Aaron Hernandez Charged With Murder: MERGED

Blackout

You know what's funny about destroying evidence? It leaves you with no evidence. These cops have spent the last two days trying to break Hernandez's boys and it doesn't seem like they're having too much luck. I think he's gonna skate.

It's a homicide investigation and it's been 48 hours. This is like bit declaring that Geno's worse than Sanchez because of five OTA sessions.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a homicide investigation and it's been 48 hours. This is like bit declaring that Geno's worse than Sanchez because of five OTA sessions.

Maybe I've watched too much CSI, but the body was found on Monday, and it seems pretty clear that Hernandez (and/or crew) did it. I'm thinking if they had a single piece of material evidence linking them, they'd have Hernandez in jail already. It's like how everyone knew Ray Lewis stabbed that guy, but nobody could prove it in a court of law.

Because at the time of the incident, the victim refused to name his attacker?

Why? 

He wanted/wants money.

Again, I am not saying Heernandez is innocent of anything..far from it.

You know what's funny about destroying evidence? It leaves you with no evidence. These cops have spent the last two days trying to break Hernandez's boys and it doesn't seem like they're having too much luck. I think he's gonna skate.

Or Hernandez flips. 

Maybe I've watched too much CSI, but the body was found on Monday, and it seems pretty clear that Hernandez (and/or crew) did it. I'm thinking if they had a single piece of material evidence linking them, they'd have Hernandez in jail already. It's like how everyone knew Ray Lewis stabbed that guy, but nobody could prove it in a court of law.

This:

Or Hernandez flips.

The 48 hours after they make a couple arrests is more important than the 48 hours they spend looking for a sideview mirror.

And I'll see your CSI and raise you The Wire. MY TELEVISION-BASED KNOWLEDGE OF LAW ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURE IS SUPERIOR TO YOUR TELEVISION-BASED KNOWLEDGE OF LAW ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURE.

/Simmons'd

:loads old episodes of Columbo into VHS:

If Hernandez is a murdering thug, that's on him. I hate the Pats, but this is(or would be) so far beyond that. Aaron Hernandez is at fault, not anyone else.

I hate the Pats, but you're right, this is on Hernandez if he's guilty.  If he is guilty, it's so stupid and sad that he would throw his life and career away.

Good post.

So is an obstruction of justice something that could land in jail or is it just a misdemeanor? 

According to Wikipedia (what do you mean it's not 100% accurate?), obstruction of justice is a felony. So I'd guess there'd be jail time involved if he's found guilty and doesn't take a deal.

According to Wikipedia (what do you mean it's not 100% accurate?), obstruction of justice is a felony. So I'd guess there'd be jail time involved if he's found guilty and doesn't take a deal.

so basically Goodell will suspend him or he is in jail

sounds good to me.  i hope Goodell doesn't give him a slap on the wrist after punishing Vick and Big Ben for NOT killing people

so basically Goodell will suspend him or he is in jail

sounds good to me.  i hope Goodell doesn't give him a slap on the wrist after punishing Vick and Big Ben for NOT killing people

Vick killed dogs. He should have been banned for life. Scumbag.

someone else will take the rap

could be that nobody takes the rap.i grew up and lived in Bristol,ct for 30 years.i know the thugs hernandez rolls with.pretty serious people and by no means stupid. they destroyed what evidence they could and they will keep their mouth shut.if in fact,there is no concrete evidence connecting herandez or his boyz directly to the body,they will all walk on the murder charge

Kraft and BB will find someone to take the fall for this one.  They have talented videographers working for them after all.

yeah looks like they will all just shut up and lawyer up.  wonder if someone cracks when they are offered  deal

Kraft and BB will find someone to take the fall for this one.  They have talented videographers working for them after all.

Nope not for this one.  This will be 1st degree murder.  Guy was shot in the back of the head execution style. 

Aaron Hernandez Live Blog: Detectives, State Police, Police Dogs Enter Hernandez’s House, According to NY Daily Newsby NESN Staff on Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 2:34PM

Aaron Hernandez2:34 p.m.: Aaron Hernandez has a massive playhouse/doghouse in his backyard. Detectives have been searching the playhouse extensively, according to Armstrong.

2:19 p.m.: Police are back to searching a wooded area near Hernandez’s house, according to Nick Underhill from MassLive.com.

1:58 p.m.: Police have brought in a second dog to search Hernandez’s house, according to Armstrong.

1:55 p.m.: Another group of detectives and state police have entered Hernandez’s house, according to Armstrong.

Armstrong also reports that police have retrieved a German shepherd police dog to search Hernandez’s house.

1:45 p.m.: Detectives have entered Hernandez’s house, according to Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News. Armstrong also tweeted there are two uniformed police officers in the tight end’s driveway.

