Erik Ainge defends Mark; says he's just dumb.

T0mShane

Former teammate: Sanchez “dumb while being dumb”

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 28, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/28/former-teammate-sanchez-dumb-while-being-dumb/

The Jets haven’t said much about the Mark Sanchez bare-butt video that made the rounds this week — largely because there might not be that much to say about it.

But one of his old teammates is taking credit for keeping more such videos off the internet, and said Sanchez is mostly “stupid” when it comes to his public image.

In an interview with Kristian Dyer of Metro.us, former Jets quarterback Erik Ainge said he protected Sanchez from a similar incident in 2009, when he smashed a cell phone which someone was using to videotape a streaking Sanchez.

“There were numerous times when things would happen, when things would go down, articles of clothing would be removed,” Ainge said. “Mark is goofy. He played truth or dare. He was kind of awkward around girls, so he needed other people around him to help him out. I was good at that — there were other guys who were good with that. So we’d help him out and talk him through his awkwardness.”

Ainge, now a radio talk show host in Tennessee, described Sanchez as naive.

“He’s been a target in college and now he’s a target in the NFL,” Ainge said. “Now it’s become a thing to try and catch Mark doing something stupid. He’s never breaking the law. Look at Aaron Hernandez, Mark Sanchez is child’s play in the NFL, as far as off-the-field stuff. I’d know as good as anybody — what Mark does off the field is child’s play. He’s dumb about it. He’s stupid while being stupid. You have to be smart while being stupid, and he’s dumb while being dumb. Look at the butt video. He needs someone he trusts there when Mark wants to go streaking through his own condo.”

Frankly, Ainge doesn’t sound like the kind of wingman you’d want — primarily because he’s talking way too much, and generally overstating his own role in this thing. He’s also dealt with his own issues in his short NFL career.

And in the grand scheme of things, Sanchez isn’t really doing anything to harm anyone. There’s some wine, there’s some women, there’s a few bars of “Pants on the Ground.”

Until someone comes up with something that’s illegal or dangerous, it’s hard to muster up the appropriate indignation for this one.

I agree with Ainge, not sure why the author tries to spin it and take a shot at him. All he's saying is, Mark is naive and immature, and while it's okay that he likes to goof around, he has to make sure he's smartly surrounding himself with people that have his best interests (see: privacy) in mind. 

So that he doesn't end up looking like a dope. Even if he is a dope.

Ainge is saying what most of us already know: Sanchez is an immature goof ball. I don't get why the author is trying to demonize him for talking about Sanchez being an immature goof ball, or for trying to protect Sanchez from his own immaturity.

That said, Mark, just keep your clothes on. It's easier on all of us.

"Until someone comes up with something that’s illegal or dangerous,"

Must be putting this line in as a double entendre; What was the girl exhaling at the end of the video?

Who cares? It was the girl, not Mark. All he was doing was jumping around like one of the girls. Nothing illegal about a mo-mo hanging out with a couple of fag hags. 

Why is everybody defending Ainge?  If what he said is true, fine, but he is bashing his former teammate about stuff that happened when they went out as friends.  He also basically gave up Sanchez on another inicident which nobody knew about.  Seems kind of lame to say "If it weren't for me, everybody would know that Mark went streaking"  Guess what, they know now.  

Why is everybody defending Ainge?  If what he said is true, fine, but he is bashing his former teammate about stuff that happened when they went out as friends.  He also basically gave up Sanchez on another inicident which nobody knew about.  Seems kind of lame to say "If it weren't for me, everybody would know that Mark went streaking"  Guess what, they know now.  

He's not "bashing" him. He's just matter-of-factly saying he's dumb about being dumb, which is doing Mark a favor, tbh.

And you know what, it's lame to be a starting NFL QB who needs to be baby-sat by Eric effin' Ainge. Ainge is just telling it like it is. Mark is the one that needs to out-grow that sh*t. You want to get naked with chicks? No problem. BUT don't let that sh*t end up on the internet and become yet another distraction as you lead your team into another failed season, especially when you are the achilles heel.

Mark's the guy who will pull the all nighter and get a D.

This makes sense, as he has no idea how to read a defense or manipulate the LOS to his benefit. He doesn't have the mental capacity to be a good NFL player. The game just moves way too fast for his slow tard brain.

He's not "bashing" him. He's just matter-of-factly saying he's dumb about being dumb, which is doing Mark a favor, tbh.

And you know what, it's lame to be a starting NFL QB who needs to be baby-sat by Eric effin' Ainge. Ainge is just telling it like it is. Mark is the one that needs to out-grow that sh*t. You want to get naked with chicks? No problem. BUT don't let that sh*t end up on the internet and become yet another distraction as you lead your team into another failed season, especially when you are the achilles heel.

He's matter of factly dumping on a friend because he has a radio show.  It's a douchebag move. Like Erik Ainge was getting any tail without Mark Sanchez around, but Mark is awkward around girls?  This ******* guy was probably bouncing around going "I'm Danny Ainge's nephew."  Mark didn't know how to handle himself?  He didn't end up in rehab.  I can understand and sympathize with addiction, but it doesn't seem right to say Mark doesn't know how to handle himself when this genius pissed away a half mill plus a year because he couldn't handle himself.  All he had to do was beat out Greg McElroy.  If what he says is true Sanchez has no beef, but it's still not cool, so I don't have a problem with the press saying it. 

He's matter of factly dumping on a friend because he has a radio show. It's a douchebag move. Like Erik Ainge was getting any tail without Mark Sanchez around, but Mark is awkward around girls? This ******* guy was probably bouncing around going "I'm Danny Ainge's nephew." Mark didn't know how to handle himself? He didn't end up in rehab. I can understand and sympathize with addiction, but it doesn't seem right to say Mark doesn't know how to handle himself when this genius pissed away a half mill plus a year because he couldn't handle himself. All he had to do was beat out Greg McElroy. If what he says is true Sanchez has no beef, but it's still not cool, so I don't have a problem with the press saying it.

100% conjecture. Surprised you give a sh*t tbh, lol

I don't like what Ainge said either, but in fairness he was very honest when he was in recovery about his own condition, and when asked about a possible return to the NFL, he said that he cares only about his own recovery and that he would worry about it later.

Honesty and openness seems to be the key to recovery, so Ainge is still in that frame of mind.

Only thing here is, he's not being honest about his own failings, he's being honest about somebody else's, which is less admirable.

Is Ainge serious? Listen to what he's saying- "Mark is awkward around girls and acts like an idiot, so we had to keep him in line and help him talk to girls normally."

Oh ok Erik. So as Mark is out slaying supermodels and A-list celebrities, it was all because you showed him the tricks of the trade.

GTFOutta here with that noise

I could see Mark Sanchez being super awkward to be around. He's never struck me as "smooth."

Seriously? Complain about his mechanics, or decision-making, or touch, or accuracy....but he's as "smooth" as they come in media interviews.

His only blunder in that capacity was his pre-written media speech stunt, in his rookie year IIRC.

He's good with a mic, great with the girls, and "decent" with a football. I support him. Fu€k Ainge.

Seriously? Complain about his mechanics, or decision-making, or touch, or accuracy....but he's as "smooth" as they come in media interviews.

His only blunder in that capacity was his pre-written media speech stunt, in his rookie year IIRC.

He's good with a mic, great with the girls, and "decent" with a football. I support him. Fu€k Ainge.

Ok Mark.

Archived