Rex Ryan reaffirms that he's a Heckuvafootballcoachdefensively and doesn't care what anyone says

T0mShane

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the same way that hiring Tony Sparano and drafting Stephen Hill addressed the offense. Just keep throwing new faces at it, then hide in the film room studying tape of Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill.

No, and especially no to the first part. 

No, actually the way sports works is that you get a job, then, four years later after you drive the team into the ground, you say that you're starting over. Sports. And then some fans rejoice, while others say, "what?"

Rotflhoooohooooohooooo 6 wins is not the ground for the Jets. 

Turning over a roster happens all the time in sports, especially this one. That's all that is happening after the '08-'10 core got old or injured or both (then Sanchez'd). 

No no no. Real Jets fans love Rex Ryan, but hate Bill Parcells. Makes perfect sense, really.

Why should I love that fat carpetbagger?  He ran off before the job was done, but kept his nose stuck in there enough to run Belichik off.  A coach that made a ton of blunders and stuck us with sh*t contracts for his "guys" because he was so loyal.  Fat piece of sh*t never got us past the AFC Championship game. Which one am I talking about?

Why should I love that fat carpetbagger?  He ran off before the job was done, but kept his nose stuck in there enough to run Belichik off.  A coach that made a ton of blunders and stuck us with sh*t contracts for his "guys" because he was so loyal.  Fat piece of sh*t never got us past the AFC Championship game. Which one am I talking about?

LVUk2.gif

the late 90's Bill Parcells coaching staff might be the best assembled in NFL history. those guys really did turn chicken s--t into salad. But that was a lightning strike. Most coaching staffs don't have that level of impact. These days coaches coach and players play. and only a small percentage of the players make the difference between winning and losing. Difference makers is what the Jets need, not a new head coach. 

Why should I love that fat carpetbagger? He ran off before the job was done, but kept his nose stuck in there enough to run Belichik off. A coach that made a ton of blunders and stuck us with sh*t contracts for his "guys" because he was so loyal. Fat piece of sh*t never got us past the AFC Championship game. Which one am I talking about?

Are you also mad at George Washington for vacating the Presidency before the United States became a major world power?

You're the one who is twisting this.  Step back from the ledge, take a deep breath and a little time to think about this, and you'll see that I'm right.  I NEVER claimed that Carroll having said that made him a genius.  That was TOTALLY your own extrapolation.  It didn't make a rat's ass difference to me WHO said it.  The POINT was that Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL and no GM with half a brain should have taken him in the first round, let alone traded up for him.  As for the money, one (neither you nor anyone else) cannot definitively claim that Carroll was wrong.  Sanchez could have played lights out his Sr. season, USC won the National Championship and Sanchez could have been the #1 pick.  Failing that, he still could have been the #2, #3 or #4 pick and THUS have gotten more money than as the #5 pick the previous year.  Even if he had gone #5 in the draft in 2010, he still probably would have gotten more money than he did as #5 in 2009.  The only way Sanchez would have made less money initially was if he had not played well his Senior season and dropped in the rankings.

You also totally missed or ignored (for your convenience) the point that I made that with a different GM, Sanchez would never have seen that second huge contract, and would have followed up his rookie contract with probably a veteran minimum contract as a backup somewhere.  Conversely, if he stayed for his senior season, even if he dropped in the rankings, and thus got less money initially, having more experience and being better prepared for the NFL, he could have possibly come in, played a lot better his rookie season, and continued to improve each season, his confidence soared rather than dropped through the floor, and THEN have gotten a big enough second contract that he would have made more than coming out following his Jr. season, getting a big contract, sucking, then getting veteran minimum his second contract.  

OMG!!!!  YOU did!!!!

:face:

Rotflhoooohooooohooooo 6 wins is not the ground for the Jets.

Turning over a roster happens all the time in sports, especially this one. That's all that is happening after the '08-'10 core got old or injured or both (then Sanchez'd).

