FED UP!!!!

whodeawhodat

Slats didn't say they gave him a vote of confidence. OTOH, he isn't on a one-year deal where they didn't extend him either.  As Slats said, the contract issue gives no insight into the future of Rex Ryan.  The only thing that it points out is that Idzik isn't tying his wagon to Rex by giving him a contract of the same length as the GM.  I'm glad.  That just proves that Idzik is not an idiot that does things too far in advance.

Im glad that this has now been proven, that Idzik does not do things to far in advance. There was at least some thought that perhaps Woody made this a contingency, but thankfully that thought has been proven incorrect.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of this season he'll either be extended or fired. That's a one-year deal. He's not coaching 2014 on his current deal.

I think we're going 5-11 unless Geno Smith is Russell Wilson/Dan Marino

This is flat out silly. Geno is 10 X Mark Sanchez, and Sanchez had this team 6-10 last year. This team will be no less than 8-8 if Geno starts. If Sanchez miraculously starts, all bets are off.

What does that say exactly?  The Jets have one sorry history when it comes to HCs, GMs and owners.

For the record, Weeb Ewbank was the best, Parcells was 2nd best, and if he could have stayed sober, Walt Michaels was third best.

Rex is the best DC we've ever had, and that is saying something because Buddy Ryan, Bud Carson and Pete Carroll were all excellent DCs for the Jets.  Rex is lacking as a HC.  It's his skill with the defense that saves him and the team.

Parcells? You mean the fat troll who passed on Peyton Manning, that Parcells? Better than Rex? ROTFLMFAO.

Weeb? Who is Weeb Ewbank, never heard of him.

What full-on scorched-earth rebuild are you talking about? They traded Revis, and they're trying to replace Sanchez. Hardly earth-scorching moves. Rex is here either because Woody really likes him, or he's too cheap to buy out his contract. Meanwhile, Idzik has a job to do, too.

Tannenbaum sucked and Rex was in over his head dealing too much on the personnel side of things as a result. Now, Tannenbaum is gone, and Idzik is bringing in his own people to evaluate and acquire talent, leaving Rex to be judged solely on his ability to coach a football team. Which is the way it should be. Idzik may decide to simply bring in his own guy, anyway, but Rex's contract gives him flexibility in that regard. So Dierking's point doesn't fly. Neither does yours.

I was referring to the scorched earth rebuild that will see the Jets field new starters at :inhaaaaaaales: left guard, right guard, tight end, running back, quarterback (likely), wide receiver one (likely; lisfranc), left outside linebacker, left inside linebacker, right outside linebacker, corner two, free safety, and strong safety. Then next year when they cut wide receiver one (definitely) and cornerback one (likely; cap space). That rebuild.

I was referring to the scorched earth rebuild that will see the Jets field new starters at :inhaaaaaaales: left guard, right guard, tight end, running back, quarterback (likely), wide receiver one (likely; lisfranc), left outside linebacker, left inside linebacker, right outside linebacker, corner two, free safety, and strong safety. Then next year when they cut wide receiver one (definitely) and cornerback one (likely; cap space). That rebuild.

CHILDSPLAY!

Every coach in the NFL gets to the last year of their deal, and then is either extended or fired. What's the point? Your need to put an Albert Goldman spin on every little thing points to the weakness of your position.

My position--that it's extremely unlikely Rex gets invited back in 2014--is weak, but the one that insists he can save his job regardless of the win-loss record he puts up is...strong?

My position--that it's extremely unlikely Rex gets invited back in 2014--is weak, but the one that insists he can save his job regardless of the win-loss record he puts up is...strong?

Trying to suggest that the current state of his contract has anything to do with whether he lasts beyond next year is weak. You make a better case as to why the win-loss record may have less to do with whether he stays or go than other factors in this post:

The Jets are rebuilding. It would be unfair to judge the man on wins & losses in a year where they're overhauling the roster, in many spots with inexpensive, one year deals. I think Idzik is smarter than that, and will look at the bigger picture. If the Jets finish 5-11, but the wins come in the last five weeks of the season, Rex probably sticks.

Trying to suggest that the current state of his contract has anything to do with whether he lasts beyond next year is weak. You make a better case as to why the win-loss record may have less to do with whether he stays or go than other factors in this post:

The Jets are rebuilding. It would be unfair to judge the man on wins & losses in a year where they're overhauling the roster, in many spots with inexpensive, one year deals. I think Idzik is smarter than that, and will look at the bigger picture. If the Jets finish 5-11, but the wins come in the last five weeks of the season, Rex probably sticks.

Fair enough, my friend. Were I Rex, and knowing that my boss was about to shred my roster, I would want at least a nominal year tacked on to the end of my current deal, or I'd want to be let go immediately because I'd know I was being set up to fail. Not getting that (or any) assurance strikes me as telling.

Fair enough, my friend. Were I Rex, and knowing that my boss was about to shred my roster, I would want at least a nominal year tacked on to the end of my current deal, or I'd want to be let go immediately because I'd know I was being set up to fail. Not getting that (or any) assurance strikes me as telling.

