Man of Steel - who's going this weekend?

Pac

I've been waiting for this for a couple years - yes I'm pathetic.

Reviews have finally started trickling out and they're across the board.  Those who love it think it's the best Superman to date, while those who hate it point to the film taking itself too seriously.

No amount of bad reviews could curb my enthusiasm as I've already bought my IMAX ticket and will be there Friday afternoon..  I can't remember the last time I cared enough to try to get to a movie on opening day.

I've been waiting for this for a couple years - yes I'm pathetic.

Reviews have finally started trickling out and they're across the board.  Those who love it think it's the best Superman to date, while those who hate it point to the film taking itself too seriously.

No amount of bad reviews could curb my enthusiasm as I've already bought my IMAX ticket and will be there Friday afternoon..  I can't remember the last time I cared enough to try to get to a movie on opening day.

I saw the trailerwhen I went and saw Star Trek and it looked much better than I would have guessed.  If you pay for my ticket and buy me a large popcorn, Twizzlers, Ju Ju bees, snowcaps, starburst, and a medium diet coke I will go with you. 

I saw the trailerwhen I went and saw Star Trek and it looked much better than I would have guessed.  If you pay for my ticket and buy me a large popcorn, Twizzlers, Ju Ju bees, snowcaps, starburst, and a medium diet coke I will go with you. 

IMAX's are generally more comfortable seating but I don't think they're Crusher-ready.  Maybe you can sit in the isle next to me?

I'm kinda excited, myself. Might see that gay This Is the End movie, too. Good reviews for both.

This is the End is getting rave reviews..  Critics are typically self important douches but many have commented on how loud and hard they laughed at the movie..

I'll take the lady friend to see that next week..  this weekend it's all about Supe. 

I call him Supe.

Yep, me and Mrs. Ape saw the trailer at Star Trek also, and decided on the spot we needed to see this in the theaters.

Be careful when you reach for that popcorn, I wouldn't put it past Pac to cut a hole in the bottom of the container and sit it on his lap. Perhaps get your own... 

I'm actually looking forward to Elysium. It's done by the guy that directed District 9, which I thought was great. Those that know my affinity for the original Planet of the Apes should easily understand I have a great appreciation for when sci-fi gets back to it's roots and harkens to social events/commentary.

Yep, me and Mrs. Ape saw the trailer at Star Trek also, and decided on the spot we needed to see this in the theaters.

Be careful when you reach for that popcorn, I wouldn't put it past Pac to cut a hole in the bottom of the container and sit it on his lap. Perhaps get your own... 

What I care?  I is hungry.

I'm actually looking forward to Elysium. It's done by the guy that directed District 9, which I thought was great. Those that know my affinity for the original Planet of the Apes should easily understand I have a great appreciation for when sci-fi gets back to it's roots and harkens to social events/commentary.

Elysium, Pacific Rim, World War Z, White House Down, Thor 2, and a couple others I'm not remembering are all theater worthy. 

And the 2nd, modern Planet of the Apes is currently filming.  Gary Oldham has a big role which is always a good thing.  Was pleasantly surprised how good Rise of the POtA was after that Tim Burton disgrace with Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch.

Elysium, Pacific Rim, World War Z, White House Down, Thor 2, and a couple others I'm not remembering are all theater worthy. 

And the 2nd, modern Planet of the Apes is currently filming.  Gary Oldham has a big role which is always a good thing.  Was pleasantly surprised how good Rise of the POtA was after that Tim Burton disgrace with Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch.

Agree on the list.

Tim Burton is a joke. He's the equivalent of a Photoshop, or Instagram, filter... production companies just want to apply the Tim Burton effect to everything (why bother creating new material?) to turn a quick buck. 

While we are on the subject of Moives and sh*t.  What about that World War Z movie?  Im afraid it might be one of those movies that after you seen the trailors nothing left to see.

I've read a lot of articles about this movie both on line and while on the crapper reading my Entertainment Weekly subscription.

Things were supposedly a little sketchy with it before they brought in Damon Lindelhoff (Lost writer) to tinker with the ending and smooth the rough edges.  They're saying it's a lot better movie at this point and should lend itself to a couple sequels.

