Mike Goodson Arrested: MERGED (UPDATED WITH CHARGES)

Matt39

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an officer - we need GOB or Lance. But if it's registered it would have to be to Goodson as the other guy is a felonious mf'er and I think the hollowpoint thing in NJ is very bad bananas 

Since I'm a jersey cop (now working in a dept right next to Denville...no more inner city for me), I can answer some of the generalities. But the specifics are a no-no, sorry.

On whether a legally registered gun would be ok in this situation: he would have to get cleared through NCIC, get a purchasers permit and jump through some more hoops to get a gun legally in NJ. this takes an average of 4 to 6 months. Not likely the gun was legal. The driver would be unable to own a registered hand gun due to prior felony conviction. But, if the gun was legal, he would ned a concealed carry permit to have it on his person. These are given rarely and are generally reserved for PIs and ex cops. So the weapon is likely illegal, and being carried illegally.

On the hollow points : bullets are legal of course, as they can be used in hunting and target shooting. Handguns are generally not acceptable hunting weapons (with a few minor exceptions) and therefore the bully's needed are what we call "ball ammo". Hollow points are used only in handguns and only for situations where the target is made of flesh and bone. They are for stopping people. Nothing else. This is why they are military and law enforcement only. Someone said they pierce vests and that is inaccurate. A hollow point is for stopping power. The round mushrooms upon impact with flesh, and fragments when it hits bone. It's larger diameter can't usually punch through a vest. There are tow handgun rounds that can pierce a vest. But I'm not sharing that. Armour piercing rounds are obviously another story and any rifle round will go through and through.

On charges: illegal possession of a weapon, illegal possession of a weapon during the commission go a crime (drug possession...but depends on the degree, only works for indictable offenses) DUI, obviously, possession of CDS, lots of title 39 motor vehicle offenses) other charges could follow once the gun is traced (likely a stolen and trafficked gun as they all are on the street).

Possession of the weapon is dependent on several factors. If the weapon was on the person of one, its considered in his possession. If its in a common area within access of both, and neither cops to it, it is considered constructive possession and they both get charged. Hope this helps.

Since I'm a jersey cop (now working in a dept right next to Denville...no more inner city for me), I can answer some of the generalities. But the specifics are a no-no, sorry.

On whether a legally registered gun would be ok in this situation: he would have to get cleared through NCIC, get a purchasers permit and jump through some more hoops to get a gun legally in NJ. this takes an average of 4 to 6 months. Not likely the gun was legal. The driver would be unable to own a registered hand gun due to prior felony conviction. But, if the gun was legal, he would ned a concealed carry permit to have it on his person. These are given rarely and are generally reserved for PIs and ex cops. So the weapon is likely illegal, and being carried illegally.

On the hollow points : bullets are legal of course, as they can be used in hunting and target shooting. Handguns are generally not acceptable hunting weapons (with a few minor exceptions) and therefore the bully's needed are what we call "ball ammo". Hollow points are used only in handguns and only for situations where the target is made of flesh and bone. They are for stopping people. Nothing else. This is why they are military and law enforcement only. Someone said they pierce vests and that is inaccurate. A hollow point is for stopping power. The round mushrooms upon impact with flesh, and fragments when it hits bone. It's larger diameter can't usually punch through a vest. There are tow handgun rounds that can pierce a vest. But I'm not sharing that. Armour piercing rounds are obviously another story and any rifle round will go through and through.

On charges: illegal possession of a weapon, illegal possession of a weapon during the commission go a crime (drug possession...but depends on the degree, only works for indictable offenses) DUI, obviously, possession of CDS, lots of title 39 motor vehicle offenses) other charges could follow once the gun is traced (likely a stolen and trafficked gun as they all are on the street).

Possession of the weapon is dependent on several factors. If the weapon was on the person of one, its considered in his possession. If its in a common area within access of both, and neither cops to it, it is considered constructive possession and they both get charged. Hope this helps.

Thanks bro  - very much appreciate your professionalism.

