Rex Ryan reaffirms that he's a Heckuvafootballcoachdefensively and doesn't care what anyone says

T0mShane

Disagree.  When Rex got here the offense was literally a cast of nobodies with a great OL.  Kellen Clemens was his starter.  Him or Tanny, or whoever, wanted Sanchez.  So be it.  I hated the pick, many did.  But, they took the chance.  And they were successful with him right out the gates.  Yes, he sucked, and in a lot of ways they were winning despite him but he also led a bunch of comebacks and played well in big games (or well enough).  His 3rd year was a nightmare but he also broke the franchise records for most TD's in a season.  They were 8-5 and controlled their own destiny till Sanchez literally collapsed and has been worse and worse since.  

Point being, 4 years in just about the right amount of time to give a top 5 pick, especially QB.  Plenty of QB's dont start out with amazing stats.  Year 4 was atrocious so they drafted the best QB prospect in the draft.  Seems about right to me and that's with me absolutely hating Sanchez and never wanting to see him take another snap again. 

As far as the deterioration of the talent level...when Rex got here, he had a veteran led team with many on their last leg.  They tried to address certain positions and failed to replace them adequately, yet still remained a competitive Football team because our strength is coaching (winning despite your Qb is hard to do and typically its because you have good coaching).  It looks like they've done a better job of replacing some of those positions now, so lets see what happens.  Whether you put that on Tanny or Rex, well, that seems to be determined by whether you like Rex or not.  

Agree, especially the bolded. What I find funny is that the Rex haters pin the talent level on him. The fact is Tanny had final say in all player acquisitions and nobody knows for sure how many players Tanny acquired directly on account of Rex. We do know that Rex had one pick all his own each daft: the Terminator (5th), Powell (3rd) and I believe Josh Bush (6th) in the last draft. We also know that Hill was not a Rex choice and Boobyway was screaming for Wilson and Tanny wouldn't listen.Tebow IMO was driven by Woody (ticket sales), and they all wanted Sanchez.

Also, a major reason the talent level has dropped is a result of atrocious salary cap management, trading away of a gazzillion draft picks, and a mind boggling extension of Sanchez. None if this is on Rex.  

Rex should be judged on his coaching and not on player acquisitions. My biggest complaint on Rex is not pulling Sanchez last year (and his desire to have Soprano as OC). Even with pulling Sanchez, what were his options - SackElroy, Tebow? LMAO.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree.  When Rex got here the offense was literally a cast of nobodies with a great OL.  Kellen Clemens was his starter.  Him or Tanny, or whoever, wanted Sanchez.  So be it.  I hated the pick, many did.  But, they took the chance.  And they were successful with him right out the gates.  Yes, he sucked, and in a lot of ways they were winning despite him but he also led a bunch of comebacks and played well in big games (or well enough).  His 3rd year was a nightmare but he also broke the franchise records for most TD's in a season.  They were 8-5 and controlled their own destiny till Sanchez literally collapsed and has been worse and worse since.  

Point being, 4 years in just about the right amount of time to give a top 5 pick, especially QB.  Plenty of QB's dont start out with amazing stats.  Year 4 was atrocious so they drafted the best QB prospect in the draft.  Seems about right to me and that's with me absolutely hating Sanchez and never wanting to see him take another snap again. 

As far as the deterioration of the talent level...when Rex got here, he had a veteran led team with many on their last leg.  They tried to address certain positions and failed to replace them adequately, yet still remained a competitive Football team because our strength is coaching (winning despite your Qb is hard to do and typically its because you have good coaching).  It looks like they've done a better job of replacing some of those positions now, so lets see what happens.  Whether you put that on Tanny or Rex, well, that seems to be determined by whether you like Rex or not.  

I don't hate Rex. I was one of the first people on this site who wanted them to hire him but the bottom line is that he's really done a mediocre at best job here. The idea that Tannenbaum made these decisions himself is nuts. He got rex whatever Rex wanted which brings us to the PATHETIC level of offensive talent this team has even after you're saying they have reloaded this past offseason. They are STILL one of the bottom 3 or 4 talented team on offense in the NFL. Even when Rex spouts off and tells everyone how great he is he STILL adds "defensively" after every statement because the guy clearly doesn't care about being a great coach or learning how to get a clue as to how to coach offense. 

