Rappoport: Garrard Not staying with Jets

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who wants to bet that Garrard signs with another team within the month? Dude knew he could beat out Sanchez, but he didn't want to be a seat-warmer for Geno. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in Miami.

3979332_f260.jpg

Ladies, gentleman, and JiF... Welcome to one more year of Mark Sanchez football.

As a side note, as big of a loss as this is on the field, I really liked the idea of Garrard taking Geno under his wing.

I liked Pennington more.  For real.

Sanchez is certainly the far worse QB of the two, there's no doubt about that, but everyone knows Mark's sorry ass is as good as gone, it's just a matter of when.  On the flip side, the last time around we needed to trade for a HOF QB to finally get rid of Penny's sorry ass.  I can't even deal with the thought of that sh*t again.  It's one thing to be a sh*tty QB, it's something else to be a sh*tty QB with a massive never-ending undying following that constantly excuses every failure and credits him for things he doesn't deserve it for.  That's a trait shared by both of the QBs I'd never want to see anywhere near this team's roster ever again.  Outside of perhaps Pac and Smash (who has even started to waver), Sanchez thankfully does not have anything close to that.  That said, if Geno isn't ready, I'd still rather take McElroy or Simms over any of those clowns.  Yeah, I said it.

Now I'm all in on Geno winning the job from Week 1.  I have no desire to see Mark Sanchez under center at any point this season.

+ 1.  I never want to see Sanchez take another snap for this team.  He makes me not want to watch Jets Football. 

I'm sure the Jets are cursed.

Idzik has done nothing to cause a circus like atmosphere, but here we are with the clown car pulling into the tent 

Cant tell if serious? 

Who wants to bet that Garrard signs with another team within the month? Dude knew he could beat out Sanchez, but he didn't want to be a seat-warmer for Geno. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up back in Miami.

What are we betting?

I liked Pennington more.  For real.

Do you know how bad it pains me to say I agree?

What if we didn't draft Geno?

00004f1-223x300.jpg

What? Why? If they wanted Foles they would have traded for him before. They have Geno now and should see what he has, after Sanchez poops the bed.

Because Mornhinweg knows him, the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley, and having two young, talented prospect QBs is better than having one young prospect at QB.

Because Mornhinweg knows him, the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley, and having two young, talented prospect QBs is better than having one young prospect at QB.

Andy knows him.  Marty knows him.  And yet neither seemed hard pressed to demand they trade for him.   And both coaches were on teams in need of QBs. 

Andy went with Alex Smith and signed some never played backup named Chase to deal.  The Jets signed Garrard and drafted Smith.   And the Eagles, the team the guy is on, resigned Vick and drafted a QB.    

It's obvious nobody who has had anything to do with the kid believes he's legit.  So why trade for him now?  If he were cheap, why not throw him into the mix. But at this point, it's pointless.   Sanchez and Smith will fight for the job.   And Smith will be the QB of the future until proven otherwise.  WHy bring in Foles.

Andy knows him. Marty knows him. And yet neither seemed hard pressed to demand they trade for him. And both coaches were on teams in need of QBs.

Andy went with Alex Smith and signed some never played backup named Chase to deal. The Jets signed Garrard and drafted Smith. And the Eagles, the team the guy is on, resigned Vick and drafted a QB.

It's obvious nobody who has had anything to do with the kid believes he's legit. So why trade for him now? If he were cheap, why not throw him into the mix. But at this point, it's pointless. Sanchez and Smith will fight for the job. And Smith will be the QB of the future until proven otherwise. WHy bring in Foles.

Reid asked about Foles almost immediately after taking the Chiefs job and was told he was unavailable. That was before Barkley fell to the Eagles.

His knee isn't holding up? CIRCUS!!!!!!!

It's not that his knee isn't holding up, it's that the Jets first major move by Idzik was to sign a guy who hasn't played in a few seasons due to various injuries.  And then thinking the guy might actually play.    It's the same old circus move by the Jets and same old results.    Half the players they signed this offseason could wind up not playing at all.   Is that a circus move?  No.   It's an offseason that is based on being cheap and hoping injury prone backups can play a full season.  So far he's 0 for 1 and a bad 1 as Garrard didn't even make it to June.  

