Rappoport: Garrard Not staying with Jets

CrazyCarl40

Do you really want the Jets trading next year's third rounder for a QB they would want to finish second to the QB they just drafted? Not me. I'd prefer they hold onto it, and either use it to get Geno a weapon, or maybe have it to use to find his replacement.

Meanwhile, Mornhinweg has a pretty good idea of what Foles brings to the table, and the Jets haven't shown an interest. That should tell you something.

I hate burning draft picks, but they'll have a few of them between comp picks, their own, and the Bucs'. I'm not necessarily advocating for pursuing Foles, but if Idzik wants a QB to throw into the mix, Foles would be an interesting name. Idzik really needs to cover his bases at QB anyway. Putting Foles on the roster could look pretty savvy two years from now.

As far as the Jets' interest, both Idzik and Roseman make a habit out of freezing out the media. Remember the Eagles with Nnamdi? Zero media snoops had that before it happened.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate burning draft picks, but they'll have a few of them between comp picks, their own, and the Bucs'. I'm not necessarily advocating for pursuing Foles, but if Idzik wants a QB to throw into the mix, Foles would be an interesting name. Idzik really needs to cover his bases at QB anyway. Putting Foles on the roster could look pretty savvy two years from now.

As far as the Jets' interest, both Idzik and Roseman make a habit out of freezing out the media. Remember the Eagles with Nnamdi? Zero media snoops had that before it happened.

I don't think your boy Idzik is up for burning draft picks, either. A third rounder is still a quality pick, something not really offset by a fourth round comp pick (if they do that well for Landry).

Plus, you've got Reid and Mornhinweg both leaving the Eagles and landing in QB needy situations, and neither pulled the trigger on Foles. I have a strong feeling that Foles is more Feeley than Favre.

+ 1.  I never want to see Sanchez take another snap for this team.  He makes me not want to watch Jets Football. 

Cant tell if serious? 

What are we betting?

Do you know how bad it pains me to say I agree?

00004f1-223x300.jpg

Was that pic taken at Rhodes house?

Geno didn't run the ball well in college at all. The only reason you're making this comparison is because he's black. Racist.

Partly true, but not being racist about it at all.

I am making this comparison because I watched a piece pre-draft where it talked about Geno being capable of running, but NOT wanting to run because he wanted to make it as a pure, traditional QB. Something about how he knew it would lead to a longer career, and being taken more seriously.

Garrard is a black QB who played the position the way Geno wants to. Seems like a proper mentor relationship, given Garrard's experiences with stereotypes are probably the same as what Geno has and will encounter.

I don't think your boy Idzik is up for burning draft picks, either. A third rounder is still a quality pick, something not really offset by a fourth round comp pick (if they do that well for Landry).

Plus, you've got Reid and Mornhinweg both leaving the Eagles and landing in QB needy situations, and neither pulled the trigger on Foles. I have a strong feeling that Foles is more Feeley than Favre.

Totally agree with you here Slats.

I expect to see someone more like Bobby Hoyer brought in for the 5th QB role in the competition. It would be great if it was someone more legit, but who is out there? Nobody.

Seneca Wallace? He'd actually be a good veteran QB to add, who can actually contribute in other ways. I dunno. Would rather have Tebow if that's what it comes down to.

Ideally, you look long term now. Give Sanchez the job. Let him keep it all year come hell or high water. This is not going to be a playoff year. There's a new offense, lots of new faces, it's a recipe for a losing season. Let geno sit a year and keep his head clear from all the criticisms that are bound to dog this team. Let him come in with a year in the system and a saviors mentality. And if by some stroke of luck Sanchez is actually successful, he can be traded for fair compensation in the off season.

Partly true, but not being racist about it at all.

I am making this comparison because I watched a piece pre-draft where it talked about Geno being capable of running, but NOT wanting to run because he wanted to make it as a pure, traditional QB. Something about how he knew it would lead to a longer career, and being taken more seriously.

Garrard is a black QB who played the position the way Geno wants to. Seems like a proper mentor relationship, given Garrard's experiences with stereotypes are probably the same as what Geno has and will encounter.

Integrity the Greek.

Oh noes not the 36 year old coming off surgeries and unhealthy seasons the past 3-4 years.

I know I should be nicer About it. He beat Ryan Tannehill out until having back surgery.

Really, I'm not sad. I was more meh on this move than most here anyway and never figured he would play a major role here anyway. Too many injuries and he's not Peyton Manning.

Oh noes not the 36 year old coming off surgeries and unhealthy seasons the past 3-4 years.

I know I should be nicer About it. He beat Ryan Tannehill out until having back surgery.

Really, I'm not sad. I was more meh on this move than most here anyway and never figured he would play a major role here anyway. Too many injuries and he's not Peyton Manning.

What? We've been bamboozled!!!! 

Honestly who gives a **** lets start the Geno era. I'm in.