Hmmmmm

John Idzik's first two signings haven't gone so well.  Wonder how long before the lynching's begin

This was to be expected. Look at Seatle's roster. Other than Wilson, it's filled with thugs and convicts.

Very nice, Lance.

This thread is sort of too long to look through. But to get the facts right as of now.

*His friend (or driver) is going to be charged with gun possession

*The driver is going to charge with DUI

*Goodson is going to be charge with an possession of ganja.

Is the above on point? If so then what's the big deal?

Breaking news:  Joe McKnight got Mike Goodson drunk, planted a gun and drugs on him and then called the cops.

LOL. Something like that actually happened in baseball in 1988.

Candelaria Says Sutton Set Him Up For Dui Arrest

March 02, 1988

New York Yankees pitcher John Candelaria says the first of his two drunken driving arrests last year was set up by a phone call to police by former California Angels teammate Don Sutton.

Candelaria, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times, said of Sutton`s phone call: ``He later told me it was out of concern for my well-being, but I think he acted out of self-preservation. He was pitching terrible at the time, seemed on the brink of release and was looking for a way to get me out of the rotation.``

Sutton, now with the Los Angeles Dodgers, was contacted by the newspaper for comment, but said only: ``I don`t want to explain it. I don`t want to deal with any of that crap.``

California manager Gene Mauch appeared to confirm that Sutton had informed police. ``I have to believe Sutton felt like he was doing what he thought was right, even if I don`t agree with what he did,`` Mauch said from the Angels` spring training camp in Mesa, Ariz.

The Angels put Candelaria on the disabled list twice in 1987 following his arrests for driving while under the influence. The first charge was dismissed, and the second is pending.

``It wasn`t my decision to go into therapy,`` Candelaria said of his two periods of rehabilitation.

He denied alcohol was the problem, but refused to explain further. It was known, though, that he went through an emotional trauma after the death of his infant son following a swimming pool accident the previous year.

Asked if he could have coped with the problems he had without leaving the team, Candelaria nodded, the newspaper said. But he added that Sutton complicated the problem by calling police after the team`s charter plane arrived at Ontario (Calif.) Airport after a flight from Detroit.

``I mean, if he was acting out of concern, why didn`t he ever call me when I was on the disabled list? Why didn`t he come to see me when I was traded (to the New York Mets late in the 1987 season)? We live only a quarter of a mile apart.``

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-03-02/sports/8804040159_1_dui-arrest-angels-spring-training-camp-don-sutton

If Idzik is smart he will cut this thug turd POS, go after and recover the signing bonus and use this as a defining moment in his career by making it known the NYJ will not tolerate this type behavior. I don't agree with ruining a guy for possession of a small amount of weed....ever, but the weapon, the thug/felon companion and being so drunk they are stopped, half passed out in the left lane of a Hwy is just beyond tolerable. If they don't dump this clown they deserve what they get going forward.

charged with:

1. possession of marijuana (under 50 grams)

2. possession of drug paraphernalia

3. unlawful possession of a handgun

4. possession of a loaded handgun

5. possession of hollow point ammunition.

BYE BYE.

Likely going to plea out.  DA will probably agree to drop the drug possession charges if he cops to the handgun and ammunition. 

Likely 12-16 months in jail before he is released on parole. 

If Idzik is smart he will cut this thug turd POS, go after and recover the signing bonus and use this as a defining moment in his career by making it known the NYJ will not tolerate this type behavior. I don't agree with ruining a guy for possession of a small amount of weed....ever, but the weapon, the thug/felon companion and being so drunk they are stopped, half passed out in the left lane of a Hwy is just beyond tolerable. If they don't dump this clown they deserve what they get going forward.

I totally agree.  Otherwise, it's just more of the SOS

Colon thinks Jets will dump Goodson

Posted by Mike Florio on May 18, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT

Earlier this month, the Jets cut defensive end Claude Davis and cornerback Cliff Harris after they were arrested for marijuana possession.

