3 Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason ~ ~ ~

kelly

Three Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason, who suffers from ALS. Two of the fired hosts expressed deep contrition in the wake of the story.

Gleason: My life is awesome

0ap1000000212801.jpg
Steve Gleason discussed if he has any regrets playing football in a guest column on SI.com.
More ...

The other host, Nick Cellini, doesn't seem to understand why he lost his job.

In comments to AccessAtlanta.com, Cellini said it was a "relief" to get fired.
While he issued the customary apology, Cellini also said the skit just
gave the station an excuse to cut salary and hire a cheaper morning
show.

"That station is a sinking ship," Cellini said.

It's not a surprise that Cellini was the one who played the role
of Gleason in the failed skit. His colleague, Chris Dimino, on the other
hand, showed obvious discomfort while on air during the segment.
Dimino, however, didn't step up enough to stop the skit as it happened.
He posted a Facebook message late Monday night that is worth reading in full.

"The sheer stupidity of trying to put this as a failed attempt at
humor is not lost on me," Dimino wrote. "The words 'Should have known
better' mean nothing to me. And shouldn't to you right now."

The evolution of the NFL:

Take a look at how the NFL has evolved from its humble roots, and the efforts being made to ensure it continues to grow.

The rest of the clear-headed, heartfelt message reads like a

devastated family man who understands how a few wayward minutes can
change a life.

"I hope I get a chance to prove this is not who I want to be,"
Dimino wrote. "It was and is who 'I am' today, though. That much is not
lost on me. I have spent so long not trying to put other people in a bad
place because of me. Today I failed miserably."

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212882/article/fired-atlanta-radio-host-calls-station-a-sinking-ship

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Gleason sees ALS charity donations rise

Even the dumbest story can have a happy ending.

Just days after three Atlanta radio hosts were fired for mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason for suffering from ALS, Gleason's charity has seen a big boost in donations.

Gleason: My life is awesome

0ap1000000212801.jpg

Steve Gleason discussed if he has any regrets playing football in a guest column on SI.com.

More ...

In the 72 hours since Gleason wrote a guest column on SI.com and was the subject of the radio skit, donations to the charity have jumped an estimated 75 percent over the most recent six-month average, according to numbers provided to Around The League by Clare Durrett of Team Gleason.

The donations over that span

also are 20 percent greater than the rise in donations following

Gleason's media tour during the 2013 Super Bowl.

Team Gleason's mission is to provide help to individuals with

neuromuscular diseases or injuries by using leading-edge technology,

equipment and services.

"There are zero treatments for ALS," Gleason said in a statement

earlier this week. "If you take any action as a result of this event, I

prefer it to be action to end ALS. See what we are doing to change that

at TeamGleason.org."

The charity also aims to create a "global conversation" and raise

awareness toward ALS. That conversation was furthered this week. It's

great to see Gleason turning an unfortunate moment into such a positive.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213641/article/steve-gleason-sees-als-charity-donations-rise

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said.  We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment.  Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity. 

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts.  Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

Who wants freedom of speech and press anyway? Sometimes people can be too free, amirite?

They're not being criminally prosecuted for what they said.  They got fired.  Big difference.  No one is stopping them from doing this exact sketch to their heart's content for another radio station if they really wanted to.

They're not being criminally prosecuted for what they said.  They got fired.  Big difference.  No one is stopping them from doing this exact sketch to their heart's content for another radio station if they really wanted to.

Yep. It's always amazing to me how many people don't make the distinction between "being prosecuted and/or jailed by the state" and "being fired by your employer."

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said.  We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment.  Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity. 

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts.  Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

I agree with you that people shouldn't be so offended about a lot of things, but these guys are very public faces of a brand. It wasn't like they were making fun of somebody's haircut, or somebody's poor decision not to wear underwear, or vegans, they publicly embarrassed a guy with a condition he can't do anything about. Nobody likes it when disabled people get picked on, and if the bottom line is to make money, this kind of stuff is bad for your brand and bad for your business (especially since one of these knuckleheads don't even seem aware that what he did was insensitive and tasteless).

It's still horsesh*t. Censorship is stupid. It's f'n entertainment media. 

lol no its not.  When what you say may cause a decrease in listeners, therefore $$$, you get fired for something like this.  Its a money-driven media.  No one is censoring these guys from doing whatever the heck they want......just for another station.

I'm not at all a PC person, but what these guys did was real low ball.

