The "3 Year Rule" Grade Our 2010 Draft Picks

Villain The Foe

You have a draft like that and then you get fired. That's pretty much how that works.

couldnt have said it any better. i wonder how many execs. around the league thought tanny mustve been under woodys desk to keep his job;)

1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson

2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse

4th Round: RB Joe McKnight

5th Round: FB John Connor

What is your individual/overall grade? 

This only tells part of the story since there were a bunch of Trader Mike deals in this draft.  

Our original draft picks were:

- Round 1 #29 Kyle Wilson

- Round 2 #61 Vladimir Ducasse

- Round 3 #92 traded to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards

- Round 4 #127 downgraded to Philadelphia's round 5 pick #155 for Lito Sheppard in 2009.  Then traded that #155 pick for Santonio Holmes.

- Round 5 #160 traded to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards

- Round 6 #198 traded to Carolina to move up in round 4 (see below)

- Round 7 #236 traded to Seattle in the Leon Washington trade

And to that we added:

- Round 4 #124 for Kerry Rhodes (then we traded that pick #124 plus our 6th round pick #198) for pick #112 (Joe McKnight).  

- Round 5 #139 (John Conner) for Leon Washington and a 2011 7th round pick (Greg McElroy);

NET FOR 2010 DRAFT(players in boldface above):

- Kyle Wilson

- Vladimir Ducasse

- Braylon Edwards

- Santonio Holmes

- Joe McKnight (subtract Kerry Rhodes)

- John Conner + Greg McElroy (subtract Leon Washington)

- past (2009) use of Lito Sheppard (was released before the 2010 draft)

So I don't know what some of you guys are griping about.  We got a round 1 CB so then we'd have 3 of them like every great defense - and every great defensive coach - needs.  On offense we added a QB, a RB, a FB and a G to block for them, and a pair of stud veteran WRs.  These future core building blocks are why our team was in such great shape in 2011 and beyond.  All we gave away was an overpaid, gay safety and a gimpy 3rd down back.

This only tells part of the story since there were a bunch of Trader Mike deals in this draft.

Our original draft picks were:

- Round 1 #29 Kyle Wilson

- Round 2 #61 Vladimir Ducasse

- Round 3 #92 traded to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards

- Round 4 #127 downgraded to Philadelphia's round 5 pick #155 for Lito Sheppard in 2009. Then traded that #155 pick for Santonio Holmes.

- Round 5 #160 traded to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards

- Round 6 #198 traded to Carolina to move up in round 4 (see below)

- Round 7 #236 traded to Seattle in the Leon Washington trade

And to that we added:

- Round 4 #124 for Kerry Rhodes (then we traded that pick #124 plus our 6th round pick #198) for pick #112 (Joe McKnight).

- Round 5 #139 (John Conner) for Leon Washington and a 2011 7th round pick (Greg McElroy);

NET FOR 2010 DRAFT(players in boldface above):

- Kyle Wilson

- Vladimir Ducasse

- Braylon Edwards

- Santonio Holmes

- Joe McKnight (subtract Kerry Rhodes)

- John Conner + Greg McElroy (subtract Leon Washington)

- past (2009) use of Lito Sheppard (was released before the 2010 draft)

So I don't know what some of you guys are griping about. We got a round 1 CB so then we'd have 3 of them like every great defense - and every great defensive coach - needs. On offense we added a QB, a RB, a FB and a G to block for them, and a pair of stud veteran WRs. These future core building blocks are why our team was in such great shape in 2011 and beyond. All we gave away was an overpaid, gay safety and a gimpy 3rd down back.

Spot on, it's not the philosophy of the picks, it's the talent he selected or the lack of it. I even heard that the Jets thought of taking Vlad in the first.

Wilson is just about OK, although I don't see us resigning him unless he improves this year. Vlad well I think the guys a bust, McKnight is a KR and failed 3rd down back.

It's a poor Draft, I think last years and this years will look a whole lot better than that in. 3 years.

K WILSON= D

Not a good FIRST round pick.

Id give him a C if he was a 2nd, a B- if he was a 3rd, a B+ if he was a 4th, and so on.

They should pack 10-15lbs on him and play him at FS...he is a decent tackler, and I think he would shine a little with making plays on the ball in front of him. I dare to say he would have a little "ballhawk" in him.

VLAD= D-

Just a bad pick. This guy would be a decent pick in the 5th. Could you imagine if Oday and Campbell come in and play like him...we're f#cked!

Just so you dont think Im talking out of my ass and just sh*tting on the pick. He's had a few decent games/swing tackle blocks.

I think his greatest accomplishment as a Jet is winning ugliest rookie.

McKNIGHT= C+

The guys still a probowl kick returner and can remain one if healthy.

Im so disappointed with his inability to get on the field. I just cant imagine why it wouldnt have been benefitial to get this guy some screen passes in the last 2 years. And with Ivory/Goodson, barring injury...he may be done as a Jet 8(

CONNER= LOL/SMH

This guy hit the RB wall 2 yrs into his career...see grade.

BUT HOLY sh*t IF SPERMS REVISION DOESNT COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FACE OF THIS YEARS DRAFT!!!

Not a great draft. Traded away most of the picks. Like sperm showed, it was for a couple of players who really helped the Jets in 2010.

Kyle Wilson - B-: hasnt turned into an elite corner or anything like that but has been a staple in the league's best pass defense for 3 years. Has filled in adequately during injuries as the #2 guy but is a solid nickel/slot corner which he seems much better suited for. His play probably grades out around a C, but if you're grading the actual draft, it wasnt a terrible pick like everyone here likes to get all up in arms about. Go look at the players selected after Kyle Wilson, not much there in a terrible draft.

Vlad - F: guy just sucks.

Joe McKnight: B+: find the leagues best kicker returner in the 4th round is a solid pick

John Connor D-: not a F because he actually made the team and saw the field for a 5th pick isnt bad.

Not a great draft. Traded away most of the picks. Like sperm showed, it was for a couple of players who really helped the Jets in 2010.

Kyle Wilson - B-: hasnt turned into an elite corner or anything like that but has been a staple in the league's best pass defense for 3 years. Has filled in adequately during injuries as the #2 guy but is a solid nickel/slot corner which he seems much better suited for. His play probably grades out around a C, but if you're grading the actual draft, it wasnt a terrible pick like everyone here likes to get all up in arms about. Go look at the players selected after Kyle Wilson, not much there in a terrible draft.

Joe McKnight: B+: find the leagues best kicker returner in the 4th round is a solid pick

John Connor D-: not a F because he actually made the team and saw the field for a 5th pick isnt bad.

None of those players will see a second contract from the Jets. It's an epic fail.

We traded up for McKnight bye cost us more than a 4th rd pick and has been too much of a dolt to learn the offense. Kyle Wilson drafted in the first round was our starting corner his rookie year. He was so bad we resigned Cromartie. A first round nickel corner is not a B- in my neighborhood. Vlad and Connor I agree with.

Ok for real

1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson - D has the chance to improve once he learns to turn his head
2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse - F Should not be on any football team at this point
4th Round: RB Joe McKnight - D+ Pussy Fumbler - Can't catch a punt - Solid KO returner would be nice if we could rely on him to return punts, thats why the D+
5th Round: FB John Connor - F lol

None of those players will see a second contract from the Jets. It's an epic fail.

Holmes got an extension if you're looking at it from a whole.  Wilson might.  Who knows.  sh*tty draft.  Never said different.

We traded up for McKnight bye cost us more than a 4th rd pick and has been too much of a dolt to learn the offense. Kyle Wilson drafted in the first round was our starting corner his rookie year. He was so bad we resigned Cromartie. A first round nickel corner is not a B- in my neighborhood. Vlad and Connor I agree with.

Wrong. Cro was traded for before Wilson was drafted.  The same offseason Revis held out.

s

Your neighborhood is probably awesome but Wilson was a decent pick, IMO for where he was selected, what he's contributes to the league best pass D and if you look at who was drafted after him, they all suck until you get to Gronk, who most people though the Pats reached for at the time.