That's the problem I have with half the guys they signed.   They are hoping these guys play and start.  And hoping none of them get injured.  That's not exactly smart decisions. That's decisions based off of luck.  Hoping multiple injury prone backups don't get injured is what it is.  And hoping they put up good numbers is even more ridiculous.

Not sure what people thought.   I guess we all thought Garrard would make it into pre season, but how many people thought he'd actually be able to play without being injured?   The guy has missed the past two seasons without ever playing during the season due to injury.   It's not a bad choice. It's not a circus choice.  It's a move where you hope he isn't injured and hope he can play.  Idzik didnt' get lucky with Garrard, that's all.  A few more injuries from these signings though and suddenly Idzik's offseason starts to look depressing.

Reid asked about Foles almost immediately after taking the Chiefs job and was told he was unavailable. That was before Barkley fell to the Eagles.

Coaches who want players try to trade for players.  AKA who thought the Bucs would wind up with Revis before the last few months?

The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith and were rumored to do so the first month Reid was on the job.   If he really wanted Foles, I"m sure he would have worked something out.   Or at least tried.    And Barkely didn't exactly fall to the Eagles.  He fell to the 4th round, but the Eagles traded up to pick the guy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21743274/eagles-want-to-keep-nick-foles-even-andy-reid-says-hes-not-available

Coaches who want players try to trade for players. AKA who thought the Bucs would wind up with Revis before the last few months?

The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith and were rumored to do so the first month Reid was on the job. If he really wanted Foles, I"m sure he would have worked something out. Or at least tried. And Barkely didn't exactly fall to the Eagles. He fell to the 4th round, but the Eagles traded up to pick the guy.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21743274/eagles-want-to-keep-nick-foles-even-andy-reid-says-hes-not-available

And speculation says that's what they want to do. But the guys running the Eagles these days -- Howie Roseman and Chip Kelly -- told the media they're not interested in trying to trade Foles right now, and Reid said as much.

"He's not available," Reid said. "You just had Howie [Roseman] up here, so I think you know that. I'm glad you asked the question. I miss that. Listen, Nick is the property of the Philadelphia Eagles, and I think they like him."

I 100% believe we have to find a veteran somehow that makes sense as a mentor to Geno. I thought Garrard was perfect, both QBs are African American QBs trying to buck the stereotype that they all have to run and can't pass from the pocket. Dammit, Garrard would have been perfect as a mentor in that regard.

Geno didn't run the ball well in college at all. The only reason you're making this comparison is because he's black. Racist.

Right. Rather than start half the season warming a seat for Geno, he'd rather warm a seat on the bench behind Tannehill.

Wonder if this energizes any pursuit of Nick Foles.

If they liked Foles, they'd like him as a starter. If they liked him as a starter, they would've traded for him during the draft rather than take Geno. They like Geno better, and they have him. This definitely ramps up Geno's learning curve. I thought he had a 50-50 chance to be the opening day starter before Garrard decided to quit. Now I'd put it at 90%.

I was a little disappointed when the Jets didn't take Zac Dysert in the seventh round of the draft. Now I'm really disappointed. I thought -at the very least- that the SackElroy era was over.

Geno didn't run the ball well in college at all. The only reason you're making this comparison is because he's black. Racist.

Right. Rather than start half the season warming a seat for Geno, he'd rather warm a seat on the bench behind Tannehill.

If they liked Foles, they'd like him as a starter. If they liked him as a starter, they would've traded for him during the draft rather than take Geno. They like Geno better, and they have him. This definitely ramps up Geno's learning curve. I thought he had a 50-50 chance to be the opening day starter before Garrard decided to quit. Now I'd put it at 90%.

I was a little disappointed when the Jets didn't take Zac Dysert in the seventh round of the draft. Now I'm really disappointed. I thought -at the very least- that the SackElroy era was over.

Twitter reporters seem to believe Garrard's retirement is real. We'll see. The timing certainly is weird. The dude could sit on IR and collect a fat check. Instead, he'll have to give the Jets back $100k. And for knee swelling? Color me skeptical (shock! Surprise!)

