The "3 Year Rule" Grade Our 2010 Draft Picks

Villain The Foe

I'm sure it played some factor.  I don't believe we drafted a CB in round 1 to cover a 3rd WR because of the Indy AFCCG.  What if Wilson wasn't there or what if someone they liked better was? Would we have reached for a CB at all costs? Possibly, but I don't think so.  At the time we made the pick, even commentators who normally rip the Jets at every possible time were gushing over what a steal we got that late in the round.  

So at the time we traded for Cromartie, we'd just dropped Lito and had little else.  My guess is if Tannenbaum knew for certain that we'd be drafting Wilson in round 1 that he wouldn't have traded for Cromartie in the first place.

I was going to say, I thought it was a BAP type pick as many people had Wilson as the best CB in the draft after Haden.  Especially for man press which we know Rex covets.  That was such a sh*tty draft all together, thats its hard to think the Jets pigeon holed themselves into drafting on need at all.  

However, I dont know that I agree that a late 1st round pick deters you away from trying to bolster your secondary with a talent like Cro.  It was relatively a low cost for his talent level.  And I do think the fact that Manning picking the Jets apart in the 2nd half did have an influence on putting a premium on CB.  That and knowing the conference went through Brady and Manning, having an extra CB around probably couldnt hurt.  

I was going to say, I thought it was a BAP type pick as many people had Wilson as the best CB in the draft after Haden.  Especially for man press which we know Rex covets.  That was such a sh*tty draft all together, thats its hard to think the Jets pigeon holed themselves into drafting on need at all.  

However, I dont know that I agree that a late 1st round pick deters you away from trying to bolster your secondary with a talent like Cro.  It was relatively a low cost for his talent level.  And I do think the fact that Manning picking the Jets apart in the 2nd half did have an influence on putting a premium on CB.  That and knowing the conference went through Brady and Manning, having an extra CB around probably couldnt hurt.  

As much as people understandably facepalm using our 6th round pick to trade up for McKnight, it's really no worse than if we'd stayed pat and taken him.  Look at who was available at pick 198 and later.  You'd need a time machine to make a good pick there.

You have a draft like that and then you get fired.  That's pretty much how that works.

yeah i say this is spot on. our 2010 draft might be top 3 in the worst jets drafts ever.  i'm too lazy to look up why (and i forget exactly what picks we traded for who) but we didnt have too many draft picks this year and we failed big time with the ones we had. iirc we picked up cromartie this year for future picks so at least we had that.

if we go back to the 2010 draft, it's just a weak group overall. Yes we can nitpick productive players here and there... but it's hard. 

for example Kyle Wilson went 1.29. 

The next few picks: 

1.30 - Jahvid Best (concussions)

1.31 - Jerry Hughes (bust)

1.32 - Patrick Robinson (starter with NO) 

2.1 - Rodger Saffold (RT starter with STL)

2.2 - Chris Cook (bust)

2.3  - Brian Price (knee injuries)

2.4 - Dexter McCluster (3rd down back/ST with KC) 

2.5 - Nate Allen (backup with PHI) 

2.6 - T.J. Ward (starting safety with CLE)

2.7 - Arrelious Benn (just traded to PHI)

so how many of those players are better than Kyle Wilson? Are any of them better? Maybe Patrick robinson is clearly better. But he's not a Pro Bowler (or even close). Rodger Saffold was such a great pick that the Rams signed Jake Long to play left tackle.

To say the 2010 draft sucked is true but there's no context there. I wonder if Idzik could have done better than Tanny, it was a bad situation and alot of bad choices. 

The same is true of Vlad's pick by the way. Jon Asamoah and Jared Veldheer were taken early 3rd but by and large these were weak picks in a draft full of weak picks. If you look at the next 10 picks and there's only 2 good players that's not necessarily an indictment of the decision makers. it's an indictment of the quality of that draft class. 

I agree in bashing this draft, but I don't see bashing the Connor pick so much.  The guy is still in the league and was only cut because he was hurt and they needed the roster spot.  For a fifth you got pretty much what you'd expect.  If you are going to bash him then Wilson would deserve a higher grade - and he doesn't.  Problem is that a decent 5th round pick does nothing to offset middling and sh*tty picks at the top of the draft.  Especially with limited selections.  The guy gets too much hate because of all the Rex jibber jabber. 

A fullback drafted in the 5th you expect to be around after 3 years. It's like a kicker. Unfortunately we set the bar really, really, low since we live with a franchise who takes kickers that can't stick in the second and a fullback(B.J. Askew) in the 3rd who's greatest contribution was taking his shirt off in N.E. one time while it was cold.

if we go back to the 2010 draft, it's just a weak group overall. Yes we can nitpick productive players here and there... but it's hard.

