • Richardson

• DeVito (same thing)
  • Cromartie (caught a sh*tload of picks his first season starting with SD and had been pretty ordinary ever since.  Until Ryan got a hold of him; now he's one of the NFL's few shutdown corners and he even tackles now)
  • Revis (I'm sure he was going to be great anyway, but it's convenient to say he was going to be every bit as great in Ryan's absence.  Went from mere 1x pro bowler who wasn't even 2nd-team all-pro under Mangini to perennial first team all-pro, arguably the game's best defender at any position, and likely HOFer under Ryan)

• Ngata (round 1)
  • Johnson (round 4)
  • Scott (undrafted)
  • Leonhard (undrafted)
  • Dawan Landry (round 5)

He's nowhere near perfect, and may very well be fired after this season, but the guy knows defense, is big on teaching technique and has coached up nothing and lower-talent players to be good and good players to be great.  If any offensive players developed really well here it would be incidental, as I doubt he played a major part in it beyond personal encouragement.

First of all do you really think Rex had a say with the Ravens ? That team was full of hall of famers when Rex moved into his positions as DL/DC . Ozzie made those picks not Rex. Theres a reason the Ravens did not make Rex the HC and brougt in John Harbaugh. because harbaugh has a brain and knows how to MANAGE a fiitball team Rex has no clue. So while he may be a good DC and DL coach he lacks the Brains for what we need him for and thats to be the head coach of the WHOLE football team, not half of it or one thrid of it.

When it comes to Cromartie saying he tackles now is laughable. Ive seen him make a few hits last year on players in compromising positions in relation to him but if a RB is heading towards Cro with a full head of steam dont expect much at all. He will either crumble or avoid the contact any way he can. A few hits does not make a tackler ... Revis was a tackler, Cro will never be one . You also listed Cromartie as being here when Rex arrived and he was not.

Rex came to the Jets and we had Above average talent here. He also brought Leonhard, Douglas and Scott to help on every tier of the defense. Every year the defense has started to drop off and they have never stepped up in a big moment. They put up the stats but many times can't shut games down or get off the field on 3rd down. They are certainly NOT the Ravens by any stretch not even close.

You bring up the draft picks and say that the Jets have only drafted 2 defensive players per the last few years but those picks happen to be 4 defensive lineman in rounds 1 and 2 the past 4 years while impact skill players go undrafted on this team until the 4th + rounds. Only one that comes to mind is Stephen Hill in round 2 last year. Im certain Rex has little input on offensive moves since the Idiot constantly proclaims his ignorance on that side of the ball. The only good skill player added to this team in yearrrrrs is Jeremy Kerley and hes a nice player but hes not turning the league upside down either. 

Most teams that make it to, or have the talent to compete in the AFCCG should never drop off as fast as we did. After years 1 and 2 this team was a few skill players away from getting to a SB .... Who did we bring in ?

Year 2 -- Santonio Holmes - Pitt thought so much of him they basically dumped him for a 5th rounder --- Known Loudmouth

Year 3 -- Plaxico Burress - Fresh out of jail and 34 years old -- Jets do not re sign nor does anyone else --- Known Loudmouth 

Year 3 -- Derrick Mason - Loud mouth trouble maker 38 years old who Rex claimed would have 90 receptions yet he was released in week 4 --- Known Loudmouth

Year 3 -- Did not Sign Braylon Edwards --- Who was certainly trouble off the field but did have a good on the field relationship with our young QB. Certainly was not shooting himself in the leg at a night club. 

Lets use the Ravens as an example ...this team has been close for many years. They know they have a good defense so they set their sights on improving the offense and the skill players on that side of the ball. They actully tried until they hit it and won the SB the key to that SB and probably the most important move was bringing in Anquan Boldin who played lights out in the playoffs and they won it all. Boldin is a damn good WR and a good lockerroom guy ... The Ravens also did a great job handling Joe Flacco getting him Ray Rice and other Skill players on offense to help his growth as a QB.

The Jets in a similar situation with a very good defense and a few offensive players away from truly contending for a SB bring in IDIOTS and HAS BEENS and expect the same results and Its been laughable for the past 4 years and everyone seems to get this. Its the real reason we have the clown label.

Bottom Line --- The Ravens did it right ....The Jets did it wrong under Rex Ryans so called watch. They continue to do it wrong.

This team needs LB's and Safeties to which are the biggest holes on our defense so Rex Drafts yet another DT in this years draft ??????????? Dumps Revis (understandable to some extent) and Signs a rookie with Imnjury Problems and 5 surgeries in the past 3 years ???????  Im OK with Geno Smith and I hope he can really make a difference but who the **** is he throwing the ball too ? Certainly its about time we got some explosive RB's but neither one has shown the durability to make us rest easy .

I think Idzik stayed true to his board so I wont push to hard aganist the Richardson pick and he deserves the benifit of the doubt at least until year 3. But Im concerned about how our defense is being built and how our offense has been neglected, are we oncourse to ruin another QB ?

Archived