I don't hate Rex. I was one of the first people on this site who wanted them to hire him but the bottom line is that he's really done a mediocre at best job here. The idea that Tannenbaum made these decisions himself is nuts. He got rex whatever Rex wanted which brings us to the PATHETIC level of offensive talent this team has even after you're saying they have reloaded this past offseason. They are STILL one of the bottom 3 or 4 talented team on offense in the NFL. Even when Rex spouts off and tells everyone how great he is he STILL adds "defensively" after every statement because the guy clearly doesn't care about being a great coach or learning how to get a clue as to how to coach offense. 

John+Conner+Buffalo+Bills+v+New+York+Jet

Disagree. When Rex got here the offense was literally a cast of nobodies with a great OL. Kellen Clemens was his starter. Him or Tanny, or whoever, wanted Sanchez. So be it. I hated the pick, many did. But, they took the chance. And they were successful with him right out the gates. Yes, he sucked, and in a lot of ways they were winning despite him but he also led a bunch of comebacks and played well in big games (or well enough). His 3rd year was a nightmare but he also broke the franchise records for most TD's in a season. They were 8-5 and controlled their own destiny till Sanchez literally collapsed and has been worse and worse since.

Point being, 4 years in just about the right amount of time to give a top 5 pick, especially QB. Plenty of QB's dont start out with amazing stats. Year 4 was atrocious so they drafted the best QB prospect in the draft. Seems about right to me and that's with me absolutely hating Sanchez and never wanting to see him take another snap again.

As far as the deterioration of the talent level...when Rex got here, he had a veteran led team with many on their last leg. They tried to address certain positions and failed to replace them adequately, yet still remained a competitive Football team because our strength is coaching (winning despite your Qb is hard to do and typically its because you have good coaching). It looks like they've done a better job of replacing some of those positions now, so lets see what happens. Whether you put that on Tanny or Rex, well, that seems to be determined by whether you like Rex or not.

In one breath: "The team he took over sucked and had no talented players!"

The next breath: "All the talented players he inherited were old and irreplaceable!"

Agree, especially the bolded. What I find funny is that the Rex haters pin the talent level on him. The fact is Tanny had final say in all player acquisitions and nobody knows for sure how many players Tanny acquired directly on account of Rex. We do know that Rex had one pick all his own each daft: the Terminator (5th), Powell (3rd) and I believe Josh Bush (6th) in the last draft. We also know that Hill was not a Rex choice and Boobyway was screaming for Wilson and Tanny wouldn't listen.Tebow IMO was driven by Woody (ticket sales), and they all wanted Sanchez.

Also, a major reason the talent level has dropped is a result of atrocious salary cap management, trading away of a gazzillion draft picks, and a mind boggling extension of Sanchez. None if this is on Rex.

Rex should be judged on his coaching and not on player acquisitions. My biggest complaint on Rex is not pulling Sanchez last year (and his desire to have Soprano as OC). Even with pulling Sanchez, what were his options - SackElroy, Tebow? LMAO.

In one breath: "Nobody knows how much influence Rex had over personnel!"

The next breath: "Rex was only allowed to pick one player every draft...in the fifth round!"

The next breath: "Rex was only allowed to pick one player every draft...in the fifth round!"

Tom, forget it.  Much as the folks fervently supporting Chad and Sanchez, Rex will always have apologists blind to his many failings. 

Yes that is what is KNOWN because that is what Rex has alluded to. Does that mean he owns every other pick in the draft? Maybe he gets his one pick each draft and told to shut up during the rest of the draft. We don't know because we aren't there. That's what I was pointing out. Do you think Ducasse was a Rex pick? Tebow? Greene? Hill? Did Rex trade draft picks, extend Sanchez?

How about having one that doesn't make jackass comments nearly every time he opens his mouth? Or forget about his commentary ... physically does or is evolved in something that you would expect out of an 11 year old (if they were allowed to have wives ... tattoo's ... etc..) Perhaps that's too much to ask for ...

The guy who did that was stupid for another reason. When it comes to the Jets, everyone is stupid. Einstein would just be some a$$hole if he worked for Los Yets.

Bill Walsh cheated on his wife with a writer or cheerleader or something decades younger than him. People do stupid sh*t that has nothing to do with their job. Tattoos have nothing to do with Ryan's job beyond being press fodder during the offseason. 

In one breath: "The team he took over sucked and had no talented players!"

The next breath: "All the talented players he inherited were old and irreplaceable!"

If you're going to troll Th0mas, then at least be accurate about it. The post pretty ******* specifically says the offense sucked and was full of nobodies when he got here, which is true. He came in and had success right away with the bunch anyway.

A great deal of the talented players he inherited *were* old, and the GM *did* fail to provide quality depth and replacements. Jenkins, Woody, Pace, Scott, Faneca....That is a who's who of his D and OL from 2009-2010...Faneca is probably a HOF, Woody and Jenkins would be if the middle of their careers and injuries didn't slow them down, and Pace/Scott were very very good LBers at their best here. A sudden decline from all of them will throw any roster off, but EVEN THEN it took utter catastrophic play from the QB position to finish the Jets' playoff hopes in '11 and '12. 

I actually have a visceral ******* hatred for how easy this offseason has been for you. Laid out for you on a sliver ******* platter, with a built in following at that. 

If you're going to troll Th0mas, then at least be accurate about it. The post pretty ******* specifically says the offense sucked and was full of nobodies when he got here, which is true. He came in and had success right away with the bunch anyway.

A great deal of the talented players he inherited *were* old, and the GM *did* fail to provide quality depth and replacements. Jenkins, Woody, Pace, Scott, Faneca....That is a who's who of his D and OL from 2009-2010...Faneca is probably a HOF, Woody and Jenkins would be if the middle of their careers and injuries didn't slow them down, and Pace/Scott were very very good LBers at their best here. A sudden decline from all of them will throw any roster off, but EVEN THEN it took utter catastrophic play from the QB position to finish the Jets' playoff hopes in '11 and '12.

I actually have a visceral ******* hatred for how easy this offseason has been for you. Laid out for you on a sliver ******* platter, with a built in following at that.

"I hate when the Jets do bad things and people say they're bad!"

The guy who did that was stupid for another reason. When it comes to the Jets, everyone is stupid. Einstein would just be some a$$hole if he worked for Los Yets.

Bill Walsh cheated on his wife with a writer or cheerleader or something decades younger than him. People do stupid sh*t that has nothing to do with their job. Tattoos have nothing to do with Ryan's job beyond being press fodder during the offseason. 

I had less patience for Rex than most because I hated the talking shtick from the start

Yes that is what is KNOWN because that is what Rex has alluded to. Does that mean he owns every other pick in the draft? Maybe he gets his one pick each draft and told to shut up during the rest of the draft. We don't know because we aren't there. That's what I was pointing out. Do you think Ducasse was a Rex pick? Tebow? Greene? Hill? Did Rex trade draft picks, extend Sanchez?

Wrecks thinks "alluded" has to do with hookers, hotel rooms and quaaludes.He has NO IDEA what an allusion is.

Bill suckedwo before Brady. I we had a QB half as good as Brady Rex first two years we would have at least a championship

Hypotheticals are the crutch that can't win an argumentwith facts. Jif the jag off asked about their playoff records the last 4 years. Then I handed him his ass, like usual because I'm awesome.

The if/then about having Brady is garbage. Irrelevant to what Jif brought up. Plus as I said Rex insists on leaving players that cause losses in the game, in particular Sanchez.

Sure, but it's a terrible argument. Rex was here with a GM who didn't know his ass from his elbow when it comes to picking players making him the guy who is responsible for the players on a roster that has gotten worse every year he's been here. BTW the horrible rational of "we made the AFC Championship games so lets ignore that any metric shows that we made it DESPITE the QB who was miserable both seasons" just shows that Rex totally bought the fools gold of those seasons which is why the rest of the roster absolutely rotted. Rex completely failed in his evaluation of the players on the team and there is no argument against that fact.

