Mike Goodson Arrested: MERGED (UPDATED WITH CHARGES)

Matt39

If Idzik is smart he will cut this thug turd POS, go after and recover the signing bonus and use this as a defining moment in his career by making it known the NYJ will not tolerate this type behavior. I don't agree with ruining a guy for possession of a small amount of weed....ever, but the weapon, the thug/felon companion and being so drunk they are stopped, half passed out in the left lane of a Hwy is just beyond tolerable. If they don't dump this clown they deserve what they get going forward.

Great post.  This is a guy you have no history with.  He has earned no good will.   Set the tone by releasing him and move on.

Good thing we cut Tebow without giving him a chance and got rid of the circus that is the New York Jets.....pffffft

Tebow didn't have a chance?  I saw him at a few practices he had a uniform on but seemed like he wanted to play QB.  But they gave him a chance.

... My only question, I want to understand if we can cut him today and have the same benefit of recouping the money and more important cap as if we keep him?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll take a guess.

First, I really think the $1 million upfront money is gone.  I've been following sports a long time, and I honestly don't recall any club in any sport getting a player to give money back.  Besides, as flgreen pointed out, that money will most likely go to his legal defense.

As to $2 million guaranteed salary-I would think that as long as the guy is willing to show up and is able to play, you would have to pay him.  At the point that he gets convicted and sentenced, then I guess you don't have to pay him.  Unless Goodson has a "morals clause" in his contract that says he if he screws up, he doesn't get paid.

Possibly all this can be changed by the commish who can suspend Goodson w/o pay.

I would expect that is the way it would work.

First, I really think the $1 million upfront money is gone.  I've been following sports a long time, and I honestly don't recall any club in any sport getting a player to give money back.  Besides, as flgreen pointed out, that money will most likely go to his legal defense.

As to $2 million guaranteed salary-I would think that as long as the guy is willing to show up and is able to play, you would have to pay him.  At the point that he gets convicted and sentenced, then I guess you don't have to pay him.  Unless Goodson has a "morals clause" in his contract that says he if he screws up, he doesn't get paid.

Possibly all this can be changed by the commish who can suspend Goodson w/o pay.

I appreciate the answer but I want Jason's cause it will be correct. He's the lone intelligent bright spot in this cesspool of retardation we call JN, even the great Rich Cimini steals from him. It sounds like a breach of contract thing if he can't play which would entail we get it all back but I'm unsure if he can breach a contract if he's cut or we need to keep him under contract.

Edited by SayNoToDMC

This is hilarious. Add another notch in the joke of a football franchise. Rexy's Thug Life is working out well

There was the Braylon DUI, the Santonio Holmes headphones incident and Kenrick Ellis who was charged with something before he got here but those charges were dismissed.

You realize we've had basically no criminals on this team under Rex right? In a league that's full of them? And how do you want to blame Rex for a guy like Goodson, who he hasn't even coached...

Edited by stoicsentry
  • Upvote 1

There was the Braylon DUI, the Santonio Holmes headphones incident and Kenrick Ellis who was charged with something before he got here but those charges were dismissed.

You realize we've had basically no criminals on this team under Rex right? In a league that's full of them? And how do you want to blame Rex for a guy like Goodson, who he hasn't even coached...

I would disagree. They created lemon laws for guys like Rex, Mark and Santonio should be charged with a count of robbery for each PSL owner and Tanny should probably get the chair for his crimes.

Those chargers were not dismissed.

Ellis did time last offseason. and will finish his sentence this offseason.

I do agree with the overall theme of your post

Lets not forget BT who likes to put his hands on a bitch!

Bul i agree...we havent had the probation violators that this league has become flooded with.

nyjetscap ‏@nyjetscap 

I think if #Jets want to recover bonus money they need to let situation play out. If jailed and misses time I know its definitely a breach 

The problem with waiting to see if he goes to jail or not is, it will take over a year if this thing goes to trial.

It is very possible that all this kid is really guilty of is being stupid, and having a bit of pot on him.  Slap on the wrist.

Again the problem is that his buddy is a convicted felon, from another gun charge no less, and is very unlikely to step up and admit ownership to the gun and clear Goodson.   He'll be looking at BIG jail time in N J.

Think the best thing for the Jets to do is nothing.   Let him come to camp, and see how it plays out

Not the same situaton of course, but Barry Sanders is one example of a player that was forced to. Ricky Williams was going to be another which is why he ended his abrupt retirement.