Woody probably reassured him, but he should know by now, the Jets lie.

Sometimes.

Thats a losers mentality  Rex is a winner.  He would never give up.  He's not a pansy ass like you.

I don't think either case is strong or weak.  I think we don't know.  I think that is the point.  I think Rex is a good coach. Others don't, I get that.   I think that, if he wants one, he will get a job as a DC immediately after he is fired.  OTOH, he certainly isn't a slam dunk to get another head coaching job ASAP.  He waited a long time for this gig and his flaws keep him from being an obvious hire. We'll see what happens, but I think the team will be competitive this year. Not necessarily good, but competitive.

I would think that you would agree that Rex is fortunate that he hasn't been a part of the house cleaning currently underway at Jets' headquarters. He was hardly in a position to ask for another year, and the Jets had no reason to offer him one. It's a non-issue.

I would think that you would agree that Rex is fortunate that he hasn't been a part of the house cleaning currently underway at Jets' headquarters. He was hardly in a position to ask for another year, and the Jets had no reason to offer him one. It's a non-issue.

I'm not sure I'd consider Rex "lucky" to avoid the axe. At least he'd have plausible deniability on his side in his future interviews. If he gets fired after this year, he carries with him three straight bad seasons, and the finger of blame in driving the team into the ground. I wouldn't call the contract a non-issue, either. We disagree on what Rex has to produce to keep his job, but I think we both agree he'd have to be Coach of the Year in either scenario (yours or mine). If that miracle doesn't occur, there will be zero incentive to even consider keeping him around.

I don't think either case is strong or weak. I think we don't know. I think that is the point. I think Rex is a good coach. Others don't, I get that. I think that, if he wants one, he will get a job as a DC immediately after he is fired. OTOH, he certainly isn't a slam dunk to get another head coaching job ASAP. He waited a long time for this gig and his flaws keep him from being an obvious hire. We'll see what happens, but I think the team will be competitive this year. Not necessarily good, but competitive.

I think the position that Rex is a good coach is getting more difficult to support with every day that goes by. He would have been better served getting fired with Tannenbaum and taking the Browns' DC job. It would have left the stink of the last two years with Sanchez and Tannenbaum.

I think the position that Rex is a good coach is getting more difficult to support with every day that goes by. He would have been better served getting fired with Tannenbaum and taking the Browns' DC job. It would have left the stink of the last two years with Sanchez and Tannenbaum.

Yeah.  Rex sure has been a sh*tty coach the last four months.  Ridiculous. 

Yeah. Rex sure has been a sh*tty coach the last four months. Ridiculous.

When they're tearing down the team a coach helped to build four years after said coach takes that job, I don't think that reflects positively on that coach.

When they're tearing down the team a coach helped to build four years after said coach takes that job, I don't think that reflects positively on that coach.

Relevance?  The team wasn't good last year. Should they have left it the same?  Would sending Rex into battle with Pace-Thomas-Moore-Slauson-Sanchez and Powell have indicated that they planned to keep him?  We all knew things had to change.  They didn't change the coach.  They still might, but absolutely nothing has happened to indicate anything one way or the other since Idzik took charge.

Parcells? You mean the fat troll who passed on Peyton Manning, that Parcells? Better than Rex? ROTFLMFAO.

Weeb? Who is Weeb Ewbank, never heard of him.

Your response shows both your youth and your ignorance.  Been a Jets fan for more than a year or two?  Weeb is only the ONE AND ONLY HC of the NY Jets who has won a SB.

If you truly think Rex is a greater HC than Parcells, well then, I can't help you.  

You said the above after saying the quote below? That's not being very consistent.  In one you deny that there is a large-scale rebuild, then in the other you say there is to suit your point.  You're better than that.

slats, on 16 May 2013 - 09:34, said:

snapback.png

What full-on scorched-earth rebuild are you talking about? They traded Revis, and they're trying to replace Sanchez. Hardly earth-scorching moves. Rex is here either because Woody really likes him, or he's too cheap to buy out his contract. Meanwhile, Idzik has a job to do, too. 

It is unfair to judge Rex when the team does not have a qb?

It is unfair to judge Rex when the team is rebuilding?

When exactly would it be fair to judge Rex? When conditions are perfect? This man need to be spoon fed everything?

How about we judge on on what we have seen?

-An inability to have a pulse of a locker room and promote leaders

-Questionable ability to develop talent 

-Questionable ability to maintain his own staff and keep Jet business inside

-Declining performance from the team on the field

-A defensive centric mode in an offense dominated league

He is coaching his last season as a NYJ HC.

They still might, but absolutely nothing has happened to indicate anything one way or the other since Idzik took charge.

Other than flipping his roster, dumping his last pal from Baltimore, loading the roster with one-year rentals, replacing both coordinators, and trading away the best corner in the league. Other than that, Rex is on solid footing.