Police have cut off traffic outside Aaron Hernandez's house http://t.co/ZtbkLIQVPv

Kevin Armstrong (@KevinGArmstrong) June 22, 2013

6:59 p.m.: That will do it for the night. It appears that Hernandez is still at his house in North Attleboro and the action may be done for the day. Check back in tomorrow for more updates on the investigation.

4:59 p.m.: Hernandez’s attorneys have left the North Attleboro home. Hernandez remained inside, though, according to NFL Network.

Hernandez spent much of the day at the Prudential Center in Boston, where his lawyers have offices, according to Boston.com.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network wrote a piece detailing how the Patriots didn’t include a clause in Hernandez’s contract that would protect themselves from a situation like this.

4:54 p.m.: The Patriots’ offense won’t look the same if Hernandez has to miss time in 2013. Here’s how they may replace the fourth-year tight end if needed:

Aaron Hernandez’s Uncertain Future Shines Spotlight on Julian Edelman, Jake Ballard, Zach Sudfeld in 2013

4:45 p.m.: Aaron Hernandez has arrived at his North Attleboro home with his attorneys, according to NFL Network. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network has just tweeted that the District Court had closed for the weekend and that no arrest warrant had been issued connected to the homicide.

The timing of Hernandez’s arrival is interesting. He had not been seen since news helicopters followed him from Gillette Stadium to Boston on Thursday afternoon.

1:21 p.m.: Aaron Hernandez has lost an endorsement deal since being connected to the North Attleboro homicide. Muscle Milk terminated their endorsement contract with Hernandez, according to Darren Rovell of ESPN.

Hernandez has been spotted wearing a Muscle Milk beanie both times the media has spotted the tight end since Monday.

12:37 p.m.: An image has surfaced of the man suing Aaron Hernandez.  Alexander Bradley said the tight end shot him through the arm and into the face, causing the loss of his right eye.

Bradley’s mugshot from April, two months after the shooting, appears to show Bradley without a right eye.

Check it out in the tweet below.

From @jonathanwells10 mug shot of Alexander Bradley taken 2 months after reported shooting involving Aaron Hernandez. http://t.co/rg360BJmp0

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network wrote a piece detailing how the Patriots didn’t include a clause in Hernandez’s contract that would protect themselves from a situation like this.

Do teams normally include clauses in player contracts about what happens if the player is suspected/involved in a homicide investigation?

Do teams normally include clauses in player contracts about what happens if the player is suspected/involved in a homicide investigation?

If a team is concerned about a players character, not necessarily a homicide, but any criminal activity.  Yes

Police enter home of Patriots player Aaron Hernandez

By Wesley Lowery, Mark Arsenault and Juliet Pennington, Globe Staff and Globe Correspondent

NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH -- About a dozen law enforcement officers this afternoon entered the home of New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez, bringing two police dogs and what appeared to be crime scene analysis equipment.

Police arrived in force on the scene around 1:45 p.m.

North Attleborough police directed traffic around the scene, as neighbors gathered to watch with a pack of reporters that has staked out the star tight end’s home for days.

A State Police spokesman declined to comment on the new activity at Hernandez’s home.

Authorities are investigating Hernandez in connection with the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, of Dorchester, whose bullet-ridden body was found in an industrial park near the player’s house on Monday evening.

Two women emerged from the house earlier today, around 11:30 a.m. One of the women moved a silver Nissan Sentra with a vanity license plate that reads “HERNDZ,” out of the driveway so the other woman could back out. As the second woman pulled away, the woman driving the silver car pulled back into the driveway and then entered the house through the home’s three-car garage’s side door.

A little after 12:30, a young woman came out of the house, opened the passenger door of Hernandez’s white Audi. She retrieved some papers and brought them back into the house with her. A little while later, she then left in the silver Nissan with another woman. They returned with a large Chili’s bag.

State law enforcement officials could not be reached for comment on any developments earlier this morning. A spokeswoman for the Bristol County District Attorney’s office declined to comment on the current status of the investigation but said that any major development in the case -- including a warrant, arrest or charges -- would be publicly announced.

On Tuesday, investigators searched Hernandez’s house. Attleboro District Court Clerk Magistrate Mark Sturdy said Friday that three search warrants had been obtained by police investigating Lloyd’s death, but they have not filed the paperwork reporting what, if anything, they have seized.

The star tight end remains under intense public scrutiny. He has not commented on reports that police have recovered video apparently showing him and Lloyd together in Boston early Monday morning, hours before Lloyd was found dead in the industrial park, about a mile from Hernandez’s home.

In Dorchester this morning, at Lloyd’s home on Fayston Street, his mother, Ursula Ward, said her son’s funeral will be held next Saturday morning at the Church of the Holy Spirit of Mattapan in Mattapan. She asked for privacy as her family grieves.