The next few picks:

2.2 - Chris Cook (bust)

2.3 - Brian Price (knee injuries)

so how many of those players are better than Kyle Wilson? Are any of them better? Maybe Patrick robinson is clearly better. But he's not a Pro Bowler (or even close). Rodger Saffold was such a great pick that the Rams signed Jake Long to play left tackle.

To say the 2010 draft sucked is true but there's no context there. I wonder if Idzik could have done better than Tanny, it was a bad situation and alot of bad choices.

The same is true of Vlad's pick by the way. Jon Asamoah and Jared Veldheer were taken early 3rd but by and large these were weak picks in a draft full of weak picks. If you look at the next 10 picks and there's only 2 good players that's not necessarily an indictment of the decision makers. it's an indictment of the quality of that draft class.

Poor Mike Tannenbaum, victimized by all those lousy draft classes.

The next few picks: 

2.2 - Chris Cook (bust)

2.3  - Brian Price (knee injuries)

Hard to blame the draft class as a whole...in hindsight there was talent available...wish we had a fly on the wall to see the Jets draft board...I thought the rumor was they liked either CB (Wilson or McCourty) or the DL Odrick but Tanny was willing to pick Vlad :sign0182:  in the first if none were left...

Makes a good argument for drafting BPA in the early rounds...

Poor Mike Tannenbaum, victimized by all those lousy draft classes.

Tannenbaum was done in by Sanchez. If Mark Sanchez played well, he'd still have a job. My point is that we look at everything with a Jets-centric point of view. If everyone in the league got busts out of 2010 are they all bad GMs?

FWIW the Gholston and Drob drafts were similar stories. bad picks in bad drafts. The Jets could have gotten Sedrick Ellis or Jimmy Kennedy instead. But who cares? 

On the other hand picking Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp or Kenny Obrien over Marino  were much worse draft mistakes, because of the opportunity lost. Objectively Kyle Brady and Ken Obrien were better players than Kyle Wilson if we are comparing apples to apples.

But there was more opportunity missed in the Kyle Brady and Kenny Obrien drafts.  In those years the Jets had a chance at greatness. I don't think the 2010 draft was great for anyone, really. 

Hard to blame the draft class as a whole...in hindsight there was talent available...wish we had a fly on the wall to see the Jets draft board...I thought the rumor was they liked either CB (Wilson or McCourty) or the DL Odrick but Tanny was willing to pick Vlad :sign0182:  in the first if none were left...

Makes a good argument for drafting BPA in the early rounds...

look at the list, it was just a bad draft. 

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2010

it was so bad, Tebow went in the first round. 

Bad draft compared to what?  Pro bowlers?  Serviceable starters?  Don't really see this draft any different than 2009 or 2011...maybe your aware of a study or something on the 2010 draft class?

Really hard to judge how the Jets woulda/coulda/shoulda drafted in 2010 without knowing how they set up their board...all I know...with the hindsight lens...the players they did draft were not worth where they were picked...

Some teams found some nice players in this draft...one team in our own division found three Pro Bowlers...now that required some cherry picking but to give Tanny/Jets scouts a pass because of a weak draft class just seems like excuse making.

Still think this makes a case for BPA rather than drafting for need... 

According to Rex Kyle Wilson > Joe Haden and Rob wanted him more also. i would love to have seen that draft board to see if Tanny agreed since Rex appeared to have far more input then should have ever been allowed

Bad draft compared to what?  Pro bowlers?  Serviceable starters?  Don't really see this draft any different than 2009 or 2011..

Compare 2010 to 2009, it's a way better year in 09. the 1.29 that year was Hakeem Nicks. The Tim Tebow slot was Clay Matthews. THe Vlad slot was Phil Loadholt.  Even the Browns got Alex Mack a pro bowl center in their Sanchez trade. There was just way more quality in that draft. 

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2009

what I'm trying to say is that every draft class has different potential. the quality varies greatly from year to year, kinda like wine. And like wine you might not know until many years later what the real quality was at the time you made the picks.

We might be able to nitpick a few 2010 picks that were good but the class as a whole stunk. Im not giving anyone a pass but it needs to be said.  even the QBs were terrible with Tebow and Clausen 2,3 behind Bradford. 

