Simply give Cano a 10-year $100 billion contract today...

Bugg

as per Tim McCarver. Also perhaps they can give him one of those huge check thingies like he's Shooter McGavin.Also, a chunk of the Yankees.  May be, then, Cano will run hard to first every time, something Jeter and even Alex Rodrigues have always done.

They're going to regret it if they backload this thing and he's making 10+ Billion a year at age 40

Anything over 5 years is a mistake. If Cano and his agent can find a club dumb enough to do that, vaya con Dios. Cano is very productive for a MI right now in the regular season.  But at the  the same age so were Jimmy Rollins,Ryne Sanfberg, Chase Utley and Barry Larkin and a whole host of other quality  MI guys. All of whom pretty much sucked post 33/34(or do now in Rollins and Utley's case). There are historically 2 exceptions-Jeter and Joe Morgan. Cano doesn't have the work ethic of either and not the speed of Morgan.   And if you're gonna demand to be paid such a sum, perhaps being an auto out in October is not a good thing. When the calendar turns to October and the rotations on the Royals and Astros have gone home, not so much of a great hitter. And while it statistically is probably not that big a deal, why not run hard to first every time? .

Anything over 5 years is a mistake. If Cano and his agent can find a club dumb enough to do that, vaya con Dios. Cano is very productive for a MI right now in the regular season.  But at the  the same age so were Jimmy Rollins,Ryne Sanfberg, Chase Utley and Barry Larkin and a whole host of other quality  MI guys. All of whom pretty much sucked post 33/34(or do now in Rollins and Utley's case). There are historically 2 exceptions-Jeter and Joe Morgan. Cano doesn't have the work ethic of either and not the speed of Morgan.   And if you're gonna demand to be paid such a sum, perhaps being an auto out in October is not a good thing. When the calendar turns to October and the rotations on the Royals and Astros have gone home, not so much of a great hitter. And while it statistically is probably not that big a deal, why not run hard to first every time? .

I agree. 

However, would the Yankees be willing to allow their only 'young' offensive talent walk over an extra year?  I doubt it.

Again, I do not disagree with your point.

I just do not think the Yankees are going to waiver over that year if...and it is a big if Bor-ass asks for 6. 

The Yankees have too many FAs and the ones staying are question marks.  

If Boras asks for 6 years and he would be a fool not to, then I do not see how the Yankees draw a line in the sand with their current composition. 

I agree. 

However, would the Yankees be willing to allow their only 'young' offensive talent walk over an extra year?  I doubt it.

Again, I do not disagree with your point.

I just do not think the Yankees are going to waiver over that year if...and it is a big if Bor-ass asks for 6. 

The Yankees have too many FAs and the ones staying are question marks.  

If Boras asks for 6 years and he would be a fool not to, then I do not see how the Yankees draw a line in the sand with their current composition. 

Boras isn't Cano's agent anymore. We really don't have any idea what his new agent is going to do but on the yankees' end 5 years at more money per year makes a lot of sense than 6 or 7. 

Boras isn't Cano's agent anymore. We really don't have any idea what his new agent is going to do but on the yankees' end 5 years at more money per year makes a lot of sense than 6 or 7. 

Did he sign with Jay-Z?

And more $$ (e.g. close to Hamilton's 5/125) makes a lot of sense.

• 4 weeks later...

If Cano is otherwise occuppied such that running hard to first when there's 2 outs in the 9th is beneath him, time to put him on the trading block and be done with him. Granted it probably would've made no difference but may be the fielder hurries his throw and the game is prolonged. We'll never know because he habitually jogs to first and fielders know that. There is noi way the Yanks should give this guy a shiny new long term deal.NONE.

If Cano is otherwise occuppied such that running hard to first when there's 2 outs in the 9th is beneath him, time to put him on the trading block and be done with him. Granted it probably would've made no difference but may be the fielder hurries his throw and the game is prolonged. We'll never know because he habitually jogs to first and fielders know that. There is noi way the Yanks should give this guy a shiny new long term deal.NONE.

