FED UP!!!!

whodeawhodat

lulza yourself (whatever that means)

There were FA QBs available that would have provided a much higher caliber of play than Sanchez.  Everyone said that Sanchez needed to sit for a year or two.  Rex and Tanny foolishly chose to start Sanchez and not bring in veteran insurance other than Brunell who was done as a player and could only serve as a mentor.

The flip side of relaxed and free is undisciplined and no accountability.  That's what happens with player coaches.  It's as inevitable as the bump teams get in switching from a rigid disciplinarian to a players' coach.  The first couple of years the team does better because of that freedom.  By year 3, things start breaking down.  If you were a student of the game and had watched the NFL as long as I have, you'd know that.

RIF...I didn't say that any veterans were stripped of their leadership, I said that veteran leadership was removed from the team, i.e., players were traded or released who were still productive and had been leaders.  There became a leadership void.  Rex's idea of leadership was Tone.   lulza  Rex is incapable of providing the leadership himself as a HC is supposed to do.

What's laughable is that fans like you have your heads so far up Rex's ass that you can't see the truth of what a lousy HC he is and how he has hurt this franchise every bit as much as he has helped it, perhaps even more.  He is the one who created the circus atmosphere, not Tanny. He is the one who has made the team a laughingstock in the NFL again.

lulza is all mine.  Feel free to use it.

Rex and Tanny chose to go with the rookie.  Right or wrong, they still made the AFCG.  Maybe they do more with a different, QB, maybe they dont.  Some FA JAG might have helped get them there.  We'll never know.  Impressive efforts by Rex.

I'm clearly not a student of the game.  Please teach me. <3

Rex is a great leader, proven by his years of success in the NFL.  Great use of lulza.  Please name these productive leaders the team removed. 

You're take on Rex is awful.  He's a great HC.  One of the best in the league.  His ability to win with the worst QB in the league is proof.  Nobody does more with less.  He's had completely sh*tty team, void of talent, yet he's always got them in the running for playoffs.  If he had a real QB, the Jets would have won 4 SB's in a row.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex and Tanny chose to go with the rookie.  Right or wrong, they still made the AFCG.  Maybe they do more with a different, QB, maybe they dont.  Some FA JAG might have helped get them there.  We'll never know.  Impressive efforts by Rex.

Rex is a great leader, proven by his years of success in the NFL.  Great use of lulza.  Please name these productive leaders the team removed. 

You're take on Rex is awful.  He's a great HC.  One of the best in the league.  His ability to win with the worst QB in the league is proof.  Nobody does more with less.  He's had completely sh*tty team, void of talent, yet he's always got them in the running for playoffs.  If he had a real QB, the Jets would have won 4 SB's in a row.

I'm sorry, this is just totally laughable.  Even the most ardent Rex supporters I've run into here and elsewhere admit that he really hasn't functioned as a HC, but a glorified DC and they admit he has his flaws.  Not you, however...you think he's a great HC, one of the best in the league.  Whatever.

Rex is a great leader, proven by his years of success in the NFL.

Was he a great leader in 2009 and 2010, but not in 2011 and 2012, or was he a great leader in all of them? I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by "years of success." Thx in advance for your response. I'll hang up and listen.

:click:

I am so tired of all of the Rex bashing. If he had half a QB we would have put some more points on the board and gotten a few more wins(at least).  Give OUR coach a break.  He is a first time HC, he will have some growing pains.  Believe me, I want instant success as much as you guys but so does every team.  Every organization strives for success except maybe the suck for luck colt from a couple of years back.  Give Rex some support, football is his life, always has been.  he is very smart when it come to Xs and Os on defense, he will struggle on offense until he has a couple of more years exp.  Until then he will have to lean on his OC.

Last year was a sh*t show.  Definitely a low point in the Rex era.  I hope he bounces back because I like the style on football he has brought to the NYJ.  Bring the fight Rex, bring it!

that is all...

Give him a break?  Screw him.  the first time HC crap doesnt fly anymore.  4 years isnt instant success in the NFL these days.  

Rex- 9 wins. 11 wins. 8 wins. 6 wins.  Thats not very good.  Yes, we did make (and lose) 2 AFC championships, but we have had 1 good season overall in 4 years under Rex.  Rex has shown that he is a terrible head coach, terrible in-game coach and has no idea how to run an entire team.  He's great with his defense, but fails everywhere else.  

Now, am I hoping he falls on his face? No.  He's the coach of my team.  But Im not wearing blinders thinking he's  a good head coach.  He's not.  And if he wishes to keep his job past this year he needs to learn fast what it means to be the Head Coach.

Give him a break?  Screw him.  the first time HC crap doesnt fly anymore.  4 years isnt instant success in the NFL these days.  

Rex- 9 wins. 11 wins. 8 wins. 6 wins.  Thats not very good.  Yes, we did make (and lose) 2 AFC championships, but we have had 1 good season overall in 4 years under Rex.  Rex has shown that he is a terrible head coach, terrible in-game coach and has no idea how to run an entire team.  He's great with his defense, but fails everywhere else.  

Now, am I hoping he falls on his face? No.  He's the coach of my team.  But Im not wearing blinders thinking he's  a good head coach.  He's not.  And if he wishes to keep his job past this year he needs to learn fast what it means to be the Head Coach.

why doesn't the first time HC crap fly anymore?  He is supposed to just jump right in and bring us a SB? if not he is trash and throw him away?

Positives:

football knowledge

passion for the game

defensive scheme

willingness to heed advice

desire to get better

Negatives:

lack of offensive ingenuity

lack of HC experience

perception that he has no control over his team

talks smack in the media

I wont get into the personnel of the whole issue as I discussed his starting QB in the OP and we also lost our best player on offense and defense last year.  Personnel has at least as much if not more to do with the GM imo so I am hoping that Idzik can help us get over the hump and into the promised land in all of our lifetimes.

Feel free to expand on my positive and negative list if you like.

why doesn't the first time HC crap fly anymore?  He is supposed to just jump right in and bring us a SB? if not he is trash and throw him away?

Positives:

football knowledge

passion for the game

defensive scheme

desire to get better

Negatives:

lack of HC experience

talks smack in the media

I wont get into the personnel of the whole issue as I discussed his starting QB in the OP and we also lost our best player on offense and defense last year.  Personnel has at least as much if not more to do with the GM imo so I am hoping that Idzik can help us get over the hump and into the promised land in all of our lifetimes.

Why doesnt it fly anymore??  I dont know... he's been a head coach for 4 years now.  How much more time does he need to learn?

I dont need to expand on your list.  What does that accomplish? ANother thread going back and forth about the same stupid points we all think we make?  Nah.  I'll just leave knowing that Rex is a bad head coach who lacks control over his football team and its been obvious since he's been here that he doesnt want to be in control over the whole team and be held responsible for it.

Why doesnt it fly anymore??  I dont know... he's been a head coach for 4 years now.  How much more time does he need to learn?

I dont need to expand on your list.  What does that accomplish? ANother thread going back and forth about the same stupid points we all think we make?  Nah.  I'll just leave knowing that Rex is a bad head coach who lacks control over his football team and its been obvious since he's been here that he doesnt want to be in control over the whole team and be held responsible for it.

look at any/most HCs that have coached in the league and look at their first 4 years as a HC?  Shiiiiiiit, look at little bill in NE's first 4 years with the doo doo browns.  You come off as an irrational with your willingness to bury your head in the sand while screaming "REX SUCKS" instead of being willing to debate the merits of your assessment.

C'mon.  The playoffs were gift wrapped.  That playoff caliber team hadn't been to the playoffs the two years prior, hadn't been out of the wildcard round in four and just had a hall of fame player retire from the most important position on the field with no viable replacement.  With a big bow!

Please refrain from clouding the issue with facts

I'm sorry, this is just totally laughable.  Even the most ardent Rex supporters I've run into here and elsewhere admit that he really hasn't functioned as a HC, but a glorified DC and they admit he has his flaws.  Not you, however...you think he's a great HC, one of the best in the league.  Whatever.