I read online that he has been paid 500K so far so NYJ should just let him suck it for the balance.

On a lighter note, saw this on Yahoo, Giants once had Thunder and Lightning,

Jets now have Felony and Ivory ☺.............. I know.....weak, but hey this is how far the beat down has taken this team.

• Upvote 1

Its likely in the Jets best interests to let Goodson remain on the team. What should happen is that if jailed he will be forced to return his signing bonus money for games missed. That is not the case if they just cut him. Even if they wanted to withhold the remainder of his bonus payments its going to be hard to legally do so under some conduct clause. All that has happened is an accusation of a crime. They need him to be guilty before anything. 

That said the Jets have backed themselves into a corner because they want to prove an example to the media and the team. They cut two no-names for drug issues but the facts were they were just convenient scapegoats. The Jets had to cut players to fit their UDFAs into the 90 man limit. Those two were likely gone anyway. They could have practiced another week but either way they were going. Once that occurred it gave Idzik room to preach to the team about how this wont be tolerated. Now there is money involved so it makes for a more difficult decision.

• Upvote 1

Its likely in the Jets best interests to let Goodson remain on the team. What should happen is that if jailed he will be forced to return his signing bonus money for games missed. That is not the case if they just cut him. Even if they wanted to withhold the remainder of his bonus payments its going to be hard to legally do so under some conduct clause. All that has happened is an accusation of a crime. They need him to be guilty before anything. 

That said the Jets have backed themselves into a corner because they want to prove an example to the media and the team. They cut two no-names for drug issues but the facts were they were just convenient scapegoats. The Jets had to cut players to fit their UDFAs into the 90 man limit. Those two were likely gone anyway. They could have practiced another week but either way they were going. Once that occurred it gave Idzik room to preach to the team about how this wont be tolerated. Now there is money involved so it makes for a more difficult decision.

Not just money, actual talent as well.  Goodson has excellent hands, untapped potential and an opportunity to thrive in Mornhinweg's offense.  I believe the talent part is what hurts more than the million dollars, but obviously both sting.

so 2 nobodies get busted and are promptly cut

this turd gets busted and he's still on the team

over money ?

bullsh*t

Well that and the fact that they gave him that money because they thought he had talent. The plan seemed to be that he'd be the third down back, maybe more. Rather than looking for an out of his contract, they could be hoping, instead, that the other guy in the car takes possession of the gun, hollow points, and weed, and all this goes away.

Well that and the fact that they gave him that money because they thought he had talent. The plan seemed to be that he'd be the third down back, maybe more. Rather than looking for an out of his contract, they could be hoping, instead, that the other guy in the car takes possession of the gun, hollow points, and weed, and all this goes away.

this is a wasted year for the jets.  3-13 territory.  make a statement now and end the circus.  think of it as a parent.  you let the kid get away with it, the next time it's worse.  if the jets look the other way this is a very bad start for idzy imho

Larz:

As others have pointed out, Goodson only has been accused of a crime.

Do we know if the gun was even in a visible place when the police searched the car?

Or imagine this, (just playing Devil's Advocate):

Goodson goes out with an old friend from the neighborhood.  Yes, he used to be in trouble but now that he's out of jail he's been okay.  They go to several clubs, his friend driving, and they drink more and more.  In the parking lot of the last place, his friend pulls out some weed.  They smoke a little together with the radio on, then his friend pulls out a gun and brags about it during the conversation.  At this point they're both pretty wasted.  He puts the gun down, they talk for a few minutes more and then starts driving home.  On the way home they see the red light in the rear view mirror, hear the siren, and pull over.

Edited by kelticwizard

this is a wasted year for the jets.  3-13 territory.  make a statement now and end the circus.  think of it as a parent.  you let the kid get away with it, the next time it's worse.  if the jets look the other way this is a very bad start for idzy imho

I'm thinking of it as a fan with Ivory on the sidelines in a hoodie and a bandage on some part of his body with McKnight and Powell contributing strongly to a new record for 3 and outs. I hope Evans cops to everything in the rap and Goodson becomes a luckiest man in the world candidate. 

Larz:

As others have pointed out, Goodson only has been accused of a crime.

Do we know if the gun was even in a visible place when the police searched the car?

