Mike Goodson Arrested: MERGED (UPDATED WITH CHARGES)

Matt39

I gotta be fair: if this happened on Tannenbaum's watch, I'd be killing him. I'll be curious to see what Idzik does now. I'd imagine he'll go the stern warning/public shaming route.

Are you sure Rex did not sign him?

• Upvote 1

I believe the reports were that the gun and weed was found in the car after Goodson was taken to the hospital and not actually found on his person.  Probably a few hundred thousand for his buddy to say they were his and take the fall, probably easiest money that guy will make.

If that's true, the blame will likely be placed elsewhere as you said, and then Goodson will get a public admonishing from Idzik about the drinking and the type of people he associates with and crap like that.  Then he'll probably be thrown down to the bottom of the depth chart to start off OTAs and camp to make a point.  If Goodson ends up getting the blame for any of the other stuff, that's a whole different story.

Won't there be a suspension for this?  Can it void his contract, I wonder?

If the gun was on his person.  The contract is a moot point.  There will most likely be prison time for this.

If it was his buddies car, and gun, as BG said, different story.

If that's true, the blame will likely be placed elsewhere as you said, and then Goodson will get a public admonishing from Idzik about the drinking and the type of people he associates with and crap like that. Then he'll probably be thrown down to the bottom of the depth chart to start off OTAs and camp to make a point. If Goodson ends up getting the blame for any of the other stuff, that's a whole different story.

Supposedly, the other guy in the car already has a prior felony charge against him. If he claims the gun, he's going away for a long, long, long, time. I'm not sure Goodson could afford to pay a man to go to jail for that long.

Jets running back Mike Goodson charged with firearm, marijuana possession

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports11:44 a.m. EDT May 17, 2013

goodson

(Photo: Kelley L Cox, USA TODAY Sports)

New York Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested by New Jersey State Police on Thursday and charged with possession of a loaded firearm and simple possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, police spokesman Lt. Stephen Jones told USA TODAY Sports.

Jones said Goodson was the passenger in a car that was stopped in the left lane on Route 80 in Denville, N.J. for unknown reasons. Jones said a tow truck came upon the vehicle and called 911 when he noted both Goodson and the driver, Garret Evans, appeared intoxicated.

The spokesman said an ambulance was sent to the scene, and both Goodson and Evans were taken to the hospital, treated and released into police custody.

Evans was charged with suspicion of DUI and possession of a loaded firearm, according to the Jones, who added that Evans has a prior conviction on weapons charges. The spokesman said police found hollow-point bullets with the gun in the car.

Goodson signed a three-year contract worth $6.9 million as a free agent this offseason after four seasons with the Oakland Raiders. He and Chris Ivory, acquired in a trade from the New Orleans Saints, were expected to be the team's top two backs to replace Shonn Greene, the former third-round pick who joined the Tennessee Titans this offseason.

The Jets said they are aware of the report and are gathering information.

Supposedly, the other guy in the car already has a prior felony charge against him. If he claims the gun, he's going away for a long, long, long, time. I'm not sure Goodson could afford to pay a man to go to jail for that long.

If he has a felony already, Goodson should just say it's his, and testify against him.

Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested, charged with possession of gun, drugs

Mike Goodson, who was born in Irvington, was arrested on gun and drug charges Thursday night. (MCT)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM, updated May 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested and charged with possession of a handgun, hollow-point rounds, marijuana and drug paraphernalia after a 3:15 a.m. arrest last night in Denville, State Police officials confirmed.

The Jets running back was in the passenger side of a vehicle that was stopped dead in the middle of the left lane on Route 80 West. A tow truck came up behind the vehicle and called 911 upon seeing the vehicle, police said.

Goodson, who was born in Irvington, was taken to the hospital to be evaluated before being transferred to the police barracks to be arrested. The police are still unsure why the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the highway.

The driver, a 31-year-old Roselle native named Garant Evans was also charged with a DWI. Goodson did not undergo a drug test because he was not behind the steering wheel, but the police did say that both appeared intoxicated -- Goodson enough to be transferred to the hospital.

Evans had a prior felony offense, police said.

The gun found in Goodson's possession was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said.

When reached for comment, a Jets spokesman said: "We are aware of the report and are gathering information."

Goodson, 25, was signed by the Jets this offseason on a three-year, $6.9 million contract and added to a competition that included incumbents Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell as well as former Saints running back Chris Ivory.

The fact that he was the passenger (which would suggest it was his buddy's car) and that the other guy has a prior charge of gun possession just might save his ass.  That said, he'd likely have to completely sell out his buddy and claim complete ignorance to have any hope of getting any of these charges against him dropped, which he would definitely need to happen.

New York Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested on drug and weapons chargesearly on Friday morning, reports News 12 in New Jersey.

According to the report, Goodson and another man, identified as Garrett Evans, were found intoxicated in a parked SUV along Route 80 in Denville, New Jersey, which is about 15 miles northwest of the Jets' headquarters in Florham Park. A loaded .45-caliber handgun was found in the SUV and when the 25-year-old running back was transported to a hospital for evaluation, marijuana was discovered in his possession.

Both Goodson and Evans were released from the hospital and into the custody of State Police who transported the two men to the unit's Netcong's barracks. Mike Garafolo of the USA Today reports that Goodson was the passenger in the vehicle and that Evans has been charged with a DUI.

OK - so we have Goodson:

1.)sh1tfaced in a car he wasn't driving and they found some pot on his person when they took him to the ER = me guesses a couple buds in a cig pack wrapper - not a lid bulging out of his pocket

2.)In a car with a loaded weapon which wasn't concealed.

