WTF is an Obomanu and where the hell is Braylon??

shhwagah

Again, you don't get a non-special teamer to be your # 5 receiver.  Roster spots are precious.  Unless Braylon is an impact guy who can take one of the top 3 WR spots (he won't unless Holmes can't go), you don't sign a guy like that.

Even is Edwards is 50% of what he was, if Holmes can't go, and I don't think he will, Edwards is the #1 WR.

Even is Edwards is 50% of what he was, if Holmes can't go, and I don't think he will, Edwards is the #1 WR.

Then perhaps you sign him when/if we find that to be the case.  It's not like anyone out there is tripping over themselves to sign the guy.  There's no urgency there.

Our receivers were pathetic last year and everyone knows it.  When Braylon was here the first time, he produced big.  Even last year, when he came back at the tail end of a year that the passing game was rapidly spiralling downhill, he played 3 games and caught 10 passes in just those three games.  Coming in cold.

Now just imagine how much better he does if the Jets get him into training camp and he learns the plays from the start of the year.  For it is in training camp that the real personality of a team is built-you just can't add people on during the season and expect the same performance out of them.

According to Rotoworld the Jets also worked out Derek Hagan, from Miami.

I don't get it. We obviously need to address the position given our current depth (or lack thereof)... Is Brandon Lloyd THAT bad?

Lloyd is a washed-up old douchebag.  Beyond that though, the same logic holds true for Lloyd that does for Braylon, he doesn't bring anything else to the table.  The point is that your 4th/5th/6th WRs (which are the spots any of these guys would be fighting for), aren't going to get a ton of action in the passing game (particularly not on a team like the Jets), so they need to earn their keep on the roster and even more so on the active game day roster, by contribution in other areas, such as special teams.  Obomanu and Hagan both provide that, neither Edwards nor Lloyd would.  If Holmes health isn't an issue, the reality is that there's nobody out there who's going to be given a chance to unseat the Jets top 3 WRs, so any other WR who wants to be active on game day needs to contribute on special teams as well, otherwise they'll essentially be just about useless.

Not to mention, gives like Edwards and Lloyd are going to be much more pissy about the prospect of not only having such a low spot on the depth chart, but having to fight for it no less.  There's not going to be a whole lot of issues created if someone like Obomanu gets passed on the depth chart, or ultimately beat out for a roster spot, by some random UDFA or other complete nobody.  Same can't be said for some of these other guys.

Hate on me all you want, but I do honestly feel that if you sign a dirt-cheap, healthy Edwards, there is a damn good chance he winds up the #1 WR on the team.  There is absolutely no downside to bringing him aboard.  Holmes is small, scares no one, and probably not even healthy.  Hill has yet to prove he can even catch a football.  Kerley is probably the best weapon of the three, but he's clearly not a red zone threat.  Edwards would fit in quite nicely, in fact.

Hate on me all you want, but I do honestly feel that if you sign a dirt-cheap, healthy Edwards, there is a damn good chance he winds up the #1 WR on the team.  There is absolutely no downside to bringing him aboard.  Holmes is small, scares no one, and probably not even healthy.  Hill has yet to prove he can even catch a football.  Kerley is probably the best weapon of the three, but he's clearly not a red zone threat.  Edwards would fit in quite nicely, in fact.

Thank you!

To all you people who think Braylon supporters are just a cult following, wake up. The guy can ball. Forget the fact he hasn't done shht on any other team besides the Jets. That only helps bring down his price. Signing Braylon has absolutely no downside. He's almost guaranteed to be in the starting rotation, and the Jets need that type of certainty.

If he doesn't impress the coaches by training camp, then bye bye Braylon. I'm positive that wouldn't happen though. We want Stephen Hill to become the type of player Braylon is now: hungry, aggressive, knocks the snot out of people down field (Kerley will thank him), and unafraid of contact. Who better to teach him than Braylon? Sign him on a 1 year. If Hill still needs guidance next season, sign him on a 1 year again. 

It also helps he was a part of a play that all Jet fans will remember until the day they die. Remember when Bray went all Incredible Hulk on the Patriots in the playoffs?  :wild:

Thank you!

To all you people who think Braylon supporters are just a cult following, wake up. The guy can ball. Forget the fact he hasn't done shht on any other team besides the Jets. That only helps bring down his price. Signing Braylon has absolutely no downside. He's almost guaranteed to be in the starting rotation, and the Jets need that type of certainty.

