Rappoport: Garrard Not staying with Jets

CrazyCarl40

no thats not what we brought in mornghinweg for

but yes mentors did nothing for sanchez. But he own college coach said he wasnt ready. He just never had it to begin with

Doesnt mean geno smith couldnt use one incase he does have what it takes to be an nfl qb

Mornhinweg was most definitely brought in here because he has a long track record with Improving QB play. That's what random veteran QB tabbed with the mentor role in the press is supposed to do, right?

Also, Sanchez is a veteran QB at this point. A veteran QB who's seen some sh*t in a pretty short time at that. His numbers will not be passed on to Smith by talking to him and relaying those experiences. David Garrard's completion%s has nothing to do with his urge to teach a young QB what coaches are hired to teach.

Also, Sanchez not being ready does not mean random veteran as "mentor" has any merit. If anyone might need a mentor it would be an inexperienced guy like him. Smith has more than double the number of college starts and believes he's ready to compete for the starting job.

Basically, it's a nonsense role and the Jets (or anyone else) has any reason to believe otherwise. If Smith is an NFL QB then he is an NFL QB, mentor or no mentor. It's not a necessary piece to turn him into good QB.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mornhinweg was most definitely brought in here because he has a long track record with Improving QB play.

i completely agree

but he was brought in to help the guy with mechanics and making reads

what im talking about with garrard mentoring is helping him with life in the nfl. Media, money, locker room

Oh yeah and Garrard clearly cared nothing for the role of mentor. Mentors dont need prime NFL athlete knees to mentor up a player. Stop adding special magic sh*t (Weaponz, player mentors, perfectly designed/planned/called plays) to get a QB.

i completely agree

but he was brought in to help the guy with mechanics and making reads

what im talking about with garrard mentoring is helping him with life in the nfl. Media, money, locker room

1 - No, he was brought in to fix the Jets' QB/passing game problem.

2 - Smith is an adult. He is an adult with an agent+ working for him and a whole organization that wants him to succeed. He can figure it out. Media and locker room are two things he's seen, and David Garrard isn't an accountant+. We've already seen that Smith is actually quite good at the media thing.

3 - Mornhinweg has 10+ years in the NFL on Garrard. If Smith really needs to, bring the issue up with Marty M or Ryan himself. If Smith wants the Jets to be his team on the field his best shot is to communicate with the coaches, not some veteran QB they pick up off the scrap heap in FA. If you're saying he needs a friend then there are plenty of healthy, football minded teammates on this roster at a similar age (Wilkerson, Hill, etc) as well as young veterans like D'Brick and Mangold. Those are the guys he should be talking to, period. None of these guys are party animals - it's one thing not a one of them was knocked for. Hell, even supposed evils like Sanchez and Holmes have seen and been through enough sh*t in media, money, and NFL life to have some wisdom.

1 - No, he was brought in to fix the Jets' QB/passing game problem.

2 - Smith is an adult. He is an adult with an agent+ working for him and a whole organization that wants him to succeed. He can figure it out. Media and locker room are two things he's seen, and David Garrard isn't an accountant+. We've already seen that Smith is actually quite good at the media thing.

3 - Mornhinweg has 10+ years in the NFL on Garrard. If Smith really needs to, bring the issue up with Marty M or Ryan himself. If Smith wants the Jets to be his team on the field his best shot is to communicate with the coaches, not some veteran QB they pick up off the scrap heap in FA. If you're saying he needs a friend then there are plenty of healthy, football minded teammates on this roster at a similar age (Wilkerson, Hill, etc) as well as young veterans like D'Brick and Mangold. Those are the guys he should be talking to, period. None of these guys are party animals - it's one thing not a one of them was knocked for. Hell, even supposed evils like Sanchez and Holmes have seen and been through enough sh*t in media, money, and NFL life to have some wisdom.

1: did you just disagree with yourself?

2: its not about managing his money i was thinking its about friends and family asking for stuff like tickets and sh*t. And you know he is good with media from before hes even played? You know hes good in the locker room? And no he hasnt seen the locker room before college and nfl is completly different

3: Idk you can ask those people but they dont know what being a qb is like. Qbs are the face of the franchize and is extremely important. Mangold doesnt know what its like to be a qb he knows what an o linemen is like. Coachs are coaches id say its better to also have a peer. Every coach will tell you to work hard. A peer telling you how hes worked in the past what works/what doesnt is something entirley different. Doesnt have to be major but little tips here and there never hurt

1 - No.

2 - Oh that makes more sense. Tickets and sh*t. He needs a player mentor to teach him about giving tickets out and sh*t. Yes, he's handled the media like a boss so far. It's possible he might figure out tickets and sh*t without a 40 year old player holding his hand.

3 - Marty Mornhinweg has worked with QBs his whole life and done it very well. Talk to him. Forcing a player mentor on someone is baseless, and most players have very little interest in rising the bench.

did not mind the signing but i think we all had it in the back of our minds that it was possible, if not probable that he would get or be injured at some point this year. guess we either start game one with  the geno era or stomach another season opener with the human turnover machine

You don't burn a 2nd rounder for that though.  At least with Geno we're REACHING for greatness even if its not attainable.  With Foles you basically know what you're gonna get.  We're not looking for a stop-gap guy to get us to 9-7, like, say, the Chiefs did by getting Alex Smith.

Foles isn't even on the market. He's currently splitting first team reps in Philly. 

Oh yeah and Garrard clearly cared nothing for the role of mentor. Mentors dont need prime NFL athlete knees to mentor up a player. Stop adding special magic sh*t (Weaponz, player mentors, perfectly designed/planned/called plays) to get a QB.

Personally, I thought he made sense as a mentor, but yeah, he clearly wanted nothing to do with that sh*t.

If geno doesn't start then he isn't the guy that's all !! Nfl isn't built to develop you either can or can't right now

not really... Aaron Rodgers had the opportunity to watch before starting and I'd say he turned out OK   Eli as well.  Sometimes I actually feel by having them start right away is more detrimental to them if anything.  Now, every QB is different, Luck, Rg3, Cam...all did well starting right away in their first season but unfortunately that doesn't always work for rookie QBs w high potential coming out of the draft....I personally feel if Geno had the luxury of coming in mid to late season he would do better than throwing him out there week 1.  I just don't think it will benefit him much.   

Partly true, but not being racist about it at all.

I am making this comparison because I watched a piece pre-draft where it talked about Geno being capable of running, but NOT wanting to run because he wanted to make it as a pure, traditional QB. Something about how he knew it would lead to a longer career, and being taken more seriously.

Garrard is a black QB who played the position the way Geno wants to. Seems like a proper mentor relationship, given Garrard's experiences with stereotypes are probably the same as what Geno has and will encounter.

archie bunker agrees!

Archived