WTF is an Obomanu and where the hell is Braylon??

shhwagah

The Jets recently aquired WR Ben Obomanu.

"Ben Obomanu (6'1", 204 / Auburn / Selma, AL) entered the NFL as a seventh-round pick by Seattle in the 2006 draft. He played six seasons for the Seahawks before he was released March 17. For his career, he has appeared in 66 games and has logged 87 receptions for 1,209 yards with seven touchdowns. In 2012, he played in eight games and caught four passes for 58 yards." - New York Jets website

Lets take a closer look at this guys number versus Braylon's numbers in his brief moment as a Jet in 2012.

Braylon:

Games Played: 3

Receptions/Targets: 10/18

Total Yards: 125

Average: 12.5 YPC

This Obomanu guy:

Games Played: 8

Receptions/Targets: 4/9

Total Yards:  58

Average:  14.5

Everyone will have their own opinion and reasoning. Me? I'm going to keep it simple. Braylon produced more with MARK SANCHEZ throwing to him, than that guy Obomanu with Russel Wilson throwing to him. Sure, sure, tell me about how Obomanu was overshadowed by Golden Tate (hehe), and Sidney Rice. I don't give a shht. Braylon is without a doubt the hungriest player without a contract right now.

Idzik's been doing a bang up job so far, but I feel like he's trying to piss me off personally with this issue. 

It's not like he's young, either - they're about the same age. I really don't get it. If he'll sign for anywhere NEAR the vet minimum then do it now!!!!!! What were they even thinking with this Obamnu guy? He sucks worse than Schilens or White even!

It's not like he's young, either - they're about the same age. I really don't get it. If he'll sign for anywhere NEAR the vet minimum then do it now!!!!!! What were they even thinking with this Obamnu guy? He sucks worse than Schilens or White even!

I'm pretty sure Braylon is willing to play for a pack of skittles and an autographed Sanchez jersey. I don't understand.

Has a player that has done less over two seasons ever gotten this board's panties in such a bunch?

He puts on the green and white and he becomes a beast. Have you seen him play for the Jets before? He's the last beastly WR we've had and he's CHEAP. 

The Jets were looking at someone who will competing for a spot at the very bottom of their depth chart.  I doubt Edwards would be particularly happy with such a situation and furthermore, Obomanu brings a value on special teams that Edwards does not, and is kind of required out of your 4th/5th/6th WR.

Forgetting even that, also keep in mind Idzik was part of the very same Seattle front office that reportedly had some serious issues with Edwards and sent him packing mid-season last year, also opting to keep Obomoanu around over him in that process.  I can't say that there's anything particularly shocking about Idzik's opinion not drastically changing on that matter over the past 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Braylon's, it just became pretty clear when Idzik came to town that the chances of seeing him back on the Jets were very low.

The Jets were looking at someone who will competing for a spot at the very bottom of their depth chart.  I doubt Edwards would be particularly happy with such a situation and furthermore, Obomanu brings a value on special teams that Edwards does not, and is kind of required out of your 4th/5th/6th WR.

Forgetting even that, also keep in mind Idzik was part of the very same Seattle front office that reportedly had some serious issues with Edwards and sent him packing mid-season last year, also opting to keep Obomoanu around over him in that process.  I can't say that there's anything particularly shocking about Idzik's opinion not drastically changing on that matter over the past 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Braylon's, it just became pretty clear when Idzik came to town that the chances of seeing him back on the Jets were very low.

We made you Captain 1 year too early.

Why sign someone to compete at the bottom of the depth chart when adding Braylon knocks a few WRs down the depth chart? For CHEAP! We have all the special teams players we need already. Some of these UDFAs will stick on the roster and contribute to ST. No sense in adding another dude Braylon's age to try and contribute there.

I wonder what happened to send Braylon packing. I think it was a nagging injury, so I have to wonder what his health is like now.

Why sign someone to compete at the bottom of the depth chart when adding Braylon knocks a few WRs down the depth chart? For CHEAP! We have all the special teams players we need already. Some of these UDFAs will stick on the roster and contribute to ST. No sense in adding another dude Braylon's age to try and contribute there.

I wonder what happened to send Braylon packing. I think it was a nagging injury, so I have to wonder what his health is like now.

Like it or not, the Jets aren't moving anyone down the depth chart for Braylon's sake.  Health permitting, the top 3 are pretty much locked in as Holmes, Hill and Kerley.  Hill is the only one there who might not be deserving of his spot, but he also has the highest upside by far and so they'll give him every last chance to take it.  Not to mention, in less games played and with significantly worse QB play for the majority of the season, Hill still outperformed Braylon last year, and while in his rookie year.  Only if Hill shows himself to be completely incapable of the responsibility all the way through July and August might you see the Jets making a play for a WR they're worried about possibly needing to start.

Until that time, the Jets are clearly focusing themselves more on depth at the position than anything, which again means having guys who provide more versatility and can contribute in areas like special teams.  While the Jets could end up possibly sticking with one or more of the UDFAs at the position that will address that, a pickup like this is a matter of hedging their bets so that they're not forcing themselves into a situation where they have to keep some of those guys on even if they aren't completely happy with them.  It's not about picking up potential starting caliber players at this point, but rather simple depth, something the Jets were notoriously awful at building in Tanny's time here, in part because of a lack of moves like this, as unimpressive as it may be.  If the Jets find themselves in need of a starter at the position, at that point I would expect to see them approach things differently, but it doesn't seem as if that's what they're currently looking for.