If he doesn't impress the coaches by training camp, then bye bye Braylon. I'm positive that wouldn't happen though. We want Stephen Hill to become the type of player Braylon is now: hungry, aggressive, knocks the snot out of people down field (Kerley will thank him), and unafraid of contact. Who better to teach him than Braylon? Sign him on a 1 year. If Hill still needs guidance next season, sign him on a 1 year again. 

It also helps he was a part of a play that all Jet fans will remember until the day they die. Remember when Bray went all Incredible Hulk on the Patriots in the playoffs?  :wild:

Correct.  The Braylon this is not some irrational love affair.  The guy actually played extremely well for the Jets.  How quickly some people forget.

When was the last time the Jets had a WR who would consistently draw the double team AND still perform?  Answer:  Braylon Edwards.  That, with absolute garbage throwing him the football.  Guy was really, really good for this team.  I am not saying he would still be the same player we saw in '09 and '10, but damn... If he is healthy, he is the exact hard-nosed, physical, veteran leader we need in the receiving corp.  I just do not understand the hate for this player. 

Like it or not, the Jets aren't moving anyone down the depth chart for Braylon's sake.

Like it or not, Clyde Gates isn't stopping anyone from taking his roster spot, and Braylon isn't going to be b*tching about being the #4 WR in group where the starting WRs are both coming off season ending injuries/surgeries. I bet if Idzik called Braylon and offered him vet minimum plus some incentives, he'd wiggle his tail as well. Braylon has what leverage exactly to not sign such a contract? He's DOES play better in NY for some reason. Its like he really wants us to succeed.

Correct.  The Braylon this is not some irrational love affair.  The guy actually played extremely well for the Jets.  How quickly some people forget.

When was the last time the Jets had a WR who would consistently draw the double team AND still perform?  Answer:  Braylon Edwards.  That, with absolute garbage throwing him the football.  Guy was really, really good for this team.  I am not saying he would still be the same player we saw in '09 and '10, but damn... If he is healthy, he is the exact hard-nosed, physical, veteran leader we need in the receiving corp.  I just do not understand the hate for this player. 

AND HE LOVES PLAYING FOR THE JETS! lol

Like it or not, Clyde Gates isn't stopping anyone from taking his roster spot, and Braylon isn't going to be b*tching about being the #4 WR in group where the starting WRs are both coming off season ending injuries/surgeries. I bet if Idzik called Braylon and offered him vet minimum plus some incentives, he'd wiggle his tail as well. Braylon has what leverage exactly to not sign such a contract? He's DOES play better in NY for some reason. Its like he really wants us to succeed.

Thank you! If Clyde Gates or that Mayo guy plays one friggin snap this season, all I will be thinking of is how dumb it was that we didn't sign Braylon and let him prove himself in minicamp and preseason.

Braylon might get a call if Holmes can't go, or Hill gets hurt. He's really just not very good anymore. He slowed down a lot fast.

He's still a good possession receiver with hands. Still knows how to use his body to separate the defender from the ball. Still unafraid to go over the middle and get the ball. A WR coach (Lall) can try to teach a young WR (Hill) how to do that, but its better for the young receiver to see it. Let Bray show 'em. 

I think it comes down to 'game breaking' 

this offense is all short passes and screens and that means a player who can make YAC

if you look at the Jets pickups, goodson, ivory can break a play. Hill can break a big play. Obomanu still has wheels, Braylon is more of a catch an 8 yard pass and fall down type of player at this point in his career. I do agree that his knee is probably shot and he didn't look explosive when he was with the Jets. 

Our new RB is ahead of Braylon in the arrest department this is not the reason.

As long as Rex Ryan is the coach hes the biggest clown.

but the RB is fast.  Edwards is damaged.  that's the sad reality

jerry-rice-drops-easy-pass-o.gif GIFSoup

Jerry Rice.

You want to play that game?  The guy had one good year.  He dropped a ton of balls, didn't run routes very well and has fallen completely off a cliff since he left.  If HOlmes isn't ready they can probably sign him after week 1, non-guaranteed and will have lost nothing.  If they sign him fine, but acting like they HAVE to sign this guy is beyond ridiculous.  He wasn't that good when he was good. Signing him would be an indication that they respected his relationship with Sanchez and any move this team makes because of Mark Sanchez is a bad move.

101_braylon_edwards-300x300.jpgbraylon--300x300.jpgbraylon1.gif

Archived