Costello has seen enough. Ready to annoint Eugeno the starter.

Pac

Oh man Geno completed passes with practice players against practice players "instant starter"

Mark Sanchez somehow completes passes with practice players against NFL starters "worset qb ever"

I dont see how its genos job to lose. Im pretty sure they are going to go with whoever is the best QB and sorry to say to some of guys but thats deff

Sanchez. As much as you guys keep thinking only about this last season, im sure John idzik isnt. New year new team

Since that was probly the worst jet team iv seen take the field in a long time and it had little to do with what qb was taking snaps

Sanchez has been a bottom 5 QB all 4 years in the league.  It wasn't just 2012 that everyone suddenly had this awakening that Sanchez is terrible.  We all hoped he would take the next step and he never did.  New regimes mean new QB's and we already have added 2 more to the roster that are better than Sanchez.  He's done-zo.

I can easily counter the last point you made by saying:  It doesn't matter who was out there trying to catch passes from Sanchez.  He'd still find new ways to overthrow, underthrow or fail to lead guys properly like he has his entire career.  We once had a poster here actually say "if Sanchez had a Megatron or 2 I think he'd be a good QB".  LOL.  Can't make that kind of stuff up. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King should have written that the Jets would eat $6 mil of Sanchez' contract to dump him if any team in the NFL was interested.

If the Jets had a trade partner Sanchez would be gone by now. They need to wait until the summer for teams to get a look at young players and mediocre starters before they will make a play on a Sanchez.

That's depressing, but true. With all the dreck at QB, combined with all the egomaniacal head coaches out there, you'd think somebody would take a flier on him at $2.8ish, no?

Oh man Geno completed passes with practice players against practice players "instant starter"

Mark Sanchez somehow completes passes with practice players against NFL starters "worset qb ever"

I dont see how its genos job to lose. Im pretty sure they are going to go with whoever is the best QB and sorry to say to some of guys but thats deff

Sanchez. As much as you guys keep thinking only about this last season, im sure John idzik isnt. New year new team

Since that was probly the worst jet team iv seen take the field in a long time and it had little to do with what qb was taking snaps

Great post. Don't be a stranger, JollyGreen.

While he will definitely take his time with the decision, I agree Sanchez is done as a Jet and everything we have heard about Geno this far indicates that he is about ready to take over especially considering that his mini-camp numbers are much better than Sanchez's has ever been. The only thing that worries me about him is his tendency to fumble in college other than that I would give him the nod if he continues to perform this way in practice and does well during preseason games against the 1st teamers

he played shotgun all the time.  also there were a lot of pitches and reverses and such.  I am sure some fumbles came out of the nature of the system.  If he fumbles less than Sanchez, fine, because i am sure he will have fewer INTs.

You seriously need to wake up...I defended Sanchez the last three years believing that he could turn it around somehow but he just seems to implode and the most crucial moments (1st half of AFC championship vs steelers, Monday night 2010 vs patriots, thanksgiving vs Patriots and many more those are just wat stand out most to me). Yes he did not have any weapons last year and the oline sucked but explain the two years prior (excluding rookie year because it was his rookie season). We need a QB that thrives in crucial moments not one that implodes .....people like to make the Eli comparison in which Sanchez's numbers the past four years are similar to Eli and it took Eli four years to get it together but I simply contend that Eli is not a good QB himself he just has great weapons around him that make up for his suckage.

I was talking to a couple of West Virginia fans on Saturday night who told me not to get my hopes up about Geno being a great pro, that so much of his success was because of Tavon Austin.

Me:  "He's got to be better than Sanchez."

WVU guy:  ".........Ok, good point."

Austin is small and Bailey is not so fast.  That indicates to me that Geno had to be pretty accurate.

His offense has been top 10 every year except for one. Please stop or if you really do feel that way at least back it up so I can understand where you're coming from. Also tell me which available OC would have been better.

Norv turner was avail and he is prob one of the best offensive play callers in the NFL!

I'm not saying mArty is bad all I'm saying the last 6 yrs he has been in Philly where Andy Reid is and that's Andy's offense . Just like with mike petitione and Rex mile was the d cord but everyone knows its Rex!

