3 Atlanta radio hosts were fired Monday for a senseless skit mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason ~ ~ ~

kelly

^^ Still refuses to acknowledge that radio has a set of written rules that were not broken. Unwritten rules are not laws, and they had every single right to make that joke without punishment. There was no threat to Gleason made, no life was endangered, no one was scratched, and life should have just moved on in a rational, sane adult world that lived by the rules they wrote rather than feeding every phony, sanctimonious, emotional whim. 

Free speech does not mean you are free to say anything you want and then hide behind the constitution

Educate yourself

This.

It does not matter what your profession is.  While a cashier at a gas station or a Radio Station personality or a CEO have the right to say something controversial, the employer has the right to fire you if it comes to light.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not how jokes work.

Radio DJs work entertainment and media and abide by FCC rules, again not broken by these DJs. This is a joke, almost totally out context and written on paper to be seen as a negative, at some random office. The only similarity here is that someone might be unfairly fired because we passively allow our language to be policed to make room for over sensitivity and entitlement.

You absolutely can, and the station chose a long term rash decision to band-aid temporary bullsh*t. Everyone supposedly so outraged over this situation will be moving on to the next thing that offends them within weeks or months.

Here's one.

"Knock knock."

"Who's there."

"Gato's cousins in a landscaping truck"

.....Radio DJs work entertainment and media and abide by FCC rules, again not broken by these DJs. 

LOL, so the DJ's are guaranteed not to get fired for what they say on the air, no matter how offensive the station finds it, if they don't break FCC rules?

Where did you get this idea from?

........the station chose a long term rash decision to band-aid temporary bullsh*t. Everyone supposedly so outraged over this situation will be moving on to the next thing that offends them within weeks or months. 

One of the marks of a good manager is that he gets ahead of the problem, deals with the incident before it becomes a big problem.  If these DJ's were not cut loose press conferences would have been given by organizations representing ALS sufferers and their families, and these would be covered by the national media complete with interviews with the families and children these sufferers are soon to leave behind.  The station would not just come under fire from a few organizations, there would be a national firestorm, with TV, radio and internet media lambasting the station.

Letterman, Leno and Fallon would have a field day ripping the station and their DJ's, and the station would be a national joke for a long time.

The swift executive action of the station-firing the DJ's within a couple of hours-avoided all that.  And you blame them.

LOL, so the DJ's are guaranteed not to get fired for what they say on the air, no matter how offensive the station finds it, if they don't break FCC rules?

Where did you get this idea from?

From America lol. Americans really just...holy sh*t...you people are scary. You really don't understand how scary you are either. The station only finds it offensive because they've been told to find it offensive. It's hard to imagine the guys with the power to fire both the DJs over a bit actually heard the bit live. It is extremely likely they did not, and would never have heard it if America didn't breed this crowd of professionally outraged lobbyists happy to censor. 

Free speech does not mean you are free to say anything you want and then hide behind the constitution

Educate yourself

Yeah, hiding behind the constitution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hiding behind phony, professional outrage. There's a little more value to the constitution than there is to sanctimonious emotions from a crowd that usually disperses seconds after they make their kill, leaving the carcass to just rot. It's a sick, sadistic mindset at work (just as sick as it took to make the joke but with far more evil intentions) not working under a single law of the land but rather their own deluded sense of emotional outrage and what that should mean to everyone else. The world would be better off without people like that. Those people actually intend to harm those DJs as much as they can, even if it's not physical, while those DJs made a ******* joke on the airwaves that complied with the ******* rules of American radio with no harm done to the man the joke was based on. That man accepted the DJs apologies, like adults can and often do.

I will never understand how you people can work your minds around supporting something so unbelievably and obviously against everything this country has said it is about, but if that's your agenda then so be it. I'm sure the wife, 2.5 kids, dog, and white picket fence is totally worth it and certainly you won't live long enough for this to hit your front door. **** those guys, right!? Yuch...

From America lol. Americans really just...holy sh*t...you people are scary. You really don't understand how scary you are either. 

Yeah, everyone remembers the part of the constitution that said "LOLZ JOKEZ R GR8!!"  Pretty sure it came right after the line about how no person should ever be held responsible for their own actions, just as long as they are deemed to be legal.  Because that clearly goes right in line with the entire concept behind the American Revolution and the existence of this country.

I suppose we all better apologize to the Brits, huh?  I mean, where the hell did we get off taking issue with what they were legally deciding to do anyway?  Stupid America.