Hang on. Let me add this to The List of Things that Have Victimized Rex Ryan:

104. Hurricane Sandy

105. Tattooists

106. The Cruel March of Time.

Hang on. Let me add this to The List of Things that Have Victimized Rex Ryan:

104. Hurricane Sandy

105. Tattooists

106. The Cruel March of Time.

Yeah yeah, and Sanchez is Rex is Geno Smith is Stephen Hill is Marty Mornhinweg is Herm Edwards is Eric Mangini is Woody Johnson is Mike Tannenbaum is Vernon Gholston is Quinton Coples and so on and on....We get it. 

LOL.

Pete Carroll doesn't even have back to back championship game loses yet, and we're crowning him.

Some of you guys really have reading comprehension issues and perhaps ought to work on that before you make asses out of yourselves on the internet.  No one has crowned him anything yet.  Giving credit where it is due doesn't mean that he is "crowned" or "great" or even that I think he is.

Unless you have evidence that Mark would have been good had he waited a year, neither of you win.

You seriously need to learn how to read and understand what you read.  The only way Carroll would have been wrong would have been if Sanchez had stayed in school for his senior year, his stock dropped in the 2010 draft, he got a lesser rookie contract and second contract.  That didn't happen.  Thus, Carroll was not wrong.  That's a fact.  If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.

Parcells hate, for a Jets fan, is unconscionable.

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but if you aren't, I totally disagree.  He brought respect to the franchise, but only collaterally, and that respect left with him.  He didn't give a rat's ass about the Jets, only himself and his reputation.  He did a lousy job shopping for groceries, supposedly caused the Jets to miss on Peyton Manning, quit on the team in '99 for about 5 games following Vinny's injury, then quit following the season, leaving us stuck with Bradway as the GM and Al Groh as the HC.  He didn't build any kind of foundation for the franchise in the FO.  He probably laughed his ass off knowing that he stuck the Jets with Bradway and Groh. Eff Bill Parcells.

Some of you guys really have reading comprehension issues and perhaps ought to work on that before you make asses out of yourselves on the internet.  No one has crowned him anything yet.  Giving credit where it is due doesn't mean that he is "crowned" or "great" or even that I think he is.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a reading comprehension issue.  I would call it mostly a "I don't read most of your posts except the short ones" issue.  This falls under two policies I have.  1) Most people who go by a moniker including "Klecko" are blowhards and 2) shallow brooks are noisy (ie, those who need to write an essay every post typically have the least to say.  I can read just fine.  When it comes to you, for the most part, I'm choosing not to.  Yet still, I imagine you're the one to introduce Carroll into this thread about Rex, and therefore you're the one trumpeting the comparison.

You seriously need to learn how to read and understand what you read.  The only way Carroll would have been wrong would have been if Sanchez had stayed in school for his senior year, his stock dropped in the 2010 draft, he got a lesser rookie contract and second contract.  That didn't happen.  Thus, Carroll was not wrong.  That's a fact.  If you can't understand that, then I can't help you.

The only way Carroll is right is if you believe (and honestly can prove) that Sanchez's skill level heading into the 5th year of his NFL career is a result of him leaving college a year early as opposed to him just not being good at QB.  You can sling insults about reading comprehension, but it's clear anything that requires a level of thought or god forbid, abstraction, is well beyond your cognitive limits.

As bad as Mark is, the team went from 11 wins to 8 wins to 6 wins to being the punch line of the league for more reasons than Mark Sanchez. He's an easy scapegoat, but he's not the entire reason for the decline. The whole team has gone backwards, from A to Z, and Rex shares in the blame for that. If he had no other option than Sanchez, that's his problem, unless we think that he's eminently powerless to the point that he couldn't get a halfway decent backup added to the roster.

No, he's not the only reason for the decline. You know the reason for the decline, but Tannenbaum's already been fired, so now you're trying to lay his failings on the coach. The roster declined. Players were signed to high priced deals they either didn't deserve, or the Jets couldn't afford. Other players (or the same players) got old or otherwise declined. And all the money spent left the team depthless. Then, last year, they lost the best players on each side of the ball in Holmes and Revis. What was left? Not much. And yet Rex managed to squeeze six wins out of that group with the worst starting QB in the league.