So we don't know how good Marty is . I'm just trying not to get to excited here about all this .

I just don't know that you can wait 3 years in the NFL these days.  I would see how this season goes, and if Geno doesn't show signs that he's the franchise guy, even in Year 1, you go draft another QB with that 1st or even 2nd rounder in the 2014 draft while we have what should be a top 10 pick or so.  We shouldn't wait any more than 2 years either way.  That's how you end up getting stuck with a guy like Sanchez for 4+ years when you could have already upgraded at the position.

There's nothing wrong with stockpiling QB's, than trading them away to teams who think they can use one that you have.  We only used a 2nd rounder on Geno so it wouldn't be seen as some huge failure by Idzik.  We know finding your franchise QB is what matters most by far so you have to bite the bullet and keep drafting QB's until you find your guy.

I was joking. Sort of. I just want Sanchez gone. He is bad for the team at this point. And Geno, I have hopes he could be the real deal. He was the favorite to go number 1 this year, and all of a sudden cause he slips to us in the second he is being called all sorts of mean names by the stupid folks who hate on the Jets for no real reason.

But I am with you. I am good with us drafting a QB every year until one sticks. Its not just a first rounder that could turn into something big.

I know you are very high on Smith.  One of the reasons I'm not is because of what you just posted.  At the end of the season, when Geno looked like the fist pick in the draft, or if he slipped might wind up with the Jets at 9, I went to a Mountaineers boards, just to see what they were saying about him.

I was very surprised.  Most college fans are crazy loyal to players that look like they might be first rounders, especially when they look like top ten'ers. 

In general,  they seemed to be luke warm about him.  That put up  a lot of red flags to me.

I'm not going to attack him every time his name comes up, I honestly hope he is great, and he did seem to have a nice rookie camp,  but I'm not running victory laps just yet.

well, he had just lost a bowl game to Syracuse.  If I were a WVU fan I would probably sh*t away all the good things I felt after a Bowl loss.  WVU had a worse defense than Chaminade H. S.  Very hard to play for a team that gives up points EVERY possession.

Norv turner was avail and he is prob one of the best offensive play callers in the NFL!

I'm not saying mArty is bad all I'm saying the last 6 yrs he has been in Philly where Andy Reid is and that's Andy's offense . Just like with mike petitione and Rex mile was the d cord but everyone knows its Rex!

So we don't know how good Marty is . I'm just trying not to get to excited here about all this .

Your point is duly noted,however, Norv Turner would have probably refused the Jets interview or job because of problems he had with Rex based on comments Rex continuously made about being passed up for the SD job and how he oils have done of given the job while Norv wasted the talent he was given ....I just can't see those two getting along

And the Jets care because? If Sanchez gets cut or traded then Jeff Garica won't have any reservations about signing with the Jets

And he will no longer feel obliged to lie for the guy who was paying him

That's depressing, but true. With all the dreck at QB, combined with all the egomaniacal head coaches out there, you'd think somebody would take a flier on him at $2.8ish, no?

Yes, I am sure there are several HCs out there who are sure they could "fix" him, a la Gholston with Rex.  I actually don't see any thing that Sanchez does out there that i would call adequate.  Except fumble.  He is an adequate fumbler.  Actually, he is a fabulous fumbler.

Austin is small and Bailey is not so fast.  That indicates to me that Geno had to be pretty accurate.

I would think so too.  I just found it odd how not excited about Geno these WVU fans were.  Not much else to say about that until we see what he's got.

doing this on my phone I can't break it down like I would like to but I'm not sure Turner is the better candidate. First off no other coach in the NFL has hopped around the carousel as much as Turner. You can't go apples apples with him abd Marty bc Norv's been around a little longer in multiple HC'ing roles. But take away the two Super Bowl wins in the early 90's and Norv's resume is very pedestrian. If I had more time I'd like to take a closer look but with that said it would be extremely difficult to knock what Mornhinweg has accomplished...especially wits his past QBs (Favre, Young, Garcia, McNabb, Vick).

