Rappoport: Garrard Not staying with Jets

CrazyCarl40

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet10m

QB David Garrard told 2 players he no longer plans to be with the #Jets, per sources. Nothing official from team. Unclear if cut/retired

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet9m

Just now, David Garrard told @JeffDarlington: "I'm not talking about that right now. Maybe tomorrow or the next day"

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet7m

This has major ramifications for Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez and Greg McElroy. Again, nothing official. But this is what Garrard told players

Jake Steinberg@Steiny318m

According to http://NFL.com David Garrard no longer plans to be with the #Jets. #wow

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000201035/article/david-garrard-new-york-jets-parting-ways?campaign=Twitter_news

David Garrard, New York Jets parting ways

The New York Jets' wide-open quarterback competition will not involve David Garrard, as the veteran quarterback parts ways with the team, sources told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Wednesday.

"I'm not talking about that right now. Maybe tomorrow or the next day," Garrard tells NFL.com's Jeff Darlington.

Garrard was selected in the fourth round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he spent the first nine years of his career.

Garrard made one Pro Bowl with the Jaguars when he threw for 3,620 yards with 15 touchdowns during the 2009 season. The Jaguars released Garrard just before the start of the 2011 seasons, and the quarterback attempted an NFL comeback with the Miami Dolphins before the 2012 seasons before a knee injury derailed his bid to win the Dolphins starting quarterback job.

The Dolphins released Garrard before the 2012 season began, and Garrard signed with the Jets this past March.

David Garrard - QB - Jets

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports David Garrard has told teammates he "no longer plans to be with the Jets."

Garrard told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington he'll comment on the situation "maybe tomorrow or the next day." It's unclear if Garrard is being released or retiring. Garrard was expected to compete for the Jets' No. 1 or 2 job, but now 35 years old, he hasn't attempted a pass since December 26, 2010. Garrard has been slowed by back issues since 2011, and saw his Dolphins' roster bid cut short by knee surgery last summer. Garrard's departure greatly increases the chances the Jets will keep Mark Sanchez and his $8.5 million salary.

Adam Schein@AdamSchein 1m

Text from Garrard: "Having to call it quits. My knee is not holding up. Continuing to swell after practices. Limiting what I can do."

Like I said all along.....

Ah man, that's a bummer. Tough break for the guy. I would have liked to see him compete here. I think he would have been good for us this year, in all seriousness. 

Injuries. Boo!

I 100% believe we have to find a veteran somehow that makes sense as a mentor to Geno. I thought Garrard was perfect, both QBs are African American QBs trying to buck the stereotype that they all have to run and can't pass from the pocket. Dammit, Garrard would have been perfect as a mentor in that regard.

I'm sure the Jets are cursed.

Idzik has done nothing to cause a circus like atmosphere, but here we are with the clown car pulling into the tent 

Meh.

We're lucky to know now, and be able to prepare accordingly... circus style would be annointing Garrard the starter in camp, preparing for him to start and having him get hurt on first play of season.

Who wants to bet that Garrard signs with another team within the month? Dude knew he could beat out Sanchez, but he didn't want to be a seat-warmer for Geno. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in Miami.

If that's anywhere close to fact ... we're in a good place

Archived