If Holmes and Revis don't get hurt, the team probably doesn't drop below .500. Not sure how many great coaches do much -if any- better with the roster Rex had to work with last year.

Not sure how the lack of a backup QB is Rex's problem, either. Rex may've been all in favor of the Brunnel era, but when they needed a capable QB Tannenbaum inked Sanchez to an extension and came up with the Tebow idea. Not that I remember a ton a viable backups being available... But Tanny was his Tanny self, trading picks and spending money.

Adding a great QB to any coach's program would improve the program, but there aren't too many great QBs going around, so you have to find or make a good QB. Joe Flacco isn't a great QB. Colin Kaepernick isn't a great QB. Neither of those teams conceded wins because they didn't have Joe Montana. Most teams have to make it work without Aaron Rodgers.

I have a lot of respect for the Harbaughs as coaches, but those QBs blow away Mark Sanchez. I never said the Jets needed a superstar at QB, just competence. Replace Sanchez with either of those guys in Rex's first two years, and he might have a ring.

Rex is delegating authority to Mornhinweg in the same fashion that rats delegate authority on a sinking ship. I'm pretty sure everything in the OP interview made Idzik cringe. Look, Rex might go 8-8 and survive, and the onus will switch to Idzik, but it's unlikely even in the most optimistic scenarios.

Rex is doing what he should be doing if he's interested in winning and holding onto his job. He hired a genuine offensive coordinator, and he's going to coach the sh*t out of his defense with his rookie coordinator by his side.

If memory serves me correctly, Mangini didn't want Favre.  It was Woody Johnson and perhaps Tanny, who wanted Favre for the big splash and to seel PSLs.  Favre led the team early in 2008, but his injury and refusal to come off the field eventually led to the Jets' late season collapse which resulted in Mangini getting fired.

Mangini promised to name his kid after Favre if Brett agreed to sign with the Jets, and then he did.

The only reason the Jets didn't go 4-12 or worse in Mangini's third year is Brett Favre. Whatever the reason for bringing him to the Jets was, the result was wins. And when Favre got hurt, the result was losses. And how did Favre keep himself on the field? How does tough guy Mangini take orders from a player? That was Mangini's call. I think he was a little star-struck, and there was Favre's playing streak that he didn't want to end. All nonsense.

But the bottom line is that Favre was gone when Rex took over, and the team was a losing team without Favre. Yet Rex won with that team with Sanchez at QB.

I have a lot of respect for the Harbaughs as coaches, but those QBs blow away Mark Sanchez. I never said the Jets needed a superstar at QB, just competence. Replace Sanchez with either of those guys in Rex's first two years, and he might have a ring.

Sad, but ultimately true.  Mark Sanchez, as it turns out, is MUCH worse than Chad Pennington.  Yeah, I said it.  Pennington's flaw was that he was so rarely a positive force, but unlike Sanchez, outside of 2007, he was rarely the opponent's best weapon.

Mangini promised to name his kid after Favre if Brett agreed to sign with the Jets, and then he did.

The only reason the Jets didn't go 4-12 or worse in Mangini's third year is Brett Favre. Whatever the reason for bringing him to the Jets was, the result was wins. And when Favre got hurt, the result was losses. And how did Favre keep himself on the field? How does tough guy Mangini take orders from a player? That was Mangini's call. I think he was a little star-struck, and there was Favre's playing streak that he didn't want to end. All nonsense.

But the bottom line is that Favre was gone when Rex took over, and the team was a losing team without Favre. Yet Rex won with that team with Sanchez at QB.

Mangini also went 10-6 with the universally despised Pennington.