Top 5 HC's in the league.  No doubt about it.  

Was he a great leader in 2009 and 2010, but not in 2011 and 2012, or was he a great leader in all of them? I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by "years of success." Thx in advance for your response. I'll hang up and listen.

:click:

Great leader, all day, every damn day.  

Overall record as a HC - 34-30 = success.  With Mark Sanchez as his QB.  No other coach in the league could win with that guy.  Rex does.  

I went to Vince Lombardi Elementary School.

Seven Blocks of Granite ****ers!

You know where Jerome Ave. 17th St. and Sheepshead Bay Rd. all meet?

There is a concrete triangle, and on the base of it, there is a headstone for the man. 

What does that have to do with Rex getting a "gift wrapped playoff team"?  And you do realize that Favre was not a member of the NY Jets in 2009, right?  So where we were in 2008 was being led by a HOF QB.  Very different then going into the season with Kellen Clemens as his starting QB. 

BB's record was 41-55 with Browns and Pats before Brady became the starter..

BB's record was 41-55 with Browns and Pats before Brady became the starter..

Amazing what a QB can do for a HC, pauper to prince. 

Rex has had 1 losing season so far, mainly because he's had the worst QB play in the league.  Go look at HC's around the league, I think you can count 3 HC's who have been with their current team for 4 or more years who havent had a losing season - John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith - Rex just had his first losing season as a HC with a fraction the caliber QB play those guys get.

Amazing what a QB can do for a HC, pauper to prince.

Rex has had 1 losing season so far, mainly because he's had the worst QB play in the league. Go look at HC's around the league, I think you can count 3 HC's who have been with their current team for 4 or more years who havent had a losing season - John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Mike Smith - Rex just had his first losing season as a HC with a fraction the caliber QB play those guys get.

Cool story, bro. It's too bad that the Head Coach has no control over who plays quarterback for his team. If he did, boyitellya, we'd have rings galore around here.

Cool story, bro. It's too bad that the Head Coach has no control over who plays quarterback for his team. If he did, boyitellya, we'd have rings galore around here.

Right?  boyitellya, that genius Bill Belicheck knew exactly what he had in Tom Brady, thats why he was starting Drew Bledsoe

Positives:

football knowledge

passion for the game

defensive scheme

desire to get better

Negatives:

lack of HC experience

talks smack in the media

The bold he has admitted, and it's been echoed by players. Thus making it fact, not perception.

I get your point, an I'm behind the idea of Rex proving doubters wrong. I do think doubters, me being one of the first, have a substantial amount of reason to be doubtful. BUT he's here and he's a Jet, so lets get it!!! Right?

Top 5 HC's in the league.  No doubt about it.  

Great leader, all day, every damn day.  

Overall record as a HC - 34-30 = success.  With Mark Sanchez as his QB.  No other coach in the league could win with that guy.  Rex does.  

Seriously?  

Top 5 DC?  Definitely.  Even a top 15 HC?  Not by a long shot.  Top 5 HC?  No way.  I can think of 10 off the top of my head that are better.  Both Harbaughs, Bill Belicheat, Mike McCarthy, Mike Smith, Tom Coughlin, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Gary Kubiak, and Pete Carroll.  Some people would include John Fox that high (but not me).  There are some young HCs who could prove to be much better than Rex in short order.  I don't follow other teams in the NFL that closely, but I'm pretty sure that a number of other HCs are better than Rex as well.  They may not have been as good a coordinator or position coach as Rex is a DC, but as HCs (and that's what this discussion is about) they are better.

Great leader?  OMG too funny!!  Are you 9 years old?  Rex's love child?  Totally lacking in reality.  Time for a reality check. 

The Jets have done as well as they have because he has had the Jets D play at an extremely high level and the offense did just enough to enable them to win.  In 2009 & 2010 they had a very good OL and strong rushing attack.  The last 2 years their OL was weaker and the rushing attack lame, and the level of play on the D tailed off.