Foles should/could be available from Philly if Barkley shows a pulse. Neither he nor Geno are Andrew Luck-level lock starters. If Idzik is at all averse to starting Geno immediately and/or wants to dump Sanchez, Foles could be an option to add to the roster. Worst case scenario is that you have two young QBs that can play.

Twitter reporters seem to believe Garrard's retirement is real. We'll see. The timing certainly is weird. The dude could sit on IR and collect a fat check. Instead, he'll have to give the Jets back $100k. And for knee swelling? Color me skeptical (shock! Surprise!)

Foles should/could be available from Philly if Barkley shows a pulse. Neither he nor Geno are Andrew Luck-level lock starters. If Idzik is at all averse to starting Geno immediately and/or wants to dump Sanchez, Foles could be an option to add to the roster. Worst case scenario is that you have two young QBs that can play.

Sanchez can't play but Foles can?  According to who?    This is the dumb philosophy about anything other than the Jets must be good.   Foles is a guy who wasn't all that great last year, sucked at times, and other than that, has been a guy who hasn't played.    I see no point in giving up anything for Foles.  And we know the Jets aren't going to dump Sanchez.  So why bring in somebody else and trade for them.    Might as well just see how Sanchez and Smith plays out.

They're not trading for Foles...  just stop.

As far as David,  the guy missed two entire seasons because of injury. He sat out two seasons on his own rather than try and play.   Imagine if he were selfish. He could have stuck around,  not been healthy enough, but wind up collecting a paycheck to be on IR.  Instead he gave up early last year, gave up even earlier this year.  This is a guy who obviously is in certain pain and has to go through a lot just to get ready to play and then on top of that, he probably isn't in love with Football anymore or just doesn't think he can play due to injury.

Sanchez can't play but Foles can? According to who? This is the dumb philosophy about anything other than the Jets must be good. Foles is a guy who wasn't all that great last year, sucked at times, and other than that, has been a guy who hasn't played. I see no point in giving up anything for Foles. And we know the Jets aren't going to dump Sanchez. So why bring in somebody else and trade for them. Might as well just see how Sanchez and Smith plays out.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Foles is a better prospect than Greg McElroy. If you can get him for a 3rd, and you don't want to start Sanchez, and you're not 1000% sold on Geno Smith to man your rebuilding program, Nick Foles is worth a shot.

If the Jets opt to replace Garrard, I'd expect a direct replacement. An older vet with starting experience. Batch or Leftwich make some sense.

If the Jets opt to replace Garrard, I'd expect a direct replacement. An older vet with starting experience. Batch or Leftwich make some sense.

Their were already 2 too many QB's in this "competition".  While Garrards injury is unfortunate, it makes it a little easier on MM to conduct a proper QB competition between Sanchez and Geno. 

The happiest guy in the building is Mcelroy because now he get to keep his job.

Sanchez is >>> Batch or Leftowich. 

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Foles is a better prospect than Greg McElroy. If you can get him for a 3rd, and you don't want to start Sanchez, and you're not 1000% sold on Geno Smith to man your rebuilding program, Nick Foles is worth a shot.

Trading for Foles makes absolutely no sense. 

The oracle has spoken.

Neither Batch nor Leftwich are viable starters, though. They need a guy who 1. Allows you to cut/trade Sanchez if possible, and 2. Gives you insurance in the event that Geno isn't ready. Can you imagine Charlie Batch being your opening day starter? PSL owners would kill themselves.

The Oracle also spent the last four years turning Mark Sanchez's asscrack into a deep dish pizza.

I can't wait until Sanchez is named the starter...  this is going to be a fun summer haha...

Do you really want the Jets trading next year's third rounder for a QB they would want to finish second to the QB they just drafted? Not me. I'd prefer they hold onto it, and either use it to get Geno a weapon, or maybe have it to use to find his replacement.

Meanwhile, Mornhinweg has a pretty good idea of what Foles brings to the table, and the Jets haven't shown an interest. That should tell you something.

Archived