No, he's not the only reason for the decline. You know the reason for the decline, but Tannenbaum's already been fired, so now you're trying to lay his failings on the coach. The roster declined. Players were signed to high priced deals they either didn't deserve, or the Jets couldn't afford. Other players (or the same players) got old or otherwise declined. And all the money spent left the team depthless. Then, last year, they lost the best players on each side of the ball in Holmes and Revis. What was left? Not much. And yet Rex managed to squeeze six wins out of that group with the worst starting QB in the league.

If Holmes and Revis don't get hurt, the team probably doesn't drop below .500. Not sure how many great coaches do much -if any- better with the roster Rex had to work with last year.

Are you trying to make the case that Rex has done a good coaching job last year, or even the year prior? As if beating Ryan Lindell, Jake Locker, and Ryan Fitzpatrick-led lottery teams is awesome? He did beat Andrew Luck, though, so he has that. And you won't catch me excusing Tannenbaum, and I'll give Rex some credit for winning anything with Tanny as his GM, but the roster declined because of bad deals handed to guys that Rex wanted--Santonio Holmes, Bart Scott, and Mark Sanchez. None of those players were foisted upon Rex. Rex loveeeed Holmes because he couldn't cover him in Baltimore; he camped out in Bart's driveway for the opening of free agency; and he's got Mark Sanchez's jersey tattooed on his body for Christ's sake. Tannenbaum sucked largely because his coaches had to run the team for him. He was an awful leader with zero ability as a talent evaluator. This idea that Rex stood by and had his roster pushed upon him is ludicrous. He owns that. As far as the roster getting old, the fact is that every roster gets old, as no living thing is exempt from the passage of time. That Bart got old should surprise no one. That Damien Woody got old was not a surprise. Not developing their replacements is whose fault?

Not sure how the lack of a backup QB is Rex's problem, either. Rex may've been all in favor of the Brunnel era, but when they needed a capable QB Tannenbaum inked Sanchez to an extension and came up with the Tebow idea. Not that I remember a ton a viable backups being available... But Tanny was his Tanny self, trading picks and spending money.

This reminds me of that scene in Unforgiven, when Clint Eastwood shoots the saloon owner, and Gene Hackman screams, "YOU SHOT AN UNARMED MAN," to which Clint replies, "Well, he shoulda armed himself."

If slats was head coach of the NY Jets in the Spring of 2011, there is no way slats goes into the 2011 season without a capable fill-in starter in the event Sanchez gets hurt or continues to misfire. In the Spring if 2012, HC slats most definitely puts a real, live, capable backup on the team to protect himself in the then likely event that Sanchez fully implodes.

If Rex/Tanny drafted Kaepernick, they'd have had him running the Wildcat three times per game. Flacco, prior to last season, was a major question mark as to whether he would be worth re-signing. Jets fans on this very site scoffed at the idea of signing Flacco as a free agent. Both of those guys were coached up and surrounded with talent.

And you won't catch me excusing Tannenbaum, and I'll give Rex some credit for winning anything with Tanny as his GM, but the roster declined because of bad deals handed to guys that Rex wanted--Santonio Holmes, Bart Scott, and Mark Sanchez. None of those players were foisted upon Rex. Rex loveeeed Holmes because he couldn't cover him in Baltimore; he camped out in Bart's driveway for the opening of free agency; and he's got Mark Sanchez's jersey tattooed on his body for Christ's sake. Tannenbaum sucked largely because his coaches had to run the team for him. He was an awful leader with zero ability as a talent evaluator. This idea that Rex stood by and had his roster pushed upon him is ludicrous. He owns that. As far as the roster getting old, the fact is that every roster gets old, as no living thing is exempt from the passage of time. That Bart got old should surprise no one. That Damien Woody got old was not a surprise. Not developing their replacements is whose fault?

Tannenbaum also gave out bad deals to players like Calvin Pace before Rex got here. When Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, and Harris were all up at the same time, a smart GM would recognize that you have to pick and choose who to sign there. Love Mangold, like Harris, but those contracts stink. The roster got old with no replacements to be found because Tannenbaum was trading picks for Sanchez, Greene, Braylon, Cromartie, Jenkins, Favre, Tebow, etc., etc., and handing them big money - rather than drafting and developing talent.

