Vlad Knows This is Make Or Break Season

flgreen

Vlad Ducasse knows this is his make-or-break season with Jets

10 JETS VRENTAS PERLMAN(1).JPG

Vladimir Ducasse, a former second-round pick, knows this is a make-or-break year. (William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM, updated May 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Each season since 2010, when the Jets selected Vlad Ducasse in the second round of the NFL Draft, the raw but athletic offesive lineman had an opportunity to crack into the starting lineup.

His first year, he lost the battle at guard with Matt Slauson. The year after, Wayne Hunter took the lead at tackle. The year after that, he lost to Slauson again but rotated with him every third series.

Now he's approaching his fourth and final year under contract. He knows it's time to win a competition.

"That's pretty much it, it's now or never," Ducasse said. "I talked to coach Rex (Ryan) about it, it's pretty much a year for me to do what they drafted me to do."

Ducasse remains confident despite the fact that the Jets drafted three offensive linemen, all of whom can play guard and two of whom can also play tackle. They also signed veterans Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman.

"This is the NFL, there's always going to be competition around but there's no reaction," Ducasse said. "We go to work every year, that's pretty much it."

Ducasse said that Rex Ryan sat him down and explained what this season means for him.

Cutting him would save the team roughly $200,000.

"This year is the year to do it," Ducasse said. "I'm not looking at it like I was a second-round draft pick three years ago. Now, it's like, I'm looking at it like I need to go in there and get the job done so I can be in the starting lineup."

"This is the NFL, there's always going to be competition around but there's no reaction," Ducasse said. "We go to work every year, that's pretty much it."

Can someone decipher this? 

Nope.  Dude's a goner.

it's easy to believe this ... but look at the other guards they have on the roster... 

Winters has never played guard. 

Willie Colon ended the last 3 seasons on IR

Peterman was just awful last year (actually about 10 slots worse than Vlad in the PFF ranks. Vlad was about 60 if you projected his snaps out to a full season. Peterman was 74 out of 77) 

Oday is a tackle lacking in functional strength (only 17 reps compared to 29 for Vlad) 

Caleb Schlauderaff never really showed much 

William Campbell developmental DL convert. 

Vlad actually could stick with this group.

And by the way he did a decent job in those snaps last year. I don't think the jury is in on this player. It certainly is his last chance. but let's not pretend like the Jets signed/drafted awesome alternatives. 

Can someone decipher this? 

Translation:

"This is the NFL, there's always going to competition (for your job) around but there's no reaction (to being on the roster bubble), " Ducasse said. "We go to work every year (until they take away our playbook and our keys no longer let us into the facility), that's pretty much it (and I have zero sense of urgency that I'm about to win King Ugly competition among grocery store baggers)."

Translation:

"This is the NFL, there's always going to competition (for your job) around but there's no reaction (to being on the roster bubble), " Ducasse said. "We go to work every year (until they take away our playbook and our keys no longer let us into the facility), that's pretty much it (and I have zero sense of urgency that I'm about to win King Ugly competition among grocery store baggers)."

lol

Archived