Cap Update: Trimming The Fat

flgreen

Cap update: Trimming the fat

May, 27, 2013
May 27

8:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

In mid-February, the 10 highest cap figures on the Jets accounted for $105 million of the $123 million salary cap. That total is down to $77 million, according to NFLPA figures. They did it by releasing players and restructuring contracts. Interestingly, one of the top charges belongs to a player no longer on the team -- Darrelle Revis, who was traded to the Bucs. That's what you call "dead" money, folks. The good news for the Jets? Revis will be off the books in 2014.

Here's the top 10:

1. Darrelle Revis, CB -- $13.0 million*

1. David Harris, LB -- $13.0 million

3. Mark Sanchez, QB -- $12.9 million

4. Nick Mangold, C -- $9.1 million

5. Santonio Holmes, WR -- $9.0 million

6. Antonio Cromartie, CB -- $6.5 million

7. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LT -- $5.6 million

8. Calvin Pace, LB -- $3.6 million**

9. Sione Po'uha, DT -- $2.3 million

10. Austin Howard, RT -- $2.0 million

* -- Dead money

** -- Includes $3.0 million in dead money from previous contract

Cap update: Trimming the fat

May, 27, 2013

May 27

8:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

In mid-February, the 10 highest cap figures on the Jets accounted for $105 million of the $123 million salary cap. That total is down to $77 million, according to NFLPA figures. They did it by releasing players and restructuring contracts. Interestingly, one of the top charges belongs to a player no longer on the team -- Darrelle Revis, who was traded to the Bucs. That's what you call "dead" money, folks. The good news for the Jets? Revis will be off the books in 2014.

Here's the top 10:

1. Darrelle Revis, CB -- $13.0 million*

1. David Harris, LB -- $13.0 million

3. Mark Sanchez, QB -- $12.9 million

4. Nick Mangold, C -- $9.1 million

5. Santonio Holmes, WR -- $9.0 million

6. Antonio Cromartie, CB -- $6.5 million

7. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LT -- $5.6 million

8. Calvin Pace, LB -- $3.6 million**

9. Sione Po'uha, DT -- $2.3 million

10. Austin Howard, RT -- $2.0 million

* -- Dead money

** -- Includes $3.0 million in dead money from previous contract

:suicide:

Santonio Holmes is one of the worst acquisitions in Jets history, considering how little he's done on the field and how cancerous he's been off of it. Total scumbag.

I agree , Homes was a terrible pick up but he is the only play maker the team on the team and put the RB hanging with a guy drunk with a handgun in the car , he going to jail

It sums up the Tanny era in the same way the butt fumble gif sums up the Sanchez. Clumsy and inept

He sold out on winning it in 09-10... He knew just as well as anyone that Revis would be hard to resign long term, that Rex was a great D coach and the majority of the defense was at the tail end of its prime (Scott, Pouha, BThomas, S. Ellis, etc).  He traded a lot to land Braylon, Cromartie, and Holmes, and signed aging vets like Woody and Faneca to shore up the OL.   

He spent the money to win now... And as a result, when they didn't, left the team in horrible shape for the future. 

Santonio Holmes is one of the worst acquisitions in Jets history, considering how little he's done on the field and how cancerous he's been off of it. Total scumbag.

Sorry, that goes to Tebow. Even with his sh*tty attitude and overrated play, Holmes can still contribute this season. 

Holmes doesn't deserve the hate he gets around here.

He was a brilliant acquisition for great value that almost put us over the top. The contract that followed was terrible though. 

**** THIS ******* SITE NOT LETTING ME EDIT POSTS PROPERLY! DAMN IT TO HELL

He sold out on winning it in 09-10... He knew just as well as anyone that Revis would be hard to resign long term, that Rex was a great D coach and the majority of the defense was at the tail end of its prime (Scott, Pouha, BThomas, S. Ellis, etc).  He traded a lot to land Braylon, Cromartie, and Holmes, and signed aging vets like Woody and Faneca to shore up the OL.   

He spent the money to win now... And as a result, when they didn't, left the team in horrible shape for the future. 

Bingo

Funny thing is, right now Tanny is considered a bum.  If the gamble had paid off we would be enshrining him in the HOF.

go figure

Holmes is talented, but he's not $9 million dollars+Royal pain in the ass talented.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this assessment.  That said, the reality is that it's not really the acquisition itself that was the problem, a 5th rounder for even just a one year rental I thought was a respectable enough move for Tanny, especially when compared to a lot of the other immeasurably retarded moves he made.  It was the subsequent contract that was blatantly moronic and dug this present hole for the Jets.

He sold out on winning it in 09-10... He knew just as well as anyone that Revis would be hard to resign long term, that Rex was a great D coach and the majority of the defense was at the tail end of its prime (Scott, Pouha, BThomas, S. Ellis, etc). He traded a lot to land Braylon, Cromartie, and Holmes, and signed aging vets like Woody and Faneca to shore up the OL.