Or imagine this, (just playing Devil's Advocate):

Goodson goes out with an old friend from the neighborhood.  Yes, he used to be in trouble but now that he's out of jail he's been okay.  They go to several clubs, his friend driving, and they drink more and more.  In the parking lot of the last place, his friend pulls out some weed.  They smoke a little together with the radio on, then his friend pulls out a gun and brags about it during the conversation.  At this point they're both pretty wasted.  He puts the gun down, they talk for a few minutes more and then starts driving home.  On the way home they see the red light in the rear view mirror, hear the siren, and pull over.

were you here defending the guys we can't name without looking them up when they got cut ?    there is a reason the effing raiders let him walk

the effing raiders

screw this punk. 

this season is a wasted year with or without this guy.  send the message

I'm thinking of it as a fan with Ivory on the sidelines in a hoodie and a bandage on some part of his body with McKnight and Powell contributing strongly to a new record for 3 and outs. I hope Evans cops to everything in the rap and Goodson becomes a luckiest man in the world candidate. 

why ?  so the locker room sees the double standard and holmes goes to vegas with hookers and coke ?  as a fan its the same idea.  end the circus and send the message.  that dude is just collecting paychecks here, not taking it seriously

as a fan do you want the jets to be where guys go to collect checks and not take winning seriously ?

maybe he was dumb for that. But how do we know he even knew it was in there?

a gun could be hidden in my rental car id never know unless police searched it

This definitely sounds like it could just be a huge misunderstanding. I work for Enterprise and this honestly happens all the time

Edited by SayNoToDMC

he was in the car.  so at the minimum he's dumb enough to be in the car with guns and weed

see ya

So being a passenger in the car means he knew that there was a loaded gun in the car? As far as the pot, yeah dumb but he's cetainly among many others in the NFL doing the same thing. If the guns charges are dropped, then you're talking about a one game suspension max and no jail time.

why ?  so the locker room sees the double standard and holmes goes to vegas with hookers and coke ?  as a fan its the same idea.  end the circus and send the message.  that dude is just collecting paychecks here, not taking it seriously

as a fan do you want the jets to be where guys go to collect checks and not take winning seriously ?

Double standard? If LT were a Jet instead of a Giant would you be calling him a punk and want hime cut because he was coke head?I know that's an extreme example, but you get the point. 

Edited by billo83

Not at all man, I have almost no tolerance for diva's/privileged/thugs/trash. I think, and could be 100% wrong, that Goodson's crime here was to be sh1tfaced in a car with a convicted felon who had weed and a gun with hollow points in it. Total jackass move to be in the car with him and loaded to that degree, but if that's his crime - I'm all about clarifying the facts and setting the punishment at that point. And selfishly, maybe, keeping a guy on our roster that could be a difference maker when we really need one. ALL of this assumption is based on the fact that I haven't seen anything in the media about Goodson being a turd to any degree. He got fined in Oakland for making the throat slashing gesture, but that's all the negative I've seen on him.   

Double standard? If LT were a Jet instead of a Giant would you be calling him a punk and want hime cut because he was coke head?I know that's an extreme example, but you get the point. 

If Mike Goodson was a HoF level running back I would start a defense fund for him right now, but he's a JAG and that's how life works.

If Mike Goodson was a HoF level running back I would start a defense fund for him right now, but he's a JAG and that's how life works.

As I stated this was an extreme example but the point remains. I was replying to Larz who was complaining about said double standard and trying to point out where this fails. I have no problem with the Jets waiting for this run its course. The other 2 players who were cut were going to cut anyway so I don't see where the problem is.

were you here defending the guys we can't name without looking them up when they got cut ?.....

.....this season is a wasted year with or without this guy. send the message

No I didn't defend Hoozits and Whatzis because they were just trying out-essentially undergoing a job interview process. During a job interview they can shoot you down for just anything at all.

Goodson signed a contract. The Jets made it clear that he was part of the team, and money was contracted for and a certified check was given. Now they can't shoot him down for just anything at all unless they want to pay, or unless Goodson breaches. Or unless there is some specific clause in his contract which says that an arrest of this type constitutes a breach.

His connection to the gun in the car, if any, has not been established. That's what trials are for. He had a small amount of weed on him. If the Jets want to let him go because they have established themselves as the zero tolerance team in regards to marijuana, fine, though since 52% of the country now favors legalization that might not be as necessary as they think.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/partisans-disagree-on-legalization-of-marijuana-but-agree-on-law-enforcement-policies/

If you think it's necessary to cut Goodson  to establish that this regime does things different than previous ones, okay. But get ready to pay.

Edited by kelticwizard