Doug Marrone: E.J. Manuel is ahead of any rookie QB I’ve seen

SayNoToDMC

Doug Marrone: E.J. Manuel is ahead of any rookie QB I’ve seen

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 31, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT

350x-216.jpg?w=250Getty Images

A month after selecting quarterback E.J. Manuel in the first round of the NFL draft, Bills coach Doug Marrone likes what he sees.

Marrone said at the conclusion of the Bills’ Organized Team Activities today that his rookies have developed “better than expected” and that Manuel is ahead of any other rookie quarterback he’s seen.

“From my standpoint,” Marrone said, “E.J. Manuel has done better [as a

rookie] than any of the other organizations I’ve been a part of.”

Of course, that isn’t really saying all that much: Marrone has only

been a coach on one team that has drafted a quarterback, and that was in

2003, when Marrone was offensive line coach of the Jets and they spent a

sixth-round pick on Brooks Bollinger. We would certainly hope that

Manuel is ahead of where Brooks Bollinger was.

So when Marrone says Manuel has done better as a rookie than any

rookie in any other organization he’s been a part of, Marrone is setting

the bar awfully low. But at least Manuel has cleared that bar.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/31/doug-marrone-e-j-manuel-is-ahead-of-any-rookie-qb-ive-seen/

I LOLed

Hey he will be great in cold weather. Spending a 1st on a guy that would have available in the 3rd round. The Bills Draft worse then us.

It's nice to have the bills in our division. They're the ugly, overweight girl we stand next to at mixers in order to look prettier by comparison.

Hey he will be great in cold weather. Spending a 1st on a guy that would have available in the 3rd round. The Bills Draft worse then us.

They needed a QB now.  They drafted who they wanted with their first pick, which is how you should do it.

If he turns out to be a quality starter for them eventually, then they did the right thing.  If he turns out to be no good, then they wasted the pick.  A team looking for a starting QB can't afford to decide, "I can get him later".

They needed a QB now.  They drafted who they wanted with their first pick, which is how you should do it.

If he turns out to be a quality starter for them eventually, then they did the right thing.  If he turns out to be no good, then they wasted the pick.  A team looking for a starting QB can't afford to decide, "I can get him later".

It wasn't really that bad of a draft for them. They traded up like 6 spots and got an extra 2nd rounder. That's not that terrible, especially if you believe EJ will work out for them. Personally I think he may ball out as a Bill one day. 

But yes, they are still a terrible franchise.

Marrone has only

been a coach on one team that has drafted a quarterback, and that was in
2003, when Marrone was offensive line coach of the Jets and they spent a
sixth-round pick on Brooks Bollinger. We would certainly hope that
Manuel is ahead of where Brooks Bollinger was

:rl:

This must mean Manuel is the second coming of Kellen Clemens. 

The Jets were in the same boat, and I'm glad they waited. This was not a draft to force a QB pick.

Archived