Cimini's 5 Things from Rookie Camp

T0mShane

Day 1: Five things we learned

By Rich Cimini | May 10, 2013 7:24 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- My takeaways on the first day of rookie minicamp:

1. Growing pains: QB Geno Smith can sling it. He threw a pretty fastball, a tight spiral with good velocity. But we already knew that, didn't we? The questions with him involve his intangibles. How quickly can he learn the offense? Can he handle adversity? Can he lead? The West Coast system is all about rhythm and timing, and there were times when Smith held the ball too long. In those instances, he seemed to hesitate as he went from his first read to his second. One time, he didn't reset his feet, resulting in an overthrow. These are the type of glitches you'd expect from a rookie on his first day. For the most part, he fared reasonably well, completing six of 10 passes (one drop) in team drills.

2. Rex in charge (of the D): Rex Ryan wasn't kidding when he said recently that he would return to an active role in the defense. During the defensive walk-through period, Ryan did all the talking and the coaching, explaining the basics of his system to a group of wide-eyed rookies. He likes the hands-on approach, the chance to teach, but it also provides fodder for his critics, those who say he's a glorified defensive coordinator. At a time in his career when he should be evolving into an all-around head coach, Ryan is reverting to his defensive roots. He feels it's necessary because the Jets are basically starting over on defense, with six or seven new starters. Maybe so, but he can't lose sight of the big picture.

3. A message to Vlad: For a change, the Jets might have some decent depth on the offensive line. Instead of operating with a bunch of undrafted free agents, the Jets lined up with three draft picks on the "starting" line -- LT Oday Aboushi, LG Brian Winters and RG Will Campbell. With better numbers on the line, it could spell trouble for former second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse, whose scholarship has expired. Ryan appreciated the improved depth, predicting the drop-off with the second unit in preseason games won't be as severe as in the past. "Hopefully, that will be a little different this preseason because I think we'll be able to block some people," he said.

4. Minding his P's and Q's: Obviously, Quinton Coples isn't participating in the camp, but his name came up in Ryan's news conference. Ryan was asked about Coples' move to outside linebacker, and he quickly used the platform to send a message to the former first-round pick, telling the world that Coples is slacking off in the weight room. It was a very Parcells-ian move by Ryan. Eventually, Ryan explained his plans for Coples at linebacker. To me, this move is a reach. A 280-pound linebacker? Why do I have the feeling we'll be reporting late in training camp that Coples is returning to the defensive line?

5. A little R&R: Fans might not appreciate this, but first-round DT Sheldon Richardson kind of reminds me of Dewayne Robertson -- just in terms of his mannerisms and physique. Relax, it's not a commentary on his talent. In his first practice, Richardson displayed fire and energy, qualities that immediately separated him from the former Jets bust. You also have to like Richardson's versatility; he can play the 1-, 3- and 5-technique positions along the line. Ryan will have some fun with Richardson, figuring out different ways to use him.

1. Geno: every positive thing we hear about Geno makes my dark little heart all aflutter. He's already held his own players-only meeting and his teammates have already commented on what a cool natural leader he is.

2. Rex should stick with the D and pad those stats so he has something to hang his hat on when the axe comes down on him. Build up the ol' résumé.

3. What a switch. Last year, Tannenbaum forced his coaches to play Vlad. This year, Idzik's given his coaches options. Does anyone want to retroactively make the case that Tannenbaum was a genius? Because I've read that here a lot over the years.

4. Yeah, the Coples switch is a non-starter for me. If Richardson wasn't the pick at #13, then they wouldn't even be talking about Coples at OLB, so this is clearly a case of Rex pounding square pegs into round holes. Especially if Coples isn't motivated to make the change, this is going to go badly. IMO, the opening day OLB's will be Barnes and Pace, and Coples will be a swing D-lineman off the bench, which is probably his best role anyway.

The New York Jets rookie minicamp is underway in Florham Park NJ.  The quarterback always gets the spotlight and all eyes were on Geno Smith.  Geno was asked what it would take to learn the West Coast offense.  He told the media…

As we all know the West Coast system is one of the toughest ones to learn, but I don’t think it was too foreign to me. First of all, I studied my butt off just to be prepared for today and there’s more work that goes into being ready for tomorrow. Overall, it’s going to be a transition and that’s expected, but I’m going to work at it and try my best to put my best foot forward.

At West Virginia Smith took extensive snaps out of the shotgun.  He will be under the center in the NFL and after practice he was asked if that was the most that had happened…

Probably yes, probably more than recently, but it felt like a natural change. Obviously, there are some things that I need clean up and I’m going to work hard with Coach Lee and Coach Mornhinweg. It didn’t feel too odd to me, so I think I did a pretty good job.

There were reports that Geno Smith held a meeting in the hotel with the rookie offensive lineman.  Rex Ryan was very happy to hear about this…

Yeah, I think that’s great. It’s interesting, because I thought it was unusual the way he did command the huddle. That was pretty impressive. And the fact that he’s already telling the guys (instructions), that’s pretty sharp.

Here are some additional notes from from the JetNation forums.  Be sure to check out our as well.

gallery_5331_74_963666.jpg

1. Geno: every positive thing we hear about Geno makes my dark little heart all aflutter. He's already held his own players-only meeting and his teammates have already commented on what a cool natural leader he is.

2. Rex should stick with the D and pad those stats so he has something to hang his hat on when the axe comes down on him. Build up the ol' résumé.

3. What a switch. Last year, Tannenbaum forced his coaches to play Vlad. This year, Idzik's given his coaches options. Does anyone want to retroactively make the case that Tannenbaum was a genius? Because I've read that here a lot over the years.

4. Yeah, the Coples switch is a non-starter for me. If Richardson wasn't the pick at #13, then they wouldn't even be talking about Coples at OLB, so this is clearly a case of Rex pounding square pegs into round holes. Especially if Coples isn't motivated to make the change, this is going to go badly. IMO, the opening day OLB's will be Barnes and Pace, and Coples will be a swing D-lineman off the bench, which is probably his best role anyway.

Agree with everything you said, except for the bolded as I actually thinking Coples will end up making a very solid OLB, something I was hoping he'd play his rookie year.  I know there were a lot of knocks on his motivation his senior year and he admitted after all the suspensions it took a toll on him, but his production was still pretty great; he had the same amount of tackles, TFL and 3 less sacks, but all his QB hits/hurries were the same, so I don't buy the lack of production. 

I liken him a lot to Tamba Hali who played DE in college and stood up a bit; Coples is longer, stronger and more explosive, while Hali beats him in a few agility drills, which is to be expected when you're a few inches shorter.  It could go either way as you say, but I saw the kid during the combine and there's nothing Hali and those guys can do that he can't.  Obviously we all want it to work out, so here's to hoping you're wrong.

Archived