Now, the Jets face a more delicate dilemma.

With running back Mike Goodson facing guns and weapons charges, it’s easy at first blush to assume the Jets won’t mess around.  That’s precisely what Jets offensive lineman Willie Colon believes will happen.

“It’s one of the things where it’s zero-tolerance with stuff like that,” Colon said Saturday, per Seth Walder of the New York Daily News.  “It’s sad.  Mike could have been huge for us.”

He still could be.  As Colon learned during his time with the Steelers, certain players get the benefit of the doubt, and certain others become the example.  With Goodson, who received a $1 million signing bonus as part of a three-year, $6.9 million contract in March, the Jets could be inclined to give him a second chance.

Much of that depends on Goodson’s legal situation.  Some players get to continue playing while charges are pending; others (like Mike Vick) don’t.  If the NFL doesn’t suspend Goodson pending the resolution of these charges, the Jets can either keep Goodson on the team and possibly recoup some of the signing bonus if he’s suspended/incarcerated at a later date, or they can cut him and let him walk away with a far better deal than DeAngelo Hall’s $8 million for eight games.

Goodson would get $1 million for no games.

That gives the Jets one million reasons to keep him around.

I'm guessing Jason can answer this if he's around but can we cut him right now, or do we have to wait for the criminal proceedings/conviction to get out of the cap hit? If it doesn't matter I don't know why we are keeping him, we need a GM that can show the bullsh*t is over. I wanted them to do it with Holmes but that obviously wasn't happening

I'm guessing Jason can answer this if he's around but can we cut him right now, or do we have to wait for the criminal proceedings/conviction to get out of the cap hit? If it doesn't matter I don't know why we are keeping him, we need a GM that can show the bullsh*t is over. I wanted them to do it with Holmes but that obviously wasn't happening

Is it any different than the two guys they already cut for lesser issues?  I don't know if the contracts or the timing are, but if not, why keep this guy around if you already cut two other guys who really didn't do anything compared to Goodson. 

Is it any different than the two guys they already cut for lesser issues? I don't know if the contracts or the timing are, but if not, why keep this guy around if you already cut two other guys who really didn't do anything compared to Goodson.

It is different, there was no money really involved with those guys. This guy has a 2 mil guarantee. Tom responded to one of my posts earlier that if he does time we can get out of it. I'm just wondering if we cut him and he still does time do we recoup that, or do we only recoup if he's still under contract? Cause if we don't need him under contract he should have been gone yesterday

It is different, there was no money really involved with those guys. This guy has a 2 mil guarantee. Tom responded to one of my posts earlier that if he does time we can get out of it. I'm just wondering if we cut him and he still does time do we recoup that, or do we only recoup if he's still under contract? Cause if we don't need him under contract he should have been gone yesterday

IIRC, if he doesn't report because he's in jail, it constitutes a breach if contract and the Jets can recoup the signing bonus. Jason will know, though. I'm not sure if there's any conduct clause in his contract.

I doubt it.   If they have already given him $1,000,000 they will never get that back.  A lot of it will go to his legal defense.

Best thing to do is just do nothing and see how it plays out. If he  pleas  out of the gun charge, avoids jail, he will most likely remain a Jet.

I doubt it.   If they have already given him $1,000,000 they will never get that back.  A lot of it will go to his legal defense.

Best thing to do is just do nothing and see how it plays out. If he  pleas  out of the gun charge, avoids jail, he will most likely remain a Jet.

I wanted them to eat the money when I thought we were stuck on the 2 mil for the new GM to show he's a spineless jellyfish like Tanny. I could care less about the million it's worth that and more for Idzik to establish a base given what has been going on here. I'm saying **** that million I want him gone, he shouldn't be a jet because this isn't just some misunderstanding he got caught in the middle of. I have no moral ground to condemn anyone but this is a professional football team and I'm not making millions. My only question, I want to understand if we can cut him today and have the same benefit of recouping the money and more important cap as if we keep him?

Archived