Brad Smith may get cut?

BurnleyJet

Quote:

WGR 550 reports WR/KR/QB Brad Smith is "firmly atop" the list of potential cap casualties for the Bills. Smith, 29, has two years left on a four-year, $15 million contract, and the Bills can save $2.75 million against the cap by releasing him. Buffalo used day-two picks on Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin, and signed top UDFA Da'Rick Rogers behind Stevie Johnson and T.J. Graham. Smith doesn't have much of a role anymore. Beat writer Joe Buscaglia also names RT Erik Pears, K Rian Lindell, QB Tarvaris Jackson, and DE Mark Anderson as release candidates. Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3735/brad-smith

Would you have him back?

Any chance he comes back to us?

There's no role for him on the Jets. He a receiver who doesn't catch, a QB who can't throw. If the Jets ever want to run a wildcat play (let's hope not), they can trot out Kerley to handle it. McKnight can handle returns, and -frankly- brings more to the table on offense.

He was great when he was here, I was happy to see him get his payday, but I have no interest in seeing him return.

There's no role for him on the Jets. He a receiver who doesn't catch, a QB who can't throw. If the Jets ever want to run a wildcat play (let's hope not), they can trot out Kerley to handle it. McKnight can handle returns, and -frankly- brings more to the table on offense.

He was great when he was here, I was happy to see him get his payday, but I have no interest in seeing him return.

We never replaced him! Buffalo stole him from us!!!

Totally agree with the thoughts here, there is no role for him here.  He isn't a WR, so I don't see them adding another QB to the mix.  You have to be able to develop a Kickoff returner pretty inexpensively.

I cannot wait for the mini-draft. 

Remember a few years ago when the Jets had gaping holes on the offensive line and everyone was waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

then someone said Ducasse

and we waited and we waited. Then ya know what we did ?

The jets don't really need brad Smith. I'd much rather take a flyer on Brandon Lloyd or someone like that.

I would not mind Brandon

The pats attack the middle of the field they dont throw many deep outs nor do they attack deep much. It was Welker Gronk and Hernandez with a sprinkle here and there to the outside WR's So with that being said big numbers should not be expected from the Pats Wideouts ....Only time a Pats Wideout put up huge numbers was one year with Randy Moss. Belichick will march any stiff out there to clear out for what he does in the middle of the field Brandon just happened to be that guy last year

I think Lloyd would do well here and I would not mind Braylon Lloyd and Kerley in the slot and if Holmes is healthy then he would be a nice added bonus if he keeps his trap shut.

Remember a few years ago when the Jets had gaping holes on the offensive line and everyone was waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting

I cannot say I recall this actually. What year is a few years ago? 

I cannot say I recall this actually. What year is a few years ago? 

2011 when we were getting killed on the offensive line with the loss of Woody, and Slauson taking over for a good run blocking Faneca and no back ups to speak of then Turner our top back up getting hurt and also dealing with the loss of T-Rich and hartsock as blockers in our running game none of which were replaced in the so called mini draft. Which was disgraceful for a team coming off 2 AFCCG appearances amd that was expected to make a few moves to solidify our chances of taking the next step. This was the year that solidified Tannenbaums departure. He was horrific and figured, adding guys like Plax and Mason and Dumping Edwards all while ignoring glaring issues on the offensive line was a good Idea.

He's an easy choice for us to cut. Doesn't have much of an impact in games anymore, we've got a lot of young receivers now after the draft and bringing in undrafted free agents. Many more affordable guys worth getting a shot. Nice guy though.

You mean when they traded for Caleb Schlauderaff and picked up Colin Baxter off waivers?  Is that when you are talking about? 

Totally agree with the thoughts here, there is no role for him here.  He isn't a WR, so I don't see them adding another QB to the mix.  You have to be able to develop a Kickoff returner pretty inexpensively.

He has a role.  Gunner.  Our coverage teams have sucked the last few years.  Part of that has been that our weak WRs and constant injuries required WR that can play WR and didn't allow the luxury of guys like Smith and Wallace Wright

Tannenbaum and Rex HILARIOUSLY overrated Smith as a player.

WTF are you even talking about? They elected not to pay him and let him walk.  You can make a case for Mike T overrating him with the 4th rounder, but what did Rex have to do with it?  During the time he was there they traded for Edwards AND Holmes and let Smith walk to Buffalo.  Guess they thought Smith was a starting level WR.  HILARIOUS indeed. 

#27TheDominator, on 14 May 2013 - 15:08, said:

WTF are you even talking about? They elected not to pay him and let him walk. You can make a case for Mike T overrating him with the 4th rounder, but what did Rex have to do with it? During the time he was there they traded for Edwards AND Holmes and let Smith walk to Buffalo. Guess they thought Smith was a starting level WR. HILARIOUS indeed.

Read what they said about him after he left and how they used Smith as a reason for bringing Tebow here. Unless if you want to argue that they were blowing smoke... Which is possible.

Read what they said about him after he left and how they used Smith as a reason for bringing Tebow here. Unless if you want to argue that they were blowing smoke... Which is possible.

I will always argue that Rex is blowing smoke, though I hardly see it as worth arguing about.  Smith was better at it than Tebow, so I don't see the issue there.  

I will always argue that Rex is blowing smoke, though I hardly see it as worth arguing about.  Smith was better at it than Tebow, so I don't see the issue there.  

The point is the Jets said that they missed Brad Smith so much that it was worth a 4th round pick and 4 million dollars to replace which is utterly moronic, even if Tebow had played as well as Smith did.

You mean when they traded for Caleb Schlauderaff and picked up Colin Baxter off waivers?  Is that when you are talking about? 

He has a role.  Gunner.  Our coverage teams have sucked the last few years.  Part of that has been that our weak WRs and constant injuries required WR that can play WR and didn't allow the luxury of guys like Smith and Wallace Wright

Yeah Dom I think that was the timeline... I also remember the ravens picked up 2 decent O-lineman while we messed with those 2 clowns You know when the Jets were supposed to take the next step :)

Now I happen to be the biggest ever Wallace Wright fan.  But there is no way that the Jets would bring Smith back and pay him the veteran minimum to be just a gunner.

That was the year.

Smith was good enough to get a significant second contract after the Jets. He was also at his best with the Jets, and was very useful when they did those minor things they pulled off.

Smith was actually a pretty valuable player for the Jets considering they couldnt get chunk yardage plays out of the passing game. He provided those.

Absolutely.  but now we have to focus on building a team that can do it without trickery and Tom Foolery.  Guy was fun to watch though.

the only time i really remember this happening the result was we got pete kendall and it plugged a huge hole in our line

loved him when he was here. no attitude, great kick returner and always seemed to get a good chunk of yards out of the seminole package, even tho he did not look very fast.  that being said i do not think he brings much to us. we have a kick returner in mcknight and if for some reason we runa  wildcat/seminole offense kerley can do it.  wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Now I happen to be the biggest ever Wallace Wright fan.  But there is no way that the Jets would bring Smith back and pay him the veteran minimum to be just a gunner.

Good God no.  I don't want him back, but it was something those guys provided that hasn't really been replaced and the injuries ruined guys that had taken over (Trufant for one).

Absolutely.  but now we have to focus on building a team that can do it without trickery and Tom Foolery.  Guy was fun to watch though.

"Tom Foolery" is an underused phrase.

+1 

A friend used "flimflam" the other day while threatening somebody.  It was awesome. 

Archived