In those last two seasons the team has been a total circus and Rex has ADMITTED that he didn't have the pulse of the team and had lost control of the team.  Good HCs, much less supposed great ones, don't make those kind of mistakes.  Good solid HCs, know about, care about and manage all the units (offense, defense and STs) on a team.  Great HCs don't just manage or have a cursory knowledge, but they know how to get the best out of those units and how to use them and are in control of game plans.  Rex doesn't fit in any of those categories.  He admitted he knew nothing about offense when he was hired and still doesn't.

Great HCs are quick to spot when something isn't working and make changes/adjustments.  Rex is glacially slow both at spotting and making those changes.  Like Herm Edwards, he frequently stands there with a "WTF" expression on his face and is clueless of what's wrong or how to fix/change things.  Even when he does make a chance, it's usually too little too late or the wrong change.  Great HCs always have something in their bag of tricks.  As much as I hate to admit it, Belicheat does this.  He'll have something that he saves for the end of tight games.  Rex's bag is empty.  He's got nothing.

If you honestly believe that Rex is a great HC either your ****en with us or your dreaming...

Please refrain from clouding the issue with facts

Did anyone remember seeing the Jets in 2008? WTF are you people talking about...dude we were 8 and 3! We had just beaten argueably the two best teams in the AFC that year in the Titans and Pats in back to back weeks, then Favre went down and so did our chances......come on man.

The bold he has admitted, and it's been echoed by players. Thus making it fact, not perception.

I get your point, an I'm behind the idea of Rex proving doubters wrong. I do think doubters, me being one of the first, have a substantial amount of reason to be doubtful. BUT he's here and he's a Jet, so lets get it!!! Right?

right, lets see them bring the ruckus on defense and hopefully field an offense that can put more than 10 points on the board every week...

Seriously?

Top 5 DC? Definitely. Even a top 15 HC? Not by a long shot. Top 5 HC? No way. I can think of 10 off the top of my head that are better. Both Harbaughs, Bill Belicheat, Mike McCarthy, Mike Smith, Tom Coughlin, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Gary Kubiak, and Pete Carroll. Some people would include John Fox that high (but not me). There are some young HCs who could prove to be much better than Rex in short order. I don't follow other teams in the NFL that closely, but I'm pretty sure that a number of other HCs are better than Rex as well. They may not have been as good a coordinator or position coach as Rex is a DC, but as HCs (and that's what this discussion is about) they are better.

Great leader? OMG too funny!! Are you 9 years old? Rex's love child? Totally lacking in reality. Time for a reality check.

The Jets have done as well as they have because he has had the Jets D play at an extremely high level and the offense did just enough to enable them to win. In 2009 & 2010 they had a very good OL and strong rushing attack. The last 2 years their OL was weaker and the rushing attack lame, and the level of play on the D tailed off.

In those last two seasons the team has been a total circus and Rex has ADMITTED that he didn't have the pulse of the team and had lost control of the team. Good HCs, much less supposed great ones, don't make those kind of mistakes. Good solid HCs, know about, care about and manage all the units (offense, defense and STs) on a team. Great HCs don't just manage or have a cursory knowledge, but they know how to get the best out of those units and how to use them and are in control of game plans. Rex doesn't fit in any of those categories. He admitted he knew nothing about offense when he was hired and still doesn't.

Great HCs are quick to spot when something isn't working and make changes/adjustments. Rex is glacially slow both at spotting and making those changes. Like Herm Edwards, he frequently stands there with a "WTF" expression on his face and is clueless of what's wrong or how to fix/change things. Even when he does make a chance, it's usually too little too late or the wrong change. Great HCs always have something in their bag of tricks. As much as I hate to admit it, Belicheat does this. He'll have something that he saves for the end of tight games. Rex's bag is empty. He's got nothing.