I don't think they gave away too much in the trailers.  We don't know how the epidemic started, who exactly Brad Pitt is, what he's doing to try and come up with a cure, etc..  I'm optimistic it will be good.

While we are on the subject of Moives and sh*t.  What about that World War Z movie?  Im afraid it might be one of those movies that after you seen the trailors nothing left to see.

I don't try to be "that guy" who criticizes a movie for straying from the book.....but this went too far.  The book was legitimately awesome, with each chapter having a story within the story about different regions in the world dealing with the War, each from the perspective of a specific person.  It was written by Max Brooks, Mel's kid.  Was riveted the whole time.

The problem, I guess, is that they needed a big name like Brad Pitt to get people to see a movie like this, then made it all about him.  I would have preferred a cast of relative nobodies so they could stick to the book.  But that doesn't make money.

I've read a lot of articles about this movie both on line and while on the crapper reading my Entertainment Weekly subscription.

Things were supposedly a little sketchy with it before they brought in Damon Lindelhoff (Lost writer) to tinker with the ending and smooth the rough edges.  They're saying it's a lot better movie at this point and should lend itself to a couple sequels.

I don't think they gave away too much in the trailers.  We don't know how the epidemic started, who exactly Brad Pitt is, what he's doing to try and come up with a cure, etc..  I'm optimistic it will be good.

Pac, I'm a Superman fan since reading the comics in the 60s.  But, this new flick looks like a crap box.

I have a great appreciation for when sci-fi gets back to it's roots and harkens to social events/commentary.

And this is what the book "World War Z" attempted to do, but what the movie doesn't seem to be making ANY attempt at.  I'm real disappointed.  Still will probably see it but I'm expecting to be pissed off the whole time.

Pac, I'm a Superman fan since reading the comics in the 60s.  But, this new flick looks like a crap box.

The hell you say Borgo!

When is the last time Christopher Nolan was involved in a crap box?  I realize he's not directing but he's not putting his name all over something that sucks.

I'm not saying it will be the best thing I've ever seen but by all accounts it hit the nail on the head.  This should be in a different stratosphere than that underwhelming snooze fest Bryan Singer put out a few years ago.

And this is what the book "World War Z" attempted to do, but what the movie doesn't seem to be making ANY attempt at.  I'm real disappointed.  Still will probably see it but I'm expecting to be pissed off the whole time.

I haven't read the book but they said it was written like a series of articles more than a typical novel.  Too hard to adapt something like that for the screen so they did what they could but kept the theme of the book.

They didn't "get Pitt" to do the movie..  His production company bought the script for the right to make the movie.  He's been involved in it since day 1.

The hell you say Borgo!

When is the last time Christopher Nolan was involved in a crap box?  I realize he's not directing but he's not putting his name all over something that sucks.

I'm not saying it will be the best thing I've ever seen but by all accounts it hit the nail on the head.  This should be in a different stratosphere than that underwhelming snooze fest Bryan Singer put out a few years ago.

Not to disparage anyone who liked the film, but I thought Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises was both a disaster (story/acting) and disappointment (almost every other aspect of the film from its horrendous casting to the comically awful "villain").   Nolan needs to step back from the accolades.

That said, I'm hoping this new Superman flick does with us fans.

Not to disparage anyone who liked the film, but I thought Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises was both a disaster (story/acting) and disappointment (almost every other aspect of the film from its horrendous casting to the comically awful "villain").   Nolan needs to step back from the accolades.

I'll concede DKR was the worst of the 3 but I don't think it was quite that bad -- aside from Baines, Sean Connery like voice.

Seems he took your advice though as originally he was slated to direct Superman..  He stepped down and hired Zach Snyder instead while maintaining a producer/godfather role.

I'll concede DKR was the worst of the 3 but I don't think it was quite that bad -- aside from Baines, Sean Connery like voice.

Seems he took your advice though as originally he was slated to direct Superman..  He stepped down and hired Zach Snyder instead while maintaining a producer/godfather role.

Absolutely no disrespect meant.  I just did not connect with TDKR.  Seriously, IMO, it needed an hour's worth of editing.