But again, you know this, which is why I find your argument here to be a tad dishonest.

Of course, all of this doesn't matter to John Idzik as long as he plans on being a real GM. He's put his front office in place now, and it looks like he's going to be buying the groceries. So what does he care about Rex's personnel skills? Answer is: he doesn't. He needs to improve the top of the roster, add depth, and have someone in place who can coach them. That's how he'll judge Rex this year.

And yeah, I think Rex can coach. Every winning team beats a bunch of losing teams. The Jets had a terrible roster last year going into the season, then lost their two best players. Getting six wins out of that team was an accomplishment. Mangini won four games with the roster that Rex allegedly got to the championship game. How many wins does he get out of last year's Jets? How many does Pete Carroll get? Shoot, how many does a Harbaugh get? I think six was pretty much the maximum available there.

Whatever.  You obviously have nothing but contempt for Carroll and don't want to see what he's accomplished. To say that he's done nothing but for Wilson is patently untrue.

I also see that you can't even admit that you were wrong about Carroll's being the de facto GM of the Seahawks and has built them into a solid team.  As good as Wilson is, it wouldn't make that much difference if he didn't have good players around him on offense and a good defense.  He has those thanks to Carroll.

First of all, take it easy.

Second of all, I neither like nor dislike Pete Carroll.  I just think he's being WAYYYYYY overrated here.  And as is customary with Jets fans, all his bonehead moves (or the bonehead moves he advocated to his GM; Carroll is NOT the GM) are glossed over like moving draft picks for veterans (ridiculous compensation for Percy Harvin on top of the ridiculous contract extended to him; he also actually traded for LenDale White AFTER he flopped with the Titans, among other stupid pickups). 

He has a ridiculous home field advantage few others have (through no work of his own).  He stepped in sh*t big-time with Wilson in the SAME offseason they gave a brand new contract for Matt Flynn.  So the identical people judging Russell Wilson also judged Matt Flynn (and those incompetents before him) to be a worthy starting QB for the team.  He got lucky with Marshawn Lynch, who couldn't stay healthy for most of his career until very recently, after trading multiple picks away to shore up the RB position with Lendale White and Leon Washington.

Now that's ok and all, and good for him that things started to go his way.  But to make it out like he's done something special because he just knows better than others is to overrate the man's accomplishments.

Again, you can swat away the logic, but AS A COACH give him that Seahawks team with Sanchez & Kyle Wilson instead of Russell Wilson & Sherman (and give him Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy as the QB backups, and knock out Rice for the year in week 5 with a Lisfranc injury).  Then tell me how they still win the same number of games (or even close to it).  Oh yeah, and take away an ill-gotten win vs Green Bay that the replacement refs handed the Seahawks also.  

I'm just saying, just because you (or I) have a lot to criticize Rex for (and we all do), doesn't mean that Carroll is necessarily a better coach.  Jury is still very much out on that one.

You don't think Rex should bear the blame for the state of the roster because he's not a GM, nor should he bear the blame for the offensive failings because he's not an OC. What's left?

Quite the rearranging of my words.  But do I believe he should bear the blame for the player acquisition failings? No, I don't.  He is not a good judge of incoming talent unless it's someone he's coached (Scott, Leonhard) or coached with (Pettine).  And the way he plays favorites with undeserving players nauseates me to no end.

Not that Sparano wasn't a terrible hire, but I don't see what great things could have been accomplished on offense with Sanchez & co.

Favre kept himself on the field by downplaying the injury and hiding its severity.  He kept saying that he was ok, that it was just a minor, nagging kind of thing.  So it wasn't a matter of Mangini taking orders from Favre.  If you'll recall, Mangini was very upset when he found out how hurt Favre was and that he hurt the team by continuing to play hurt.

