Revis : Less pressure in Tampa than New York ~ ~ ~

kelly

I think it was about the money.  A CB is not worth $16M/year (and passing up on a 1st round pick plus more).  And certainly not worth it when 1 of those years is going to be for a team starting a massive tear-down-then-rebuild.  One could argue it if the team had a narrow window (like we had - or thought we had - a few years back), where >50% of your core team won't be on the team or nearly as good due to age in 3 years.  Then I could see going for broke (wise or foolish in hindsight, I could see & rationalize doing it).

I have no doubt some of it was personal with Woody.  But in the end it was a stupid amount to pay a CB, particularly one coming off a serious knee injury, hence the massive league-wide disinterest in Revis just 2-3 months ago.  Idzik did a fine job considering his injury history, his holdout history, his demands, and that there was only one suitor; kind of hard to get a bidding war going that way.  He took a lot of heat from a lot of people and have no doubt this was the best possible deal (or anything better would have been insignificantly better).

But while the owner is the same, this is a new GM and in the end it was about the ridiculous money Revis wanted.  An amount so many incorrectly doubted he actually wanted. 

It sounds like, while arguing different points, we're arriving at the same conclusion. I think it was about precedent, and you're saying the money is ridiculous for his position, which wouldn't be much of a jump to then say, you're talking about setting precedent.

What about the defense makes you think we can stop that running game?

And the offense will not be above or even at average.  That's wishful thinking at best, as is thinking Holmes will play week one.

I see that you are a very optimistic person :winking0001: 

Needless to say, run may be a weakness but as long as they don't constantly gash us, we'll be fine.  MM is a good coordinator.  He'll have us to average levels at worst.  Don't worry...

What about the defense makes you think we can stop that running game?

And the offense will not be above or even at average.  That's wishful thinking at best, as is thinking Holmes will play week one.

The Jets D vs their running game will probably be a major key to that game, but I think it's tough to know one way or the other how that will all shake out at this point.  Save for Wilk and Harris, you're talking about an entirely different front 7 than the one the Jets were trotting out there a year ago.

The Jets offense?  That's a whole other story.  At the very least, I can't imagine them being be any worse.

Line play + how good Ivory is...and im leaning towards this offense being a bit better than last year.

And unless Marty can get Sanchez going in the short passing game/dump offs to backs...I expect the passing game to stink again.

Archived