Close, but he "sold out" in 2008 with Favre, Faneca, Calvin Pace, Damien Woody, and trading ever more draft picks for Kris Jenkins. Tannenbaum didn't have a plan, per se. He spent his entire time as GM frantically plugging holes he created by burning draft picks in trades. Consider that he gave big-money contracts to an ILB, a G, a NT, and an OLB that didn't rush the passer--it's almost puke-worthy to think about.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this assessment. That said, the reality is that it's not really the acquisition itself that was the problem, a 5th rounder for even just a one year rental I thought was a respectable enough move for Tanny, especially when compared to a lot of the other immeasurably retarded moves he made. It was the subsequent contract that was blatantly moronic and dug this present hole for the Jets.

Fair point to you and IJ.

He sold out on winning it in 09-10... He knew just as well as anyone that Revis would be hard to resign long term, that Rex was a great D coach and the majority of the defense was at the tail end of its prime (Scott, Pouha, BThomas, S. Ellis, etc). He traded a lot to land Braylon, Cromartie, and Holmes, and signed aging vets like Woody and Faneca to shore up the OL.

he did load up... but he stupidly paired a win now team with an inexperienced young qb. it was freaken stupid, we should've sold out on getting Favre back

Holmes doesn't deserve the hate he gets around here.

He was a brilliant acquisition for great value that almost put us over the top. The contract that followed was terrible though. 

**** THIS ******* SITE NOT LETTING ME EDIT POSTS PROPERLY! DAMN IT TO HELL

I disagree.  I think he deserves a lot more than he gets.

he did load up... but he stupidly paired a win now team with an inexperienced young qb. it was freaken stupid, we should've sold out on getting Favre back

Favre never wanted to be here and was never coming back.  Drafting Sanchez was okay, but trading up for him and starting him right away was dumb.

Favre never wanted to be here and was never coming back.  Drafting Sanchez was okay, but trading up for him and starting him right away was dumb.

We had his rights.. we should've forced his hillbilly ass to retire. At a minimum, Rex should've flown down there and recruited him. I have no problem with Sanchez draft, but we needed a viable starter on the roster, given his lack of collegiate experience.

Harris doesn't suck.  He's not as good as his paycheck indicates, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's awful.

The guy would have trouble covering me out of the backfield and you don't pay a one dimensional 3-4 Run stuffing LBer that kind of money. I'm really hoping Demario Davis lives up to the hype cause having somebody with speed next to Harris could really help, I'll still never understand why they didn't give him a look when the season was over last year. We all knew Scott was as good as gone.

The acquisition part was well worth the risk and the compensation the Jets gave up.  The part that has been an issue is the contract extension Tanny gave him.

The acquisition part was well worth the risk and the compensation the Jets gave up. The part that has been an issue is the contract extension Tanny gave him.

Whatever. The Steelers were laughing their asses off when they cut that deal with Tannenbaum.

Whatever. The Steelers were laughing their asses off when they cut that deal with Tannenbaum.

A 5th rounder?  Really?  Laughing their asses off?  I'm sure they were glad to be rid of Holmes and what-not, and I'm sure they WERE laughing when we handed the guy $50 million, but there's no way the Steelers could have been that pleased with the compensation.  It was a "good riddance" move, not a "we just ripped them off" move.

Had we merely let Santonio go after the season it would have been savvy.  Get a solid year out of the guy, let him get paid elsewhere, and maybe even get a nice compensatory pick out of the deal after the guy helped us get to the playoffs.  

Honestly, trading for Holmes was one of Tannenbaum's better moves.  Former first round draft pick still under his (dirt cheap) rookie contract, coming off a season with 79 receptions for 1248 yards and in his most recent game was the superbowl MVP.  I'd make a move like that with our 5th round pick every single year.

The poison was in re-signing him, not in giving up a 5th rounder for 12 games of Holmes for a non-guaranteed $500K in a contract year.

Kind of amazing what Rex was able to do with that doofus running the show and that other doofus at QB.

Looking at the draft philosophy and how it changed between Mangini and Rex it would seem they had way to much input on personnel. Tanny wasn't a real GM, he was a cap guy(who wasn't even good at that) that was promoted when Mangini came here thinking just because he had the personality of a brick he was Bill Belichick. Mangini was an awful coach but outside of a couple boneheaded picks he wasn't awful at the draft.

Harris doesn't suck.  He's not as good as his paycheck indicates, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's awful.

I wasn't talking about Harris, but Pace.  If I misunderstood, that was my bad.  You're right that Harris doesn't suck.  He's just too slow and doesn't make enough big plays to be paid what he is.

Pace was never worth what he was paid initially, then with all the restructuring and guaranteeing of his contracts by Tanny, he was like an albatross around the Jets' necks.

Archived