He's not censoring them.  Telling them what to say in the bar.  He's just not going to pay them to say it.

lol no its not.  When what you say may cause a decrease in listeners, therefore $$$, you get fired for something like this.  Its a money-driven media.  No one is censoring these guys from doing whatever the heck they want......just for another station.

Problem is, if one person is offended....everyone else has to suffer. And someone is always offended.

While I dont like what they said or did, I find it ridiculous that we are firing people because of stupid things being said. We are so quick to the draw these days to be offended and look for the offending party to suffer dire consequences even if they deserved a harsh punishment. Businesses are too quick to act before knowing what the fallout really will be or allowing this to be an opportunity to learn and grow from a moment of stupidity.

We have become a society of victims looking to be offended at every chance we can get, and want to get severe revenge for these stupid acts. Its time for society to grow a backbone, stop getting offended so easily about everything, and find ways to learn from stupid moments instead of trying to bury them and pretend they didnt happen.

Meh, right argument on the wrong topic.

Problem is, if one person is offended....everyone else has to suffer. And someone is always offended.

That's up to the discretion of the company.  I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it.  One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet.  Hundreds, thousands or more might.  That's what this station was dealing with here.

That's up to the discretion of the company. I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it. One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet. Hundreds, thousands or more might. That's what this station was dealing with here.

Agreed. Always about the bottom line. What always confuses me is why they hire these types of guys to begin with, when they already know they say crazy sh*t. ESPN hiring Limbaugh was basically the definition of this. Shapiro yucked it up on Imus for years. They do push the envelope comedy.

Meh, right argument on the wrong topic.

obviously i disagree with you...

That's up to the discretion of the company.  I'm sure talk shows get letters every day about something they were offended about but they do nothing about it.  One person being offended means nothing to a company's walet.  Hundreds, thousands or more might.  That's what this station was dealing with here.

they didnt even have a chance to deal with any real blowback,   They made a rash decision based on media attention on one day.  They didnt even wait to see if there was any hit to their wallet.

And thats what every single media organization & many companies do these days.  instead of riding out the storm, cut ties immediately.  Bunch of crap.  I mean hell...  a week later and the only place discussing this still is JN.

+1. Sad stupid premise for a skit, granted. But fired and forced into phony apologies, etc.? I'm getting so sick of apologies for the sake of sponsors. It all started with Howard Cosell saying, "look at that little monkey go!" Referring to a black running back. Huge S storm and outrage and dozens of apologies later it turns out "little monkey" was a term of endearment he used with his kids and grand kids.

Some of you guys are scary in how willing you are to defend sh*t firings like this. Every single time you hear the same thing - the company has the right. No worries on how a media entertainment company using this right to censor...apparently a real thing we should respect...reverberates.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. Nobody really gives a sh*t what these guys said - its already long finished as a story - but we continue to give into the whims of whiny, sniveling little faggots who do not represent the majority but do know how to shed a phony tear.

Btw what they said did not violate any FCC rules.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. 

Luckily Max is my dude as some wanted me banned for a Mike Tyson's Punch Out reference.

Some of you guys are scary in how willing you are to defend sh*t firings like this. Every single time you hear the same thing - the company has the right. No worries on how a media entertainment company using this right to censor...apparently a real thing we should respect...reverberates.

I am absolutely sick of the forced apologies to quiet a handful of ******* pussies who live in this fantasy world where right #1 is that you can live life unoffended. Nobody really gives a sh*t what these guys said - its already long finished as a story - but we continue to give into the whims of whiny, sniveling little faggots who do not represent the majority but do know how to shed a phony tear.

Yeahhhhhhh, brooooooooooo. **** the maaaaaaaaan, brooooooooo.

Years ago they wouldn't have been fired, but not because of (or not only because of) PC reasons.  It's because of the internet.  Every word is recorded and distributed to millions of people that it never would have reached.  Back long enough ago there wouldn't have been enough people to hear this (in particular since radio was local).  But now you've got angered/offended people who never heard of any of these 3. I'll bet most of them didn't listen to the "skit" anyway (like me).  

Same thing with Imus.  As offensive as his comments were to so many people, it's nothing most haven't heard before (or hear regularly/daily).  And most of those who were offended weren't likely to have been Imus listeners anyway.  What's offensive about Imus is that he is not funny and still is on the air (independent of anything "offensive" he's said over the years).  Also his ugly face offends me.