If Sanchez could play, there wouldn't be any discussion about Rex's coaching ability.

It was perfectly reasonable for Rex and Tanny to buy in after getting to the championship game twice in a row. Sanchez was young and inexperienced, and put up his best performances in the playoffs. It was reasonable to believe that he'd continue to improve. Doubling down on that team was the right thing to do. Coming off your second championship game generally isn't the time to start a rebuild.

But Sanchez didn't improve, and the Jets didn't have a viable backup. Last year's offseason was horrendous, and was clearly the last straw for Tannenbaum. The man couldn't've screwed up the QB position any more than extending Sanchez and signing Tebow.

Think this season is shaping up as a setup to fire Rex Ryan. Idzik probably wanted to bring in his own guy, and Johnson instead didn't want to pay 2 coaches. Idzik knows this team is doing nothing in 2013, so let Ryan take the hit and start fresh with a ton of cap room and a new HC in 2014. What's astonishing is how either Rex is playing along for a paycheck or if he's that dumb.The stuff coming outr his mouth about the offense this week is so delusional suprising they haven't cut power to the building as he's speaking.

This is possible.

The Jets hold onto to coaches too long under Johnson. Herm's coordinators were thrust on him. Schotty was pushed on Rex. Rex definitely could've been forced on Idzik, and Mornhinweg could be pushed on the next guy if he has any success with the QBs on this roster.

But what is Rex supposed to say about the offense?

If Sanchez could play, there wouldn't be any discussion about Rex's coaching ability.

It was perfectly reasonable for Rex and Tanny to buy in after getting to the championship game twice in a row. Sanchez was young and inexperienced, and put up his best performances in the playoffs. It was reasonable to believe that he'd continue to improve. Doubling down on that team was the right thing to do. Coming off your second championship game generally isn't the time to start a rebuild.

But Sanchez didn't improve, and the Jets didn't have a viable backup. Last year's offseason was horrendous, and was clearly the last straw for Tannenbaum. The man couldn't've screwed up the QB position any more than extending Sanchez and signing Tebow.

This is possible.

The Jets hold onto to coaches too long under Johnson. Herm's coordinators were thrust on him. Schotty was pushed on Rex. Rex definitely could've been forced on Idzik, and Mornhinweg could be pushed on the next guy if he has any success with the QBs on this roster.

Rex doubled down on losing 1980s football after 10 and 09 when Sanchez didn't really do that much in the playoffs (he didn't have over 20 passes in any of the playoff games either of those years.) But not only did Rex not realize that Sanchez wasn't really doing much in the playoffs after HORRIBLE seasons both years and bring in someone else to play, he also let the strength of the offense, the running game and the OL rot by not having a plan to replace Woody when he retired, going with the mediocre Slausen and worst of all, handing carries to the ghost of LT and Shonn Greene. They didn't even "double down" because that would've involved bringing in better players to play that style of football but they brought in WORSE players than the guys they were replacing with almost no exception.

Saying "if Sanchez could play Rex would be fine" is just a truism. If you have a very good QB you're going to have a good offense but Rex deserves the blame for Sanchez being here AND for him playing so horribly for so long.   

Something other than, "It's a mess, I never wanted the ground and pound except for the one year it worked, and nobody listened to me, so I'm going to hide out in the defensive film room and hope Marty Mornhinweg fixes it."

Something other than, "It's a mess, I never wanted the ground and pound except for the one year it worked, and nobody listened to me, so I'm going to hide out in the defensive film room and hope Marty Mornhinweg fixes it."

Good, because he didn't say that. And me, personally, I really don't give a crap what he says.

But the offense is a mess, and the problem is personnel more than anything else. The old personnel guy was fired, and the new personnel guy has been completely handcuffed financially to make any real moves to fix it. So the offense is gonna be pretty messy this year, again. The QB is going to either be bad, raw, or both. The receivers broken, second tier, or both. Aside from Geno, all the limited resources they had for offense were spent on the running game. Rex can try to say it's not gonna be ground and pound anymore but, unfortunately, that's how they're built. Or not built. Because the cupboard was bare when Idzik took over, and so was the bank account.

The only thing they can really hope for is some miracle work by Mornhinweg. There's nothing else there. He needs to conjure a QB out of thin air. If/when he doesn't, the swollen masses can and will blame Rex, I guess, for being a defensive coach. Not that the swollen masses need permission.

An interview like this? I think it comes down to the relationship between Rex and Idzik. If Rex thinks Idzik is just using him for a seat warmer, it's hard to blame him for going into the bunker of the defensive meeting room. Maybe he's burnishing his credentials for his next gig. Maybe he's separating himself from an offense he knows will be bad, and focusing on a defense he knows he can make great. This is going to be a rough season for the Jets, and it would've been a rough year for the team no matter who their head coach was - because the personnel is very weak.

Good, because he didn't say that. And me, personally, I really don't give a crap what he says.

But the offense is a mess, and the problem is personnel more than anything else. The old personnel guy was fired, and the new personnel guy has been completely handcuffed financially to make any real moves to fix it. So the offense is gonna be pretty messy this year, again. The QB is going to either be bad, raw, or both. The receivers broken, second tier, or both. Aside from Geno, all the limited resources they had for offense were spent on the running game. Rex can try to say it's not gonna be ground and pound anymore but, unfortunately, that's how they're built. Or not built. Because the cupboard was bare when Idzik took over, and so was the bank account.

The only thing they can really hope for is some miracle work by Mornhinweg. There's nothing else there. He needs to conjure a QB out of thin air. If/when he doesn't, the swollen masses can and will blame Rex, I guess, for being a defensive coach. Not that the swollen masses need permission.

An interview like this? I think it comes down to the relationship between Rex and Idzik. If Rex thinks Idzik is just using him for a seat warmer, it's hard to blame him for going into the bunker of the defensive meeting room. Maybe he's burnishing his credentials for his next gig. Maybe he's separating himself from an offense he knows will be bad, and focusing on a defense he knows he can make great. This is going to be a rough season for the Jets, and it would've been a rough year for the team no matter who their head coach was - because the personnel is very weak.

Or here's a novel idea...maybe he's coaching to his strengths?  His strength is defense, thats what got him in the running for HC'ing gigs.  And guess what, he's damn good at it, like best in the biz good at it and he wants to be more involved and roll his sleeves up and start teaching more technique.  That's great news for the Jets defense.  With all the young talent on that side of the ball...its pretty exciting to see what he can do with these kids. 

This all goes back to this stupid myth that JN is all hung up on that in order to be a great HC, you have to know and be great on both sides of the ball.  Its the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  No coach does this, no coach fits that criteria.  I laugh at it.  

Think Sean Payton is sitting in on brother Rob's meetings?  Whats Mike Tomlin telling Dick LeBeau?  Mike McCarthy and Gary Kubiak teaching Dom Capers and Wade Phillips the 3-4 these days?  We could go on and on.  Of all the stupidity thats argued on this board.  This is the most frustrating of them all.  There isnt a single coach in the NFL that is a guru on both sides of the ball.  They all came from one side of the other, and thats what they stick to because they know it best.  Period. 

I think it's pretty important what Rex says, actually, and this interview is a mess, even for June. He sounds like he's eulogizing himself, while at the same time pointing to shadowy figures that were "driving" a different "message," while others were depleting the offensive roster behind his back. That he explicitly states that he can brag about his defensive stats points to what you said, and what I've been saying since it was confirmed that he was coming back, that he's going to circle the wagons around his defense, hope to preserve some statistical relevance that'll look nice on the résumé, and he'll throw that around next January when he's fired. Obviously, Rex didn't create this situation on his own, but he hasn't helped himself at all, and it doesn't appear as if Idzik is going to mortgage a single future dollar to help Rex, either. I don't blame Rex for planting some CYA seeds already, but it's still a sh*tty situation to be in as fans. This is a purgatorial season wherein we're not really moving forward. Rather, we're all just waiting to see if the coach can save himself while not screwing up the latest QB of the future.

Archived