Rex Threatens to Bring in New Receivers as Drops Continue

flgreen

Rex threatens to bring in new receivers as drops continue for Jets
By ZACH BRAZILLER
Posted: 12:44 PM, June 13, 2013

Rex Ryan before Thursday's practice.
Jeff Zelevansky

Rex Ryan before Thursday's practice.

The Jets quarterback competition has drawn all the headlines since the draft, but no matter who will be under center in September, it may not matter if the team’s wide receivers continue to drop passes at such an alarming rate.

For the second straight day, Rex Ryan called out the underwhelming unit.

“We had something that I don’t think I’ve ever seen: We actually had a couple of drops in walkthrough yesterday, which is interesting,” he said. “And again, it has to get better. ... You should catch the football. It’s your job. We know we have to do a better job.

“We’ll have to try to fix that one way or the other. If that’s with other players, so be it. If that's guys stepping up, focusing, concentrating more, doing something that should come natural to them, that’s a possibility also.”

It’s not just one guy, either, Ryan said. Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill and Jeff Cumberland have all had issues holding onto the ball. Veteran Mike Sims-Walker is taking part in mini-camp this week on a tryout basis and Ryan said the organization will keep its eyes open to add receivers before training camp.

“To me, if you’re a receiver you shouldn't expect to make a football team or have a huge contribution to a football team if you can’t catch the football or are not consistently catching the football,” the coach said.

The Jets are without No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes, who is rehabbing from a Lisfranc injury suffered in Week 4 and could miss the season opener against the Buccaneers, though he said on Wednesday his rehabilitation is progressing.

“We need Santonio Holmes, I don’t think there’s any doubt,” Ryan said. “He brings a tremendous player. First year we had him he won like four games. He’s an MVP of a Super Bowl.”

zbraziller@nypost.com

Read more: Rex threatens to bring in new receivers as drops continue for Jets http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/rex_threatens_for_bring_jets_new_mY6S7VqkyaN8MqDyE3TIUM#ixzz2W7vIgeEe

He's starting to get it.

He'll be a much better HC with his next team.

And +1 on bringing Braylon back.

Yeah, I think all he needed was to be stripped down of all the "yes, men" that surrounded him. He's starting to say the right things, things you'd expect a half-way decent coach to say... now, can he back up the talk? As usual, that remains to be seen.

I do like the "do your job" version of Rex so far though.

The Jets are without "No. 1" receiver Santonio Holmes, who is rehabbing from a Lisfranc injury suffered in Week 4 and could miss the season opener against the Buccaneers, though he said on Wednesday his rehabilitation is progressing.

Corrected for accuracy.

He'll fix this in his usual manner--by saying some sh*t to a reporter and then do nothing.

"Like, ya know, I want all the, ya know, like, Jet fans to, like, know that, ya know, no one is gonna, like, ya know wanna play the, ya know, Jets, like."

Good. If Rex is becoming a better coach, that works for us. If he doesn't, he gets fired at the end of the year and that works for us too.

He's not a better coach. He's just muffling himself to pretend that he's a grown-up so another team gives him an interview when he's fired here. The clown shoes were getting a bit tight on the ankles.

He's not a better coach. He's just muffling himself to pretend that he's a grown-up so another team gives him an interview when he's fired here. The clown shoes were getting a bit tight on the ankles.

Either way, we win, so I'm not concerned.

I'm not sure what anybody can do.  You can work on routes, getting off the line quicker, physical strength, being aggressive,  not fumbling, being in the right position and so on,  but if you are in the NFL and can't catch a pass,   there really isn't much you can do. You just suck.    If you've been a WR for this many years and still can't catch, you probably will never be a guy who can just catch anything.   Everybody loves to say Hill is raw, but the guy can't catch.   After awhile you really have to accept the fact that he sucks.   Maybe he'll make a nice catch now and again, but if he's a guy you always hold your breath when a pass is thrown his way,  he's basically useless.

Archived