When exactly would it be fair to judge Rex? When conditions are perfect? This man need to be spoon fed everything?

It really is amazing. It's more delusional than Herm love ever was.

Other than flipping his roster, dumping his last pal from Baltimore, loading the roster with one-year rentals, replacing both coordinators, and trading away the best corner in the league. Other than that, Rex is on solid footing.

His pals did not even want to stick around with him, as they saw the writing on the wall. The rats left the ship and Rex stayed.

You said the above after saying the quote below? That's not being very consistent.  In one you deny that there is a large-scale rebuild, then in the other you say there is to suit your point.  You're better than that.

I agree there's a rebuild going on, I don't buy my good friend T0mShane's contention that its of the "scorched earth" variety. While they're replacing a number of players, some of those replacements should be upgrades. Richardson for DeVito, Milliner for Wilson, Winters for Slausson, Ivory for Greene, maybe even Geno for Sanchez.

Even so, it's clearly a transition period.

As a fan, you're welcome to judge Rex Ryan however and whenever you see fit. Idzik may even come into the job with some preconceived notions about Rex, but if he's good at his job, he'll take the year to evaluate the man in person. He also should have a good idea about how he feels about the roster Rex will be coaching this year. If he doesn't feel it's a strong team (he shouldn't), then I don't think he should be judging Rex on strictly wins and losses (I don't think he will). How the coach handles himself, the team, how they respond to him, do they get better or worse over the course of the season, etc. I expect a lot of factors to come into play.

Your response shows both your youth and your ignorance.  Been a Jets fan for more than a year or two?  Weeb is only the ONE AND ONLY HC of the NY Jets who has won a SB.

If you truly think Rex is a greater HC than Parcells, well then, I can't help you.  

Ive been a Jet fan since 1998 son. I don't need any help.

That is my expectation as well, which is why I believe Rex will be gone. We will see

For the record, I never said he was staying. I figure it to be about a 50-50 proposition for Rex, if not worse. He has a lot to prove, and not a lot of talent on the roster to work with. My only contentions on the matter have been that I don't believe it's already a done deal, and that if/when he gets fired he'll land another job right away, and be able to coach as long as he wants at no lower than the DC level. For all the crap he gets here, he's not neither Kotite, Herm, nor Mangini.

For the record, I never said he was staying. I figure it to be about a 50-50 proposition for Rex, if not worse. He has a lot to prove, and not a lot of talent on the roster to work with. My only contentions on the matter have been that I don't believe it's already a done deal, and that if/when he gets fired he'll land another job right away, and be able to coach as long as he wants at no lower than the DC level. For all the crap he gets here, he's not neither Kotite, Herm, nor Mangini.

There you go, I fixed it for you.

He will absolutely be hired as a DC but it will be at least a few years before he gets another crack at a HC gig.

Both Mangini and Herm got HC jobs after the Jets. Not sure Rex will. It will be interesting

I agree there's a rebuild going on, I don't buy my good friend T0mShane's contention that its of the "scorched earth" variety. While they're replacing a number of players, some of those replacements should be upgrades. Richardson for DeVito, Milliner for Wilson, Winters for Slausson, Ivory for Greene, maybe even Geno for Sanchez.

Even so, it's clearly a transition period.

As a fan, you're welcome to judge Rex Ryan however and whenever you see fit. Idzik may even come into the job with some preconceived notions about Rex, but if he's good at his job, he'll take the year to evaluate the man in person. He also should have a good idea about how he feels about the roster Rex will be coaching this year. If he doesn't feel it's a strong team (he shouldn't), then I don't think he should be judging Rex on strictly wins and losses (I don't think he will). How the coach handles himself, the team, how they respond to him, do they get better or worse over the course of the season, etc. I expect a lot of factors to come into play.

Thanks for your clarification.  Your response raised another question, however.  My question is, When there's a rebuild, isn't the intent always for the replacements to "upgrade" the position over the players they're replacing?

Also, I think the truth lies somewhere between Tom's and your position, but closer to Tom's.  While fairly Revis can't be considered part of the rebuild per se, they didn't have much choice but to lose him.  With Cro to take over Revis' spot, and the addition of Milliner, the CB positions should be in good shape.

I think Tom's position is pretty strongly supported by what the Jets are doing.  They're replacing 2/5, possibly as much as 3/5 of the starters on the OL, and possibly dramatically changed the DL, replacing Pouha with Ellis and Garay, moving Coples to OLB, and maybe going to more 4 man fronts.  There will be 2 new starters at the Safety positions. They brought in 2 new RBs and 2 new QBs to compete.  They let their starting TE leave.  The only reason they didn't bring in more draft picks or FAs is that they didn't have more picks or more cap space.  Idzik is seeking much more competition, which will be a change in approach.  The team will have a major turnover in personnel, with possibly as many as 7-8 new starters on D and the offense could have as many as 3-4 new starters.   In my opinion, the Jets' situation qualifies as a pretty major rebuild.  If that doesn't qualify as a "scorched earth" rebuild, what does?

Archived