Knicks/Nets offseason scuttlebutt

T0mShane

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so I saw some article saying after next season it will be the best FA market EVAH.  why is melo listed ?  does he have a player option to void out ?  is his contract running out ?  wtf ?

can we afford melo, kobe and LeBron ?  (j/k)

Melo has 2 yrs left on his contract with an opt out after next season.

So the Knicks gave Smith a 4 year deal and let him wait two months to have surgery. How does this make any sense.

I'm guaranteeing that Smith hid it from them and let the Knicks bid against themselves to sign him, then he "surprised" them with the news that his leg was porked.

I'm guaranteeing that Smith hid it from them and let the Knicks bid against themselves to sign him, then he "surprised" them with the news that his leg was porked.

Thats my feeling as well. I'd imagine even if Milwaukee extended a deal, they have the right to see a physical prior to a binding contract?

Bid against themselves?

JR got Carlos Delfino money. Get a grip.

Smith is a one year deal player

A team hopes for that and I would agree that 1 year is ideal, but there was no way he was signing a 1 yr deal with anyone.

Besides, the recovery is not long and timing not that bad. Ive seen players wait until training camp to have surgery. Shaq did that once. He didnt want to ruin his vacation.

lol...so all of a sudden JR's deal is only for 3 years now, with year 3 being a player option. No other teams offered more money than the Knicks did either...possible no one offered anything at all.

Again, JR got Carlos Delfino money. Get a grip.

JR Smith is getting paid half per year than each of the Nets starters.

The contract itself is not the issue.

Again, JR got Carlos Delfino money. Get a grip.

JR Smith is getting paid half per year than each of the Nets starters.

The contract itself is not the issue.

Deal is much better than before. Its just beyond bizarre how the Knicks front office operates. Grunwald didnt even know it was only a 3 year deal.

Deal is much better than before. Its just beyond bizarre how the Knicks front office operates. Grunwald didnt even know it was only a 3 year deal.

While I agree that the NYK FO is perplexing at times, the contract was always good, even at 4 yrs.

This is not an Amare or Joe Johnson contract.

Would you rather have 32 yr old JJ & his planter faciaitis at $21m this year or 27 yr old JR & his knee at $5.5m?

Dolan is The Devil.

No on disputes that. Just like Steinbrenner in the 80s & early 90s was The Devil. Too bad we didn't have internet back then so fans could kill every move Stick Michaels made because of hatred for George.

Agree with the first two sentences.  Not sure on the third.  Even assuming Grunwald is taking orders from CAA, he still knows what is going on.  Why he didn't decide to divulge that the contract was for 3 years... No idea.

Agree with the first two sentences.  Not sure on the third.  Even assuming Grunwald is taking orders from CAA, he still knows what is going on.  Why he didn't decide to divulge that the contract was for 3 years... No idea.

If I were to guess, the top decision makers right now for the Knicks are obviously Dolan and next in command would be Leon Rose. I wont even mention the other guy to save SMC from needing CPR.

If I were to guess, the top decision makers right now for the Knicks are obviously Dolan and next in command would be Leon Rose. I wont even mention the other guy to save SMC from needing CPR.

Funny, but I missed the news reports that Shumpert was actually traded.

George Steinbrenner, at one time, was adamant about trading Derek Jeter, Mariano River, Andy Pettite, and Bernie Williams.

True story.

Funny, but I missed the news reports that Shumpert was actually traded.

George Steinbrenner, at one time, was adamant about trading Derek Jeter, Mariano River, Andy Pettite, and Bernie Williams.

True story.

Jeter was never being shopped. Rivera I think he wanted to deal for Wells in 95....dont recall Bernie other than his flirting with FA and the Red Sox. Pettite got pissed at George at went to Houston.

Jeter was never being shopped. Rivera I think he wanted to deal for Wells in 95....dont recall Bernie other than his flirting with FA and the Red Sox. Pettite got pissed at George at went to Houston.

Steinbrenner actually had a deal in place to trade Mo to Mariners before 96 season for Felix Fermin so they could then shop Jeter. Stick Michael convinced George not to do it.

Steinbrenner also tried to trade Pettite in 99 but Cashman convinced him not to.

Bottom line is that these are owners, not sports people. Fans can just hope that the sports people can intervene to stop the owner from doing something stupid.

Shump is still here and Dolan is still The Devil. Non story

txs.  lets hope he gives the knicks a heads up if he is going to opt out so they can trade him like in denver

Opt out and leave is the key.

Denver wanted to sign Melo to an extension, but he said he would not re-sign with them so they traded him. Knicks arent worried about opt out. Theyre worried he'll opt out and sign with Lakers.

BTW, on an owners note, how much of a clown is Marc Cuban? Not only did he blow up a championship roster on a pipe dream, but now he says the team doesnt need Howard. Really? Then why did you offer him $90 m?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived