Articles On Today's Mini Camp

flgreen

Rex Ryan admits NY Jets may use Geno Smith like 49ers used Colin Kaepernick early in 2012 season

Ryan injected Smith, who will take the first-team reps in the second day of mini-camp on Thursday, into the conversation of mobile young quarterbacks on Tuesday even though the former West Virginia star wasn’t successful on designed runs in college.
Comments (2)
By Manish Mehta  / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 2:00 PM.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Jets head coach Rex Ryan isn’t concerned about repeating the Tim Tebow disaster with Geno Smith.

Related Stories

The Jets could take a page out of the 49ers playbook this season to get Geno Smith on the field as a rookie.

Rex Ryan admitted on Wednesday that it's “a possibility” that Smith could be used in specialized read-option packages if Mark Sanchez wins the quarterback competition, much like San Francisco did with Colin Kaepernick early last season before he supplanted Alex Smith.

“I know what everybody’s thinking if we did that: ‘Oh, didn’t we try that last year,’” Ryan said, alluding to the failed Tim Tebow Wildcat experiment from last season. “Again, certainly that’s a possibility. To probably make assumptions now probably isn’t the thing to do. But we’ll let this thing work out and pan out and we’ll see.”

Ryan injected Smith, who will take the first-team reps in the second day of mini-camp on Thursday, into the conversation of mobile young quarterbacks on Tuesday even though the former West Virginia star wasn’t successful on designed runs in college.

New York Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg could employ rookie quarterback Geno Smith in some read-option packages if he doesn’t win the starting job.

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

New York Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg could employ rookie quarterback Geno Smith in some read-option packages if he doesn’t win the starting job.

“I think he’s got the athleticism to do that,” Ryan said. “They really didn’t run a whole of different zone-reads and different things… But he has the skill set to where there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to do that.”

“With that being said, I think you have to be smart about what you ask your quarterbacks to do,” Ryan added. “Or you’re going to need to have a whole bunch of them. I think that’s the way people are going to start attacking the quarterbacks.”

Ryan saw up close how effective bringing in a mobile quarterback can be when Kaepernick had five rushes for 50 yards and a touchdown in a 34-0 win in Week 4. He gouged the Jets in the red-zone.

“In San Francisco, we never knew a whole lot about Kaepernick,” Ryan said. “And when he came in there, they started springing that stuff on you. And it was like, ‘Ooh… okay.’ He made some huge runs in that game against us. We’ll see. I think the league now… I know we’re looking at it… you have to be ready for it. It’s something’s that’s here and I’m not sure it’s going away.”

“Again, running for first downs and touchdowns,” Ryan said about having a mobile change-of-pace quarterback, “I think it’s how the league’s going to progress through these things.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/smith-kaepernick-like-role-jets-article-1.1370552#ixzz2W288Kr1L

Quarterback competition may not extend to Jets West

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT

GenoAP
Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez may think that the current quarterback competition is “awesome,” but that doesn’t mean he’s looking to compete any more than he has to.

Sanchez soon will be conducting his annual Jets West players-only pre-training camp workout camp, and it appears that quarterback Geno Smith won’t be there.

Specifically, Smith said to reporters on Wednesday “no comment” as to whether he’ll attend.  Last week, Sanchez said he has “no idea” whether Smith will be present.

There’s no reason for Sanchez to invite Smith.  As Sanchez explained after Tim Tebow was cut, friendship yields to competition.

“You’re just professional, and you’re cool and if the guy has a flat tire on the side of the road, I’m going to stop, I’m not just going to blow by him, but at the same time, I’m not sending him gifts on his birthday or anything,” Sanchez said of Tebow.

“I don’t see why it would be any different,” Sanchez said at the same time regarding Smith.  “I will help [smith] out as much as I can, but when we have to compete, we have to compete, that’s the way it goes.”

Since they’ll be competing at training camp, Sanchez has nothing to gain by giving the receivers a chance to improve their timing and familiarity with Smith.  The extra reps are aimed at helping the players and, ultimately, Sanchez when the time comes to practice and eventually play.  If the goal is to win the competition, Sanchez should have no desire to give Smith a chance to do the same.

Of course, Smith could always organize his own workout session, perhaps in the place where he played college football.  We’ll even supply the Jets West Virginia T-shirts.

Rex Ryan impressed by Kellen Winslow’s “skill and athleticism”

Posted by Josh Alper on June 12, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT

Seattle Seahawks v Kansas City ChiefsGetty Images

Tight end Kellen Winslow went to Jets minicamp this week to try out for a spot on the roster.