As for Snyder, I loved Watchmen (a true classic in the genre) and, except for the gorgeous chicks in the flick, thought Sucker Punch was a joke.  Like you, I'll go see Man of Steel.

Yeah, I was hoping for a better finish than that.  I just wonder what the film would have looked like with Ledger's Joker in there.  So sad.

Things were supposedly a little sketchy with it before they brought in Damon Lindelhoff (Lost writer) to tinker with the ending and smooth the rough edges. They're saying it's a lot better movie at this point and should lend itself to a couple sequels.

I don't think they gave away too much in the trailers. We don't know how the epidemic started, who exactly Brad Pitt is, what he's doing to try and come up with a cure, etc.. I'm optimistic it will be good.

It looks bad, and I loveeeeeee zombie movies and Brad Pitt. The zombies move en masse like water, which is dumb.

Yeah, I was hoping for a better finish than that.  I just wonder what the film would have looked like with Ledger's Joker in there.  So sad.

You know he would have taken the character to even greater heights of lunacy.  What a shame an actor of his talent is gone so young.  RIP.

Absolutely no disrespect meant.  I just did not connect with TDKR.  Seriously, IMO, it needed an hour's worth of editing.

As for Snyder, I loved Watchmen (a true classic in the genre) and, except for the gorgeous chicks in the flick, thought Sucker Punch was a joke.  Like you, I'll go see Man of Steel.

I'd prefer you call me an idiot and render my opinion useless.  I'm not used to people worried about disrespecting me.  Typically that's their objective when quoting my posts. 

I use this site as my playground...  I get enough political correctness at my job hah.

Sucker Punch was a joke.

I'd prefer you call me an idiot and render my opinion useless.  I'm not used to people worried about disrespecting me.  Typically that's their objective when quoting my posts. 

I use this site as my playground...  I get enough political correctness at my job hah.

Sucker Punch was a joke.

Noted.  Any of the chicks in Sucker Punch have an "open invitation" on my face, should anyone care.

It looks bad, and I loveeeeeee zombie movies and Brad Pitt. The zombies move en masse like water, which is dumb.

They studied how different animals move and congregate when attacking.  They didn't want to do the typical zombie trudging along with arms spread while grunting.

Not to disparage anyone who liked the film, but I thought Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises was both a disaster (story/acting) and disappointment (almost every other aspect of the film from its horrendous casting to the comically awful "villain"). Nolan needs to step back from the accolades.

TDKR sucked, but I thought Hardy and Hathaway were interesting enough in their roles to produce a better movie. The problem with DKR was that the story was absurd and with unforgivable plot holes that were stupid even for a comic book movie.

They studied how different animals move and congregate when attacking. They didn't want to do the typical zombie trudging along with arms spread while grunting.

Did they study roaches? Because that's how they move. Rigor mortis sets in within an hour, followed by muscle atrophy. No way will zombies move like that.

Did they study roaches? Because that's how they move. Rigor mortis sets in within an hour, followed by muscle atrophy. No way will zombies move like that.

You realize zombies are ficticious, correct?

Agree on the list.

Tim Burton is a joke. He's the equivalent of a Photoshop, or Instagram, filter... production companies just want to apply the Tim Burton effect to everything (why bother creating new material?) to turn a quick buck.

Interesting take. Yeah he had his day in the sun. His movies are always visually striking bc they're peculiar. I give him credit for being able to create his own niche. You can usually tell when it's his movie. But his movies also race around with thin, hallow plots as if he's more interested in showing you how quirky this character can be instead of a storyline.

Usually good for a couple memorable scenes though. Usually make the movie out to be better than it is. And he almost always has a stellar cast.

TDKR sucked, but I thought Hardy and Hathaway were interesting enough in their roles to produce a better movie. The problem with DKR was that the story was absurd and with unforgivable plot holes that were stupid even for a comic book movie.

Totally agree.  It's the kiss of death for any film.  If your story has holes, no number of actors/characters will make it plausible to the audience.  

I swear, there were moments watching that flick where I stood up and yelled at the screen in confusion/exasperation/pi$$ed off annoyance.  So much of it made no sense.

BTW, Hi, Tom.

Archived