Call the Dodgers.  Maybe they will take him off your hands.

Watching Cano ABs is like watching stacks of $100 bills be set on fire on a daily basis. Doesn't matter if his agent is Boras or Jay Z, he simply doesn't understand that if he wants that kind of money half assing it is not going to work. You can fault A-rod for a lot of things; running hard to first isn't one of those things.

• 2 months later...

My name is Carl and I stand by it. I'd rather have Pedroia than Cano. That's just my opinion and I'm welcome to it as are you to yours.

Your opinion on anything sports related is equivalent to the a$$hole's that refused to acknowledge the earth wasnt flat. You're sick in the head and refuse reason.

that is like saying you'd prefer eating a good cheeseburger over filet mignon.

No it's not. Both are very good players. You can't go wrong with either one. I can see Cano getting his big pay day and becoming lazier. I don't see Cano playing two months of the season with a torn ligament in his hand. Pedroia is the glue that puts this Red Sox team together. Cano is a fantastic hitter. I want a leader. I'll take Pedroia and I'm not alone in that opinion.

No it's not. Both are very good players. You can't go wrong with either one. I can see Cano getting his big pay day and becoming lazier. I don't see Cano playing two months of the season with a torn ligament in his hand. Pedroia is the glue that puts this Red Sox team together. Cano is a fantastic hitter. I want a leader. I'll take Pedroia and I'm not alone in that opinion.

Would contend the "gritty/intangible" thing really is overrated.And how is it always related to some scrappy little white guy?

Cano could be the streakiest hitter you will ever see.The money isn't the issue, the years are. And simply no sane team is a giving him a deal that goes much psst his 35th birthday.

just plain wrong sir

.287 average, .387 on-base % and .492 slugging %     and he has had many big hits too.

these are all well above the league average.  his OPS adjusted is 139.  100 is average.

Bob and many other Yankee fans can dislike Rodriguez. But he is a big part of why they are anywhere near a playoff berth. I doin't know what he will be like after a year or a half year of suspension in activity, but he right now is better statistically than most MLB 3rd basemen not named Wright, Cabrera or Zimmerman.

Bob and many other Yankee fans can dislike Rodriguez. But he is a big part of why they are anywhere near a playoff berth. I doin't know what he will be like after a year or a half year of suspension in activity, but he right now is better statistically than most MLB 3rd basemen not named Wright, Cabrera or Zimmerman.

And this is why the Yankees are going to pay Cano whatever he wants.

Even if Jeter can get back to health and be a reasonable approximation of himself, that offense is middle of the pack with Cano.  Are you going to let him walk and have replace his production as well?  Doubtful.

His adjusted PPSM average is right towards the bottom of the league

I do NOT dislike Rodriguez. I think the charges against him are mostly bullsh*t and I appreciate what he has done for the team since he has been here. My assessment of him is based on his injury problems and production that has dropped. Better than the average? A little. Up to ARod standards? Not close.

I would be quite happy for him to win his appeal and be at 3B for the Yankees next year, even though I doubt that will happen.

I do NOT dislike Rodriguez. I think the charges against him are mostly bullsh*t and I appreciate what he has done for the team since he has been here. My assessment of him is based on his injury problems and production that has dropped. Better than the average? A little. Up to ARod standards? Not close.

I would be quite happy for him to win his appeal and be at 3B for the Yankees next year, even tough I doubt that will happen.

Sorry to have mischaracterized your thoughts. No real disagreement at all.

The are probably the only team that can economically make a major run at Cano and if they offer him 8-10 years then the Yanks should say "Enjoy the left coast.

I can't see the Angels after their major pushes with Pujols and Hamilton already on mega deals.

Texas ? Possible

After that who else. 

The are probably the only team that can economically make a major run at Cano and if they offer him 8-10 years then the Yanks should say "Enjoy the left coast.

I can't see the Angels after their major pushes with Pujols and Hamilton already on mega deals.

Texas ? Possible

After that who else. 

Dodgers could use him.

Archived