Yes. Seriously. I think Rex is a top 5 HC in the NFL. All those coaches you named that are soooo much better, have 1 thing in common - elite QB's. The only ones who dont (but might be on the verge) are the Harbaugh's, who I'd agree are better HC's than Rex Ryan. Like Savage pointed out before, what was BB before Brady? Is Mike McCarthy a really good HC? Or does he have the best QB in the league on his team? I'm guessing if you gave him Mark Sanchez, he'd never have a winning season. Coughlin was almost run out of town for losing his team year over year till Eli figured it out. Pete Carroll and Gary Kubiak - lulza - okay.

I personally like a leader who can step up and admit his weaknesses and mistakes. I like a leader who believes in his team. I like a leader who understand that he cant lead everyone and that others leaders need to step up to the plate. It means they can self evaluate, look to change and create an atmosphere of success. Under Rex Ryan's watch, the Jets have had the leagues best running game, the leagues best defense and the leagues best special teams at some point in his tenure. Name me a coach that can say the same. Problem is, his choice to be the franchise leader, didnt pan out. Its damn near a miracle that he's still managed to keep the Jets competitive lets alone win with Mark Sanchez as his QB.

Rex specialty is D, just like Payton's is O. WTF is Sean Payton teaching his team about defense? McCarthy? Please bro. Those guy no knowing about it and have no input, just like Rex doesnt on offense and plus they have the 2 best QB's in the game, there job is infinitely easier than Rex. This coach that coaches every phase of the game, is a pipe dream fans think exists. You come from one side of the ball and thats what you know. Rex ability to game plan is top notch, best in the league from a defensive standpoint. He's got plenty in the bag.

Yes. Seriously. I think Rex is a top 5 HC in the NFL. All those coaches you named that are soooo much better, have 1 thing in common - elite QB's. The only ones who dont (but might be on the verge) are the Harbaugh's, who I'd agree are better HC's than Rex Ryan. Like Savage pointed out before, what was BB before Brady? Is Mike McCarthy a really good HC? Or does he have the best QB in the league on his team? I'm guessing if you gave him Mark Sanchez, he'd never have a winning season. Coughlin was almost run out of town for losing his team year over year till Eli figured it out. Pete Carroll and Gary Kubiak - lulza - okay.

I personally like a leader who can step up and admit his weaknesses and mistakes. I like a leader who believes in his team. I like a leader who understand that he cant lead everyone and that others leaders need to step up to the plate. It means they can self evaluate, look to change and create an atmosphere of success. Under Rex Ryan's watch, the Jets have had the leagues best running game, the leagues best defense and the leagues best special teams at some point in his tenure. Name me a coach that can say the same. Problem is, his choice to be the franchise leader, didnt pan out. Its damn near a miracle that he's still managed to keep the Jets competitive lets alone win with Mark Sanchez as his QB.

Rex specialty is D, just like Payton's is O. WTF is Sean Payton teaching his team about defense? McCarthy? Please bro. Those guy no knowing about it and have no input, just like Rex doesnt on offense and plus they have the 2 best QB's in the game, there job is infinitely easier than Rex. This coach that coaches every phase of the game, is a pipe dream fans think exists. You come from one side of the ball and thats what you know. Rex ability to game plan is top notch, best in the league from a defensive standpoint. He's got plenty in the bag.

By this logic, Jon Gruden and Brian Billick are the best coaches of all time because they won Super Bowls with bad quarterbacks. Also, Bill Walsh is just an average coach because he had Hall of Famers at the position.

By this logic, Jon Gruden and Brian Billick are the best coaches of all time because they won Super Bowls with bad quarterbacks. Also, Bill Walsh is just an average coach because he had Hall of Famers at the position.

Question: Does having an elite QB make a HC's job easier? 

Even you can't deny the NFL is much different than it was in 2002.

And guess who was an integral piece of that 2000 Ravens team that won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer?  Rex Ryan.

Even you can't deny the NFL is much different than it was in 2002.

And guess who was an integral piece of that 2000 Ravens team that won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer?  Rex Ryan.

The Ravens sure have suffered since the loss of Rex Ryan. Look at how miserable they have been I am sure they will be begging him to come back once he is on the street

Archived