Jets' Smith says Jay-Z 'didn't recruit me'

stugotz81

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- New York Jets rookie quarterbackGeno Smith has no concerns about questions surrounding the process in which he picked an agent, saying ''Jay-Z didn't recruit me.''

Smith fired his former agency, Priority Sports, shortly after the NFL draft last month and announced last week that he signed with the hip-hop star's Roc Nation Sports. Smith also said his contract agent would be Kimberly Miale.

NFL.com first reported that the NFL Players Association is ''aggressively pursuing'' Jay-Z's role in getting Smith to sign with his agency. Agents not certified by the NFLPA can't recruit players to sign with certified agents, as Miale is.

Smith, competing with Mark Sanchez for the starting job, says he chose Roc Nation solely because it was something he and his family ''felt comfortable with.''

Just because three 18-year old Lithuanian Ford models show up at your hotel room carrying a brick of Bolivia's finest marijuana with a note that says, "Compliments of Jay," that doesn't mean he's "recruiting" you, per se. He could just be that nice of a guy.

Just because three 18-year old Lithuanian Ford models show up at your hotel room carrying a brick of Bolivia's finest marijuana with a note that says, "Compliments of Jay," that doesn't mean he's "recruiting" you, per se. He could just be that nice of a guy.

All the way to Bolivia and all he brought me was Marijuana? It's a good thing he didn't try and sign Erik Ainge

I'm Lithuanian, and feel offended simply by you just typing the word. I'd prefer it if you refer to Latvian and Estonian Ford models in the future. Thanks.

Meanwhile, Geno Smith is a nice business gamble for a fledgling management group. He probably wasn't too sought after as a second round pick, but if he hits as a NY starting QB, it'll pay off big for his new agents - provided they don't get fired in a few years.

I'm Lithuanian, and feel offended simply by you just typing the word. I'd prefer it if you refer to Latvian and Estonian Ford models...

If it's any consolation, I've always thought that your people made excellent snipers in all the movies.

Archived