Yeah, hiding behind the constitution >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hiding behind phony, professional outrage. There's a little more value to the constitution than there is to sanctimonious emotions from a crowd that usually disperses seconds after they make their kill, leaving the carcass to just rot. It's a sick, sadistic mindset at work (just as sick as it took to make the joke but with far more evil intentions) not working under a single law of the land but rather their own deluded sense of emotional outrage and what that should mean to everyone else. The world would be better off without people like that. Those people actually intend to harm those DJs as much as they can, even if it's not physical, while those DJs made a ******* joke on the airwaves that complied with the ******* rules of American radio with no harm done to the man the joke was based on. That man accepted the DJs apologies, like adults can and often do.

I will never understand how you people can work your minds around supporting something so unbelievably and obviously against everything this country has said it is about, but if that's your agenda then so be it. I'm sure the wife, 2.5 kids, dog, and white picket fence is totally worth it and certainly you won't live long enough for this to hit your front door. **** those guys, right!? Yuch...

Actually, because you're wrong and what happened to them is in absolutely no way contrary to a single thing written anywhere in the constitution.  In reality, the actions of their employers are what is well within their constitutional rights.  The rest of this post is nothing more than you attempting to do the same sort of nonsensical pandering that you're accusing everyone who dares disagree with you of doing.

Alright Einstein, if the radio station was wrong to fire the DJ's, where is the wrongful termination lawsuit?

.... Americans really just...holy sh*t...you people are scary. You really don't understand how scary you are either. The station only finds it offensive because they've been told to find it offensive.

Who told them?  I haven't seen any news stories about any outside individual calling up the radio station and giving orders to fire the three hosts.  Do you know for a fact someone did, or are you just making this up and expecting us to disprove it?

It's hard to imagine the guys with the power to fire both the DJs over a bit actually heard the bit live. It is extremely likely they did not, and would never have heard it if....

I have no idea if the station management heard it live, heard a tape when they investigated after getting a rash of complaints, or got a synopsis of the skit from whoever was in charge of the station when the show was being broadcast.  It doesn't matter.  The management, as is their right, decided the skit was sufficiently over the line that it was time for the DJ's to go.

...if America didn't breed this crowd of professionally outraged lobbyists happy to censor.

Lobbyists are people who hang around legislatures and offer financial support to the re-election campaigns of candidates who vote their way.  Are these the people you claim commanded the radio station to fire the hosts?  If so, please provide links to support this-I've never heard of lobbyists abandoning legislatures to concentrate on radio stations before.

Who told them?  I haven't seen any news stories about any outside individual calling up the radio station and giving orders to fire the three hosts.  Do you know for a fact someone did, or are you just making this up and expecting us to disprove it?

Lol.  Just stop already. Keep feigning the ignorance, I get it. Until it affects you on a direct, everyday level you won't notice or care and that's just the way it is. Welcome to 21st century America, land of the free!  

Until it affects you on a direct, everyday level you won't notice or care and that's just the way it is.

What part of these DJ's plight, caused you to notice on such a personal level yourself?

This is why you should get ALS. So you can understand Steve Gleason's situation on a direct, everyday level.

Lol. Just stop already. Keep feigning the ignorance, I get it. Until it affects you on a direct, everyday level you won't notice or care and that's just the way it is. Welcome to 21st century America, land of the free!

First they came for the anti-Semitic humor, and I said nothing because I didn't tell Jewish jokes.

The they came for the N-word, and I said nothing because I have a few friends who are black.

Then they came for the rape jokes, and I said nothing because rape is gross.

Then they came for my sweet jokes, and there was no one left to speak for me.

Lol.  Just stop already. Keep feigning the ignorance, I get it. Until it affects you on a direct, everyday level you won't notice or care and that's just the way it is. Welcome to 21st century America, land of the free!  

No, I just want you to define what it is you are complaining about.  You said the station got outraged and fired the DJ's because they were told to be outraged.and fire them.  You made it clear that someone from outside the organization had the power to command the station to let the DJ's go, and that the station management complied without even hearing the skit, so powerful is this outside individual's commands.

I just wanted to know who this person is who was able to do this.  Who ordered the station to fire the hosts?

Later in the post you blamed lobbyists.  Are they the ones you claim ordered the firing?  Because lobbyists deal with influencing legislation, not with radio stations.

Please back up your claims.

First they came for the anti-Semitic humor, and I said nothing because I didn't tell Jewish jokes.

The they came for the N-word, and I said nothing because I have a few friends who are black.

Hahaha clever! Way over this thread's IQ.

I'm torn between thinking how clever this is, and thinking "WTF?"

What part of these DJ's plight, caused you to notice on such a personal level yourself?

This is why you should get ALS. So you can understand Steve Gleason's situation on a direct, everyday level.

Wishing a disease on someone because you disagree with them is almost as classless as making fun of someone with said disease.

Archived