You are doing it wrong, Hess.

When we drafted Geno it was "start him right away, that's what the Colts did with Peyton!!!"

Now, it's "let him sit a year because we ruined Mark and weaponzzzz no hazzzzzz!!!!"

Jeez man, what were you thinking... ?

Neither Batch nor Leftwich are viable starters, though. They need a guy who 1. Allows you to cut/trade Sanchez if possible, and 2. Gives you insurance in the event that Geno isn't ready. Can you imagine Charlie Batch being your opening day starter? PSL owners would kill themselves.

And why would Foles suddenly be the guaranteed opening day starter?  They guy wasn't exactly on fire last year.  He went what, 1-7 as a starter.   And he had one of those fumble in end zone, winning td for other team kind of plays.  

If they gave up a 7th round pick  and paid the guy minimum, why not.  Anything more than that it's kind of stupid.  Dump Tebow cause he's not a QB and trade a 3rd rounder for a guy who has shown that he is what in the NFL?  

You are doing it wrong, Hess.

When we drafted Geno it was "start him right away, that's what the Colts did with Peyton!!!"

Now, it's "let him sit a year because we ruined Mark and weaponzzzz no hazzzzzz!!!!"

Jeez man, what were you thinking... ?

I'm drunk.

Seneca Wallace? He'd actually be a good veteran QB to add, who can actually contribute in other ways. I dunno. Would rather have Tebow if that's what it comes down to.

Both he and Luke McCown signed with the Saints.  The loser of that backup QB competition will likely be available.  Wallace will probably end up winning the backup job.

Reid tried to talk trade with Kelly and Foles wasn't available. Despite his W-L record, Foles is worth at least a 2nd and would be an instant starter on several teams, this one included.

Foles isn't terrible, he's not great but he is accurate and competent. When it's all said and done he could easily start in Philly. The Matt Barkley pick bodes well for the type of QB Kelly might want to work with... and it's a profile more like Foles than Vick/Dennis Dixon. 

Foles isn't terrible, he's not great but he is accurate and competent. 

You don't burn a 2nd rounder for that though.  At least with Geno we're REACHING for greatness even if its not attainable.  With Foles you basically know what you're gonna get.  We're not looking for a stop-gap guy to get us to 9-7, like, say, the Chiefs did by getting Alex Smith.

I personally think David Carr got a raw deal.

would of loved to seen the jets bring in Carr this off-season before Giants resigned him....he still has more potential than Sanchez and is better competition than Garrad is.. or was.

I 100% believe we have to find a veteran somehow that makes sense as a mentor to Geno. I thought Garrard was perfect, both QBs are African American QBs trying to buck the stereotype that they all have to run and can't pass from the pocket. Dammit, Garrard would have been perfect as a mentor in that regard.

Agreed.  I thought he would have been a quality starter until Smith was ready.  The Jets just can't get a break ever.

It's not that his knee isn't holding up, it's that the Jets first major move by Idzik was to sign a guy who hasn't played in a few seasons due to various injuries.  And then thinking the guy might actually play.    It's the same old circus move by the Jets and same old results.    Half the players they signed this offseason could wind up not playing at all.   Is that a circus move?  No.   It's an offseason that is based on being cheap and hoping injury prone backups can play a full season.  So far he's 0 for 1 and a bad 1 as Garrard didn't even make it to June.  

That's the problem I have with half the guys they signed.   They are hoping these guys play and start.  And hoping none of them get injured.  That's not exactly smart decisions. That's decisions based off of luck.  Hoping multiple injury prone backups don't get injured is what it is.  And hoping they put up good numbers is even more ridiculous.

Not sure what people thought.   I guess we all thought Garrard would make it into pre season, but how many people thought he'd actually be able to play without being injured?   The guy has missed the past two seasons without ever playing during the season due to injury.   It's not a bad choice. It's not a circus choice.  It's a move where you hope he isn't injured and hope he can play.  Idzik didnt' get lucky with Garrard, that's all.  A few more injuries from these signings though and suddenly Idzik's offseason starts to look depressing.

Idzik didn't have any choice.  They had tons of holes, almost no cap space, and didn't want to have to be forced to draft for need.  Garrard was the best of the lot of FA QBs.  It's unfortunate that it didn't work out.  Hopefully, the Jets will fare better with the other FAs they signed.

Who cares about who is supposedly playing mentor to Smith? Isnt that why they hired Mornhinweg? Mentors did nothing for Sanchez.

no thats not what we brought in mornghinweg for

but yes mentors did nothing for sanchez. But he own college coach said he wasnt ready. He just never had it to begin with

Doesnt mean geno smith couldnt use one incase he does have what it takes to be an nfl qb

It would be nice to have someone other than Sanchez and McElroy around Geno.  That actually scares me a little bit.  I'd hope they can find a way to separate Geno and Mark at all times.  

On this we are in total agreement.

Archived