According to Rex Kyle Wilson > Joe Haden and Rob wanted him more also. i would love to have seen that draft board to see if Tanny agreed since Rex appeared to have far more input then should have ever been allowed

my question is simple if Kyle Wilson isn't the pick, who should it be? Patrick Robinson? And follow up question does it make a difference? Robinson might be better than Wilson but neither is gonna prevent the Milliner pick in 2013, post Revis trade. 

Compare 2010 to 2009, it's a way better year in 09. the 1.29 that year was Hakeem Nicks. The Tim Tebow slot was Clay Matthews. THe Vlad slot was Phil Loadholt.  Even the Browns got Alex Mack a pro bowl center in their Sanchez trade. There was just way more quality in that draft. 

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2009

what I'm trying to say is that every draft class has different potential. the quality varies greatly from year to year, kinda like wine. And like wine you might not know until many years later what the real quality was at the time you made the picks.

We might be able to nitpick a few 2010 picks that were good but the class as a whole stunk. Im not giving anyone a pass but it needs to be said.  

I like the analogy to wine...still...the Jets 2010 draft sucked on all levels...2009 not much better...I could go on but at least Tanny's gone...now the question I have left...did the scouts establish a good board?  Did Tanny draft more on need versus BPA?  or maybe Rex had too much influence in the decision making?

Probably never find out...time will tell on Idzik...

my question is simple if Kyle Wilson isn't the pick, who should it be? Patrick Robinson? And follow up question does it make a difference? Robinson might be better than Wilson but neither is gonna prevent the Milliner pick in 2013, post Revis trade. 

That's what I mean by drafting for need...IIRC...our needs were OT, DT, and DB...maybe we had higher rated players still on the board but didn't address a need...why not just stockpile talent?

That's what I mean by drafting for need...IIRC...our needs were OT, DT, and DB...maybe we had higher rated players still on the board but didn't address a need...why not just stockpile talent?

It's possible Kyle Wilson was BAP and Need. He had a great Senior Bowl, a very good combine and mocks had him going higher in the round. The point I'm trying to make is if the Jets took Rodger Saffold instead it doesn't really matter. It was just a wack draft. it happens. 

if it makes you feel better the Sheldon Richardson pick was clearly BAP. No way DL was a 1.13 need. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I take more issue with the Vlad pick and his apparent first round grade. You can't completely whiff on a guard that high in the draft. I hope a corner taken high pans out but I know just like a receiver anything outside of the rare Calvin Johnson or Patrick Peterson coming out the chances aren't great you're getting that true #1.

Why do you people keep believing what Rex says?  He always talks up whoever he gets.  This is not new.  

4 picks is an D right there

wilson = C+

ducasse = D+ only because he is still on team

Mcknight = C+ because he did lead the NFL in a category, but is a brutal fumble waiting to happen

connor= F, he's out of the leagur, right ?

Tannenbaum was done in by Sanchez. If Mark Sanchez played well, he'd still have a job. My point is that we look at everything with a Jets-centric point of view. If everyone in the league got busts out of 2010 are they all bad GMs?

FWIW the Gholston and Drob drafts were similar stories. bad picks in bad drafts. The Jets could have gotten Sedrick Ellis or Jimmy Kennedy instead. But who cares? 

On the other hand picking Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp or Kenny Obrien over Marino  were much worse draft mistakes, because of the opportunity lost. Objectively Kyle Brady and Ken Obrien were better players than Kyle Wilson if we are comparing apples to apples.

But there was more opportunity missed in the Kyle Brady and Kenny Obrien drafts.  In those years the Jets had a chance at greatness. I don't think the 2010 draft was great for anyone, really. 

If that's true, then thank God Sanchez sucks or we'd still be stuck with that moron Tanny and have no hope of turning things around.

Why do you people keep believing what Rex says? He always talks up whoever he gets. This is not new.

Is this case I actually think he believed it being that he quoted his brother and unintentionally threw him under the bus like the imbecile he is.

Wilson = C-  been watching him since he played at piscataway high and i feel he had more talent then..but now he is just a mediocre(if that) cb..guess that is worth a C-

Ducasse = D-  he wont be a Jet next season and hasn't done a thing yet but prevent himself from being cut, which is barely worth a D- but I'll give it to him

Mcknight = C  because he pretty damn good at kick off returns, C+ if he woulda stepped up n played some defense last year or done a tad more at RB

Connor= F  because he blows, he would of got a big fat ZERO but he had a pretty cool nickname being the terminator

Tannenbaum was done in by Sanchez. If Mark Sanchez played well, he'd still have a job.

Since the implementation of the rookie wage scale, if you let any one (1) player ruin your franchise, it's because you suck at your job.

Archived