That tryout is going well for him. Coach Rex Ryan raved about what he saw from Winslow, who played just one game last season, on the practice field and said that he looked like the player that Ryan used to fret about stopping when he coached the Ravens against Winslow’s Browns teams.

“The one thing that jumps out at you is his skill and athleticism,” Ryan said, via Jane McManus of ESPNNewYork.com. “That’s something that jumps out at you, that he still has that and from the very first play that he’s in there, you can still see that. …

Kellen’s never been a hired killer as a blocker, he tries you know, but as an athlete and a receiver, whoo. Of the two or three grey hairs I have in my head, like two billion of them or whatever, he’s contributed to some of those I can tell you.”

Ryan’s fondness for hyperbole is no secret, so take those comments for what you will but Ryan didn’t extend the same review for the work turned in by wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker during his own tryout. At any rate, it’s no great surprise after seeing Ryan’s comments that Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets will try to sign Winslow as long as his knee injury doesn’t flare up before the end of minicamp.

Holmes, Cromartie exchange pleasantries

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT

CromartieAP
With the available evidence indicating that quarterback Mark Sanchez will hold his starting job in New York — and that the Jets will try to dilute the opposing defenses’ prep time for Sanchez by using Geno Smith in specific situations — receiver Santonio Holmes realizes that Sanchez likely will be buttering Holmes’ bread.

And so Holmes is ready to defend his, sniff, quarterback.

Per Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, Holmes was “jawing” with cornerback Antonio Cromartie at practice on Wednesday, after Cromartie got “physical” with Sanchez, who was blocking on a reverse.

Apart from the fact that no one should be getting “physical” with anyone else during offseason workouts, it’s stupid that Cromartie would do anything to jeopardize in any way, even slightly, the health of the potential starting quarterback.

And it’s admirable that Holmes stepped up to let Cromartie know it was stupid.  It’s another sign that Holmes has matured, after years of being anything but.

flgreen, on 12 Jun 2013 - 15:00, said:

if the guy has a flat tire on the side of the road, I’m going to stop, I’m not just going to blow by him, but at the same time, I’m not sending him gifts on his birthday or anything,” Sanchez said of Tebow.

Sounds like Marky's a wee nervous about Geno. He should be.

Santonio Holmes won't commit to playing Week 1 vs. Buccaneers

New York Jets mini-camp, 6-12-13

(Gallery by John Munson/The Star-Ledger)

Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger By  Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger  

on June 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM, updated June 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Santonio Holmes' rehab from a Lisfranc injury has been gradual. He spoke today but offered little certainty for the upcoming season.

Asked if he would be ready for training camp, Holmes responded: "It's taking one

day at a time. I won't know until it happens."

And if he would be ready for the Bucs Week 1, Holmes offered "no comment."

For now, Holmes can say that his rehab has been "great." But he is limited in all that he does and would not say that he can job, only that he is restricted to working out.

The hardest part for him was simply to learn how to walk again. But he has no concerns about being able to play at his position.

"To have something like this happen it kind of puts a damper in your whole physical ability to do anything," he said.

If he is able to play opening week, he would have a chance to face his former teammate, Darrelle Revis.

"It would be a great matchup," he said. "It would be a lot of fun to to go out there against an old nemesis."

Holmes also weighed in on a few other topics other than himself.

On Mark Sanchez: "I think he's going to be our guy. Coaches brought him back for a reason...I signed back because of him."

On Stephen Hill: "Man, Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. Coming from Georgia Tech it was very difficult for him as a player to learn how to run routes. To be a 6-foot-3, 6-foot-4 receiver to play at a level, from playing on an option team to a complete wide receiver takes a lot of progress. Those things are coming along…All we can do is build him up as he's if the next Megatron…How can we build Stephen Hill to be a complete guy."

On Tim Tebow: "Happy for him that he got picked up by a new team."

On taking a paycut: "That's what we all do in our profession in order to sustain a long term career in one place."

June 12, 2013 3:46 PM

Santonio Holmes won't say if he'll be ready for Darrelle Revis and Week 1

BY Seth Walder

Santonio Holmes knows that a Week 1 showdown between himself and Darrelle Revis would be a sight to see, but wouldn’t say whether he’d be ready to play by then. Holmes is recovering from a Lisfranc injury he suffered last season.

“It would be a great matchup, it would be a lot of fun to go out there against an old nemesis,” said Holmes. “A guy who’s coming off an injury himself, I wish him much success this season, and hopefully he’s prepared and ready just like I will be.”

Asked if he would be healthy by then, Holmes said, “No comment.” He also wouldn’t say whether he would be ready to hit the practice field by the time training camp starts in late July.

Holmes said he’s progressing well, but wouldn’t get into specifics. He said that during the rehab process he had to “learn how to walk again.”

“It’s been that hard to just get the feeling of your body to move in an everyday motion for so many years,” said Holmes. “To have something like this happen, it kind of puts a damper in your whole physical ability to do anything.”

Holmes continued to support Mark Sanchez, saying he believes the incumbent will beat out rookie Geno Smith for the starting job. “For the most part,” Holmes said when asked if he thought Sanchez would win. “But we’ll leave it up to the coaches and how they judge these guys throughout this time in minicamp.”

Holmes said he still has as strong a relationship as ever with Sanchez. “If it did I wouldn’t have been here,” he said. “I signed back because of him, so nothing’s changed.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Jets QB coach: Smith has work to do, Sanchez needs to cut down on turnovers
By BRIAN COSTELLO
Posted: 4:45 PM, June 12, 2013

Jets quarterback coach David Lee gave a very open, honest assessment of the team's quarterback competition Wednesday. The takeaways? That Geno Smith has a long way to go and that everyone around the Jets is tired of seeing Mark Sanchez turn the ball over.

Lee, hired in January to replace Matt Cavanaugh, met the media for the first time Wednesday. He described the competition between Sanchez and Smith as close and said he needs to see them in game situations in August to determine who should start.

"We'll know when we know, but we don't know right now," Lee said.

Lee said the adjustment for Smith from his college system at West Virginia to the West Coast offense has been a struggle.

"It's a brand new world every day," Lee said. "[He's] just struggling with the basic things, snap count at the line of scrimmage, delivery in the huddle can be more consistent. Little things are really what's killing him, but he's competed well and he's shown us he's got a really good arm. He's in the thick of this thing, there's no question. He gets better every day."

Even so, Lee said it is realistic to expect Smith to be ready by September. He expects Smith to take a big leap before training camp

As for Sanchez, Lee said the focus has been on cutting down the turnovers.

"Fifty-two turnovers in two years is not conducive to winning in our league," Lee said. "Mark can win in this league. He's proven that. He's played for championships. I'm brutally truthful at times. I've told him, 'hey, the best thing you can do to help our football team, the No. 1 thing you can do to help our offense and our team is take care of the ball.' "

But Lee said Sanchez is struggling with protecting the ball.

"It's so hard for him to keep his left hand on the football," he said. "Yesterday was the first time he had some situation and he kept two hands on the football. That's after nine OTAs and a minicamp. It's something he doesn't do naturally."

Lee said the Jets even do a "gauntlet" drill where they try to knock the ball loose and call it the "Sanchez Drill."

"Rex told me when he hired me if you get him to just hold onto the ball we'll get a whole lot better in a hurry," Lee said

Read more: Jets QB coach: Smith has work to do, Sanchez needs to cut down on turnovers http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_cut_coach_smith_has_work_down_5jv0N5Ugycsk434DbQPoWP#ixzz2W2QQEo4R

Mark Sanchez is done as a jet QB, and Santonio Holmes also. IMO he has to learn how to walk again? Him and Revis

got hurt a week apart Holmes was first to go down and Revis the next week. Revis is already running lightly, Holmes!

is doing nothing.........get this guy outta here I am tired of his nothing arse.

Does Rex Ryan even know who his offensive players are?   Tebow might not be fast, but the kid did run for close to 3K yards in College and had boatload of rushing TDs.

They barely used the guy last year except for stupid up the middle runs a few times.   And Kapernick..  The kid ran for like 1K yards every year in college. 

Geno Smith... He had like 400 yards rushing in his entire college career.    

I don't get the stupid comment from Rex. Either the guy is just spitting nonsense or he is that dumb when it comes to who actually is playing on his offense.  And it makes things far worse when you consider the fact they didn't know how to use Tebow, who was a far better runner than Smith, 

Does Rex Ryan even know who his offensive players are?   Tebow might not be fast, but the kid did run for close to 3K yards in College and had boatload of rushing TDs.

They barely used the guy last year except for stupid up the middle runs a few times.   And Kapernick..  The kid ran for like 1K yards every year in college. 

