Jets Make Roster Moves

JetNation

The New York Jets made the following announcement regarding roster moves today:

Following the conclusion of the Jets’ rookie minicamp today, the team announced the signing of four tryout players and the release of three undrafted free agents.

The signed tryout players are:

■ DT Lanier Coleman, Louisiana-Lafayette

■ K Brett Maher, Nebraska

■ WR Thomas Mayo, California (Pa.)

■ OLB Sean Progar-Jackson, Northern Illinois

The released players are:

■ K Derek Dimke, Illinois

■ DT Roosevelt Holliday, Eastern Illinois

■ WR Royce Pollard, Hawai‘i

damn...cant believe they let royce pollard go. i had such high hopes he would rejuvenate our receiving corps:/

@least they picked up progar-jackson, i can honestly say im psyched abt this move.

K Brett Maher, Nebraska:  His agent says the Jets signed him to a 3 year contract, maybe he is more than a tryout player.

Maher’s agent, Robert Roche, told PFT that Maher has signed a three-year deal with the Jets.

Brett Maher continued Nebraska's
long line of outstanding kickers and punters over the past two seasons. Maher
completed his Husker career in 2012, and he left a significant mark in the NU
record book with his performance the past two seasons.

A Kearney native, Maher was one
of five former walk-ons who were awarded a scholarship for the 2012 season.
Maher made 20-of-27 field goals, while connecting on all 59 of his PAT attempts.
His 20 field goals as a senior are second on the NU season chart, bettering his
2011 total by one. Maher scored 119 points to set a Nebraska record for most
points scored in a season by a kicker. He ranked third overall in the Big Ten in
scoring and first among kickers.

In 2012, Maher had four games
with three field goals, giving him six games with three or more field goals in
his career. He also connected on three field goals beyond 50 yards this season,
giving him six career field goals of at least 50 yards. Maher's efforts as a
kicker earned him first-team All-Big Ten honors for the second straight season
and also the Bakken-Andersen Big Ten Kicker-of-the-Year Award for the second
straight season.

Maher also handled the punting
duties the past two seasons and averaged 41.8 yards per punt in 2012. He placed
18 punts inside the opponent 20, while also booming 17 punts of at least 50
yards. He was a second-team All-Big Ten choice as a punter by the coaches. Maher
also handled kickoff duties and had 57 touchbacks in 96 kickoffs in

Saw this from tweets, @danhoppen : Former #Huskers kicker Brett Maher made 14 of his 15 kicks at the NFL Combine. Nice showing by him, should be one of the first kickers taken 2 months 17 days ago       

Interesting we would sign a K/P to a three year deal. I thought Malone did a great job for us last year, and Folk was the least of our special teams worries.

Perhaps this is one of those 'competition' guys we can stash for cheap and have backup both spots.

Interesting we would sign a K/P to a three year deal. I thought Malone did a great job for us last year, and Folk was the least of our special teams worries.

Perhaps this is one of those 'competition' guys we can stash for cheap and have backup both spots.

As long as there's no guaranteed money involved, which I'm sure there isn't for a guy who was a tryout player, it doesn't really make a difference.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 3-year deal at the minimum salary for each year.  In a case like that, the Jets have no reason not to make this deal and it makes no difference to them if they send him packing at any point this summer.  On the flip side, if he works out and makes the roster, at least they've already got him locked in for a while.

The only thing I'd really take from it is the fact that they could even be bothered to do that tells you he might be more than your standard UDFA camp leg and could actually have a shot to make the team.

Archived