I don't think this ends his career and it shouldn't. 

Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested, charged with possession of gun, drugs

Mike Goodson, who was born in Irvington, was arrested on gun and drug charges Thursday night. (MCT)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  

on May 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM, updated May 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested and charged with possession of a handgun, hollow-point rounds, marijuana and drug paraphernalia after a 3:15 a.m. arrest last night in Denville, State Police officials confirmed.

The Jets running back was in the passenger side of a vehicle that was stopped dead in the middle of the left lane on Route 80 West. A tow truck came up behind the vehicle and called 911 upon seeing the vehicle, police said.

Goodson, who was born in Irvington, was taken to the hospital to be evaluated before being transferred to the police barracks to be arrested. The police are still unsure why the vehicle was stopped in the middle of the highway.

The driver, a 31-year-old Roselle native named Garant Evans was also charged with a DWI. Goodson did not undergo a drug test because he was not behind the steering wheel, but the police did say that both appeared intoxicated -- Goodson enough to be transferred to the hospital.

Evans had a prior felony offense, police said.

The gun found in Goodson's possession was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said.

When reached for comment, a Jets spokesman said: "We are aware of the report and are gathering information."

Goodson, 25, was signed by the Jets this offseason on a three-year, $6.9 million contract and added to a competition that included incumbents Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell as well as former Saints running back Chris Ivory.

Ohhhhh, he is from Irvington, NJ...now this makes perfect sense! 

New York Jets running back Mike Goodson was arrested on drug and weapons chargesearly on Friday morning, reports News 12 in New Jersey.

According to the report, Goodson and another man, identified as Garrett Evans, were found intoxicated in a parked SUV along Route 80 in Denville, New Jersey, which is about 15 miles northwest of the Jets' headquarters in Florham Park. A loaded .45-caliber handgun was found in the SUV and when the 25-year-old running back was transported to a hospital for evaluation, marijuana was discovered in his possession.

Both Goodson and Evans were released from the hospital and into the custody of State Police who transported the two men to the unit's Netcong's barracks. Mike Garafolo of the USA Today reports that Goodson was the passenger in the vehicle and that Evans has been charged with a DUI.

OK - so we have Goodson:

1.)sh1tfaced in a car he wasn't driving and they found some pot on his person when they took him to the ER = me guesses a couple buds in a cig pack wrapper - not a lid bulging out of his pocket

"The gun found in Goodson's possession was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said."

If this is true.   he's a gonner

If that's true, the blame will likely be placed elsewhere as you said, and then Goodson will get a public admonishing from Idzik about the drinking and the type of people he associates with and crap like that.  Then he'll probably be thrown down to the bottom of the depth chart to start off OTAs and camp to make a point.  If Goodson ends up getting the blame for any of the other stuff, that's a whole different story.

Very conflicting stories, as most of the articles posted on here are saying the gun was found on his possession, but it seems to me that's the story they're running with as it's bigger headlines.  The most accurate report I read seemed to say that after the two were brought to the ER via ambulance  the police searched the car and found the concealed gun.  Odds are it's probably the owner of the car's and Goodson just has some hood rat friends; if so, besides hanging with the wrong people, I can't really fault the guy besides getting in the car with a driver who's been drinking.  

"The gun found in Goodson's possession was loaded with hollow-point bullets, police said."

If this is true.   he's a gonner

I have a feeling they are using Goodson's possession as an extension of "finding it in the same car that an NFL athlete was riding in."  If the report I read was accurate than the gun was found after they were brought to the hospital, if it were indeed found on his person, then he's f*cked and deserves to be booted off the team.  However, the fact that they weren't brought into custody until after they were at the hospital, seems to corroborate the idea that they guns weren't found until after they were gone and the police had time to search the car.

Very conflicting stories, as most of the articles posted on here are saying the gun was found on his possession, but it seems to me that's the story they're running with as it's bigger headlines.  The most accurate report I read seemed to say that after the two were brought to the ER via ambulance  the police searched the car and found the concealed gun.  Odds are it's probably the owner of the car's and Goodson just has some hood rat friends; if so, besides hanging with the wrong people, I can't really fault the guy besides getting in the car with a driver who's been drinking.  

I hope this is the case, but he should have his head handed too him for putting himself in such a situation. Not the brightest bulb....

I have a feeling they are using Goodson's possession as an extension of "finding it in the same car that an NFL athlete was riding in."  If the report I read was accurate than the gun was found after they were brought to the hospital, if it were indeed found on his person, then he's f*cked and deserves to be booted off the team.  However, the fact that they weren't brought into custody until after they were at the hospital, seems to corroborate the idea that they guns weren't found until after they were gone and the police had time to search the car.

You might be right.  it will take a day or two to find out what really happened

BTW, this is all you fault.  If Broadway Joe hadn't sold his soul in 1968, we wouldn't be stuck here in Perdition

OK - so we have Goodson:

It may not end his career but it does end his time with the Jets.  Idzik was brought in to change the culture and add an aire of sophistication.  I don't see how he can stand for this..  especially considering they cut to UDFA's last week for far less.  I'm sure they're currently trying to find a way to cut him without being on the hook financially.

You might be right.  it will take a day or two to find out what really happened

Both passengers got hit with the same weapons charges (Evans got the additional charge of weapons violation with an existing felony) All's we can do is hope Evans gets stuck with the charges and Goodson's are dropped. Otherwise you're right - he's a goner.