Like it or not he Jets aren't moving anyone down the depth chart for Braylon's sake. Health permitting, the top 3 are pretty much locked in as Holmes, Hill and Kerley. Hill is the only one there who might not be deserving of his spot, but he also has the highest upside by far and so they'll give him every last chance to take it. Not to mention, in less games played and with significantly worse QB play for the majority of the season, Hill still outperformed Braylon last year, and while in his rookie year. Only if Hill shows himself to be completely incapable of the responsibility all the way through July and August might you see the Jets making a play for a WR they're worried about possibly needing to start.

We wouldn't be knocking anyone down on the depth chart for Braylon's sake; it would happen naturally. Gates and Mayo could be knocked down a notch or released. Bray could split time with Hill to allow him to develop properly.

I understand what you are saying about versatility and depth; but sometimes you just need a WR that can go get the ball, body smaller corners, and take the ball away from bigger corners (if you want to argue his abilities go watch vid of him while he was a Jet).

His lack of versatility will cost us the veterans minimum and a roster spot. We will gain his leadership at a time when some of the younger WRs like Hill really need it. Imo there's no better WR that Hill can learn from right now. He needs to learn how to use his body like Bray. Bray struggled at the beginning of his career just like Hill. I know we won't sign him though.

Our wide receiver corp was garbage last season. Sure, a lot of it had to do with injury. But the big issue was a lack of depth. We gave a bunch of guys a shot, and none of them produced anything. Braylon always produced for us. Bring him back. No one has ever said depth was a bad thing. I am not too concerned he is taking snaps away from Schilens, Gates, or the flock of other nobody nothings.

Our wide receiver corp was garbage last season. Sure, a lot of it had to do with injury. But the big issue was a lack of depth. We gave a bunch of guys a shot, and none of them produced anything. Braylon always produced for us. Bring him back. No one has ever said depth was a bad thing. I am not too concerned he is taking snaps away from Schilens, Gates, or the flock of other nobody nothings.

I actually liked what I saw out of Clyde Gates, when Sanchez managed to get it in the vicinity of his hands.  We don't really know what our WR corps is capable of yet, healthy or not.

I actually liked what I saw out of Clyde Gates, when Sanchez managed to get it in the vicinity of his hands.  We don't really know what our WR corps is capable of yet, healthy or not.

Well, yeah someone who can actually aim the ball would be nice. But now we are nitpicking and wanting it all. A football team with a dude who can throw and some dudes who can catch? wtf do you think this is, the NFL? 

Gates... I think speed. I saw none. I would like to see him get a chance to catch the ball and run with it. I don't think thats asking too much. My only point is, Braylon won't be expensive, and he has proven valuable for this organization. Whats the downside? A roster spot? Cut one of the many tiny corners we are messing with. Downside, snaps from other wide outs? I am confident that an NFL team can see when someone is worth a turd or not. 

Well, yeah someone who can actually aim the ball would be nice. But now we are nitpicking and wanting it all. A football team with a dude who can throw and some dudes who can catch? wtf do you think this is, the NFL? 

Gates... I think speed. I saw none. I would like to see him get a chance to catch the ball and run with it. I don't think thats asking too much. My only point is, Braylon won't be expensive, and he has proven valuable for this organization. Whats the downside? A roster spot? Cut one of the many tiny corners we are messing with. Downside, snaps from other wide outs? I am confident that an NFL team can see when someone is worth a turd or not. 

Meh, I'm in the "who cares?" camp.  If they bring him in, whatever.  If not, it gives some other guys a shot.  We have a few UDFA's and other young guys to look at in those 4-5-6 WR spots.  Obamanu fills the "veteran receiver in case Santonio can't go or Hill isn't ready to make progress" kind of role for us, it would seem.

Meh, I'm in the "who cares?" camp.  If they bring him in, whatever.  If not, it gives some other guys a shot.  We have a few UDFA's and other young guys to look at in those 4-5-6 WR spots.  Obamanu fills the "veteran receiver in case Santonio can't go or Hill isn't ready to make progress" kind of role for us, it would seem.

Obamanu? You can't be serious. And giving young guys a chance, I am all for it. But I cannot see all of them being better than Braylon to where we shouldn't secure him for our fifth man. 

Obamanu? You can't be serious. And giving young guys a chance, I am all for it. But I cannot see all of them being better than Braylon to where we shouldn't secure him for our fifth man. 

Again, you don't get a non-special teamer to be your # 5 receiver.  Roster spots are precious.  Unless Braylon is an impact guy who can take one of the top 3 WR spots (he won't unless Holmes can't go), you don't sign a guy like that.

Again, you don't get a non-special teamer to be your # 5 receiver.  Roster spots are precious.  Unless Braylon is an impact guy who can take one of the top 3 WR spots (he won't unless Holmes can't go), you don't sign a guy like that.

He can play right tackle? Better blocker than Vlad, thats for sure. Dual threat.

I'm pretty sure Braylon is willing to play for a pack of skittles and an autographed Sanchez jersey. I don't understand.

He should hold out and just try to get two packs of skittles, lol.

Archived