Hernandez spent Thursday night at the Sheraton Hotel, which is connected to the Prudential Center in Boston, where his lawyer’s firm, Ropes and Gray, is located. He returned home around 4:40 p.m. with his attorney, Michael Fee, and one other man, and has not been seen since.

Globe correspondents Nikita Lalwani and Javier Panzar. contributed to this report. Wesley Lowery can be reached at wesley.lowery@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @WesleyLowery. Juliet Pennington can be reached atwriteonjuliet@comcast.net. 

Cossack's take on police activity

June, 22, 2013
Jun 22

2:50

PM ET

By  Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

ESPN legal analyst Roger Cossack was a guest on SportsCenter this afternoon, explaining from his view what the increased police activity at Aaron Hernandez's home could be about.

Some of Cossack's remarks:

1. The activity at the house appears, from his view, to be more search-warrant related than regarding an arrest warrant.

2. “I think this is part of ratcheting up pressure on Hernandez. The fact that the arrest warrant hasn’t been served, but a search warrant is being served, to me is like the police sending signals more and more, saying ‘We’re getting closer, we’re getting closer. We want your cooperation. That’s why the arrest warrant hasn’t been served. There is going to come a time, and there is going to be a line, when we’re not going to ask for cooperation [but] we’re coming after you.’ So I think that’s what is going on right now.”

3. (On what he expects to happen next) “I think this is somewhat of a cat-and-mouse game that’s going on between Hernandez, his lawyer and the police. The fact that Hernandez has not responded yet indicates to me, at least, that there is some serious discussion going on with his attorney. Because no attorney who had the opportunity to self-surrender a client, and work out a deal for him, particularly when you’re talking about a crime of this type – any attorney would want to do it. So the fact that Hernandez is holding out and police are ratcheting up the pressure, to me indicates that eventually there is going to be a line that is crossed and I think you’re going to see Hernandez arrested, for at least obstruction of justice, if not something else.”

Nope not for this one.  This will be 1st degree murder.  Guy was shot in the back of the head execution style. 

I agree.  All this talk about paying someone off to take the rap applies to cases where the guy, if convicted, gets out in a few years.  Then he has the rest of his life to enjoy that big payoff.

Whoever gets convicted of this will likely be going away for the rest of their life-in some other states they would be looking at the death penalty.

Incidentally, my understanding is that you can still get the death penalty for a murder tried in Federal court-even if the murder was committed in a state without the death penalty.

The car was rented in Rhode Island, the murder occurred in Massachusetts-is it possible for the Feds to step in and take over the case?  If they do, wouldn't Hernandez be facing possibility of execution under Federal law?

Hernandez is gonna walk. When they have to bring in the back-up search dog and still come away with nothing, you know the cops have zilch. And they can't really arrest someone for obstruction if they can't prove he had any involvement with the crime. At this point, it's just as likely that Odin was killed by a Russian sniper as it was Hernandez.

If a team is concerned about a players character, not necessarily a homicide, but any criminal activity.  Yes

yeah but how frequently to teams sign a guy where they think, "Hmm, this guy seems like the type to be involved in a murder investigation?" I mean, other stuff I get - drugs, domestic violence, theft, etc... but murder?

yeah but how frequently to teams sign a guy where they think, "Hmm, this guy seems like the type to be involved in a murder investigation?" I mean, other stuff I get - drugs, domestic violence, theft, etc... but murder?

IIRC, it's tied to suspensions, so if a player misses time due to said suspension, the team holds the right to void the contract.

IIRC, it's tied to suspensions, so if a player misses time due to said suspension, the team holds the right to void the contract.

oooh that makes more sense than what I was thinking, haha.

Hernandez is gonna walk. When they have to bring in the back-up search dog and still come away with nothing, you know the cops have zilch. And they can't really arrest someone for obstruction if they can't prove he had any involvement with the crime. At this point, it's just as likely that Odin was killed by a Russian sniper as it was Hernandez.

You're assuming they came away with nothing. But evidence doesn't always fit into a box. As far as search dogs it can take several to cover a home that size. Dogs are not machines. They tire quickly and are less effective the longer they work. If the house was scrubbed, that in itself can be evidence or grounds for obstruction if Hernandez knowingly and willfully attempted to destroy evidence or conceal a crime. Paired with witness testimony, cell phone records, inconsistencies in story and interview, plus myriad other pieces of information that would not be made public prior to an indictment, there can be plenty already known about hernandezs involvement. Often an arrest warrant is best left unserved while evidence is gathered as there are far more restrictions to investigation once a person is in custody. With three suspects, it is generally best to let them sweat and contemplate their futures. Eventually, even a thug is going to go into self preservation mode. And that's when the rest of the evidence comes to bear. Cops are not as stupid as Hollywood would have us believe.

Archived