I don't get the stupid comment from Rex. Either the guy is just spitting nonsense or he is that dumb when it comes to who actually is playing on his offense.  And it makes things far worse when you consider the fact they didn't know how to use Tebow, who was a far better runner than Smith, 

As to Wrecks and the offense, not clear if he knows this is ending and he doesn't give a sh!t or he's that dumb.

And Kapernick..  The kid ran for like 1K yards every year in college. 

Rex has to know this. It's just something to tell the media. The wildcat appeals to Rex because it's basically a run play and if they are running it they aren't throwing interceptions. It makes sense in theory. In practice it hasn't worked since the Brad Smith era. 

Rex has to know this. It's just something to tell the media. The wildcat appeals to Rex because it's basically a run play and if they are running it they aren't throwing interceptions. It makes sense in theory. In practice it hasn't worked since the Brad Smith era. 

It is the new thing in the NFL , a running QB , the Jets do not have a top 10 QB ,I think Rex will try anything that can put points on the board , the Defence should be good with all the high draft picks

Rex makes stupid comments because he's stupid. Every time that dumb mofo opens his mouth, I lose more respect for him and despise him a little more.

You're asking for trouble if you are trying to squeeze some Kaepernick mojo out of Geno. 

Just cause he's black doesn't mean he can run like Kaep.

Racists.

is this serious? i didnt see anywhere where geno being black was mentioned

is this serious? i didnt see anywhere where geno being black was mentioned

I think it comes from the fact Geno is as much a running QB as Sanchez is and the Jets had a running QB last year in Tebow and didn't exactly use him at all.  

So the comment really makes no sense.  I just think Rex is either stupid, really has no clue what's going on on the offensive side of things, or he's just shouting so somebody hears him.    Because I'm not sure how you get wildcat and run from a QB who essentially never ran in college.

Rex makes stupid comments because he's stupid. Every time that dumb mofo opens his mouth, I lose more respect for him and despise him a little more.

Hard to argue that. I am a fan of Rex mostly due to his ability to coach defense. Always been a huge fan of defensive play. Yet, I find myself cringing every time he opens his mouth. I really think he has an impulse disorder and when he gets home and watches himself on TV let's a out a big Homer Simpsonesque... "DOH!!!!"

I don't like the idea of taking a QB who isn't a running QB and trying to turn him into one. That's not smart, and I really hope it isn't really happening. I do, however, like the idea of the Jets having a Geno Smith package ready to go if/when Sanchez emerges as the starter. Getting him out on the field with a few plays he's really comfortable with is a good way to get the kid acclimated and build his confidence.

Tebow's best runs were scrambles. He's not a good runner from scrimmage. He's slow and deliberate. He has some good moves for a big guy in the open field, but the trick is getting him into the open field. The Jets mistake with Tebow was acquiring him, and it went downhill from there.

Quarterback competition may not extend to Jets West

Posted by Mike Florio on June 12, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT

GenoAP

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez may think that the current quarterback competition is “awesome,” but that doesn’t mean he’s looking to compete any more than he has to.

Sanchez soon will be conducting his annual Jets West players-only pre-training camp workout camp, and it appears that quarterback Geno Smith won’t be there.

Specifically, Smith said to reporters on Wednesday “no comment” as to whether he’ll attend.  Last week, Sanchez said he has “no idea” whether Smith will be present.

There’s no reason for Sanchez to invite Smith.  As Sanchez explained after Tim Tebow was cut, friendship yields to competition.

“You’re just professional, and you’re cool and if the guy has a flat tire on the side of the road, I’m going to stop, I’m not just going to blow by him, but at the same time, I’m not sending him gifts on his birthday or anything,” Sanchez said of Tebow.

“I don’t see why it would be any different,” Sanchez said at the same time regarding Smith.  “I will help [smith] out as much as I can, but when we have to compete, we have to compete, that’s the way it goes.”

Since they’ll be competing at training camp, Sanchez has nothing to gain by giving the receivers a chance to improve their timing and familiarity with Smith.  The extra reps are aimed at helping the players and, ultimately, Sanchez when the time comes to practice and eventually play.  If the goal is to win the competition, Sanchez should have no desire to give Smith a chance to do the same.

Of course, Smith could always organize his own workout session, perhaps in the place where he played college football.  We’ll even supply the Jets West Virginia T-shirts.

Sometimes I wish I was born in a country were football really means soccer. Geesh

Archived