The true nature of a team isn't always reflected by their W-L record, regardless of what that fat jackass Parcells said.  The Jets had some talent (except at QB save Favre), but as you and others have pointed out, Mangini had lost the team by then.  They were fed up with his being too stifling, restrictive, too overbearing with his discipline.

Rex also had some better, more experienced players at his disposal than Mangini.   Also, don't forget how well Shaun Greene played late in the season and in the playoffs for Rex.  Listen, I'm not saying that Mangini can hold Rex's jock strap when it comes to coaching D, just saying that Mangini wasn't all bad, and had done enough good things to improve it from the mess that Herm and Bradway had left.

Tannenbaum also gave out bad deals to players like Calvin Pace before Rex got here. When Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, and Harris were all up at the same time, a smart GM would recognize that you have to pick and choose who to sign there. Love Mangold, like Harris, but those contracts stink. The roster got old with no replacements to be found because Tannenbaum was trading picks for Sanchez, Greene, Braylon, Cromartie, Jenkins, Favre, Tebow, etc., etc., and handing them big money - rather than drafting and developing talent.

But again, you know this, which is why I find your argument here to be a tad dishonest.

Of course, all of this doesn't matter to John Idzik as long as he plans on being a real GM. He's put his front office in place now, and it looks like he's going to be buying the groceries. So what does he care about Rex's personnel skills? Answer is: he doesn't. He needs to improve the top of the roster, add depth, and have someone in place who can coach them. That's how he'll judge Rex this year.

And yeah, I think Rex can coach. Every winning team beats a bunch of losing teams. The Jets had a terrible roster last year going into the season, then lost their two best players. Getting six wins out of that team was an accomplishment. Mangini won four games with the roster that Rex allegedly got to the championship game. How many wins does he get out of last year's Jets? How many does Pete Carroll get? Shoot, how many does a Harbaugh get? I think six was pretty much the maximum available there.

OK, I'm calling BS on the last paragraph.  Talk about being a tad dishonest.  You're smarter than that and know better than that.  Rex had a number of players on the roster that contributed well that Mangini didn't.  At QB. Mangini had Favre, Rex had Sanchez.  I think the sucky backups were the same.  At RB, Rex also had Shonn Greene, who played lights out at the end of the season and in the playoffs.  At WR Mangini had Coles, Rex didn't.  At TE, Mangini had Bubba Franks, Chris Baker and Keller.  Rex had Keller, Ben Hartsock and Matthew Mulligan.  You call it as to who had the advantage in terms of offense.  I guess you'd have to give the nod to Mangini with Favre and Coles.

On D, the edge definitely goes to Rex.  On the DL Mangini had Kenyon Coleman, Mike DeVito, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Kris Jenkins, & CJ Moseley.  Rex had Mike DeVito, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Kris Jenkins, Marques Douglas, Howard Green and Ropati Pitoitua.  At LB, Mangini had Eric Barton, David Bowens, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Marques Murrell, Cody Spencer & Jason Trusnik.  Rex had David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Marques Murrell, Bart Scott, Larry Izzo, Jamaal Westerman, & Ryan Harris.  Neither got anything from Gholston.  At DB Mangini had Revis, David Barrett, Ahmad Coleman, Drew Coleman, Abram Elam, James Ihedigbo, Ty Law, Dwight Lowery, Hank Poteat, Kerry Rhodes, and Eric Smith.  Rex had Revis, Jim Leonard, Marquice Cole, Lito Sheppard, Drew Coleman, James Ihedigbo, Dwight Lowery, Donald Strickland, Kerry Rhodes and Eric Smith.

With the fact that Rex is a much better defensive coach than Mangini, had better talent defensively, marginally less talent offensively, and got a huge boost from being a players' coach and breath of fresh air, it's easy to understand the difference between Mangini's and Rex's records in 2008 and 2009.

