Dwight Freeney believes all 32 nfl teams colluded to deflate the FA market

hoping4ASuperBowl

per Rotoworld:

According to CBS Sports' Mike Freeman, various "agents, players and union officials" believe the league's 32 teams colluded to deflate the market in free agency.

Dwight Freeney is one player who believes collusion took place. "I basically think the owners got together and decided not to spend the cash on free agents," Freeney told reporter Mike Freeman. "I think the owners made a pact. There's only 32 of them and none of them broke ranks. I think they all decided not to spend money." A "prominent" agent agrees. "I've been in this business for several decades and there was never an offseason like this. Never." There's been widespread suspicion — and anecdotal evidence — of collusion this offseason, but no hard proof. It's an extremely serious charge, but one that ultimately appears unlikely to stick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22327766/dwight-freeney-believes-as-others-do-owners-were-holding-back-cash

per Rotoworld:

According to CBS Sports' Mike Freeman, various "agents, players and union officials" believe the league's 32 teams colluded to deflate the market in free agency.

Dwight Freeney is one player who believes collusion took place. "I basically think the owners got together and decided not to spend the cash on free agents," Freeney told reporter Mike Freeman. "I think the owners made a pact. There's only 32 of them and none of them broke ranks. I think they all decided not to spend money." A "prominent" agent agrees. "I've been in this business for several decades and there was never an offseason like this. Never." There's been widespread suspicion — and anecdotal evidence — of collusion this offseason, but no hard proof. It's an extremely serious charge, but one that ultimately appears unlikely to stick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22327766/dwight-freeney-believes-as-others-do-owners-were-holding-back-cash

These ass clowns ever think that maybe, just maybe the fact the salary cap hasn't increased much over the past 2 years, and because of that a lot of teams who normally are willing to open their check book just can't because of the current contracts on the team, and little flexibility to add more payroll due to the very small increase of the cap, and teams are also still in the process of trying to get the ship right from the changes made in the last CBA, and probably are a little uncomfortable still with all the language they need to understand, and make sure they don't get jobbed by these slick dealing agents.  And as far as the teams with the large cap space, those teams are considered poor, and won't ever spend more then they have to plain, and simple.

Apparently Tampa Bay's owner didn't get the memo.  They gave $16M a year to a cornerback.

There's no way you could possibly get all 32 owners on the same page about anything.  Remember how difficult it was to get the CBA done?  That was primarily on the owners.  There's a vast difference in philosophy among guys like Jerry Richardson, Woody Johnson, Dan Snyder, and The Rooneys/Maras.

Apparently Tampa Bay's owner didn't get the memo.  They gave $16M a year to a cornerback.

There's no way you could possibly get all 32 owners on the same page about anything.  Remember how difficult it was to get the CBA done?  That was primarily on the owners.  There's a vast difference in philosophy among guys like Jerry Richardson, Woody Johnson, Dan Snyder, and The Rooneys/Maras.

Just like baseball, it would be impossible for all the owners to collude collectively, right? Oh, wait a minute.

Tampa Bay actually had been super cheap for many years (so Glaziers could buy Robin Van Persie or whatever) and had to spend to get to the floor, which is new to this year. Before this year there was no salary floor only a cap. 

as for the owners I don't know whether it's collusion cause these aren't really 32 businesses. it's 1 business with 32 branches.  

Tampa Bay actually had been super cheap for many years (so Glaziers could buy Robin Van Persie or whatever) and had to spend to get to the floor, which is new to this year. Before this year there was no salary floor only a cap. 

as for the owners I don't know whether it's collusion cause these aren't really 32 businesses. it's 1 business with 32 branches.  

Do you not recall the way they spent last season on Carl Nicks and VJax? 

The Bucs did not have to spend to get to the floor THIS year. The floor is an average over FOUR years that must be reached. 

So a team can be under the floor.

Do you not recall the way they spent last season on Carl Nicks and VJax? 

even with that spending they were ridiculously low last year. That's why they were literally the only team who could afford Revis' demands. 

1.  Freeney is a whiny little bitch who's just pissy he didn't get the contract he think he deserved.

2.  These morons only have themselves to blame for the reduced spending.  The NFLPA agreed to this new deal and it is that deal, with a complete lack of salary cap increase, that caused there to be little to no cap space available throughout the league, save for a small handful of teams.  You can't spend money when there's no money to spent.

3.  How many big name FAs were there this offseason who weren't already on the downside of their careers?  Very few, and they all did just fine for themselves.  The NFL has clearly long since passed the time of having any interest in shelling out big-time cash to the 30+ crowd.  Who can blame them?

There's always a conspiracy. Just because FAs didn't hit the lotto this year doesn't mean the league of extraordinary gentlemen got together in the secret Builderberg cave (with the Illuminati's permission of course) and conspired to pay everyone a little less money and shorter contracts. Seems like GMs are getting smart, not getting illicit. 

A lot of spending went on before FA. I guess they don't count the joe flaccid or Arron Rodgers deals as not spending money!

I was going to say the same thing, but yeah none of the QBs were FAs when they signed their succession of earth shattering deals. Next up to be the highest paid QB in the league (until the next signing) is Matty Ice.

Just like baseball, it would be impossible for all the owners to collude collectively, right? Oh, wait a minute.

Two entirely different scenarios - baseball does not have a hard cap. With the floor and hard cap in place, I don't see how there can be any collusion,

I think the slotted salary for the draft picks and relatively flat salary cap situation over the past few years had more do with limited free agent spending than collusion.  The only time draft picks were more valuable was before free agency existed.

Maybe owners and GM's have wised up some to not give older veterans big money anymore

Oh the irony.

Players have long stated, "it is not our fault they throw all this money at us".

Then when the owners show some fiscal responsibility and not overpay for players, "ITS COLLUSION!"

Archived