Hard to put value on a returner but McKnight was giving the Jets the best field position in the league for a while there, when you're offense is complete dog sh*t, field position is a big deal.  I agree though, trading up for him in hindsight was silly considering his lack of contribution on offense. 

McKnight was picked to be Leon's replacement as a third down guy and could never get on the field.

Kinda new the Jets scouting was sh*t then...he was the same exact guy at USC as he is now. All pazaz no production.

I agree in bashing this draft, but I don't see bashing the Connor pick so much.  The guy is still in the league and was only cut because he was hurt and they needed the roster spot.  For a fifth you got pretty much what you'd expect.  If you are going to bash him then Wilson would deserve a higher grade - and he doesn't.  Problem is that a decent 5th round pick does nothing to offset middling and sh*tty picks at the top of the draft.  Especially with limited selections.  The guy gets too much hate because of all the Rex jibber jabber. 

Holmes got an extension if you're looking at it from a whole.  Wilson might.  Who knows.  sh*tty draft.  Never said different.

Wrong. Cro was traded for before Wilson was drafted.  The same offseason Revis held out.

s

Your neighborhood is probably awesome but Wilson was a decent pick, IMO for where he was selected, what he's contributes to the league best pass D and if you look at who was drafted after him, they all suck until you get to Gronk, who most people though the Pats reached for at the time.

Hard to put value on a returner but McKnight was giving the Jets the best field position in the league for a while there, when you're offense is complete dog sh*t, field position is a big deal.  I agree though, trading up for him in hindsight was silly considering his lack of contribution on offense. 

He's right.  He said Wilson was so bad we re-signed Cromartie (as a consolation prize to going after Asomugha).

We first traded for Cromartie before we drafted Wilson, but if Wilson looked like a first round CB we never would have re-signed him.  

Of course with the way Tannenbaum threw so much money at bad who knows what other disaster we'd be locked into.  At least Cro has lived up to the big money he was signed to.

He's right.  He said Wilson was so bad we re-signed Cromartie (as a consolation prize to going after Asomugha).

We first traded for Cromartie before we drafted Wilson, but if Wilson looked like a first round CB we never would have re-signed him.  

Of course with the way Tannenbaum threw so much money at bad who knows what other disaster we'd be locked into.  At least Cro has lived up to the big money he was signed to.

Ah, gotcha, misunderstood.  Good point.  Cro got an extension that probably wouldnt have come if Wilson was playing a #1 status.  However, you do have to wonder how much of the Revis uncertainty long term with the Jets factored into that decision.

Ah, gotcha, misunderstood.  Good point.  Cro got an extension that probably wouldnt have come if Wilson was playing a #1 status.  However, you do have to wonder how much of the Revis uncertainty long term with the Jets factored into that decision.

I'm sure it played some factor.  I don't believe we drafted a CB in round 1 to cover a 3rd WR because of the Indy AFCCG.  What if Wilson wasn't there or what if someone they liked better was? Would we have reached for a CB at all costs? Possibly, but I don't think so.  At the time we made the pick, even commentators who normally rip the Jets at every possible time were gushing over what a steal we got that late in the round.  

So at the time we traded for Cromartie, we'd just dropped Lito and had little else.  My guess is if Tannenbaum knew for certain that we'd be drafting Wilson in round 1 that he wouldn't have traded for Cromartie in the first place.

McKnight was picked to be Leon's replacement as a third down guy and could never get on the field.

Kinda new the Jets scouting was sh*t then...he was the same exact guy at USC as he is now. All pazaz no production.

Biggest issue I had with Tanny was this lose player A, draft player B to be his "replacement" strategy. You whiff on BPA talent when you do that stupid sh*t.

Here's my draft grade: LMFAO

Individual/overall grade monkey.

1st Round: CB Kyle Wilson - Wokka

2nd Round: G Vladimir Ducasse - Wokka

4th Round: RB Joe McKnight - Wokka

5th Round: FB John Connor - Wokka

LMFAO

Archived