I actually think he was the best move they've made over the last 3 years.

Your point is duly noted,however, Norv Turner would have probably refused the Jets interview or job because of problems he had with Rex based on comments Rex continuously made about being passed up for the SD job and how he oils have done of given the job while Norv wasted the talent he was given ....I just can't see those two getting along

To be fair for arguments sake, he was an available OC. I'm just not sure he would have been a better candidate in the first place.

doing this on my phone I can't break it down like I would like to but I'm not sure Turner is the better candidate. First off no other coach in the NFL has hopped around the carousel as much as Turner. You can't go apples apples with him abd Marty bc Norv's been around a little longer in multiple HC'ing roles. But take away the two Super Bowl wins in the early 90's and Norv's resume is very pedestrian. If I had more time I'd like to take a closer look but with that said it would be extremely difficult to knock what Mornhinweg has accomplished...especially wits his past QBs (Favre, Young, Garcia, McNabb, Vick).

I don't count mcnabb or Vick that's all Andy Reid just like the jets d is all rex

I don't count mcnabb or Vick that's all Andy Reid just like the jets d is all rex

To be fair for arguments sake, he was an available OC. I'm just not sure he would have been a better candidate in the first place.

I agree with this on Norv...smart OC but rather have MM...doubt Norv could handle the media in NYC...

This is silly. Their track records as OC's aren't even close and OC's talk to the media like 5-6 times a year, thats a complete non issue.

Can you show me how Marty isn't even close to Norv via resume? Or is the two Cowboy SBs in the early 90's the, knock out punch don't bother with anything else argument?

This is silly. Their track records as OC's aren't even close and OC's talk to the media like 5-6 times a year, thats a complete non issue. 

Just saying...Norv seems like a nice West Coast kinda guy...laid back...not sure he would like the East Coast...and/or working with Rex...

MM...better match for east coast...used to working with an outspoken coach...

Just saying...Norv seems like a nice West Coast kinda guy...laid back...not sure he would like the East Coast...and/or working with Rex...

MM...better match for east coast...used to working with an outspoken coach...

actually he's wrong..  the OC, DC, and STC have weekly press conferences on Thursdays all season that last 15 min or so.  I watched them all last year.

Can you show me how Marty isn't even close to Norv via resume? Or is the two Cowboy SBs in the early 90's the, knock out punch don't bother with anything else argument?

Look at the teams he was the OC of... The 1991 Cowboys, 2001 chargers, 2002 Dolphins and 2006 9ers all had substantial improvements from the previous year... Marty has been working for Andy Reid for the last few years who is one of the best offensive minds in the game. 

actually he's wrong..  the OC, DC, and STC have weekly press conferences on Thursdays all season that last 15 min or so.  I watched them all last year.

Yeah, either way...Norv seems to be missing that edge...just not sure he'd play well here...

That depends on the staff. When Mangini was here and up in NE, the coordinators never talk.

True.  Rex lets em' talk though.  Even in the case of a guy like Sparano who never said anything and you could tell hated being there.

The reason why Geno fell to rd 2 are the same reasons why he really could use a year to sit and learn. If they play him too soon and he fails, he's Jimmy Clausen. and next year they are looking for a Cam Newton.  Barring injury David Garrard should be the guy while Geno learns. 

The reason why Geno fell to rd 2 are the same reasons why he really could use a year to sit and learn. If they play him too soon and he fails, he's Jimmy Clausen. and next year they are looking for a Cam Newton.  Barring injury David Garrard should be the guy while Geno learns. 

This is my general opinion as well, but obviously the coaches can't be going ahead and making this determination now.  That said, unless he really performs lights out throughout camp and preseason, I'd let him sit to start the year.  Not necessarily for the whole season, but let Garrard (health permitting) start things off and, assuming this team isn't somehow in serious playoff contention, let Geno step in later in the season, once he's had some time to learn, to at least give him some experience and get a bit of a read on how he's looking (in case he's so horribly bad that the Jets want to be immediately going back to the well for a QB again).

Archived