Years ago they wouldn't have been fired, but not because of (or not only because of) PC reasons.  It's because of the internet.  Every word is recorded and distributed to millions of people that it never would have reached.  Back long enough ago there wouldn't have been enough people to hear this (in particular since radio was local).  But now you've got angered/offended people who never heard of any of these 3. I'll bet most of them didn't listen to the "skit" anyway (like me).  

Same thing with Imus.  As offensive as his comments were to so many people, it's nothing most haven't heard before (or hear regularly/daily).  And most of those who were offended weren't likely to have been Imus listeners anyway.  What's offensive about Imus is that he is not funny and still is on the air (independent of anything "offensive" he's said over the years).  Also his ugly face offends me.

Havent listened to Imus in years, but some of the youtube clips from the 90's pranking into Francesa and other WFAN mongos we're pretty hilarious. Imus was on every morning in the house growing up- some of it sucked and some of it I laughed at. Also, Imus birthed Mike Breen, who's probably the best play by play guy in the biz- and he was hysterical on the show.

Everyone has their own taste...I'd imagine 99% of us wouldnt find ALS jokes funny...but there are comedians out there who put nothing off limits either. As a listener or message board contributor....I cant imagine myself ever bitching or demanding someone getting fired/banned over words. Just block the person or change the channel.

Here's a clip of the skit.  A New Orleans radio show got the skit on tape, and the New Orleans radio announcer is playing the tape for his audience.  Just listen:

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=2911&c=12111&f=1536721

And people on this thread are complaining these guys are out on their ass a couple of hours after the show ended?  

Havent listened to Imus in years, but some of the youtube clips from the 90's pranking into Francesa and other WFAN mongos we're pretty hilarious. Imus was on every morning in the house growing up- some of it sucked and some of it I laughed at. Also, Imus birthed Mike Breen, who's probably the best play by play guy in the biz- and he was hysterical on the show.

Everyone has their own taste...I'd imagine 99% of us wouldnt find ALS jokes funny...but there are comedians out there who put nothing off limits either. As a listener or message board contributor....I cant imagine myself ever bitching or demanding someone getting fired/banned over words. Just block the person or change the channel.

Comedians only represent themselves individually.  These guys represent a radio station (whether they believe so or not).  That is why they got fired.

Do me a favor, go tell your boss off and to go **** themselves.  Then be sure to cry about free speech to them as they fire your ass.

The bottom line is the company decided (for whatever their reason, it really doesn't matter) that they no longer wanted to retain these guys as their employees.  What possible reason could you use to justify the idea that a company should be forced to retain an employee they no longer want anything to do with?  Keep in mind, as much as I disagree with what they did, my initial thought was not that they absolutely had to be fired for it, but that doesn't change the fact that their employers have every right to make that decision as they see fit.  Legality and FCC rules doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.  I'd imagine 99% of the things people get fired for are perfectly legal.  You have the legal right to suck ass at your job, it still doesn't make it wrong for you to get fired for it.

Do me a favor, go tell your boss off and to go **** themselves.  Then be sure to cry about free speech to them as they fire your ass.

That isn't what those guys did and stupid, reactionary firings like this is exactly why radio ate itself alive. Podcasts are laying waste to radio land because those faggots NEVER back their product despite knowing what they are getting into. 

The bottom line is that company is weak and it will be hilarious when they go out of business because they failed to do their jobs of putting on a quality, entertaining radio program. 

What possible reason could you use to justify the idea that a company should be forced to retain an employee they no longer want anything to do with? 

Again, not even remotely the situation. I bet those guys weren't even on the corporate radar for whatever sh*t company that is until their 5 minutes came up and the company chose to panic. Like I said, well within their rights but totally a sign that that company has a bunch of sh*t for brains and everyone wears their panties bunched.

By all relevant accounts I have heard those guys did not suck at their job. At least the company has the support of the people - the company is our friend. Owners are the friend of sports fans...The ******* mentality is really, really scary. 

...reactionary firings like this is exactly why radio ate itself alive....
....The bottom line is that company is weak....

Yeah, they should be cool and wait several days while umpteen groups representing ALS victims and their families call press conferences the national media covers, complete with inspirational stories about how ALS victims still manage to give meaning to their lives despite living with a degenerative disease.

Then after several days of nonstop jokes by Letterman, Leno and Fallon and being made a national joke generally, the station should decide to fire the guys then, thereby transmitting to the nation the idea that the station management is a collection of gut-free wusses who only do the right thing when the heat comes down.

Brilliant.

Archived