OK, I'm calling BS on the last paragraph.  Talk about being a tad dishonest.  You're smarter than that and know better than that.  Rex had a number of players on the roster that contributed well that Mangini didn't.  At QB. Mangini had Favre, Rex had Sanchez.  I think the sucky backups were the same.  At RB, Rex also had Shonn Greene, who played lights out at the end of the season and in the playoffs.  At WR Mangini had Coles, Rex didn't.  At TE, Mangini had Bubba Franks, Chris Baker and Keller.  Rex had Keller, Ben Hartsock and Matthew Mulligan.  You call it as to who had the advantage in terms of offense.  I guess you'd have to give the nod to Mangini with Favre and Coles.

On D, the edge definitely goes to Rex.  On the DL Mangini had Kenyon Coleman, Mike DeVito, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Kris Jenkins, & CJ Moseley.  Rex had Mike DeVito, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Kris Jenkins, Marques Douglas, Howard Green and Ropati Pitoitua.  At LB, Mangini had Eric Barton, David Bowens, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Marques Murrell, Cody Spencer & Jason Trusnik.  Rex had David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Marques Murrell, Bart Scott, Larry Izzo, Jamaal Westerman, & Ryan Harris.  Neither got anything from Gholston.  At DB Mangini had Revis, David Barrett, Ahmad Coleman, Drew Coleman, Abram Elam, James Ihedigbo, Ty Law, Dwight Lowery, Hank Poteat, Kerry Rhodes, and Eric Smith.  Rex had Revis, Jim Leonard, Marquice Cole, Lito Sheppard, Drew Coleman, James Ihedigbo, Dwight Lowery, Donald Strickland, Kerry Rhodes and Eric Smith.

With the fact that Rex is a much better defensive coach than Mangini, had better talent defensively, marginally less talent offensively, and got a huge boost from being a players' coach and breath of fresh air, it's easy to understand the difference between Mangini's and Rex's records in 2008 and 2009.

I call BS on you calling BS.

Rex mayve gotten a couple players on defense, but offensively, Rex had less talent before you start to consider Favre vs. Sanchez. Calling the difference marginal is absurd.

I call BS on you calling BS.

Rex mayve gotten a couple players on defense, but offensively, Rex had less talent before you start to consider Favre vs. Sanchez. Calling the difference marginal is absurd.

How do you figure that?  Favre, while having a great arm, was stupid and a bonehead interception waiting to happen.  He played better for the Jets than I ever expected him to, but still threw too many dumb pass attempts and was lucky he didn't have more picks.  Coles by that point, while decent, was nothing great.  TE is perhaps a wash or probably be called either way.  Franks was done.  Baker was a good blocker but a terrible receiver.  Hartsock and Mulligan were pretty good blockers, but were both penalty machines.  The OL was the same.  Where is that HUGE talent difference you indicate?

How do you figure that?  Favre, while having a great arm, was stupid and a bonehead interception waiting to happen.  He played better for the Jets than I ever expected him to, but still threw too many dumb pass attempts and was lucky he didn't have more picks.  Coles by that point, while decent, was nothing great.  TE is perhaps a wash or probably be called either way.  Franks was done.  Baker was a good blocker but a terrible receiver.  Hartsock and Mulligan were pretty good blockers, but were both penalty machines.  The OL was the same.  Where is that HUGE talent difference you indicate?

I figure it because it's not even remotely close. The only edge you can give is the Greene factor at RB, which accounted for 500 yards.

Coles caught 70 passes for 850 yards in 2008, the Jets #1 WR in 2009 was Cotchery with 57 catches for 821 yards. Braylon caught 35 passes. Keller's production was roughly the same in 2008 & 2009 (you seem to've forgotten Keller came a year before Sanchez), but Baker caught 21 passes for 194 yards whle Hartsock and Mulligan combined for two receptions.

But at QB, it's not even remotely close.

2008 Favre: 343/522, 65.7 comp%, 3472 yards, 22 TDs, 22 ints

2009 Sanchez: 196/364, 53.8 comp%, 2444 yards, 12 TDs, 20 ints.

A difference of 1000 yards and 10 TDs - along with a lesser int% rate. Come on.

Rex made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t his rookie year.

Archived